HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Montreal - Atlanta

Old
05-08-2009, 06:30 PM
Ado*

vCash: 500
Montreal - Atlanta

I have to admit that I don't know exactly the needs of Atlanta, but I did some research and I found out that they lack a good shutdown defenseman (though they do have some good offensive ones in Hainsey, Enstrom and Bogosian). Their goalies aren't promising, but they may have some hope in young Pavelec. Their offense could use a scoring 3rd and 4th line.

Here we go

Let's say Komisarek is signed 4 years 4,5 million per.

Komisarek
A. Kostitsyn
Halak
D'Agostini or Pacioretty

for

Kovalchuck

Komisarek will finally be able to play with his good old friend Hainsey and they would complement each other well through their strengths and weaknesses. Andrei Kostitsyn just finished his 2nd full nhl season with 23 goals on what many say was a very bad season for him. He could complete a line with Kozlov and White/Little. Halak would easily take the #1 spot at the possible expense of dumping a goalie. Finally, Atlanta does have certain good centers, but is in lack of wingers. Both D'ago and Paceriotty have good potential.

Montreal gets their long sought franchise player that will assure them at least a point per game.

So this is it. Talk away.

Ado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 06:34 PM
I am Canadian
Swedes + Leafs =

Atlanta gets robbed.

I am Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

montreal should add 1st and the subbanator, then that should almost be fair maybe mon should throw in a 3rd too, or a C level prospect

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Thefalkon

Atlanta will have 100 people at each game after that. No way Atlanta does that deal.

Thefalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ado*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Canadian View Post
Atlanta gets robbed.
I thought it was pretty fair.

Any counter offer?

Old
05-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Thefalkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado View Post

Any counter offer?
One that won't kill their offensive depth and attendance. You are replacing Kovalchuk with AK46 and Pacioretty/D'Agostini.

Old
05-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Ado*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrk View Post
One that won't kill their offensive depth and attendance. You are replacing Kovalchuk with AK46 and Pacioretty/D'Agostini.
Atlanta was ranked 9th in scoring last season and has 5 20 goal scorers, 2 30 goals scorers and 1 40 goal scorer.

AK46 in a less stressing environment could easily have the potential to score 35 goals. Pacioretty is expected to be a powerforward who would contribute on the scoresheet every now and then. D'agostini was on a pace for 20 goals in his first season.

If these potentials live to see the day, Atlanta's offensive depth wouldn't be really hurt that much

Old
05-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Thefalkon

Quote:
Atlanta was ranked 9th in scoring last season and has 5 20 goal scorers, 2 30 goals scorers and 1 40 goal scorer.

AK46 in a less stressing environment could easily have the potential to score 35 goals. Pacioretty is expected to be a powerforward who would contribute on the scoresheet every now and then. D'agostini was on a pace for 20 goals in his first season.

If these potentials live to see the day, Atlanta's offensive depth wouldn't be really hurt that much
5 20 goal scorers and 2 30 goal scorers? Might want to check that out:

30 goal scorers: Brian Little
20 goal scorers: Kozlov, Armstrong, and White

Kovalchuk and Little don't count twice.

Your whole argument for it not killing their depth is based on a bunch of ifs and expectations. If you want to bring up D'Agostini being on pace for 20 goals let me bring up how Callahan could have had 70 points for the season if Tortorella was there the whole year

Old
05-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:

Any counter offer?
To MTL: MTL 2nd Round Pick (previously acquired by Atlanta)
To ATL: Chris Higgins

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 09:41 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
5 20 goal scorers and 2 30 goal scorers? Might want to check that out:

30 goal scorers: Brian Little
20 goal scorers: Kozlov, Armstrong, and White

Kovalchuk and Little don't count twice.

Your whole argument for it not killing their depth is based on a bunch of ifs and expectations. If you want to bring up D'Agostini being on pace for 20 goals let me bring up how Callahan could have had 70 points for the season if Tortorella was there the whole year
Yes they do.

Your saying if you score 40goals, you didn't score 20 goals first?

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Ado*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
Yes they do.

Your saying if you score 40goals, you didn't score 20 goals first?
Meh whatever, my interpretation was wrong, my bad.

But then again, the argument was Pacioretty/D'Agostini and Andrei Kostitsyn replacing the forward depth.

BUT! Don't forget about the other two assets in the trade. Komisarek and Halak.

The problem with Atlanta isn't scoring (they're 9th in the league as said before) but not getting scored at. Komisarek was on a pace to be #2 in blocked shots and #9 in hits, that's almost a second goalie.

Old
05-09-2009, 12:35 PM
blankspace6

Quote:

Any counter offer?
We sign Komisarek as a UFA in the summer and snub our nose at this deal.

blankspace6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
I have to admit that I don't know exactly the needs of Atlanta, but I did some research and I found out that they lack a good shutdown defenseman (though they do have some good offensive ones in Hainsey, Enstrom and Bogosian). Their goalies aren't promising, but they may have some hope in young Pavelec. Their offense could use a scoring 3rd and 4th line.

Here we go

Let's say Komisarek is signed 4 years 4,5 million per.

Komisarek
A. Kostitsyn
Halak
D'Agostini or Pacioretty

for

Kovalchuck

Komi is not signing for 4.5 million per year without some assurance that he is in Montreal's longterm plans. The only way Habs are going to be able to sign him before July 1 is 1) Overpaying him badly, 2) Convincing him that he loves Montreal and will get to stay there for a while. Either way, he becomes untradeable afterwards.

