Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Eklund Warning... Phaneuf Rumour

Old
05-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Pacem

vCash: 500
hockeybuzzhogwash.com

Very funny website. Once you get past alot of the BS insults they throw at Eklund, making fun of his grammer and spelling and stuff you'll realize how much of a hack this guy is. They throw alot of stupid insults at him so you have to read the website with a grain of salt, and weed thru all the crap.

There's alot of time stamped stuff. 10:01a ESPN reports this, then at 10:10a Eklund reports the same thing with his e5 rating and such. Thats not a specific example obviously but there's alot of them. There was even a guy (not Eklund) who blogged about something and he gave TSN credit then like 7mins later Eklund has it posted like he broke the story saying e5. Then there was the recap when he did a deadline show on sportsnet one year I guess, 2007 IIRC. Was off alot.

He may just be reporting what he "hears" but with his whole "e" attached to it nulifies that. The hockey insiders that we see on TV, will say "im hearing". Or there are "talks about x player possibly going doing this". Which im fine with, I find it interesting. Very rarely do they go out on a limb and say, "for sure x player is going y team and have it be very wrong. Where Eklund on numerous occassions has had e4 e5 rumours which are near definite be completely wrong.

If he was just constantly reporting what he heard he'd be more reputable, but attaching those ratings to his rumours kinda shows how much of a hack he is.

Just my opinion, but after reading up on him and his rumours i'll give this guy no more attention. Good on him for creating an awesome business model tho. Reporting rumours, never having to be right and charging people for it. Good on him

Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Gold Pads*
HE SHOOTS HE SCORES!

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...an-the/1/21311

Quote:
Bouwmeester:
The Flames really are leading the way here, and that really means that Dion Phaneuf is going to be on the move I am told. Likely at the Draft.

This rumor is still going. It could be an even more interesting draft for the Flames than last year, if Phaneuf is in play. And it could be that Florida is involved because the Flames will want to deal Phaneuf for a first round pick, plus players at the draft, where prices seem to be a bit higher.

But at the same time they don't want to trade Dion away without being certain that J-Bo will indeed sign here. So negotiating rights would need to be in our hands, with prior contact permission to get the deal done (terms agreed on) as soon as rights are landed, before Phaneuf will be dealt.

It's also a possibility that another team could obtain J-Bo's rights and use them in a trade to the Flames. But it would be simpler if the Panthers are Dions next stop. And you know they love the fact that he's signed for 5 more years, with no NTC. It's getting more interesting, IMHO.

Gold Pads* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Lunatik*

Phaneuf is going nowhere... Eklund is an ass clown

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 04:53 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
Phaneuf is going nowhere... Eklund is an ass clown

That pretty much sums it up.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 05:02 PM
GoFlames

If the Flames get Jay Bouw it would ideally be as a UFA... having both Phaneuf and JB. Then our top four would be awesome, Phaneuf, Bouwmeester, Regehr and Sarich. Have guys like Giordano, Pardy and Pelech for the bototm 3, young, mobile and tough.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Lunatik*

personally I think if there is a trade for J.Bo it would be more likely to involve Regehr than Phaneuf... the Panthers would be looking for a defensive rock to replace Bouwmeester and Regehr's physical presence and leadership would be ideal for Florida... but regardless any trade involving any bog name players for J.Bo would have to involve him having a contract agreement in place with the new team

Old
05-24-2009, 05:25 PM
GoFlames

Hmmm true, does #28 have a NMC or NTC? That would be an interesting idea. I would hate to see Regehr traded as he is the rock that Flames can count on. Is JB as solid defensively as Regehr?

Either way, from the Miami Herald an adticle posted on the Panthers page. They are obviously following the Keenan firing there with his past there:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...n-calgary.html

Old
05-24-2009, 08:00 PM
abracanada

I couldn't see Phaneuf going for negotiation rights to Bouwmeester, however those rights and a first round draft? That might be interesting.

The latest according to Ecklund:

Bouwmeester:
The Flames really are leading the way here, and that really means that Dion Phaneuf is going to be on the move I am told. Likely at the Draft.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 11:08 PM
cross16

Who honestly believe Phaneuf is going to get moved? Sutter has nothing but praise for him even during the tough season, and praised his desrie to play hurt. He isn't going anywhere, not even worth thinking about for 2 seconds.

cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 02:48 AM
Oblivion

I don't see Boumeester signing here and I still like Phaneuf. Boumeester's contract is going to be huge and the amount we'll need to deal away to make room will hurt the roster more than his acquisition.

