HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Montreal - Atlanta

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-08-2009, 06:30 PM
  #1
Ado*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Québec
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Montreal - Atlanta

I have to admit that I don't know exactly the needs of Atlanta, but I did some research and I found out that they lack a good shutdown defenseman (though they do have some good offensive ones in Hainsey, Enstrom and Bogosian). Their goalies aren't promising, but they may have some hope in young Pavelec. Their offense could use a scoring 3rd and 4th line.

Here we go

Let's say Komisarek is signed 4 years 4,5 million per.

Komisarek
A. Kostitsyn
Halak
D'Agostini or Pacioretty

for

Kovalchuck



Komisarek will finally be able to play with his good old friend Hainsey and they would complement each other well through their strengths and weaknesses. Andrei Kostitsyn just finished his 2nd full nhl season with 23 goals on what many say was a very bad season for him. He could complete a line with Kozlov and White/Little. Halak would easily take the #1 spot at the possible expense of dumping a goalie. Finally, Atlanta does have certain good centers, but is in lack of wingers. Both D'ago and Paceriotty have good potential.

Montreal gets their long sought franchise player that will assure them at least a point per game.


So this is it. Talk away.

Ado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 06:34 PM
  #2
I am Canadian
Swedes + Leafs =
 
I am Canadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,813
vCash: 500
Atlanta gets robbed.

I am Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 06:36 PM
  #3
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar
 
Schenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Huron County
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,406
vCash: 500
montreal should add 1st and the subbanator, then that should almost be fair maybe mon should throw in a 3rd too, or a C level prospect

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 06:36 PM
  #4
Thefalkon
Registered User
 
Thefalkon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,165
vCash: 500
Atlanta will have 100 people at each game after that. No way Atlanta does that deal.

Thefalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 06:36 PM
  #5
Ado*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Québec
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Canadian View Post
Atlanta gets robbed.
I thought it was pretty fair.

Any counter offer?

Ado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 06:39 PM
  #6
Thefalkon
Registered User
 
Thefalkon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado View Post
I thought it was pretty fair.

Any counter offer?
One that won't kill their offensive depth and attendance. You are replacing Kovalchuk with AK46 and Pacioretty/D'Agostini.

Thefalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 06:46 PM
  #7
Ado*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Québec
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrk View Post
One that won't kill their offensive depth and attendance. You are replacing Kovalchuk with AK46 and Pacioretty/D'Agostini.
Atlanta was ranked 9th in scoring last season and has 5 20 goal scorers, 2 30 goals scorers and 1 40 goal scorer.

AK46 in a less stressing environment could easily have the potential to score 35 goals. Pacioretty is expected to be a powerforward who would contribute on the scoresheet every now and then. D'agostini was on a pace for 20 goals in his first season.

If these potentials live to see the day, Atlanta's offensive depth wouldn't be really hurt that much

Ado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 06:55 PM
  #8
Thefalkon
Registered User
 
Thefalkon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado View Post
Atlanta was ranked 9th in scoring last season and has 5 20 goal scorers, 2 30 goals scorers and 1 40 goal scorer.

AK46 in a less stressing environment could easily have the potential to score 35 goals. Pacioretty is expected to be a powerforward who would contribute on the scoresheet every now and then. D'agostini was on a pace for 20 goals in his first season.

If these potentials live to see the day, Atlanta's offensive depth wouldn't be really hurt that much
5 20 goal scorers and 2 30 goal scorers? Might want to check that out:

30 goal scorers: Brian Little
20 goal scorers: Kozlov, Armstrong, and White

Kovalchuk and Little don't count twice.

Your whole argument for it not killing their depth is based on a bunch of ifs and expectations. If you want to bring up D'Agostini being on pace for 20 goals let me bring up how Callahan could have had 70 points for the season if Tortorella was there the whole year

Thefalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 07:17 PM
  #9
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army
 
Peter Sidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado View Post
I thought it was pretty fair.

Any counter offer?
To MTL: MTL 2nd Round Pick (previously acquired by Atlanta)
To ATL: Chris Higgins

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 09:41 PM
  #10
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth
 
HockeyThoughts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrk View Post
5 20 goal scorers and 2 30 goal scorers? Might want to check that out:

30 goal scorers: Brian Little
20 goal scorers: Kozlov, Armstrong, and White

Kovalchuk and Little don't count twice.

