HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cody Hodgson named HF's prospect of the year, Cory Schneider a runner-up

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-05-2009, 11:14 PM
  #1
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik
 
JannikAtTheDisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: a van in vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,734
vCash: 500
Cody Hodgson named HF's prospect of the year, Cory Schneider a runner-up

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...he_year200809/

Hodgson is named prospect of the year while Schneider is a runner up along with Blum, Wilson and Benn.

I am so stoked for this kid.

JannikAtTheDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 11:22 PM
  #2
Placebo Effect
Registered User
 
Placebo Effect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Your Mind
Country: China
Posts: 7,155
vCash: 500
Those two names sound familiar...

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 11:23 PM
  #3
AgentNaslund*
 
AgentNaslund*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,576
vCash: 500
woooo 2 Canucks. We finally get some reconition.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 11:25 PM
  #4
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,736
vCash: 500
I really don't see anyway Cody Hodgson can fail at the NHL level barring a serious injury. He's got great work ethic, great skills and is an extremely smart player. He doesn't appear to have any holes in his game, but I guess we'll find out when he reaches the NHL level, likely next season.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 12:03 AM
  #5
unknown
Registered User
 
unknown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambofgod View Post
I think Hodgson could go on the second line.

Kesler - Hodgson - Demitra/Raymond? (assuming sundin doesn't re-sign)
the way kesler and raymond used their speed tonight i like the thought of a raymond-hodgson-kesler line, would be a great 2 way line thats for sure...at the same time i think hodgson would learn a lot from being on a line with demitra.

at any rate i cant wait to see him in a canucks jersey full time.

unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 12:14 AM
  #6
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 15,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambofgod View Post
I think Hodgson could go on the second line.

Kesler - Hodgson - Demitra/Raymond? (assuming sundin doesn't re-sign)
I'm not so sure Hodgson will be ready for a top 6 role in his rookie season but the thought of Hodgson centring Kesler on the 2nd line does sound like the makings of a remarkable two-way 2nd line.

If we retain the Sedins we have 5 players in Henrik, Daniel, Burrows, Hodgson and Kesler that all play excellent defensive games and if Hodgson develops like I think he will that's a remarkable group of defensive forwards with the ability to play in the top 6.

I've said it before, forwards that are excellent defensively are extremely valuable in a salary cap world. Historically salaries for forwards have been mostly based on offensive output with little emphasis put on defensive ability. If you want bang for your buck, defensive forwards are the way to go.

Flip Cory Schneider for the big, goalscoring LW'er Jamie Benn and our top 6 is set for the next 5 years.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 12:21 AM
  #7
pitseleh
Registered User
 
pitseleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I've said it before, forwards that are excellent defensively are extremely valuable in a salary cap world. Historically salaries for forwards have been mostly based on offensive output with little emphasis put on defensive ability. If you want bang for your buck, defensive forwards are the way to go.
Not only that, but having two top lines that you can play against anyone means that you can get tremendous value on your third and fourth lines by plugging cheaply available skilled players (like Wellwood is this year) and by easing young forwards into the lineup on cheap contracts.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 12:27 AM
  #8
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,771
vCash: 500
Can't wait until Luongo signs a new contract and we can flip Schnieder for a blue chip D or F prospect.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 12:47 AM
  #9
ziploc
Registered User
 
ziploc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
the way kesler and raymond used their speed tonight i like the thought of a raymond-hodgson-kesler line, would be a great 2 way line thats for sure...at the same time i think hodgson would learn a lot from being on a line with demitra.

at any rate i cant wait to see him in a canucks jersey full time.
If Hodgson plays on a line with Kesler and Raymond, then a third line of Bernie, Wellwood and Demitra ain't that bad, really.

Then you have Pyatt, Johnson, Rypien, Hordi and Hansen all as options on the fourth. Very good depth, and probably some cap space for D.

ziploc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 12:51 AM
  #10
Jay Cee
P4G
 
Jay Cee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,823
vCash: 500
I feel good things will happen for CoHo, that said, I take HF boards ranking with a grain of salt. HF boards youth talent evaluators are wanna-bes. There is no real concise journalistic evaluation outside of TSN and THN and their evaluations are extremely questionable as they try to summarize professional knowledge.


