HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Mikhnov coming over...?

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2004, 09:12 AM
choppystride

vCash: 500
Mikhnov coming over...?

This tidbit from the Journal today more or less confirms what GuyF wrote a couple of days ago:
Mysterious Oilers first-round draft pick Alexei Mikhnov may be in Edmonton Tuesday to work out with fitness consultant Daryl Duke for a few days, and might skate with the guys who aren't playing. The six-five, 225-pound Ukrainian winger, Edmonton's first-round draft pick in 2000, was playing for Sibir Novosibirsk, but his Russian League team didn't make the playoffs. He's working on a visa and has to be back by March 28.

"He's been invited to the Russian national team camp for the world championship," said Oilers VP of hockey operations Kevin Prendergast. "(European scout) Frankie Musil saw him play two games and spent a day and a half with him over there and was impressed. We'd like to get him indoctrinated on the way we do things."

Mikhnov doesn't have a contract, and the Oilers, obviously, would like to get him signed. "He's big like (Nik) Antroprov, but he's not awkward. He skates like Chris Pronger and he's got soft hands," said Prendergast.
One of the complaints I had about him was that he never seemed to have played for any national junior teams (though I might be wrong...). Needless to say, I was more than impressed when I read that he got invited to the Russian national team camp. No small feat for a young guy playing for a crappy team.

This sudden turn in Mikhnov's fortune (though it's been well chronicled by HF posters during the past year) has me thinking that perhaps I shouldn't be so down on Eddie Caron just yet. Hmmmm.....

Last edited by choppystride: 03-22-2004 at 09:18 AM.
Old
03-22-2004, 09:28 AM
H-Bear

It would be very exciting to get him over here for next year. It certainly would make our LW a problem next year. If they bring him over, it would likely spell the end of at least one of our LW (trade for a C perhaps?).

Old
03-22-2004, 09:38 AM
Bohologo

Colour me confused: is he Ukranian? Russian? Ethnic Russian from Ukraine? I'm worried that he'll get Zherdev treatment.

I'm glad he's as big as Pronger, let's hope he's as mean as Pronger.

Old
03-22-2004, 09:52 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo
Colour me confused: is he Ukranian? Russian? Ethnic Russian from Ukraine? I'm worried that he'll get Zherdev treatment.
He's Ukrainian but he played for the Russian Junior team before so that's the team he's stuck with now... which can be a problem but this shold be viewed as great for hi development for now.

Old
03-22-2004, 05:07 PM
Shizuka

In the midst of all the playoff push excitement, this may have been lost in the shuffle. Guy, I don't suppose you will have a chance to make your way down to the rink and check our mysterious 2000 1st draft out? Coupled with the news that he has at least received an invite to the Russian side for the WC's, I am hoping it pushes his confidence high up enough to perhaps look for a contract. Incidentally, Guy, great writing on all of the articles since I've last addressed you. I'd add to the chorus of cheers in all those threads but as usual it's been covered and said by other posters, better than I could say.

Old
03-22-2004, 05:17 PM
zamboni

Does anyone have a reason as to why the RSL is so low scoring?

Old
03-22-2004, 05:18 PM
USC Trojans
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni
Does anyone have a reason as to why the RSL is so low scoring?
they don't count 2nd assists.

Old
03-22-2004, 05:34 PM
tylerr

Send a message via MSN to tylerr
Why not?

Old
03-22-2004, 06:14 PM
Lowetide

In 89-90, at age 20, Sergei Fedorov scored 19 goals in 48 games. The following season in Detroit, he scored 31.

I know that scoring is way down from where it was in 90-91, but the Russian league must be some pretty damn good hockey.

Old
03-22-2004, 06:28 PM
Matts

Couple of things here

what was his final numbers in the RSL?

From the way the Oilers are gushing about him, well the last guy I heard them speak of in such glowing terms was Hemsky when back in Sept of '01 MacT said this guy could probably make the big club now. He didn't and went back to the Q but a year later he made the jump without going to the A. So I'm using that old news to surmise the Oilers wouldn't be at all surprised if he were to make this club next season.

Finally, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that he isn't the most sound guy in his own end. So it would be funny to see MacT trying to "coach" or "handle" both him and Hemsky in the same season

Old
03-22-2004, 06:34 PM
speeds

Mikhnov final stats:

58GP 14G 8A for 22 pts, +3

team ranking:

GP: 3rd
G: 2nd
A: t-5th
pts: 3rd
+/-: 5th

Old
03-22-2004, 06:36 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
they don't count 2nd assists.
I think they do, but they don't give them away all the time like we do in NA.

To get a 2nd assist (or even a first assist) your pass has to be considered integral to the goal (at least, that's how I've always understood it, I could be wrong).

ie. you pass to a guy for a one timer, you get an assist.

you simply clear the zone, the other guy picks it up and does all the work for the goal, you probably don't get an assist.

Old
03-22-2004, 06:42 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds

To get a 2nd assist (or even a first assist) your pass has to be considered integral to the goal (at least, that's how I've always understood it, I could be wrong).

you simply clear the zone, the other guy picks it up and does all the work for the goal, you probably don't get an assist.
Geez, Horcoff would have 11 points.

Old
03-22-2004, 07:07 PM
USC Trojans
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds

Thanks for clearing that up.

Old
03-22-2004, 07:46 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
Finally, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that he isn't the most sound guy in his own end. So it would be funny to see MacT trying to "coach" or "handle" both him and Hemsky in the same season
Well seeing as he was a +3 on one of the worst teams in the league, and the league plays a very defensive oriented game as a whole, I'm not sure how accurate that assumption is...

Old
03-22-2004, 07:57 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Yeah the RSL is stingy about handing out assists, and is a trapfest (which is exacerbated by the fact that they play on international ice).

Old
03-22-2004, 09:13 PM
Matts

Well

he'd be the anomoly if he was good in both ends at that age and from taht country

Closed Thread