Savolainen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
Goalies:
Aittokallio Sami - Ilves -92
Kuusela Joonas - Pelicans -90
Ortio Joni - TPS -91
Similä Petteri - Niagara IceDogs -90 (Joins the camp roster in NA)

Defensemen:
Eronen Teemu - Jokerit -90
Kivistö Tommi - Jokerit -91
Laakso Aleksi - Blues -90
Manelius Nico - Jokerit -91
Niemi Jyri - Saskatoon Blades -90 (Joins the camp roster in NA)
Näkyvä Kristian - Blues -90
Rissanen Rasmus - Everett Silvertips -91 (Joins the camp roster in NA)
Vatanen Sami - JYP -91
Vidgren Tony - Lukko -90
Vittasmäki Veli-Matti - TPS -90

Forwards:
Blomqvist Sami - Blues -90
Elo Eero - Lukko -90
Granlund Mikael - HIFK -92
Hartikainen Teemu - Kalpa -90
Ikonen Jasse - JYP -90
Jormakka Pekka - JYP -90
Lajunen Jani - Blues -90
Myttynen Matias - Ilves -90
Nättinen Joonas - Blues -91
Pakarinen Iiro - Kalpa -91
Rajala Toni - Brandon Wheat Kings -91 (Joins the camp roster in NA)
Rask Joonas - Ilves -90
Sallinen Jere - Blues -90
Sointu Matias - Sudbury Wolves -90 (Joins the camp roster in NA)
Tallberg Teemu - HIFK -91

- Erik Haula's (21gp 12g+23a=35p) in USHL were not enough.
- Pulkkinen and Donskoi are out of the team because of injuries.

No Erik Haula?! That's unbelievable! He is playing a great season!

Savolainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Diaboli

Anyone know the reason for excluding Haula from the squad? Would've thought his brilliant season at USHS would've given him at least an invite to the second camp...

Diaboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Panopticon

Man, leaving out Haula could be a big mistake. Especially when this team is already missing top forwards in Pulkkinen and Donskoi... damn, this could've been a great team...

Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Korkki

Ässät will play against Jortikka's Jokerit tomorrow, and I am confident that our local sport reporters will squeeze the reason out from him. He just brought out that he is truely like his surname (for you who can't understand Finnish, Jortikka is a nickname for a big penis...)

Korkki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Phenomenon

Finnish junior national team coaches work part-time and have not enough time to follow the prospects playing outside Finland. Haula has not played so well lately in the national team, so I believe that he has not been chosen due to that out of date impression.

The same thing almost happened to Oskar Osala some tournaments ago, when he was chosen as the last forward to the team and - surprise, surprise - he was one of the best players in that tournament.

NA junior leagues are not so much appreciated here in Finland due to bad experience in their ability to develop European youngsters.

Phenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 05:34 PM
illone84

when are they gonna release the final roster?

illone84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 03:13 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by illone84 View Post
when are they gonna release the final roster?
After the exhibition game against Canada in Calgary on 22th of December.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 04:04 AM
TampereenIlves

Send a message via MSN to TampereenIlves
Damn I miss Rajala

TampereenIlves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 06:12 AM
Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampereenIlves View Post
Damn I miss Rajala
There you go, remember to use a tissue

Old
12-12-2009, 03:17 AM
Korkki

As I predicted Jortikka was interviewed in local newspaper. He told that the whole conversation is pointless, he knows the production of Haula and he has got reports from Finnish NHL-scouts about him. He mentioned also that he knows that USHL is the second-tier league in USA juniors (what I didn't know)and "that about those points".

He also told that this "local movement" only makes him laugh and he knows who is the person behind it (meant Tomi Haula, Erik's father who is a bit controversial person). And in the end he said that he has picked the best available players and if Erik is so good that he belongs to the WJC team he can do it next year.

Personally, I think you can read between the lines that the biggest reason for Erik not being in the tourney is his father. However, being a controversional character it just can't matter whether you will choose his son or not. I hope Finland will be so bad that everyone will crush Jortikka after the tournament.

