HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Leafs Trying to Trade Up for Tavares

Old
05-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
If Schenn is Foote II, I can only hope that Burke doesn't consider trading him. What I'm wondering is why you act like a Foote type defenceman is a bad thing. If that's who he is, there's no way I'd deal him with other valuable assets (Kaberle, 7th overall) for Tavares. Others might feel differently, but thats my perspective.

Honestly, I've been saying this for a while, but as far as I can tell, these people don't exist. You keep referring to these "fantasy homers" - who are they? I don't think anybody would suggest that the NYI care what Burke says. You, on the other hand, obviously do.
YOu might want to take a quick peek at the Toronto board.

05-09-2009, 05:11 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
As I posted.I read a Burke comment saying basically that other teams may have lost faith in Tavares because of his postseason,Burke hoped they had.The article's on the web.I just don't care enough to search for it.
Sure, Burke said that several weeks ago. I still don't see what this has to do with your claim that they're assuming the Isles care what Burke says. That's what I'm disagreeing with you about, obviously they're going to write articles about the draft.

Right now, you have the first overall. Why do you care what they write? I just don't get it. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you keep writing these things over and over again, and it seems disconnected from reality. I promise you, nothing would make the Toronto media happier than writing all sorts of articles about how Burke blew it at the draft. It's all they know, and they've had lots of practice over the years.

grabo84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Sure, Burke said that several weeks ago. I still don't see what this has to do with your claim that they're assuming the Isles care what Burke says. That's what I'm disagreeing with you about, obviously they're going to write articles about the draft.

Right now, you have the first overall. Why do you care what they write? I just don't get it. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you keep writing these things over and over again, and it seems disconnected from reality. I promise you, nothing would make the Toronto media happier than writing all sorts of articles about how Burke blew it at the draft. It's all they know, and they've had lots of practice over the years.
Do you ever see the NY media, or anybody in NY, writing endless articles about how we're going to acquire Toronto's picks, Toronto's players, etc?

I think a lot of Islander fans are just tired of the obsession some Leaf fans (and the Leaf media) has with the Isles. It is pretty annoying.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 05:36 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
To NYI: Schenn, 1st, Kulemin

To Toronto: 1st, 4th

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
As I posted.I read a Burke comment saying basically that other teams may have lost faith in Tavares because of his postseason,Burke hoped they had.The article's on the web.I just don't care enough to search for it.
i did too crew it was a piece making fun of the new york media, claiming we were spooked by burke, it even had a picture of a voodoo doll at the top. it was a toronto sports blog dreger posts on.

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Buck View Post

Sigh.

I rest my case.

Old
05-09-2009, 05:53 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Sigh.

I rest my case.
I know how you people feel. I feel organizational depth is important than a superstar player at this point. This is the kind of thing that kept us in mediocrity the last 40 years. No true good players to surround your top guys.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 05:54 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Sigh.

I rest my case.
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa u so funnneeeeeeeeeeeee!

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Do you ever see the NY media, or anybody in NY, writing endless articles about how we're going to acquire Toronto's picks, Toronto's players, etc?

I think a lot of Islander fans are just tired of the obsession some Leaf fans (and the Leaf media) has with the Isles. It is pretty annoying.
come on Darth thats not fair, you and I both know the New York media, doesn't even consider Toronto to be anything other than some pissant redneck backwater hole in the wall, Heck the Times recently wondered if the Toronto back Alleys were where the citizens kept their outhouses

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 06:03 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Burke did say that there were teams that do not have Tavares ranked number one and that is why he feels he is attainable.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 06:05 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
Gotta give to get.

Don't wanna give -- then you're not gonna get.

Sorry.
Agreed . Leafs won't be completing some ridiculous trades such as the Schenn + 1st + Kulemin for NYI's 1st ..... It just won't happen really .

And there are people in this page that just should quit with this BS .

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
I know how you people feel. I feel organizational depth is important than a superstar player at this point. This is the kind of thing that kept us in mediocrity the last 40 years. No true good players to surround your top guys.

Brian Burke is not a stupid man. He is about the shrewdest executive out there. He is not going to decimate the Leafs to acquire Tavares or any other player.

Old
05-09-2009, 06:09 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:

Read my comments again.I care about what tavares is saying,his opinions.

