HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eklund Warning... Phaneuf Rumour

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-07-2009, 10:46 PM
  #26
Gold Pads*
HE SHOOTS HE SCORES!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
If that is the case (a contingent deal) and these are accepted by the league I would do it. I dig Phaneuf tons but we get a paralell replacement in JB and dump salary in return for great young players to help Florida save face to their fans. Florida must be nervous watching the happenings in Phoenix as well on a side note. If you want hockey in places like that you need to be competitive.

This deal is a no brainer IMO
Cheers, GoFlames. It's been nice hashing it out with you.

Even though it's all speculation, I'd be thrilled if what we just worked out actually happened.

I love Phaneuf but come on.....

Gold Pads* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 10:56 PM
  #27
Noori
Registered User
 
Noori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,729
vCash: 763
With Cammy and Oakie gone next year, we have enough cap space to sign Bouwmeester for 6-6.5 million. And if we wanted Cammy as well, we could ship Langkow elsewhere for picks/prospects and use that money to sign Cammalleri for 5-5.5 million. Langkow's replacement would be Mikael Backlund.

Something like

Cammalleri-Jokinen-Iginla
Bourque-Backlund-Moss
GlenX-Conroy-Lundmark
Nystrom-Boyd-Peters
Primeau

Phaneuf-Bouwmeester
Regehr-Sarich
Pardy-Giordano
Vandermeer

Kipper
Backup

Which would leave us about a million under the cap. If we could somehow dump Primeau/Vandermeer's salary, then we'd have another 3.7 to find a decent backup and pay our 13th forward/7th d-men with some cap space left over. Numbers aren't precise since i didn't use a calculator.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 11:14 PM
  #28
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Dust Buster
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,344
vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
With Cammy and Oakie gone next year, we have enough cap space to sign Bouwmeester for 6-6.5 million. And if we wanted Cammy as well, we could ship Langkow elsewhere for picks/prospects and use that money to sign Cammalleri for 5-5.5 million. Langkow's replacement would be Mikael Backlund.

Something like

Cammalleri-Jokinen-Iginla
Bourque-Backlund-Moss
GlenX-Conroy-Lundmark
Nystrom-Boyd-Peters
Primeau

Phaneuf-Bouwmeester
Regehr-Sarich
Pardy-Giordano
Vandermeer

Kipper
Backup

Which would leave us about a million under the cap. If we could somehow dump Primeau/Vandermeer's salary, then we'd have another 3.7 to find a decent backup and pay our 13th forward/7th d-men with some cap space left over. Numbers aren't precise since i didn't use a calculator.

I actually really like this deal. I like Langkow and all, but the fact is now that we have Joki, we have 2nd line centre at around 5 mil. Trade Langkow to free up salary and keep Dion. Doubt Florida would do this, but if they did that would be amazing.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 11:23 PM
  #29
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,690
vCash: 500
Sure if Florida wants Langkow instead of Phaneuf that is good too.... and my preference. I want to see a PP with Phaneuf and JB on the blue line...

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 11:38 PM
  #30
Noori
Registered User
 
Noori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,729
vCash: 763
Langkow doesn't have to go to Florida. As Lunatik mentioned in another thread, with Koivu's possible departure, Montreal may be looking for a solid centerman. We could easily get Jaroslav Halak. This, IMO, would be ideal.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 01:52 AM
  #31
bananaz
Registered User
 
bananaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flames89 View Post
What about this then?

-Phaneuf
-Primeau
-Vandermeer
-Wahl

for

-Bouwmeesters rights (remember, not worth *too much*)
-Booth
-Matthias
-1st round pick (their choice '09 or '10)*OR* Ellerby (still their choice)

Any better? Could this get it done, in your opinion? If I'm the GM of the Flames, I'd do this.
all of these deals are good for the flames, but none of them solve the panthers needs. you take out their 2nd leading scorer (booth) and replace him with primeau...i just dont see package you listed will meet floridas standards.

what im most troubled by is your guys proposals to trade phaneuf. i still see him as a long term investment, one that the flames must not give up on. i firmly believe that he will have a bounce back season next year.

lastly, for those on proposing trades involving langkow: you're out of your minds. sure he didnt play as well this year, but you cannot trade a veteran two-way centre and replace him with an unknown in backlund.

bananaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 11:15 AM
  #32
Flames92
Registered User
 
Flames92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,190
vCash: 500
OMG these stupid phaneuf rumors are pissing me off, even after sutter said hes not moving his core they still have rumors goin around.. cmon the guy is 24 give him a break hell bounce back!!!

