HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Imagine the Shootout in other sports?

Old
05-07-2009, 06:58 AM
Habblues

vCash: 500
Imagine the Shootout in other sports?

Even when the Habs win their shootouts (this year and last) i walk away thinking, "that`s not the way to decide a game."Especially a Team Game.What`s wrong with both teams getting 1 point each ? I just can`t imagine having a HOMERUN contest to decide a baseball game,or a FIELD GOAL contest to decide a football game....or a free throw contest to decide a basketball game.......I think it`s time we scrap the shootout...What do other people think ?

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 07:01 AM
CanadaIsHockey

Or Penalty shots deciding soccer games including the World Cup (The most watched sporting event in the world)

CanadaIsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 07:14 AM
Riverboat Gambler

I get where your coming from. I'm fine with it in the playoffs so long as the single point remains for an OTL. It's exciting and it makes for great theatre for the games best dekers.

Football is worse (at least NFL Football). Win the coin toss and all you need to do is drive half the field and hit a FG to win the game. The College system is better. Loosing team gets nothing for their play during the game but a bitter taste.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 07:40 AM
Dripper

vCash: 205
Some sports (like basketball, volleyball, baseball) are high-scoring games. Much easier to go with traditionnal OT to decide the game winner as you know it's not going to last too long.

In soccer, there are just not enough goals scored to let the OT go on forever.

Hockey is a contact sport and is prolly the most difficult physically, therefore you can't let the teams play 2-3 OTs in the regular season. I think shootout are a good compromise. Would you rather go back to the days where teams prefered to play safe to keep their point in OT and tie the game instead of going for 2?

And I agree with Riverboat Gambler, the NFL rule just plain suck. I don't know what are the stats but pretty much everytime I watch a game go to OT, the team that wins the coin toss wins the game on a FG.

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 07:53 AM
Stubbs88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dripper View Post
Some sports (like basketball, volleyball, baseball) are high-scoring games. Much easier to go with traditionnal OT to decide the game winner as you know it's not going to last too long.

In soccer, there are just not enough goals scored to let the OT go on forever.

Hockey is a contact sport and is prolly the most difficult physically, therefore you can't let the teams play 2-3 OTs in the regular season. I think shootout are a good compromise. Would you rather go back to the days where teams prefered to play safe to keep their point in OT and tie the game instead of going for 2?

And I agree with Riverboat Gambler, the NFL rule just plain suck. I don't know what are the stats but pretty much everytime I watch a game go to OT, the team that wins the coin toss wins the game on a FG.
this.
a shootout just make sense in hockey.

and the NFL overtime definatley SUCKS. they should do it like the NCAA OT where each team gets a set of down on offence, or play the full OT and let the other team try to score. to much luck into how they decide games with a coin toss in sudden death. or maybe they could do like the XFL and at the end of the 4th quarter have a player from each team race for the ball

Stubbs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 08:19 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
I have no problem with the shootout. If you can win the Olympics on a shootout, I don't see the problem in getting an extra point out of it.

Like others have said, soccer, the most popular sport in the world, has shootouts to decide playoff games.

The NFL has a worse system than hockey.

For basketball, the odds of being tied after overtime are very slim, so it's not a problem for them to play it out.

Baseball plays the games out. That's probably more of a demand thing. There are enough people in the states watching baseball that they can keep the game on for extra time without bothering too many people. It's also not as physically demanding, and it's quite rare that they really need that many more innings to decide the game.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 08:20 AM
12jf54

vCash: 108
You're about four years late buddy

12jf54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 08:24 AM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
I get where your coming from. I'm fine with it in the playoffs so long as the single point remains for an OTL. It's exciting and it makes for great theatre for the games best dekers.

Football is worse (at least NFL Football). Win the coin toss and all you need to do is drive half the field and hit a FG to win the game. The College system is better. Loosing team gets nothing for their play during the game but a bitter taste.
..wat

Jeffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 08:32 AM
Newhabfan

Again - they do it on soccer. Last year the UEFA champions league final (the highest level match in club soccer IMO) was decided on shootouts. Recent World Cups finals (the highest level soccer game possible, with hundreds of millions of people watching) were decided on shootouts (the Zidane headbutt game, Italy/Brasil final in LA I think too etc).

Anecdote - there was a time when in England soccer cup, when a elimination game was tied they would replay the game a day or two later. For some reason they stopped

In Hockey, you have 82 regular season games. Two implications:

1 - You can't play 3-4 OTs till someone scores. It's already a marathon (compared to the 100m dash that's NFL for instance)

2 - the luck factor tends to compensate over 82 games - you will win some SOs you will lose some.

Also - from a marketing POV, shootouts sell. People love to see them a lot more then to see 2-3 OT periods.

What they should do though is to give 3 points for a regular season win and 2 points for an OT win.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 09:28 AM
12jf54

vCash: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse Flying V View Post
..wat

Nice catch !

12jf54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 09:40 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
Even when the Habs win their shootouts (this year and last) i walk away thinking, "that`s not the way to decide a game."Especially a Team Game.What`s wrong with both teams getting 1 point each ? I just can`t imagine having a HOMERUN contest to decide a baseball game,or a FIELD GOAL contest to decide a football game....or a free throw contest to decide a basketball game.......I think it`s time we scrap the shootout...What do other people think ?
Totally, totally agree.

I never saw the problem with a tie. Two points up for grabs at the beginning of the night, both team score the same amount of goals....each team gets one point.

It just makes sense.

With that being said, there is no doubt in my mind that the shootout is here to stay.

05-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Riverboat Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse Flying V View Post
..wat
yeah I meant Regular Season.

