HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

SF GDT 5/8 • Canada 3, Sweden ‎1

View Poll Results: Who will win?
Canadians in regulation 51 62.20%
Canadians in OT/shootout 6 7.32%
Swedes in regulation 20 24.39%
Swedes in OT/shootout 5 6.10%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2009, 10:03 PM
KRM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredsson11 View Post
Hopefully Spezza is 100%, this should be a good game, it may come down to if Sweden can stay out of the box..
.... or if Canada can, Sweden has good snipers from the blueline.

Old
05-07-2009, 10:12 PM
LateNightOilerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
And considering both Liv and Gustavsson have been less than impressive so far means that Canada has the upper hand (provided they play Mason over the useless Rolly)
Yeah, Roli's been so useless on his way to the third best SV% in the tournament. Honestly, our goalies are 1 and 3 in the tournament, why do you feel the need to comment like that about one of them?

Old
05-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Cheli

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNightOilerFan View Post
Yeah, Roli's been so useless on his way to the third best SV% in the tournament. Honestly, our goalies are 1 and 3 in the tournament, why do you feel the need to comment like that about one of them?
Roloson gets too much hate around here, but Mason has definitely been more solid than him. Both goalies have made some big saves though.

Though overall the goalie rankings should be taken with a grain of salt. Some of these goalies have faced a significantly greater amount of shots (and probably higher quality shots) than Mason/Roloson have. IMO someone like Szuper stopping 199/221 (90.05%) for Hungary is impressive even though he's 13th in SV%. Not saying he's better than Mason or Roloson, but I think their stats have been helped by their competition and their team.

Old
05-07-2009, 10:53 PM
LateNightOilerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheli View Post
Roloson gets too much hate around here, but Mason has definitely been more solid than him. Both goalies have made some big saves though.

Though overall the goalie rankings should be taken with a grain of salt. Some of these goalies have faced a significantly greater amount of shots (and probably higher quality shots) than Mason/Roloson have. IMO someone like Szuper stopping 199/221 (90.05%) for Hungary is impressive even though he's 13th in SV%. Not saying he's better than Mason or Roloson, but I think their stats have been helped by their competition and their team.
I don't disagree about the lower ranked teams goalies - they are the reason their teams went as far as they did. And the stats are a bit misleading because game winning goals in the shootout count against the goalies (therefore Roli's adjusted stats would be 2.27 .947 which is nothing to complain about).

Mason has been solid, agreed, but he has also faced the same shots in 4 games that Roli has in 3 games. He also was able to stay in a groove coming right from the playoffs where Roli had 2 weeks off, played a couple games and then had 6 days in between starts. One could also argue that Mason's toughest game (Czech) was not as challenging as Roli's toughest game (Finns). So there are quite a few factors to consider in comparing the two. Either way, both guys have been great for Canada and goaltending isn't a problem no matter which guy gets the start tomorrow.

Old
05-08-2009, 12:32 AM
HSF

this Canadian team is built on pure talent alone, it is built on chemistry

past teams have always been like an all star team was 3 checkers

i dont know why but i like this group of guys and maybe one of the not so talented Canadian teams will get the job done

but it wont be a cakewalk

Old
05-08-2009, 12:48 AM
otto84

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
And considering both Liv and Gustavsson have been less than impressive so far means that Canada has the upper hand (provided they play Mason over the useless Rolly)
How about you watch a WHC game before talking crap.

Old
05-08-2009, 12:58 AM
Crazyhorse

In hockey, Sweden are Canadas *****es, just like the Czechs always slap Slovakia, the way Sweden slap Finland, etc...

The reason we won in 06' was because our tremendous 5-1 lead. Canada always came back, it was a nailbiter.
Sweden will lose today, because of the reason we always lose against "The Great white north": Lack of toughness infront of both nets.

Canada will win, 4-1.

EDIT: I actually felt bad going through at all. The officiating in the SWE-CZE game was the worst ive seen at this level. I actually feel bad for the czech, that game could have been much better.

Old
05-08-2009, 02:11 AM
WeberStreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post

EDIT: I actually felt bad going through at all. The officiating in the SWE-CZE game was the worst ive seen at this level. I actually feel bad for the czech, that game could have been much better.
You're right. That was a joke. Evertime a stick touched a player, they called a hooking penalty. I think in the first period they played not 3 minutes on even strength. Horrible officiating.

