HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

New hockey gear

Old
05-08-2009, 08:49 AM
Parisex9

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Parisex9
New hockey gear

Hey guys, I'm on my cell phone so I hopy everything comes out right..I got a couple questions concerning hockey gear..I am going to start playing in an ice hockey league and roller hockey league. I don't own any serious equipment and I'm going to purchase everything in about a week or 2.. So here's my questions:

For ice hockey is it better to wear a girdle and shell or pants, I kno I need roller hockey pants for roller..but on ice what provides more protection or flexibility?

If I get a helmet with a cage, will I get used to having the cage infront of my eyes or will I always see lines? because if so I will purchase I visor..is it harder to see with a visor? Do things become warped?

The cheaper gear would still be sufficient enough to play ice/roller right? I am looking at some package deals on hockeymoney.com that has elbow/chest protecter/shin guards for 125-150. Is that good enough quality?

And last.. What would be certain gear required for just ice or just roller, or can I use all the gear for either of the 2..

Thanks a lot. (:

Last edited by Parisex9: 05-08-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Parisex9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 10:02 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisex9 View Post
Hey guys, I'm on my cell phone so I hopy everything comes out right..I got a couple questions concerning hockey gear..I am going to start playing in an ice hockey league and roller hockey league. I don't own any serious equipment and I'm going to purchase everything in about a week or 2.. So here's my questions:

For ice hockey is it better to wear a girdle and shell or pants, I kno I need roller hockey pants for roller..but on ice what provides more protection or flexibility?

If I get a helmet with a cage, will I get used to having the cage infront of my eyes or will I always see lines? because if so I will purchase I visor..is it harder to see with a visor? Do things become warped?

The cheaper gear would still be sufficient enough to play ice/roller right? I am looking at some package deals on hockeymoney.com that has elbow/chest protecter/shin guards for 125-150. Is that good enough quality?

And last.. What would be certain gear required for just ice or just roller, or can I use all the gear for either of the 2..

Thanks a lot. (:
Well I from my experience:

You can surely use the same girdle/pants combo for roller as you do ice (ie..roller hockey girdle with roller hockey pants as opposed to hockey pants/socks/garter belt).....you may get weird looks at the rink tho...It surely saves money tho!

If you have a play it again sports near you (or used hockey gear) I would go with that! Its already broken in and you can try it on before you purchase as opposed to buying online and finding it doesn't "fit quite right"

For a helmet..I personally never used a cage so I never got used to it. Now I can't wear one. The full shield visors have a tendancy to fog up. They do make half shield/half cage versions which I have gotten by with in leagues that require full facial protection.

Hope this helps!

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 04:08 PM
dirtydevs9

Send a message via AIM to dirtydevs9
Quote:

Thanks a lot. (:
I dont notice my cage at all when i play. You are a beginner player so you don't need the top of the line stuff.

dirtydevs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:

Thanks a lot. (:
I play ice hockey with a roller hockey pant and an ice hockey girdle under them so I use the pant as a shell. I have a nice pair of CCM Supra hockey pants of the regular traditional style and have retired them to the closet.

The traditional hockey pant offers good protection and so does a half decent girdle with a shell. Basically whatever is more comfortable for you would be ok I would think.

Having worn both I cannot single out anything different as one being better than the other. I can say that girdle hugs your hip pointers and protects your tailbone always as it fits snug so there isn't really a chance of hurting yourself in that way. My traditional hockey pants offer the same protection but are not snug on my body.

A matter of comfort preference really. I think that the roller hockey pant offers better mobility and ease of motion compared to traditional pants.

Visors ... I cannot comment since I use NO face protection but do have a half shield of the old fashioned type that bothers me tremendously when I dig it out and give it a whirl. .... like all of a sudden I'll like it or something right?

The best protection for you honestly is a full face shield as you are obviously a beginner and may be playing with other beginners who can't watch their sticks and may high stick you in the face.

The wire cage as recommended above would be the cheapest and safest. They do make clear full face shields too but they cost more obviously.

I want to try the new technology visors where they are made to refract light in a way as to appear to have the same depth perception of not wearing one. A guy on our team has a nice Itech and i tried on his helmet to check it out and I know I could play with that easily with no troubles.