Your whole argument for it not killing their depth is based on a bunch of ifs and expectations. If you want to bring up D'Agostini being on pace for 20 goals let me bring up how Callahan could have had 70 points for the season if Tortorella was there the whole year
Yes they do.

Your saying if you score 40goals, you didn't score 20 goals first?

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 09:45 PM
  #11
Ado*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Québec
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
Yes they do.

Your saying if you score 40goals, you didn't score 20 goals first?
Meh whatever, my interpretation was wrong, my bad.

But then again, the argument was Pacioretty/D'Agostini and Andrei Kostitsyn replacing the forward depth.

BUT! Don't forget about the other two assets in the trade. Komisarek and Halak.

The problem with Atlanta isn't scoring (they're 9th in the league as said before) but not getting scored at. Komisarek was on a pace to be #2 in blocked shots and #9 in hits, that's almost a second goalie.

Ado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 12:35 PM
  #12
blankspace6
 
blankspace6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Georgia
Posts: 556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado View Post
I thought it was pretty fair.

Any counter offer?
We sign Komisarek as a UFA in the summer and snub our nose at this deal.

blankspace6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 12:45 PM
  #13
Darth Milbury
Registered User
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 37,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado View Post
I have to admit that I don't know exactly the needs of Atlanta, but I did some research and I found out that they lack a good shutdown defenseman (though they do have some good offensive ones in Hainsey, Enstrom and Bogosian). Their goalies aren't promising, but they may have some hope in young Pavelec. Their offense could use a scoring 3rd and 4th line.

Here we go

Let's say Komisarek is signed 4 years 4,5 million per.

Komisarek
A. Kostitsyn
Halak
D'Agostini or Pacioretty

for

Kovalchuck

.
Komi is not signing for 4.5 million per year without some assurance that he is in Montreal's longterm plans. The only way Habs are going to be able to sign him before July 1 is 1) Overpaying him badly, 2) Convincing him that he loves Montreal and will get to stay there for a while. Either way, he becomes untradeable afterwards.

So, the fundamental premise of your post is bad to begin with. Anybody can start of with "Assume a premise that is totally unrealistic...and then go from there."

Komi is no longer a trade asset for Montreal. You don't own his playing rights. The only think Montreal can do is ask for a mid round pick for "exclusive negotiation rights" - and I don't see that as having any value whatsoever.

Choices with Komi:
1) Sign him to a multiyear deal and keep him.
2) Lose him for nothing
3) Trade negotiation rights for a 3 or 4th rounder (if you are lucky).

That's it.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 07:22 PM
  #14
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth
 
Rhodes 81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 12,189
vCash: 500
your logic is all wrong

you got it right that atlanta's biggest need is a shutdown defensemen but if komisarek is the guy there they could just go after him through FA

i'm going to assume you don't know that little played RW all season and looked much better there than as a center

kozlov is going to be 38 after next year when his contract expires, if he retires then atlanta is left with no legitimate top 6 lw's

atlanta has an abundance of checking line and role players in their system, what they lack is top 6 talent, they have esposito and whoever they get in the draft this year

if kovalchuk is traded a young lw has to come back their way

atlanta's biggest tradable asset is kari lehtonen, if they have 4 goalies considered to be nhl level under contract then none of those goalies will be worth a whole lot

one good player, one player that could be aquired for free, and a bunch of uselessness does not = superstar

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 07:27 PM
  #15
shadow1
Registered User
 
shadow1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 11,296
vCash: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
To MTL: MTL 2nd Round Pick (previously acquired by Atlanta)
To ATL: Chris Higgins
The Avs have Montreal's 2nd round pick...Montreal sent it to Calgary for Tanguay, Calgary traded it to Colorado for Leopold.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 07:31 PM
  #16
phlocky
Registered User
 
phlocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 10 View Post
your logic is all wrong

you got it right that atlanta's biggest need is a shutdown defensemen but if komisarek is the guy there they could just go after him through FA

i'm going to assume you don't know that little played RW all season and looked much better there than as a center

kozlov is going to be 38 after next year when his contract expires, if he retires then atlanta is left with no legitimate top 6 lw's

atlanta has an abundance of checking line and role players in their system, what they lack is top 6 talent, they have esposito and whoever they get in the draft this year

if kovalchuk is traded a young lw has to come back their way

atlanta's biggest tradable asset is kari lehtonen
, if they have 4 goalies considered to be nhl level under contract then none of those goalies will be worth a whole lot

one good player, one player that could be aquired for free, and a bunch of uselessness does not = superstar