Old
05-08-2009, 02:23 AM
Vodka_Tonic

Team Canada looked VERY beatable yesterday... but then again every team in this tournament has at one point or another. really hard to tell... 3:2 for Canada

Old
05-08-2009, 02:43 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Canada hasnt played very well in this tournament but they have all the talent in the world so it doesnt really matter. I think it will come down to a one goal win for any of the teams. Perhaps something like last years game.

Old
05-08-2009, 03:01 AM
WeberStreit

I'll attending this game. I hope Canada will win 4-1.

Old
05-08-2009, 04:35 AM
CAPS LOCK

Heart says Sweden
Brain says Canada

3-2 Canada

Old
05-08-2009, 04:57 AM
romelson

Send a message via MSN to romelson
Why are swedes always so humble and cautious in their predictions?
It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy, a flaw in the national spirit.
We had a good game against the czechs. If we improve the efficiency just slightly from that game I can't see how we can possibly lose this one. We'll run them over.

Old
05-08-2009, 04:58 AM
Reds4Life

Canada should win easily.

5:2!

Old
05-08-2009, 05:01 AM
Crimson Devil*

I predict a Sweden upset over Canada.

Old
05-08-2009, 05:36 AM
Paxton Fettel

is it just me or almost every year we get Sweden vs Canada, and Russia vs some other country?

Old
05-08-2009, 05:37 AM
ToysInTheAttic

Anything can happen in a one game playoff. Should be a good one.

Old
05-08-2009, 07:05 AM
Urgi

Collected some stats from this season and compared the teams, only based on stats so shouldnt tell TOO much.

Points from Canadas defensemen: 231 points total this season.

From forwards: 681 points

And compared to sweden:

Swedish D: 225 points , 2 nhl defenders (without enström)

Swedish forwards: 498 points, 3 nhl players.

Old
05-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 830
6-1 Canada.

Old
05-08-2009, 07:31 AM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
The officiating is a joke at the worlds and always has been. They're calling absolutely everything plus stuff that isn't happening. It's a powerplay competition, not hockey. Canada hasn't looked good at even strength in this tournament but it hasn't mattered because of the officiating. Canada will win 4-2 if the officiaiting continues like it has.

Old
05-08-2009, 08:06 AM
Raggamuffin

Canadas' top two lines are elite. If they produce Sweden doesn't stand a chance. However, I think the Swedish defense is severly underrated. If they can hold their ground there's a chance they might prevail. Exciting game!

Old
05-08-2009, 08:39 AM
PTmbp13

Canada has alot of stars on their team off and def. Swedes just got def stars on their team, Can´t say Winhadl and Huselius are big stars really. Sweden fights, but will canadas strong team ( on papper) be too much?

Old
05-08-2009, 09:59 AM
eraserhead

I think this game is going to be closer than Swedish fans are predicting. Canada hasn't been overly strong this year, and the Swedes could take it if their d plays well and they get another strong game from Gustavsson.

Old
05-08-2009, 11:46 AM
ToysInTheAttic

I sure hope the Sweden/Canada game isn't a nail biter like the Russia/USA game. Unlike the last 2 games Canada needs to come out flying in this one. About an hour and fifteen minutes til puck drop.

GO CANADA GO

Old
05-08-2009, 11:59 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by #11_THEBEST! View Post
Mod: deleted.

Some of the excuses:

Sweden has a lot of players playing in the playoffs.....Well, look at Canada. 3/4 Olympic calibre players......That's a lot right!

Sweden must be tried... considering they both played on same day, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Anyways, I didn't really like this Team Canada....you can check my World Championship Thread....and I still don't like it. Not very impressed with their effort...

I'll say 4-2 Sweden.
I guess that bolded part was against my post. You must be totally dented by the usual homerism on this board. What I actually wrote is true.

Canada got depth, more good players overall. That makes them a lot less dependent on certain players. Compare with Sweden, those two teams (Wings and Canucks) are stacked with Swedes who all would get a spot on the national team if they were out of the play off.

Basically I gave credit to Canada, and stated something obvious about Sweden's national team vs NHL teams in Play off with swedes. No excuses or whining just facts. I predict a canadian win.

Closed Thread