Old
12-12-2009, 07:17 AM
FINNtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korkki View Post
I hope Finland will be so bad that everyone will crush Jortikka after the tournament.
Yeah let's all hope that Finland loses every game just because the coach didn't pick a player originally from Pori.

Korkki =

FINNtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 07:24 AM
FINNtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNtastic View Post
Yeah let's all hope that Finland loses every game just because the coach didn't pick a player originally from Pori.

Korkki =
I hope that Porin Ässät files for bankruptcy at the end of the season and Korkki has to move to Rauma.

Old
12-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Diaboli

Haha, well, I don't hope for banktruptcy for Ässät, nor do I wish for a big downfall for the Finnish WJC team. Surprised that Jortikka still doesn't care about the kid if he knows him. Guess he has his reasons, regardless of what those reasons are...

Old
12-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

vCash: 735
Quote:
I hope that Porin Ässät files for bankruptcy at the end of the season and Korkki has to move to Rauma.
Riiiiight, the team with one of the most stable financial situation in the league will file for bankruptcy

Quote:
Personally, I think you can read between the lines that the biggest reason for Erik not being in the tourney is his father. However, being a controversional character it just can't matter whether you will choose his son or not. I hope Finland will be so bad that everyone will crush Jortikka after the tournament.
Come on dude, so the kid from Pori was not selected, it's nothing personal from Jortikka against Pori, there were simply better players available. You're just making every one of us from Pori look like retards.

Qurpiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 02:51 PM
Korkki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qurpiz View Post
Come on dude, so the kid from Pori was not selected, it's nothing personal from Jortikka against Pori, there were simply better players available. You're just making every one of us from Pori look like retards.
Did I say that Jortikka has something against Pori (Hey, Tähtinen is playing in Jokerit )? Read again...

And Finntastic, am I doing something wrong if I am not supporting team Finland in WJC?

Old
12-12-2009, 05:26 PM
FINNtastic

Quote:

And Finntastic, am I doing something wrong if I am not supporting team Finland in WJC?
Do I really need to answer that?

Let's just hope that Pori gets its independence and claim Finland's place at the WJC's in the near future so you wouldn't have to wait and check out the team roster before you decide whether or not to root for the team.

Old
12-13-2009, 06:40 AM
Korkki

Quote:
Do I really need to answer that?

Let's just hope that Pori gets its independence and claim Finland's place at the WJC's in the near future so you wouldn't have to wait and check out the team roster before you decide whether or not to root for the team.
Yes you need to. Because I just can't understand why I can't neutrally watch the games and support the individual players if there is any. The place I live does not mean anything in that.

Yes, let's hope Pori gets independence and Selänne plays for USA and Kipper for Canada, because they need to represent the country they live...

Old
12-15-2009, 02:25 PM
korben*

After todays match against KooKoo there will be 4 cuts.

All depends... but I take a shot. Very close depth (= no depth at all) when we try to figure out from about 15th best onwards.

Sorry guys. Kuusela (G), Vidgren (D), Pakarinen (F), Tallberg (F)
Not upset if two or even three of them fly to Canada.
If all... then I quit following junior hockey.

Cut 2 Ds or 2Fs? I cut 2 Fs. If 2Ds, then Manelius is off. Despite his obvious leadership qualities (Jokerit A captain)

korben* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 04:59 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben View Post
Sorry guys. Kuusela (G), Vidgren (D), Pakarinen (F), Tallberg (F)
My guess of the final team, baring injuries:

Rajala - Granlund - Rask
Hartikainen - Nättinen - Elo (Imagine facing this line on the ice)
Sallinen - Lajunen - Jormakka
Ikonen - Myttynen - Pakarinen
Blomqvist

Niemi - Vatanen
Laakso - Vidgren
Eronen - Vittasmäki
Kivistö

Ortio
Aittokallio

- Ortio is the clear starter. Aittokallio and Kuusela are probably fairly even, but I hope that Jortikka chooses the younger one. Similä hasn’t played that much this season, so I’m surprised that he even made the camp.

- Vidgren was clearly better than Näkyvä in a D-team – U20 match that I watched a week ago. From what I’ve seen from Manelius this season, I would leave him out of the team. Not sure how Rissanen has developed in NA, so he might pass over one of the D’s that I chose.

- Tallberg and Pakarinen are both excellent players for the 4th line winger role, but I guess that only one of them makes the team, that being Pakarinen. …But if both of them make the team, Blomqvist might be the one that’s left out. Sointu has only scored 4 times in his 28 games in OHL, so one might think that he’s not in a good enough form to make the team. Only god and Jortikka himself knows why Haula didn’t get the chance instead of Sointu.

Old
12-15-2009, 11:31 PM
korben*

Quote:
Niemi - Vatanen
Laakso - Vidgren
Eronen - Vittasmäki
Kivistö
I say five of those are locks. Namely.

Vatanen-Niemi-Laakso-Eronen and Vittasmäki.

Now there is small dilemma between Kivistö-Manelius. For me it would be easy desision, despite the fack that Kivistö has played about double of what Manelius. I would chooce Nico. We have enough attacing type Ds already. Semi-stay at home. None.
Weird describtion of his role, I know. I am still undesided on that. Imo. He will be Waltteri Immonen type stay at home players that will not go to NHL. And captains Jokerit for about 15 years in progress. Just like Waltteri.

Then again. When I start comparing players to W. Immonen. There MUST be something wrong

Nico isn´t THAT good. I do hope he grows to be even half of what Waltteri was.

korben* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben View Post
I say five of those are locks. Namely.

Vatanen-Niemi-Laakso-Eronen and Vittasmäki.

Now there is small dilemma between Kivistö-Manelius. For me it would be easy desision, despite the fack that Kivistö has played about double of what Manelius. I would chooce Nico. We have enough attacing type Ds already. Semi-stay at home. None.
I think that Vidgren is also a lock, so in my books that would make it 6. Kivistö already played in this tournament last year and also has some experience from the WHL, that's a clear advantage over Manelius. On the other hand I have to admit that Manelius might be better defensively; he's a competitive player with a strong upper body and not afraid of getting his hands dirty.

In the end all this speculation might be pointless. Jortikka might see something in Näkyvä as well. He played in 11 Mestis games for U20, the most of all players. With leaving Kivistö and Manelius home, they would both be available for Jokerit and thus it could benefit Jortikka?

Old
12-16-2009, 11:25 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
I hope Finland will be so bad that everyone will crush Jortikka after the tournament.
By everyone I assume you mean the 3 people outside of HFBoards and Jatkoaika posters that have heard of Haula?

As for the d-men situation, I also think Manelius will be the one staying. Based on comments by Jokerit fans at Jatkoaika, Kivistö seems to have played better, where as Manelius has too many times been mentioned as "loosing his man" or "coughing up the puck" or "physically not yet ready".

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 05:01 PM
FINNtastic

Quote:
Yes you need to. Because I just can't understand why I can't neutrally watch the games and support the individual players if there is any. The place I live does not mean anything in that.

Yes, let's hope Pori gets independence and Selänne plays for USA and Kipper for Canada, because they need to represent the country they live...

After this I'll let this issue go, but Korkki have fun hoping Finland sucks.

And too bad Pori loses Haula and Joensuu to USA according to your logic

Old
12-16-2009, 05:20 PM
FINNtastic

Quote:
Hartikainen - Nättinen - Elo (Imagine facing this line on the ice)
So you're hoping their combined foot speed is enough for the smaller rinks. There's been a few seasons since I last saw Elo but Hartikainen and Nättinen lack speed so is Elo enough to keep the line up to game speed?

I'll make my line predictions when I have more time but all and all I agree with your final roster selection. Haula surely would have been interesting.

On a interesting side note Teemu Pulkkinen was selected to the U18 team that takes part in a tournament in Switzerland after christmas. Probably not just physically fit for the more grueling U20 tournament...
Actually Joonas Donskoi was also named to the U18 squad. I'm confused.

Old
12-17-2009, 05:37 AM
FINNtastic

Jyri Niemi didn't play last night so he's been out of action for two and a half weeks. I'm a bit concerned 'cause we (as in team Finland) don't afford to lose any other quality players.