HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coburn and Knuble Questions

Old
05-08-2009, 08:39 PM
ThorntonFan19

vCash: 500
Coburn and Knuble Questions

Alright ill get to the point. I know you guys dont expect to move Coburn but if you guys were what would the sharks need to give to get him? Would a deal like Ehrhoff and Nabokov for Coburn + Lupul be of interest?

Alright now to the Knuble questions. The sharks really lacked a guy who can screen goalies consistently on the pp and I have heard he does it well, but at such an old age what else does he bring to the table. Is he still a top six forward? How is his speed? How is he physically? How much do you think that he will be payed this offseason? How do you guys think he would fit with Thornton? I have so many questions about this guy. Thanks in advance.

ThorntonFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 08:53 PM
ilovetheflyers8

One thing Knuble does well other than screen and deflect goals is that he can win battles on the boards.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 09:01 PM
six sigma
Thank you Kimmo

I would love me some Evgeni Nabokov on the O and B...but we'd need to shed more salary there I think.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 09:07 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Given up on Nabby, have you?

Knuble's instincts around the net are as strong as ever. He's responsible defensively, even if he has lost a step. He's not terribly aggressive on the physical front, but he's tough to move from the front of the net and, by extension, is a huge bonus on the powerplay (when he's not negating them by taking penalties of his own). He's still a decent penalty killer, as well. He's better suited to play limited even strength minutes (I believe) but can be effective on special teams.

I imagine he'll get a similar contract, probably between $2M & $3M. He had his first real NHL success with Thornton in Boston, so I imagine they could rekindle some of that magic.

I really hope the Flyers can keep him, though. He's a great leader, a great guy to have around the locker room, he's very candid with the media and he's one of the only true veterans on the roster.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 09:10 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

with regards to the trade proposal, you'd have to do some finagling (great word) because nabokov's salary alone is equal to coburn+lupul. actually, now that i think about it, i'd say no because nabokov has one year left on his deal. his salary will almost definitely go up, and there's no guarantee that he's staying.

with regards to knuble, i think he would work well with big joe, but i don't know if he's up to that fast-paced game that the sharks seem to like to play.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 09:12 PM
ThorntonFan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma View Post
I would love me some Evgeni Nabokov on the O and B...but we'd need to shed more salary there I think.
If your willing to move Coburn we'll take all the salary you want us to . How about Coburn, Lupul and Jones for Ehrhoff, Nabokov and Lukowich?

Old
05-08-2009, 09:18 PM
ThorntonFan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
with regards to the trade proposal, you'd have to do some finagling (great word) because nabokov's salary alone is equal to coburn+lupul. actually, now that i think about it, i'd say no because nabokov has one year left on his deal. his salary will almost definitely go up, and there's no guarantee that he's staying.

with regards to knuble, i think he would work well with big joe, but i don't know if he's up to that fast-paced game that the sharks seem to like to play.
I doubt anyone give Nabby more than 5 million on him. Sure he is a #1 goalie in this league but he had some injury issues and now seems to be just a notch down from the Luongo's and Broduer's. If there was a deal around just Ehrhoff and Coburn what would the sharks have to add?

Old
05-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Norm MacDonald

Coburn can't be moved. He plays far too important a role.

Norm MacDonald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepOrange View Post
Coburn can't be moved. He plays far too important a role.
Anybody can be moved.

It's all about the return.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 10:31 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Anybody can be moved.

It's all about the return.
it would be EXTREMELY hard to beat Coburn's cost to impact ratio and that's an extremely important thing for this team right now to look at

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 11:09 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Can we have pickles ?

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 11:10 PM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
it would be EXTREMELY hard to beat Coburn's cost to impact ratio and that's an extremely important thing for this team right now to look at
Yea, I feel like Coburn is too important to this team in that any return would be far over priced. I consider him the Mike Richards of our defense, someone to build around.

but thats biased because I love him

SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 11:42 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 View Post
How do you guys think he would fit with Thornton?
He played with Thornton in Boston. Scored 20 and 30 goals.

P.S I hope Flyers will not re-sign Mike.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 12:49 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Alright ill get to the point. I know you guys dont expect to move Coburn but if you guys were what would the sharks need to give to get him? Would a deal like Ehrhoff and Nabokov for Coburn + Lupul be of interest?

Alright now to the Knuble questions. The sharks really lacked a guy who can screen goalies consistently on the pp and I have heard he does it well, but at such an old age what else does he bring to the table. Is he still a top six forward? How is his speed? How is he physically? How much do you think that he will be payed this offseason? How do you guys think he would fit with Thornton? I have so many questions about this guy. Thanks in advance.

At this point I believe that moving Lupul's upcoming contract and cap space would be a great boon to the Flyers being able to tweak the core into a Cup contender, and allow a tough young two-way D-man or greatly upgrade in goal... that said; taking on Nabby's contract would be counterproductive unless Homer feels that he is the one the team wants to get them over the hump. Bringing Coburn into the mix only makes the D-man acquisition imperative, but Nabby's contract negates the Lupul saving that would allow it... The goal would be upgraded, but Coburn's loss would not be able to be easily replaced... As I see it, anyway.

As for Knuble; I don't know if I should answer being that I might be his biggest supporter. ... With that said up front...

"The sharks really lacked a guy who can screen goalies consistently on the pp and I have heard he does it well" - You heard correctly as he is one of the best in the NHL at it... He sets up there on the PP and crashes the net at even strength and is set there for the time in the zone, when he is not battling for the puck around the net and in the corners in order to allow his setting up... He doesn't get as many points as he is responsible for as he screens and disrupts the goalie and D-men, allowing many goals he doesn't touch.

"but at such an old age what else does he bring to the table." - He was a late bloomer who spent a full fiur years in college, and was not overused early in his career... As a result he has gas left in the tank even at his advanced age... He is big and well conditioned, working hard at it. What he brings to the table is a good two way player who can play both wings -- RW mainly -- up and down the roster as needed, making his line-mates better in every case. He plays both end of the special teams and is used in key situations and late in games... He is probably the teams best battler along the boards and in the corners and is very good at clearing pucks. He blocks a fair share of shots and chips in on the hits, although he is not a heavy hitter... He is best at the garbage goals but has a underrated hard shot and can score from anywhere when the opportunity arises, and has had his fair share of key goals.

"Is he still a top six forward?" - Definitely in the Flyers management's minds as he has been there all his tenure in O&B... Was there when they were eliminated by the Pens.

"How is his speed?" - You can't lose what you never had, LOL... He never was a speedster, and has not gained any. He does however keep up with the play on most occasions... While he is never leading a rush, he has been able to follow up and be there to finish when needed... and has never been an albatross to the team in that area.

"How is he physically?" - Well conditioned, as I said earlier, and one would never guess is age if not aware of it... He doesn't appear to be as big as he is but he is one of the tallest on the team -- only one is an inch taller, IIRC -- and is actually the heaviest on the Flyers... He uses his size and strength well along the boards and the crease, crashing often and planting very well.

"How much do you think that he will be payed this offseason?" - Depends... If he tests the water, he can be paid well as teams that need his talents push up his contract -- ones that need a crease planter and veteran leader who is a character player in the Room and with the Media/fans -- He can demand a raise in that case... However, I believe that he gives the Flyers a home-team discount and works out a bonus laden contract that allows him to finish his career in Philly, or at least stay another year.

"How do you guys think he would fit with Thornton?" - He has proven that he plays his best with a top-notch center -- not that all wingers don't, LOL -- but he ups his game with a player like Forsberg, a healthy Briere and was excellent with Thorton while in Boston... I have no reason to doubt that he wouldn't reprise that if he were to be reunited with him.

... All that said, I don't think he will leave the Flyers... but if he does, I can see his desire to join Thorton, and the Sharks.

LEAVE KNUBLE ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 12:56 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Here is the first thing wrong with Sharks fans.

Dont give up on Nabby, give up on Thornton. Nabby is not the issue.

However, right about now I would sell Thoresen's left testicle to get Nabby onto this team. I dont care how we do it, I want it to happen. If it means moving Coburn, you got him. If it means moving JVR, you got him. We have enough depth at offense, defense needs a bit of work, but we can fix that in the offseason. If you look over the past 10+ years, our goalie situation has been HORRENDOUS. Esche, Boucher, Cechmanek, Snow, etc. Hextall was the last starting goalie that made an impact and could keep his position for years. Since then the Flyers have NEVER had a goalie that could play as a starter for more than 2. Nabby could be the guy to fix this problem.

Knuble on the other hand is OK in my book. He wins those hard battles in the corners and plays much like LeClair in that he camps in front of the net and gets the trashy goals that we need. I would be all for keeping him in this lineup if he takes a paycut which I hope he does. 3rd line winger isnt bad for him. He would still fit here just fine.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 02:05 AM
ThorntonFan19

Would you guys do Nabokov, Joslin for VanRiemsdyk, Rathje, 2nd?

Old
05-09-2009, 02:16 AM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Absolutely, but Rathje has been on the LTIR for 2 years and will retire soon if he hasn't already. So his cap number doesn't count, and the trade wouldn't work cap-wise. Also we don't have a 2nd round pick for a couple years.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 07:53 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Quote:

RATHJE?!? Do you even watch hockey? Want us to throw in Van Impe as well?

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 07:55 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
god no

Rathje is a non-entity to us anyways and doesnt even effect our cap

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 08:47 AM
PhillyFan4Ever

he prolly means ratchuk

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 08:59 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan4Ever View Post
he prolly means ratchuk
Rathje vs Ratchuk

A completely different spelling in my opinion. Not to mention he is a Sharks fan and Rathje played there before he came here.

If I was a betting man, I would venture a guess that he didn't misspell Rathje.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Death of a Martian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
One thing Knuble does well other than screen and deflect goals is that he can win battles on the boards.
Another thing he does really well is taking penalties and the worst possible times.

AKA - Knubed or Knubled.

Death of a Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 10:17 AM
TheKingPin

yes, we are going to get a top end goalie this summer, i could see Nabby getting traded just because something has to change in SJ, and its stupid to think that Thornton is that change. Nabby had a n off year this year with injuries etc, i could see a deal being done.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 11:27 AM
silver surfer

vCash: 770
I like Ehrhoff a lot. But not enough to give up Coburn. And I don't think that Nabokov is a huge upgrade on Biron at this point in his career - especially if we replace Coburn with Ehrhoff in front of him. If we're going to change the goalie, I'd rather go <30 years old.

silver surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 12:20 PM
ThorntonFan19

Guys I put Rathje in to add some cap onto our side. I didnt know he was gooing to retire so I guess that eliminates that. We could take Jones of your hands if you want.