I forgot to eat my Wheaties this AM.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 10:24 AM
MoonlightGraham

Overtime in the CFL is kind of like the shootout (team gets the ball at I think the 35 yard line and tries to score, then the other team gets the ball at the same spot and tries to score). And it's much, much better than overtime in the NFL.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
A powerbomb contest to decide the main event at Wrestlemania

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 10:47 AM
saskhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
Overtime in the CFL is kind of like the shootout (team gets the ball at I think the 35 yard line and tries to score, then the other team gets the ball at the same spot and tries to score). And it's much, much better than overtime in the NFL.
Ugh. The CFL shootout is terrible. If you're going to allow field goals, make them start at mid-field and earn field goal position with a couple of gains. If you want to start at the 35, make them get a touchdown. I'm sorry, perhaps it's the bitterness of the 2004 CFL West Semi-Final where McCallum blew the 15 yarder for a single, but I don't ever want to see another team just get the ball and try and kick a field goal without moving the ball ever again to win it.

But yeah, it's better that each team gets a possession. But other than that, I don't like the CFL shootout at all.

What I don't get is this: Why is it so demanding on hockey players to have more than 5 minutes of overtime in an 82 game regular season but it's not on basketball players or baseball players? And if 4 on 4 is to be retained, just make it go at least 10 minutes. Statistics show that the likelihood of a goal in 10 minutes of 4 on 4 is close to 95%. Would 5 more minutes of 4 on 4 hurt anyone? If we need a result (I was okay with ties, too) then just make them play 4 on 4 for longer. They'll get one, and it'll actually happen quicker than breaking after 5 minutes and having zambonis come out for a shootout.

saskhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Totally, totally agree.

I never saw the problem with a tie. Two points up for grabs at the beginning of the night, both team score the same amount of goals....each team gets one point.

It just makes sense.

With that being said, there is no doubt in my mind that the shootout is here to stay.
I'M not surprised an old timer like you has that point of view. Ahem.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 10:49 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

I am really starting to hate the shootout. How many times did we dominate the last bit of the third period and overtime only to lose the game cause of this glorified skills competition. It was entertaining the first year but it is a lousy way to gain an extra point. Also the standings look ridiculous with the OTL column, it creates to many statistical anomalies.

I miss the tie, these 3 point games are stupid. What is wrong with 2 teams going the distance and ending in a draw as no one was the real victor. They should go to 10 minute 4vs4 OT with no extra point for the loser. The game is much faster now than before the lockout and teams won't sit back like they used to, it would make the win so much more gratifying.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Ado*

A rugby playoff game is decided in shootouts after 100 minute of equal score play ( 2 halves of 40 + 2 OT halves of 10)

The shootout is pretty simple. The ball is 22 meters (~25 yards) away from the posts and all you got to do is shoot it through. Each team gets 5 shots before sudden death. The trick is that in rugby, only 2 or 3 guys specialize in kicking.

But then again, a rugby shootout happens once every decade or so.

Ado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado View Post
A rugby playoff game is decided in shootouts after 100 minute of equal score play ( 2 halves of 40 + 2 OT halves of 10)

The shootout is pretty simple. The ball is 22 meters (~25 yards) away from the posts and all you got to do is shoot it through. Each team gets 5 shots before sudden death. The trick is that in rugby, only 2 or 3 guys specialize in kicking.

But then again, a rugby shootout happens once every decade or so.
That's what they should do in hockey.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

I don't care either way anymore. I would vote for ties, but I might not show up at the poll if it really came down to it. My son likes shootouts. I think they're for certain types of fans, and fans like me who would just take the tie, well, we're not going to stop watching hockey entirely just because there are shootouts. Shootouts are good for business.

Just so long as they never get into the playoffs.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Habblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
I am really starting to hate the shootout. How many times did we dominate the last bit of the third period and overtime only to lose the game cause of this glorified skills competition. It was entertaining the first year but it is a lousy way to gain an extra point. Also the standings look ridiculous with the OTL column, it creates to many statistical anomalies.

I miss the tie, these 3 point games are stupid. What is wrong with 2 teams going the distance and ending in a draw as no one was the real victor. They should go to 10 minute 4vs4 OT with no extra point for the loser. The game is much faster now than before the lockout and teams won't sit back like they used to, it would make the win so much more gratifying.
I agree,there`s nothing wrong with a tie.This day and age every team still wants to win in OT.If ya win the other team gets NOTHING ! Extend it to 10 min ,4on 4 and if still a tie then call it a day.To me the game is played as a team and should be won as a team,not by a one on one breakaway.

Old
05-07-2009, 11:24 AM
redmachine54

The only thing that aggravates me about the shootout is the pathetic attempt to appease fans who dislike it with an 'overtime' period. I mean, don't insult us by playing five minutes of useless hockey after the normal sixty are up... the vast majority of the time, the five minutes are wasted with neither team able to get anything going.

I would mind if it was twenty minutes of OT + a shootout, and I don't even like the shootout... but the five minutes seems more like a period of time for the players to cool down a bit before the shootout takes place.

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 11:26 AM
icerocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaIsHockey View Post
Or Penalty shots deciding soccer games including the World Cup (The most watched sporting event in the world)
I wanted to post this.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaIsHockey View Post
that's bc they might not score during 5 hrs of OT

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Habblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
that's bc they might not score during 5 hrs of OT
There`s a reason i never mentioned soccer in my original post...I realize that they have it in soccer and have always had it in soccer,,,,LEAVE IT IN SOCCER BUT NOT OUR GAME !