He's a great d-man, but I feel his value will be inflated and his deal will be huge. Watch the Rangers sign him and ice a 12 man roster all season like we did at the end of this season.

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Body Checker

One remote possibility is if Phaneuf has asked for a trade. Maybe wants to go to California to be closer to his girlfriend. Cue the Oiler trolls laughing at us like we did on them on Pronger.

If this was ever true I would want Sutter to go after one of the top 5 picks in the draft along with one or two prospects or young players:

1. Phaenuf to LA for Thomas Hickey, Ted Purcell, # 5 pick OR

2. Phaneuf to TB for # 2 pick

3. Phaneuf to Atlanta for Ondrej Pavelec, Colby Armstrong, #4 pick

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 04:18 PM
GoFlames

I think the suggestion Lunatik made of the likely trade back to Florida if this is even remotely accurate would be Regehr... I would prefer Sarich but this could all be Eklund hot air... who knows but it keeps the off season entertaining

Old
05-25-2009, 05:43 PM
Dean Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
One remote possibility is if Phaneuf has asked for a trade. Maybe wants to go to California to be closer to his girlfriend. Cue the Oiler trolls laughing at us like we did on them on Pronger.

If this was ever true I would want Sutter to go after one of the top 5 picks in the draft along with one or two prospects or young players:

I'd hate to see the flames trade DF..IMO, that would not be such a wise move, however...if he is dealt, I could live with your first option.

Dean Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 06:24 PM
bam09

I don't know what I want to do with Phaneuf. On one hand, he could become a viable Norris candidate year in and year out, OR he may become the next Bryan McCabe or Ed Jovanoski.

Either way, I'd prefer not to trade him for Bouwmeester, unless the package includes one or 2 of: Markstrom, Mathias, Frolik, Ellerby or a first or 2.

bam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 08:18 PM
Gold Pads*
HE SHOOTS HE SCORES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post

I think these are pretty nice and realistic looking options. If the 3 were on the table, I'd ask each team to take on some salary dumping in the form of Vandermeer and Primeau. If one team says okay, there's your deal because I'd be tempted enough to take any of those 3 offers, if I were Sutter. Nicely done.

That said, just to entertain the idea a little further, the #2 pick would be obvious. You take whichever of the big 2 is left. If I had the 4th or 5th pick, I'd be looking for Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson first and if he's not there, my second choice would be Duchene or Schenn. I'm not as high on Kane as others seem to be.

Last edited by Gold Pads*: 05-25-2009 at 08:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old
05-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Gold Pads*
HE SHOOTS HE SCORES!

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...-Tampa/1/21381

Not only is this not going away but it's up to an (e4) now.

My ears are perked. I'm really starting to believe this is going to happen. If it does, I'll be interested to see how close we were on this thread at identifying the pieces.

Old
05-29-2009, 05:59 PM
jeremywilhelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames89 View Post
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...-Tampa/1/21381

Not only is this not going away but it's up to an (e4) now.

My ears are perked. I'm really starting to believe this is going to happen. If it does, I'll be interested to see how close we were on this thread at identifying the pieces.
I really hope this was meant to be sarcastic. Because if it wasnt, I have a bridge i would like to sell you....

please direct gullibility to here:

http://hockeybuzzhogwash.com/

enjoy!

Last edited by jeremywilhelm: 05-29-2009 at 06:04 PM.
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 06:05 PM
*OvechKiN*

Phaneuf will NOT be traded, especially not for someones RIGHTS.
If Bouwmeester wants to sign in Calgary as his first choice, he can wait an extra month to start talking with Sutter. He is in no rush to sign with whoever gets his negotiation rights. His value does NOT diminish, but rather increases once he is able to talk to all teams!

We CAN fit Jay Bouwmeester under the cap without trading Phaneuf.
Cammalleri may be gone, along with the rest of the expirings, all we need to do is trade Langkow (if we REALLY need to) to free up 4.5M in cap space.