So, the fundamental premise of your post is bad to begin with. Anybody can start of with "Assume a premise that is totally unrealistic...and then go from there."

Komi is no longer a trade asset for Montreal. You don't own his playing rights. The only think Montreal can do is ask for a mid round pick for "exclusive negotiation rights" - and I don't see that as having any value whatsoever.

Choices with Komi:
1) Sign him to a multiyear deal and keep him.
2) Lose him for nothing
3) Trade negotiation rights for a 3 or 4th rounder (if you are lucky).

That's it.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

your logic is all wrong

you got it right that atlanta's biggest need is a shutdown defensemen but if komisarek is the guy there they could just go after him through FA

i'm going to assume you don't know that little played RW all season and looked much better there than as a center

kozlov is going to be 38 after next year when his contract expires, if he retires then atlanta is left with no legitimate top 6 lw's

atlanta has an abundance of checking line and role players in their system, what they lack is top 6 talent, they have esposito and whoever they get in the draft this year

if kovalchuk is traded a young lw has to come back their way

atlanta's biggest tradable asset is kari lehtonen, if they have 4 goalies considered to be nhl level under contract then none of those goalies will be worth a whole lot

one good player, one player that could be aquired for free, and a bunch of uselessness does not = superstar

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 07:27 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
To MTL: MTL 2nd Round Pick (previously acquired by Atlanta)
To ATL: Chris Higgins
The Avs have Montreal's 2nd round pick...Montreal sent it to Calgary for Tanguay, Calgary traded it to Colorado for Leopold.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 07:31 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 10 View Post
your logic is all wrong

you got it right that atlanta's biggest need is a shutdown defensemen but if komisarek is the guy there they could just go after him through FA

i'm going to assume you don't know that little played RW all season and looked much better there than as a center

kozlov is going to be 38 after next year when his contract expires, if he retires then atlanta is left with no legitimate top 6 lw's

atlanta has an abundance of checking line and role players in their system, what they lack is top 6 talent, they have esposito and whoever they get in the draft this year

if kovalchuk is traded a young lw has to come back their way

atlanta's biggest tradable asset is kari lehtonen
, if they have 4 goalies considered to be nhl level under contract then none of those goalies will be worth a whole lot

one good player, one player that could be aquired for free, and a bunch of uselessness does not = superstar

Your need is a top end LW and Lehtonen is your best tradeable asset. This is why I honestly think that we are going to see a Flyers/Thrashers trade here really soon. I think it's going to be one of these 2 deals:

JVR + Carle for Lehtonen
or
Lupul + Nodl + 09 1st for Lehtonen

Atlanta HAS to take back some salary from the Flyers for us to make the cap work so you get either Carle or Lupul. I don't think you'll get a top tier prospect AND a 1st for Lehtonen because we could just sigh a UFA goalie or trade for another plus there are still questions surrounding Lehtonens health. I can't say I'm entirely happy with the though of trading either JVR or our 1st for an injury prone goalie but I think it's going to happen anyways. I know that Atlanta fans want more in a trade for Lehtonen but I think that's about as good as you are going to get.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 08:08 PM
blankspace6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
The Avs have Montreal's 2nd round pick...Montreal sent it to Calgary for Tanguay, Calgary traded it to Colorado for Leopold.
We received a 2nd (this year) and a 3rd (next year) in the Schneider deal. The Habs may have had two 2nd rounders to give, but we definitely got one of them.

blankspace6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 08:24 PM
ecemleafs

Subban
Both Kostistyns
Plekanec
1st 2009
2nd 2010

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

Quote:
Atlanta will have 100 people at each game after that. No way Atlanta does that deal.
right there, alot of they're fan base is centered around kovalchuk, without a genuine star coming back they won't trade him

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Kovalchuk will not come cheap, and there's no way we're pulling off a trade for him unless we pay out the wazoo. Something like... oh, I don't know...

Montreal gets: Kovalchuk, one of ATL's bad contracts

Atlanta gets: Markov, both Kostitsyns, Gorges, Subban/McDonagh (maybe both), a couple of firsts... how far off am I?

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Matt714*

Send a message via MSN to Matt714*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
Montreal gets: Kovalchuk, one of ATL's bad contracts

Atlanta gets: Markov, both Kostitsyns, Gorges, Subban/McDonagh (maybe both), a couple of firsts... how far off am I?
Overpayment by Montreal if you start adding draft picks as well, unless Atlanta includes some as well.

Montreal does not have any 2nd draft picks anymore. The original went in the Tanguay deal, and the 2nd of Huet was traded for Schneider.

Quote:
Your need is a top end LW and Lehtonen is your best tradeable asset. This is why I honestly think that we are going to see a Flyers/Thrashers trade here really soon. I think it's going to be one of these 2 deals:
JVR + Carle for Lehtonen
or
Lupul + Nodl + 09 1st for Lehtonen
Not only Atlanta main concern shouldn't be forwards, but they're going to trade a top 10 goalie for them.

Matt714* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt714 View Post
Overpayment by Montreal if you start adding draft picks as well, unless Atlanta includes some as well.

Montreal does not have any 2nd draft picks anymore. The original went in the Tanguay deal, and the 2nd of Huet was traded for Schneider.
I'm partial to trading one of the goalies and signing a veteran backup in the off-season. I'm pretty sure we could get a second-rounder for Halak, or maybe even a low first if the team's desperate enough; that could then be used as another asset in a trade.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Caekslap

I would trade Price for Kovalchuk.

Caekslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Ado*

Quote: