HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yes, the officiating was absolutely brutal, but...

Old
05-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Neely08

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
This is what I'm thinking.

This Bruins team makes the post-season next year, they can sit and watch tapes of this series. See? This is how you WIN playoff hockey. Determined. Smart. Calm.

This is a young team. I don't expect more from them than what they've given me. If we're in the playoffs next season, I want to see a different team. One that's learned something from this year. I suspect I will.
You'd hope so. You'd of thought game 7 last year was bitter enough for some of these guys.

Claude has to take some lumps here I think. Strategically, it's not rocket science what's killing them. Hard to believe they came in with the same game plan, hoping they'd just execute better.

Neely08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 11:29 PM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
You'd hope so. You'd of thought game 7 last year was bitter enough for some of these guys.

Claude has to take some lumps here I think. Strategically, it's not rocket science what's killing them. Hard to believe they came in with the same game plan, hoping they'd just execute better.
Also, stop the hard wrap off the opening faceoff. Last thing we need is to take an icing and have Carolina bury one 10 seconds in after a defensive zone faceoff for us.

Topshelf8188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 01:37 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
The Boston Bruins are the more talented team of the two, no question about that in my mind. As others have mentioned in this thread, I think it comes back to playoff heartbreak and playoff success. Carolina in '06 was full of players who had made it to the cusp of the Stanley Cup and never won it. Bret Hedican was on the '94 team in Vancouver that lost out. Glen Wesley, as you guys well know, was a Bruin for multiple runs that went 2nd round and deeper but never won. Rod Brind'Amour went to the cusp with the Flyers and never sealed the deal. Bottom line, that team was LOADED with players that had tasted bitter defeat and played as to never experience that again. Plus, the team from '02 getting blown out of the water by the Hall of Fame loaded Wings that year was still fresh in the minds of many.

That knowledge of not only what it takes to make it far, but what it feels like to suffer a bitter defeat after being somewhat favored to win the cup made that '06 team play with urgency unlike any team i've seen. That fear of defeat that Carolina created that year didn't go away when they missed out on the playoffs in the last two years. I think they were too contented with themselves the first year, but the bitterness of losing out on the 3rd seed in the final day of the regular season last year brought that gut wrenching feeling back.

In a roundabout way i'm trying to say that for better or worse or win or lose, the Bruins players that are on the roster are going to learn from this series. The young players will grow from having been here. They'll play all of next season, if they lose, remembering what it felt like to know your team has the firepower to win but not being able to apply it.

I am of the opinion that most teams that go on to be teams that compete for the cup have a period of time where they must experience a crushing defeat together in order to be able to generate that urgency of not accepting defeat. The series isn't over by a long stretch, but even if it is at this time on Monday you can walk away with the consolation that you know that a series lost like this will only grow your team closer together. Just as the mantra for Carolina in '06 was the veterans going around saying, "Vancouver '94, Boston '90, Carolina '02, Philadelphia '97", the same will be said around the Boston room the next time they make the dance.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 01:53 AM
nORRis8*

Sad part is, I don't see Carolina getting past the 3rd round.
As for the B's, we're toast.

nORRis8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 02:03 AM
Koopmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I am of the opinion that most teams that go on to be teams that compete for the cup have a period of time where they must experience a crushing defeat together in order to be able to generate that urgency of not accepting defeat.
Well...they've been experiencing crushing defeats for almost 40 years.

Koopmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 02:58 AM
Doc McKenna

Come in peace. I am sure you are all well aware of how the fans viewed our series with you guys(habs). We thought savard was diving everywhere and if you check the stats we took a strangely higher amount of penalties, esp after scoring or when having momentum. Sorry guys but the league has the worst refs in pro sports.