Just to re-iterate, it makes absolutely no sense to trade Phaneuf for Jay Bouwmeesters negotiating rights and a 1st.
We are in win now mode. Our core ain't getting any younger.

Thank you

*OvechKiN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 06:25 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm View Post
I really hope this was meant to be sarcastic. Because if it wasnt, I have a bridge i would like to sell you....

please direct gullibility to here:

http://hockeybuzzhogwash.com/

enjoy!
please stop linking that stupid site... Eklund reports rumors no more, no less... his percentage is no better or worse than any of the other rumor mongers out there

Old
05-29-2009, 06:33 PM
jeremywilhelm

Quote:
please stop linking that stupid site... Eklund reports rumors no more, no less... his percentage is no better or worse than any of the other rumor mongers out there
I would say worse, because he literally makes stuff up out of the blue.

Old
05-29-2009, 07:01 PM
Gold Pads*
HE SHOOTS HE SCORES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm View Post
I would say worse, because he literally makes stuff up out of the blue.
Do you have proof of that or are you just making stuff up out of the blue, here. Eklund reports rumors. (e4) means more than one source is telling him about the same rumor. It's not written in stone, but it is being seriously discussed.

I firmly believe J-Bo will be a Flame next year. Phaneuf to Florida makes too much sense to be dismissed outright by shallow echoes of simple Eklund bashing. I really wish we could bet our v-cash against each other on this. I'd take this one at this point.

Old
05-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Gold Pads*
HE SHOOTS HE SCORES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *OvechKiN* View Post
Phaneuf will NOT be traded, especially not for someones RIGHTS.
Obviously there will be more involved than that. That's where it starts to get interesting.

Quote:
If Bouwmeester wants to sign in Calgary as his first choice, he can wait an extra month to start talking with Sutter. He is in no rush to sign with whoever gets his negotiation rights. His value does NOT diminish, but rather increases once he is able to talk to all teams!
*If* he's already chosen to come here, then it doesn't really matter what he could get elsewhere, does it. It only matters what he'll get here.

Quote:
Just to re-iterate, it makes absolutely no sense to trade Phaneuf for Jay Bouwmeesters negotiating rights and a 1st.
We are in win now mode.
That doesn't look to be the exact deal being discussed. And how would losing Phaneuf to gain J-Bo and others (maybe Booth to replace Cammalleri?) going to cost us a shot at going for it all right now? I think it improves our chances. Please read the whole thread. We've worked through a lot of this already. *If* Bo signs here, it does make sense to move Phaneuf for the right package.

Old
05-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Gold Pads*
HE SHOOTS HE SCORES!

Quote:
I agree completely. We've all seen it. Just like Eklunds site, this site has some good points, some overly sensitive/judgemental flop, and a lot of opinion. It's not that brilliant and we've all seen it already.

Old
05-29-2009, 07:34 PM
jeremywilhelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames89 View Post
Do you have proof of that or are you just making stuff up out of the blue, here. Eklund reports rumors. (e4) means more than one source is telling him about the same rumor. It's not written in stone, but it is being seriously discussed.

I firmly believe J-Bo will be a Flame next year. Phaneuf to Florida makes too much sense to be dismissed outright by shallow echoes of simple Eklund bashing. I really wish we could bet our v-cash against each other on this. I'd take this one at this point.
Lets just make a gentlemans agreement that i can boot you in the nuts when it doesnt happen. Just so that you learn your lesson about listening to Ecklund rumors.

this says it all right here.

Incorrect Rumors since January 2008: 457
Correct Rumors since January 2008: 15
Success Rate since January 2008: 3.1%

When you make up 500 random "rumors and inside info" BS you have about a 3.1% chance of being right. And oh look, thats about exactly what this toolbags success ratio is.

Old
05-29-2009, 07:54 PM
bam09

They are rumours. Jesus christ.

As I said, his sources tell him what is going on.

Eklund was right about Jokinen coming to Calgary for a while, he always had Sutter going after him. Was it a coincidence we finally got him at the deadline?

It's not far fetched that some GMs inquire on players, and that GM B says what the price is. The sources just tell him what is being discussed.
Mod-edit: deleted.

Last edited by Snoil11: 05-30-2009 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Flaming
bam09 is offline   Reply With Quote