All you guys are stoking the fire for hype. What I would do is hope for a quietly good, productive first season relatively speaking, if he does indeed make the team, which I hope so. Everything else is gravy....

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 01:03 AM
  #11
unknown
Registered User
 
unknown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I'm not so sure Hodgson will be ready for a top 6 role in his rookie season but the thought of Hodgson centring Kesler on the 2nd line does sound like the makings of a remarkable two-way 2nd line.

If we retain the Sedins we have 5 players in Henrik, Daniel, Burrows, Hodgson and Kesler that all play excellent defensive games and if Hodgson develops like I think he will that's a remarkable group of defensive forwards with the ability to play in the top 6.

I've said it before, forwards that are excellent defensively are extremely valuable in a salary cap world. Historically salaries for forwards have been mostly based on offensive output with little emphasis put on defensive ability. If you want bang for your buck, defensive forwards are the way to go.

Flip Cory Schneider for the big, goalscoring LW'er Jamie Benn and our top 6 is set for the next 5 years.
what does he have something like 30 points in 17 games these playoffs? if we could score Benn for schneider id be ecstatic.

unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 01:09 AM
  #12
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 15,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
what does he have something like 30 points in 17 games these playoffs? if we could score Benn for schneider id be ecstatic.
Yeah, he's been excellent in the playoffs. He's also a big guy that can put the puck in the net from the LW. Exactly what we need. B.C. boy to boot.

Dallas will need an heir apparent to Turco, have no good young goalies to speak of and some good depth on the wing. It makes too much sense, never happen.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 01:10 AM
  #13
Saren
Multi Pass!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fhloston Paradise
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Can't wait until Luongo signs a new contract and we can flip Schnieder for a blue chip D or F prospect.
I'd flip him for Van Reamsdick, or some other big body to play with Cody on the 2nd/3rd line.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 01:17 AM
  #14
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 15,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
I'd flip him for Van Reamsdick, or some other big body to play with Cody on the 2nd/3rd line.
That's another move I'd like to see. Van Riemsdyk hasn't progressed as expected since he was drafted but he's still a big guy with skill that would look good alongside Kesler and Hodgson on the 2nd line.

Hopefully Luongo understands we'll be able to ice a better team if he's willing to put pen to paper this July. If he intends on staying in Vancouver that is. He has been beyond the 1st round in 2 of 3 seasons thus far in Vancouver, idolized by the fanbase and with the development of Kesler and Burrows the Canucks look like a threat in the West for years to come. If that's not enough for him to want to stay in Vancouver he's a tough guy to please.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 01:30 AM
  #15
Towelie*
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Hopefully Luongo understands we'll be able to ice a better team if he's willing to put pen to paper this July. If he intends on staying in Vancouver that is. He has been beyond the 1st round in 2 of 3 seasons thus far in Vancouver, idolized by the fanbase and with the development of Kesler and Burrows the Canucks look like a threat in the West for years to come. If that's not enough for him to want to stay in Vancouver he's a tough guy to please.
If Luongo isn't willing to sign prior to next season, I think you have to trade him.

Towelie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 01:45 AM
  #16
Meganuck*
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Vancouver,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Can't wait until Luongo signs a new contract and we can flip Schnieder for a blue chip D or F prospect.
Van Riemsdyk? (one can only wish)

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 02:02 AM
  #17
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum
 
parabola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ಠ_ಠ
Posts: 40,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
He tied his teammate, 2009 draft-eligible John Tavares, for most points in the event. Hodgson tallied three goals and nine assists, helping lead Canada to their fifth consecutive gold medal.
Uh, no he didn't.

__________________
parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 02:15 AM
  #18
YogiCanucks
Registered User
 
YogiCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
Van Riemsdyk? (one can only wish)
Could be done, with a little more on our side. Philly wants someone who will play now. JVR is staying in College and is STILL very much a raw talent.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 02:27 AM
  #19
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.
 
The Bob Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Centre Ice
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,625
vCash: 500
Can we bring back Trevor in some capacity to the coaching staff to mentor Hodgson?

I think it would be tremendous for his development, I know Raymond had Trevor mentor him a little bit and always praised him and how Linden helped to prepare him for the NHL and to inspire confidence in him.

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 04:28 AM
  #20
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
That's another move I'd like to see. Van Riemsdyk hasn't progressed as expected since he was drafted but he's still a big guy with skill that would look good alongside Kesler and Hodgson on the 2nd line.

Hopefully Luongo understands we'll be able to ice a better team if he's willing to put pen to paper this July. If he intends on staying in Vancouver that is. He has been beyond the 1st round in 2 of 3 seasons thus far in Vancouver, idolized by the fanbase and with the development of Kesler and Burrows the Canucks look like a threat in the West for years to come. If that's not enough for him to want to stay in Vancouver he's a tough guy to please.


I'd rather go for Benn instead of JVR. The latter will have to be molded into a power forward because he doesn't play like one now. From the _very_ few times I have seen him play, it seems that he doesn't utilize his size and avoids going to the net. He is still a blue-chipper though. Saying that, I'd rather the Canucks go after a puck-moving D-man, as that seems to be the organizational need.


Another point of note: Grabbing a stellar LW prospect not only solidifies the top-6 for the next 5 years, but also the top-9. Raymond-Wellwood-Bernier are all still relatively young. They could grow together.


If Schneider is flipped for that forward, and if even two of Raymond, Wellwood, Bernier, Hansen, and Rypien take steps forward next year, this could be a very bright time for the Canucks.


Just sign Bouwmeester and complete the puzzle.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 08:46 AM
  #21
pdefenestrator
Registered User
 
pdefenestrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 540
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post

If Schneider is flipped for that forward, and if even two of Raymond, Wellwood, Bernier, Hansen, and Rypien take steps forward next year, this could be a very bright time for the Canucks.


Another name to put on that list is Grabner. I still have high hopes for him as well.

The problem is that, after CoHo, Schneider, and Grabner, the Canucks have almost nothing in the system that you could call a good prospect.

pdefenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 09:01 AM
  #22
The Pucks
Registered User
 
The Pucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Louis the First View Post
Can we bring back Trevor in some capacity to the coaching staff to mentor Hodgson?

I think it would be tremendous for his development, I know Raymond had Trevor mentor him a little bit and always praised him and how Linden helped to prepare him for the NHL and to inspire confidence in him.

No, keep Trevor in some sort of ambassador role, keep him far away from the team on the ice. This team needs to keep its seperation from the Old Canucks to the new Gillis Canucks.

That little comment from Hordichuk early in the season told me alot about what the younger guys thought of Trevor.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 09:03 AM
  #23
The Pucks
Registered User
 
The Pucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdefenestrator View Post
Another name to put on that list is Grabner. I still have high hopes for him as well.

The problem is that, after CoHo, Schneider, and Grabner, the Canucks have almost nothing in the system that you could call a good prospect.
Patrick White.




The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 09:15 AM
  #24
Saren
Multi Pass!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fhloston Paradise
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
No, keep Trevor in some sort of ambassador role, keep him far away from the team on the ice. This team needs to keep its seperation from the Old Canucks to the new Gillis Canucks.

That little comment from Hordichuk early in the season told me alot about what the younger guys thought of Trevor.
I would hardly consider Hordichuk 'young', nevermind acknowledge his thoughts as substantial evidence pertaining to everyone elses' opinion on Trevor.

Technically, this isn't Gillis' Canucks just yet. Most of the core is still from the Burke/Nonis era, but let's not open that can of worms.

Quote:
I'd rather go for Benn instead of JVR. The latter will have to be molded into a power forward because he doesn't play like one now.
I can't remember who said this, but I remember hearing comparisons on how JVR played a game similar to Rick Nash. Not necessarily 'power-forward', but more or less 'skilled' power forward.

I don't think that makes sense, so make of it what you will.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 09:48 AM
  #25
FruityPants3*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,201
vCash: 500
I can't wait until Hodgson doesn't impress in his first month and is labeled bust on here by someone.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.