They are not cheap however.

As for the elbow pads, chest thingie and other stuff you mentioned intermediate recreational gear should be okay for you for the prices you listed. The stuff these days is actually made pretty well compared to the cheap stuff 10 or 15 years ago. Back then you would get a recommendation of spending the extra.

Maybe not so much these days ... I wear $40 shinguards which are considered cheap and I can atest to them being good protection because I like to block shots. I don't think there is a shinguard made pain free and hurt proof. I've been felled blocking shots wearing very expensive top of the line shinguards.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Dan Cloutier

Aside from the skates obviously your gear should be pretty much interchangable between the two. You may want to consider having different sticks for roller and ice because you can wear sticks down pretty quickly in roller.

As far as the pants/girdle issue its all about personal preference. Personally I use pants with a shell over them.

As for the helmet I use a cage for regular leagues and take it off for shinny and whenever else I don't need to wear it and usually have no problem adjusting, but if your just starting out I would suggest wearing the cage especially if you playing with a bunch of other new guys who might not be able to control their sticks too well. Then as you get more comfortable either take it off or get a visor

Dan Cloutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Parisex9

thanks a lot guys that helped a lot..now i got some more questions ..haha

I've never actually bought a stick to use for a serious hockey game/league. So i have no idea what flex lie or curve i want.. how could i figure out what i want

im 6'0 170

Old
05-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
thanks a lot guys that helped a lot..now i got some more questions ..haha

I've never actually bought a stick to use for a serious hockey game/league. So i have no idea what flex lie or curve i want.. how could i figure out what i want

im 6'0 170
The rule of thumb is your flex should be 1/2 your weight. However, when you cut your stick down the flex goes up, so at your weight I wouldn't start with a flex any higher than 85.

Definitely buy a cheap stick when you are first starting out, because chances are you will eventually want a different flex/blade/whatever. The RBK 4K might be a good choice.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Parisex9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
The rule of thumb is your flex should be 1/2 your weight. However, when you cut your stick down the flex goes up, so at your weight I wouldn't start with a flex any higher than 85.

Definitely buy a cheap stick when you are first starting out, because chances are you will eventually want a different flex/blade/whatever. The RBK 4K might be a good choice.

so what about curve ? how do i decide what i would want..is there a test or anything?

what does (p35 p36 p37) mean?

Old
05-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
so what about curve ? how do i decide what i would want..is there a test or anything?

what does (p35 p36 p37) mean?
no there is no test. you test them your self by trying them out. use your teammates stick until you decide what you like

those numbers are teh different kinds of curves. most have a players name along with tehm example. p3 sakic.

different curves are better for different things. toe curves make your wrist shots easier to get off hte ice, straighter blades are better for passing, but ultimately its all up to preference.

as far as flex, if you are just starting out, like everyone when they started, they arent the best skaters. if you cant flex the stick when you shoot, it really doesnt matter what flex you have.

i like about an 85 or 80. im 6'3 190. thats just what i like. flex is a preference also. you have to try things out to find out what you like but realistically you need to learn how to use these things before you can figure out what you like

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Parisex9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
no there is no test. you test them your self by trying them out. use your teammates stick until you decide what you like

those numbers are teh different kinds of curves. most have a players name along with tehm example. p3 sakic.

different curves are better for different things. toe curves make your wrist shots easier to get off hte ice, straighter blades are better for passing, but ultimately its all up to preference.

as far as flex, if you are just starting out, like everyone when they started, they arent the best skaters. if you cant flex the stick when you shoot, it really doesnt matter what flex you have.

i like about an 85 or 80. im 6'3 190. thats just what i like. flex is a preference also. you have to try things out to find out what you like but realistically you need to learn how to use these things before you can figure out what you like

kk sounds good to me, so i think im gonna start with a 80 flex because i dont think i will bent it at all, and i think im gonna shoot more of a wrist shot then i am slap shots..so what about like an 80 flex sakic curve? would that be the right thing to ask if i was gonna get a stick ..am i missing anything like toe curve or anything i have to ask for also?