Go to the nyi board and check my posts from the last 4 weeks.You'll find maybe 4-5 comments about Burke in total and most of those where made right after the draft lottery.I'm more amused that Burke expects to trade into the top 2 without including Schenn then anything else.I find Burke to be a blowhard

as for this trade board..if someone starts a thread about acquiring the 1st overall pick or Tavares,should it really be a surprise that a nyi fan comes in an post about the team/gm mentioned in the thread?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 06:12 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Buck View Post

Counter offer-

To Toronto:26th overall,Tambellini,Leafs 2nd
To NYI:7th overall

Old
05-09-2009, 06:30 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I think the Leafs will get Tavares.

The Isles and Bolts can't afford NOT to take part in a deal where they get a top pick AND a load of quality players (ie. Kaberle, Ponikarovsky, etc). Both of these teams are in tough situations in the state of the economy, and while they are rebuilding, they also need to start winning now.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 06:40 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post

The Isles and Bolts can't afford NOT to take part in a deal where they get a top pick AND a load of quality players (ie. Kaberle, Ponikarovsky, etc). Both of these teams are in tough situations in the state of the economy, and while they are rebuilding, they also need to start winning now.

13 draft picks last yr.11 draft picks going into this yr's draft.Yeah the isles really need more bodies

Wang's asking for fans/voters to come out and publicly pressure the politicans, who are footdragging on his $3 billion dollar deal in this election yr.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...lumn?track=rss

This is especially important for a franchise that is in the market for a new store. Tavares can be the best salesman Charles Wang could ever recruit for his $3-billion Nassau Coliseum development plan called the Lighthouse. Fans already are clamoring to get Tavares and they sure will clamor to keep him, and the rest of the Islanders. They will become even more adamant about supporting the Lighthouse plan, which they believe is the only way to ensure that the team stays on Long Island.

Old
05-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Liminality

Quote:
Sigh.

I rest my case.
I can't believe you couldn't tell he wasn't a leaf fan.
lmao

Liminality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 07:03 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I think the Isles would be willing to trade the pick, but if and only if the Leafs paid up the wazoo. It would probably be something like Blake, Poni, Grabovsky, Schenn, Kabs, White, and the Leafs first rounder for the first overall, 5th rounder and a crappy prospect.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 07:16 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Invisible Poster View Post
Established NHLers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the potential of any undrafted kid.
Tyler Arnason >>>>>>>> Victor Hedman then ?

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 07:17 PM
DougGilmour93

Quote:
Counter offer-

To Toronto:26th overall,Tambellini,Leafs 2nd
To NYI:7th overall
Hate to say it but that's quite terrible...no offense

DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 07:28 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
I think the Isles would be willing to trade the pick, but if and only if the Leafs paid up the wazoo. It would probably be something like Blake, Poni, Grabovsky, Schenn, Kabs, White, and the Leafs first rounder for the first overall, 5th rounder and a crappy prospect.

C'mon, the only two things of real interest to the rebuilding isles would be Schenn+the leafs first.

Blake-Isles wouldn't budge off their 3 yr/$10m offer when he was coming off a 40 goal season.Rebuilding Isles don't want Blake back.

Grabovsky- a russian player, who the Leafs are having trouble reaching a contract agreement with.You really think the Isles want that headache, after seeing Grebs leave for the KHL after being demoted a few yrs ago?

Kaberle-Streit fills his role.

White-Isles will have small offensive d-men Gervias and Hillen on the roster.

Poni-Isles wouldn't be in the mix for the 29 yr old.

Old
05-09-2009, 07:32 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
Hate to say it but that's quite terrible...no offense
Not much worse then expecting a team building with youth, to trade away 1st overall for 31 yr old kaberle and 7th overall.

Old
05-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post

The economic factors are exactly why Snow has said he won't trade the pick. Wang is desperately trying to get the Hub built and would love a young star like Tavares to draw the fans when it comes on line.

That said, I'm sure that every GM sees Kaberle and Ponikarovsky as guys who can lead them to win now, give the heights those guys have led Toronto to in recent year.

Old
05-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Sigh.

I rest my case.
Amen.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 09:26 PM
DougGilmour93

Quote:
Not much worse then expecting a team building with youth, to trade away 1st overall for 31 yr old kaberle and 7th overall.
I don't expect Toronto to deal for the 1st overall. The 2nd overall pick is what I think is somewhat possible.

DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote