Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland

Team Finland @ 2010 U20WJC's

Old
12-17-2009, 06:34 AM
psycho_dad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNtastic View Post
So you're hoping their combined foot speed is enough for the smaller rinks. There's been a few seasons since I last saw Elo but Hartikainen and Nättinen lack speed so is Elo enough to keep the line up to game speed?
Elo is not known to be very mobile yet, in fact for all I know, his foot speed is what has kept him from the Lukko roster.

psycho_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:57 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
S

On a interesting side note Teemu Pulkkinen was selected to the U18 team that takes part in a tournament in Switzerland after christmas. Probably not just physically fit for the more grueling U20 tournament...
Actually Joonas Donskoi was also named to the U18 squad. I'm confused.
In this week's issue of Kiekkolehti, Sakari Pietilä said that Pulkkinen's status will be fully known at the end of the week. Pietilä said he's recovered quicker than expected from the hand injury.

In today's Iltalehti there was an article on Donskoi. He said he had fever for about a week that delayed his on-ice return to last week. So obviously he isn't fit for the WJC.

Back on topic, Kuusela, Manelius, Vidgren and Blomqvist were cut from the squad today.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:46 AM
ChadS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
In this week's issue of Kiekkolehti, Sakari Pietilä said that Pulkkinen's status will be fully known at the end of the week. Pietilä said he's recovered quicker than expected from the hand injury.
Does this mean he might be able to play with the U-18 or the U-20. If he's even close to fit, he would be a much better choice than for example Sointu, who's probably going to get a place on the U-20 roster.

Last edited by ChadS: 12-17-2009 at 12:31 PM.
ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
So you're hoping their combined foot speed is enough for the smaller rinks. There's been a few seasons since I last saw Elo but Hartikainen and Nättinen lack speed so is Elo enough to keep the line up to game speed?
It’s more of a fantasy line, but it could actually work. Nättinen and Elo showed fairly good chemistry in Mestis games and Hartikainen would fit their style of play well. The lack of agility could be a small problem, but it would be nice if Jortikka would give this line a chance. If this line would gain a control of the puck along the boards in the offensive zone, it could be really hard to stop them.

Quote:
In today's Iltalehti there was an article on Donskoi. He said he had fever for about a week that delayed his on-ice return to last week. So obviously he isn't fit for the WJC.
Donskoi played in a Kärpät-Hokki friendly match today, so he's match fit. Naturally not 100% yet, but he’s getting there. As a side note Miikka Salomäki also played in this game and performed really well, better than Donskoi actually.

Quote:
Back on topic, Kuusela, Manelius, Vidgren and Blomqvist were cut from the squad today.
... And I was so certain that Vidgren would make it.

Last edited by Tormentor: 12-17-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 05:30 PM
korben*

Managed to predict D cuts correctly. Of forwards Blomqvist cut was bit of a surprise, but then again he is one of those guys that either plays in Top 6 or doesn´t play at all. So not that surprising in the end.

Still three to go. Of goalies Similä is off.
Our tandem is Ortio/Aittokallio. This should be easy one.

Of 8 defenders it is very close call. We will play with 7 Ds and odd man out is Kivistö or Rissanen. Not picking one this time

Of forwards. Tallberg is first in my cut list. Looking at our Top 12, he just does´t seem to fit in. Who else would you cut? Pakarinen?

So our final roster looks about this

Ortio
Aittokallio

Vatanen (A) - Eronen
Niemi - Vittasmäki (A)
Laakso - Näkyvä
(Kivistö/Rissanen)

Rask/Elo - Granlund - Rajala
Elo/Rask - Nättinen - Hartikainen
Sallinen - Lajunen (C) - Jormakka
Ikonen - Sointu - Myttynen
(Pakarinen/Tallberg)

Edit: Captains

Last edited by korben*: 12-19-2009 at 05:43 PM.
korben* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 04:12 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben View Post
Edit: Captains
Nättinen has been wearing the C through all season in the Mestis and other practice games, why should they suddenly hand it to Lajunen instead?

Also, I suspect either Rask or Niemi instead of Vittasmäki will get the other A. Likely Rask, as he wore the C last year in U18 games.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 04:15 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Vatanen (A) - Eronen
Laakso - Näkyvä
It might spell disaster to have two defensive pairings like this, especially if we face Canada or USA later on in the tournament. I would feel a lot safer with Niemi-Vatanen and Laakso-Vittasmäki.

Quote:
Ikonen - Sointu - Myttynen
(Pakarinen/Tallberg)
Myttynen might be better as a centre forward than Sointu. Jortikka could be looking for a 4th line that can forecheck and hit, so Tallberg-X-Pakarinen would fit that role well. Jortikka could have easily made the decision to drop either one of them already in Finland, so there might be reason why he took both of them to Canada. The final cut could just as easily be Sointu or someone else.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 04:17 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
I would feel a lot safer with Niemi-Vatanen and Laakso-Vittasmäki.
Vatanen - Niemi is almost a granted as the top pair.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 08:23 AM
korben*

Anyone know what our final three cuts were?

At Jatkoaika someone mensioned Rissanen of Ds and Tallberg of Fs. In this forums WJC thread someone mensioned that Similä was goalie cut.
Not far from what I thought. Actually...

Before champs even start. Must complain of last nights top 2 lines.

Rajala - Granlund - Hartikainen
Sallinen - Nättinen - Rask

What is Hartikainen doing alongside Granlund? Haven´t they already proven that they have no chemistry whatsoever!
Also, if plan is to make 3rd line to play 0-0, what is Elo doing in it instead of Sallinen?

And, nope did not see the match. Jortikka is, naturally, much better coach than any of us home coaches.
So he does have a reason. For just a fan, some decisions doesn´t open that easily. And media won´t ask questions I would, that is for sure

korben* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Lehtz

Send a message via MSN to Lehtz
Quote:
Before champs even start. must complain of last nights top 2 lines.

Rajala - Granlund - Hartikainen
Sallinen - Nättinen - Rask

What is Hartikainen doing alongside Granlund? Haven´t they already proven that they have no chemistry whatsoever!
Also, if plan is to make 3rd line to play 0-0, what is Elo doing in it instead of Sallinen?

And, nope did not see the match. Jortikka is, naturally, much better coach than any of us home coaches.
So he does have a reason. For just a fan, some decisions doesn´t open that easily. And media won´t ask questions I would, that is for sure
I Think Rask might actually be good fit for first line, played solid against Canada, is hard working, has a ton of speed and good vision. So Switching Hartikainen and Rask is what I'd do. I thought Sallinen played pretty well in Blues lately and thought he might even be a solid choice to second line, but atleast game against Canada was really disappointing, so player like Elo might be worth a try atleast (if I remember right he already played with Nättinen in U20 in Mestis.).

Lehtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 02:10 AM
Finnpin

Cuts were Sami Aittokallio, Rasmus Rissanen ja Teemu Tallberg.

The final team:

Goalies:

1 Joni Ortio, TPS
28 Petteri Similä, Niagara IceDogs

Defenders:

3 Tommi Kivistö, Jokerit
4 Teemu Eronen, Jokerit
6 Kristian Näkyvä, Blues
8 Jyri Niemi, Saskatoon Blades
9 Sami Vatanen, JYP
12 Aleksi Laakso, Blues
25 Veli-Matti Vittasmäki, TPS

Forwards:

10 Matias Myttynen, Ilves
11 Toni Rajala, Brandon Wheat Kings
13 Matias Sointu, Sudbury Wolves
14 Pekka Jormakka, JYP
16 Eero Elo, Lukko
18 Iiro Pakarinen, KalPa
19 Joonas Rask, Ilves
20 Jere Sallinen, Blues
21 Jasse Ikonen, JYP
22 Mikael Granlund, HIFK
24 Jani Lajunen, Blues
29 Joonas Nättinen, Blues
35 Teemu Hartikainen, KalPa

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 05:36 AM
Finnswiss

I wish the Finns good luck for the tournament but they have very strong opponents to begin. Hopefully they can earn a point against the Czechs but this will be very difficult too, I think against Russia they are the underdogs, because Russia is traditonally very strong especially by the juniors.

Finnswiss is offline   Reply With Quote