Old
05-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
kk sounds good to me, so i think im gonna start with a 80 flex because i dont think i will bent it at all, and i think im gonna shoot more of a wrist shot then i am slap shots..so what about like an 80 flex sakic curve? would that be the right thing to ask if i was gonna get a stick ..am i missing anything like toe curve or anything i have to ask for also?
they generally make retail flexes in 85-100-110. thats eastons numbers but thats what most people go by. the flex is only talking about the shaft.

if you buy a two piece system, in other words you buy a shaft and blade seperate then insert the blade into the shaft, you have more options.

i have an easton z bubble 85 flex shaft with a sakic. a sakic is a mid curve. so what that means is the curve is more around the middle of the blade. a toe curve is more around the toe and a heel is more by the heel. there are more specifics than that but thats the gist.

----
when you are buying a retail blade you have to look at a chart like this one
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-blades.html

these blades match up with the a players name, or a letter number or both. i.e. sakic p3.

----
you also have to look at the lie. the lie, going by eastons numbers, on retail blades usually are either 5, 5.5, or 6. the lie is the angle between the blade and shaft. the each BLADE has a different lie. if you stand up straighter when you skate, you migh want a higher lie so that your entire blade is touching the ice, not just the toe or the heel. if you lean over more when you skate, you might want a lower lie.

the way to tell what lie you need is look at teh tape on your blade. if it more worn on by the toe you might want a higher lie, and vice versa. if the tape is wearing evenly then you probably have the right lie.

Old
05-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Parisex9

Quote:
they generally make retail flexes in 85-100-110. thats eastons numbers but thats what most people go by. the flex is only talking about the shaft.

if you buy a two piece system, in other words you buy a shaft and blade seperate then insert the blade into the shaft, you have more options.

i have an easton z bubble 85 flex shaft with a sakic. a sakic is a mid curve. so what that means is the curve is more around the middle of the blade. a toe curve is more around the toe and a heel is more by the heel. there are more specifics than that but thats the gist.

----
when you are buying a retail blade you have to look at a chart like this one
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-blades.html

these blades match up with the a players name, or a letter number or both. i.e. sakic p3.

----
you also have to look at the lie. the lie, going by eastons numbers, on retail blades usually are either 5, 5.5, or 6. the lie is the angle between the blade and shaft. the each BLADE has a different lie. if you stand up straighter when you skate, you migh want a higher lie so that your entire blade is touching the ice, not just the toe or the heel. if you lean over more when you skate, you might want a lower lie.

the way to tell what lie you need is look at teh tape on your blade. if it more worn on by the toe you might want a higher lie, and vice versa. if the tape is wearing evenly then you probably have the right lie.

alright i think i got the idea of what kind i want, now any suggestions for the actualy stick i shuld start out with? someone said a reebok 4k, that a good choice?

Old
05-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
alright i think i got the idea of what kind i want, now any suggestions for the actualy stick i shuld start out with? someone said a reebok 4k, that a good choice?
i would get a two piece setup. it may cost a bit more but you will be able to customize it more

Old
05-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Parisex9

Quote:
i would get a two piece setup. it may cost a bit more but you will be able to customize it more
hmm, well im on a budget..if i do go with the 2 piece, how much of a difference wuld it make if i actually do customize it more then just getting a pro curve

Old
05-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
hmm, well im on a budget..if i do go with the 2 piece, how much of a difference wuld it make if i actually do customize it more then just getting a pro curve
you would have more options to choose from curves. if you are on a budget and just starting out, a stick like the rbk 4k is fine and will give you and idea of if you like the curve or not

Old
05-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Parisex9

Quote:
you would have more options to choose from curves. if you are on a budget and just starting out, a stick like the rbk 4k is fine and will give you and idea of if you like the curve or not
alright, and is there like a return option for sticks or anything or is it u buy it u keep it

Old
05-10-2009, 05:05 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
alright, and is there like a return option for sticks or anything or is it u buy it u keep it
youd have to ask the place where you buy it but id imagine if you buy it and use it they probably wont let you return it.

Old
05-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Parisex9

Quote:
youd have to ask the place where you buy it but id imagine if you buy it and use it they probably wont let you return it.
alright, im gonna order from hockeymonkey.com..thanks a lot bro your a big help