Your need is a top end LW and Lehtonen is your best tradeable asset. This is why I honestly think that we are going to see a Flyers/Thrashers trade here really soon. I think it's going to be one of these 2 deals:

JVR + Carle for Lehtonen
or
Lupul + Nodl + 09 1st for Lehtonen


Atlanta HAS to take back some salary from the Flyers for us to make the cap work so you get either Carle or Lupul. I don't think you'll get a top tier prospect AND a 1st for Lehtonen because we could just sigh a UFA goalie or trade for another plus there are still questions surrounding Lehtonens health. I can't say I'm entirely happy with the though of trading either JVR or our 1st for an injury prone goalie but I think it's going to happen anyways. I know that Atlanta fans want more in a trade for Lehtonen but I think that's about as good as you are going to get.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 08:08 PM
  #17
blankspace6
 
blankspace6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Georgia
Posts: 556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
The Avs have Montreal's 2nd round pick...Montreal sent it to Calgary for Tanguay, Calgary traded it to Colorado for Leopold.
We received a 2nd (this year) and a 3rd (next year) in the Schneider deal. The Habs may have had two 2nd rounders to give, but we definitely got one of them.

blankspace6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 08:24 PM
  #18
ecemleafs
Registered User
 
ecemleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 10,055
vCash: 500
Subban
Both Kostistyns
Plekanec
1st 2009
2nd 2010

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 08:26 PM
  #19
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus
 
Zubrus Coffee Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cobourg, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrk View Post
Atlanta will have 100 people at each game after that. No way Atlanta does that deal.
right there, alot of they're fan base is centered around kovalchuk, without a genuine star coming back they won't trade him

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 09:34 PM
  #20
Dogbert*
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hamilton, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,052
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Kovalchuk will not come cheap, and there's no way we're pulling off a trade for him unless we pay out the wazoo. Something like... oh, I don't know...


Montreal gets: Kovalchuk, one of ATL's bad contracts

Atlanta gets: Markov, both Kostitsyns, Gorges, Subban/McDonagh (maybe both), a couple of firsts... how far off am I?

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 09:41 PM
  #21
Matt714*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Repentigny, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Matt714*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
Montreal gets: Kovalchuk, one of ATL's bad contracts

Atlanta gets: Markov, both Kostitsyns, Gorges, Subban/McDonagh (maybe both), a couple of firsts... how far off am I?
Overpayment by Montreal if you start adding draft picks as well, unless Atlanta includes some as well.

Montreal does not have any 2nd draft picks anymore. The original went in the Tanguay deal, and the 2nd of Huet was traded for Schneider.

Quote:
Your need is a top end LW and Lehtonen is your best tradeable asset. This is why I honestly think that we are going to see a Flyers/Thrashers trade here really soon. I think it's going to be one of these 2 deals:
JVR + Carle for Lehtonen
or
Lupul + Nodl + 09 1st for Lehtonen
Not only Atlanta main concern shouldn't be forwards, but they're going to trade a top 10 goalie for them.

Matt714* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 09:44 PM
  #22
Dogbert*
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hamilton, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,052
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt714 View Post
Overpayment by Montreal if you start adding draft picks as well, unless Atlanta includes some as well.

Montreal does not have any 2nd draft picks anymore. The original went in the Tanguay deal, and the 2nd of Huet was traded for Schneider.
I'm partial to trading one of the goalies and signing a veteran backup in the off-season. I'm pretty sure we could get a second-rounder for Halak, or maybe even a low first if the team's desperate enough; that could then be used as another asset in a trade.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 12:35 PM
  #23
Caekslap
 
Caekslap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Emettiel
Country: Canada
Posts: 572
vCash: 500
I would trade Price for Kovalchuk.

Caekslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 02:09 PM
  #24
Ado*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Québec
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caekslap View Post
I would trade Price for Kovalchuk.
or


Ado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 05:55 PM
  #25
Caekslap
 
Caekslap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Emettiel
Country: Canada
Posts: 572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado View Post
or


Caekslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.