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 01:12 PM
  #33
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,690
vCash: 500
It has nothing to due with thinking about dumping Phaneuf under the bus because of one sub par year when he bazttled injuries. That is not even close to the issue. The issue is the chance to keep Dion (and maybe trade for a paralell replacement in JB) and dump salary for youth. I would like Phaneuf and JB... I just do not think Florida will let him walk though and if Calgary wants him they had better try before July 1.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 01:13 PM
  #34
Buttonwood
$$$
 
Buttonwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Coast
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,520
vCash: 924
I would rather have Bouwmeester than Phaneuf to be honest. When Phaneuf is on he is all over the ice, a big risk, big reward player. I like Bouwmeester's steadiness. Seeing them together would be pretty special though.

How to make it work for both teams? Phaneuf still has plenty of value, but Florida can't watch all of their assets go to Calgary just to replace Bouwmeester. The discrepancy in value (we are getting Bouwmeester, but his value is small) is a real non starter in a potential trade, as much sense as it may make.

Buttonwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 01:50 PM
  #35
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,690
vCash: 500
Well as of now Florida gets zero for JB (july 1)... so for Florida it will come down to what reward can they possibly get to save face to their fans etc. I know they will not want Olli lol but the Flames are not short of assets to acqurie him with. It will prove interesting but I would love to have Phaneuf and Jay Bo on the team. Maybe they could swap negotiating rights for Cammy in there as well to sweeten the pot.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 02:03 PM
  #36
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
this isn't going to happen... this is just like the rumors he started of Phaneuf to NJ last summer

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 04:13 PM
  #37
Pacem
Registered User
 
Pacem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Langley
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,328
vCash: 500
I'm new to online message boards for hockey talk. So prior to finding and then registering to this site, I basically used tsn/sportsnet for all my hockey news and such.

I've heard of Eklund alot since i've been here and today was the first time I actually thought, "hey, I'll look this guy up and see what people are talking about..."

Seems like he's quite an idiot. I'm likely to not believe anything thats based on what this guy says.

Phaneuf to NJ last Summer? hmmmm, cause of Brent Sutter I guess? This Eklund guy sure seems to speculate pure crap.

His source for this is prolly some guy who used to work the ticket booth at the Florida Panthers arena and suggested that he thinks Jay Bo wants to go to Calgary for sure, and it'd be nice if Florida could trade for Phaneuf to replace Jay Bo.

Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 04:25 PM
  #38
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,690
vCash: 500
Ergo the use of the word "warning" in the thread title.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 04:44 PM
  #39
Pacem
Registered User
 
Pacem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Langley
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
Ergo the use of the word "warning" in the thread title.
Yup, makes sense

I'm learning slowly but surely

Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 05:37 PM
  #40
ComixZone
Registered User
 
ComixZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,711
vCash: 500
Bourque - Langkow - Iginla
Backlund - Jokinen - Moss
Glencross - Conroy - Pahlsson
Nystrom - Boyd - Peters
Lundmark

Phaneuf - Bouwmeester
Regehr - Pardy
Giordano - Sarich
Pelech

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 07:06 PM
  #41
bam09
Registered User
 
bam09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Guys,, before you rip on Eklund, he is just reporting what he heard. I know some of it comes from left field, but listen. Say Sutter phoned Martin and said:

Sutter: what will it takes for Bouwmeester's rights?
Martin: We will give him in a package for Phaneuf.
Sutter: Ehh no thanks.

Now Eklund would get a phone call, and the speaker would say Phaneuf-Bouwmeester package is being thrown around. He writes it, and it gets people listening.

Besides, how many trade combinations do you think are being thrown around? He nailed Olli to Calgary a while ago, I mean Sutter was probably gaga over this guy, and eklund heard it.

Just don't take him like it's definite, but don't rip him either, because at one point he killed your dreams.

bam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 07:29 PM
  #42
Gold Pads*
HE SHOOTS HE SCORES!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam09 View Post
Guys,, before you rip on Eklund, he is just reporting what he heard. I know some of it comes from left field, but listen. Say Sutter phoned Martin and said:

Sutter: what will it takes for Bouwmeester's rights?
Martin: We will give him in a package for Phaneuf.
Sutter: Ehh no thanks.

Now Eklund would get a phone call, and the speaker would say Phaneuf-Bouwmeester package is being thrown around. He writes it, and it gets people listening.

Besides, how many trade combinations do you think are being thrown around? He nailed Olli to Calgary a while ago, I mean Sutter was probably gaga over this guy, and eklund heard it.

Just don't take him like it's definite, but don't rip him either, because at one point he killed your dreams.
You could be exactly right, bam. I see alot of motivation here on both sides though. To me, I could see it being more like, Martin calls Calgary....'Listen, we both know he wants to go to your team and we both know you have some cap concerns and losing Cammalleri amongst others means you've got some spots to fill....'

I'm not saying I think that's what happened here, and I don't touch most trade rumors because there are so many out there all the time and most are plain crazy. But this one does make some sense for both sides.

Florida has to love that there are 5 years left on Dion's deal, for what they offered J-Bo anyways. And it is debatable as to which is better. They have lots of good young forwards and without J-Bo, no real stars on the back end, for years to come.

I'm not willing to say it will happen, of course. That would be foolish. But i'm saying this one *could* happen, in my opinion. It does seem to make some sense for both sides, depending on the players involved. As for that, we can only guess. I really think Booth would have tio be a part of it though.

Gold Pads* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 07:47 PM
  #43
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Dust Buster
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,344
vCash: 643
I am not totally sure how it would happen to get J-bo here, but I do know this.

Fact: J-bo obviously likes this city, he is building a home here and apparently he has a girlfriend that lives here.

Fact: He is not resiging in Florida (don't blame him)

Fact: Sutter has been rumoured to have an interest in J-bo for a couple of years now (similar to Joki, and we know how that ended up)

I am not saying by any stretch that this guarantees anything by a long shot because there are alot of variables and what-ifs that would have to happen. But you would have to think that it is a likely a scenario that he could end up here.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 07:57 PM
  #44
Gold Pads*
HE SHOOTS HE SCORES!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I am not totally sure how it would happen to get J-bo here, but I do know this.

Fact: J-bo obviously likes this city, he is building a home here and apparently he has a girlfriend that lives here.

Fact: He is not resiging in Florida (don't blame him)

Fact: Sutter has been rumoured to have an interest in J-bo for a couple of years now (similar to Joki, and we know how that ended up)

I am not saying by any stretch that this guarantees anything by a long shot because there are alot of variables and what-ifs that would have to happen. But you would have to think that it is a likely a scenario that he could end up here.
I don't disagree with a single thing you've said here. In fact I'm not sure I could agree more with anything you've said here. But I still don't want to get my hopes too high.

Also, this is a big part of why I could see some truth in this particular rumor. Anyways, this really could end up being an intersting summer for Flames fans, I think.

Gold Pads* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 11:42 PM
  #45
kmart8
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
Negotiating rights to Camilerri for Negotiating rights for J Bou anyone?

kmart8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 12:17 AM
  #46
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Dust Buster
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,344
vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by flames89 View Post
I don't disagree with a single thing you've said here. In fact I'm not sure I could agree more with anything you've said here. But I still don't want to get my hopes too high.

Also, this is a big part of why I could see some truth in this particular rumor. Anyways, this really could end up being an intersting summer for Flames fans, I think.
Thank you, the other thing that I would like to point out is this. Sutter has clearly said that he DOES NOT WANT TO CHANGE HIS CORE. How many times when GM's have said (including Sutter) and it is prelude to a big move. Again, I am not saying it will happen, but I think the all ingredients are there.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 10:23 AM
  #47
Treliving The Dream
Registered User
 
Treliving The Dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Cool View Post
Bourque - Langkow - Iginla
Backlund - Jokinen - Moss
Glencross - Conroy - Pahlsson
Nystrom - Boyd - Peters
Lundmark

Phaneuf - Bouwmeester
Regehr - Pardy
Giordano - Sarich
Pelech
Primeau and Vandermeer say hi.

Treliving The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 10:59 AM
  #48
ComixZone
Registered User
 
ComixZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY View Post
Primeau and Vandermeer say hi.
They're clearly in the minors or traded for a pick or prospect (not a good one, either)

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 11:19 AM
  #49
Treliving The Dream
Registered User
 
Treliving The Dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Cool View Post
They're clearly in the minors or traded for a pick or prospect (not a good one, either)
Everybody seems to have forgotten that Primeau is an excellent fourth liner. Unless he's traded this summer (I can't see him being traded, his value is low), he'll be on the roster as the fourth line centre or in the press box as the 13th forward. He isn't a guy you want wasting away in the minors. What if a forward gets injuried? Call up a guy with little experience or dress Primeau?

Vandermeer won't be traded either. What team is going to want a 6th/7th defenseman with a $2.3 million cap hit? I could see him being sent down, but that's very unlikely.

Treliving The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 02:03 PM
  #50
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,690
vCash: 500
I really dig Primeau but the injury bug seems to have a grip on him. When he is healthy, he is the obvious choice for a fourth line centre but Peters dig such a good job and should be cheap to re-sign... Keenan gave Peters plenty of ice time in the Chicago series which says a lot to me.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.