It makes you want to cry or put on a tin foil hat. But just like us some of your posters are well aware that getting outplayed is at the core of the problem. But it really sucks when you are playing poorly and the refs are handing the other team a victory.
You should see the pens series. They are calling the most marginal call when crosby, and malkin are just flopping all over the ice. Meanwhile all the guys like Kunitz Talbot and Orpik are out there charging guys on every hit, shots to the head, slew legs etc and the calls aren't even close.
The league calls petty stuff on dives but lets the big ones go. I don't know how Lucic got a suspension when you compare some of the blatant shots some of the other 'Stars' are getting away with in the other series.
So you are not alone. Refs suck and they always seem to be worse when your team isn't on their A game. It's not just you imagining it either. There is something very wrong with the reffing. Or at least compared to the reffing in the 70's 80's and 90's(I don't remember before that so I can't compare.) How does one see so many OT penalties on what would be a MARGINAL call during the 1st period of a regular season game. Very very inconsistant.

Best of luck getting past the canes. Cuz no matter who you face next round the penalties are going to be way more stacked than now. Esp if you play the pens.

It's hard being a hab watching this series. We really hate the canes from our 2 playoff series, but habs-bruins...yeah you know. (reminds you of us playing the flyers in second round last year, you may hate the flyers but the habs are always tops eh)

Sorry but just to ask if you guys do get eliminated who would you(if at all) be cheering for next round? Canes or someone from the other series? Always wonder. Some habs root for the team that defeated them thinking the get the morale high ground from losing to a contender. Myself there are just team I hate and teams I hate more than those teams. Though you do sometimes respect them.
Anyway best of luck guys.

Doc McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 03:48 AM
Mount KilimanChara

Quote:
The Boston Bruins are the more talented team of the two, no question about that in my mind. As others have mentioned in this thread, I think it comes back to playoff heartbreak and playoff success. Carolina in '06 was full of players who had made it to the cusp of the Stanley Cup and never won it. Bret Hedican was on the '94 team in Vancouver that lost out. Glen Wesley, as you guys well know, was a Bruin for multiple runs that went 2nd round and deeper but never won. Rod Brind'Amour went to the cusp with the Flyers and never sealed the deal. Bottom line, that team was LOADED with players that had tasted bitter defeat and played as to never experience that again. Plus, the team from '02 getting blown out of the water by the Hall of Fame loaded Wings that year was still fresh in the minds of many.

That knowledge of not only what it takes to make it far, but what it feels like to suffer a bitter defeat after being somewhat favored to win the cup made that '06 team play with urgency unlike any team i've seen. That fear of defeat that Carolina created that year didn't go away when they missed out on the playoffs in the last two years. I think they were too contented with themselves the first year, but the bitterness of losing out on the 3rd seed in the final day of the regular season last year brought that gut wrenching feeling back.

In a roundabout way i'm trying to say that for better or worse or win or lose, the Bruins players that are on the roster are going to learn from this series. The young players will grow from having been here. They'll play all of next season, if they lose, remembering what it felt like to know your team has the firepower to win but not being able to apply it.

I am of the opinion that most teams that go on to be teams that compete for the cup have a period of time where they must experience a crushing defeat together in order to be able to generate that urgency of not accepting defeat. The series isn't over by a long stretch, but even if it is at this time on Monday you can walk away with the consolation that you know that a series lost like this will only grow your team closer together. Just as the mantra for Carolina in '06 was the veterans going around saying, "Vancouver '94, Boston '90, Carolina '02, Philadelphia '97", the same will be said around the Boston room the next time they make the dance.
And here you are on the B's board. Too funny.

Anyways, you're right about the Bruins. This is a two year old team, core wise, and they will learn from their experiences this year. Their experiences aren't over yet, and neither is the series. Your insight on the Carolina cup winning team is well put. However, there is a significant contingent of Calgary '04 guys here as well as Chara who hasn't been to the big dance yet.

For me, this series has been about one team having a superstar and matching/overmatching the work ethic of a team built on that very principle. Staal is a superstar, he's scored some huge goals that no one else in the series could have scored. The Canes' secondary scoring has outproduced the Bruins' too, another reason it's 3-1 not 2-2. Officials haven't been great, but neither have the Bruins. Bottom line is the Bruins' talent hasn't produced and the Canes' has, while their effort players have matched ours.

It aint over yet, though, and I expect to see a different Bruins team on Sunday. Julien has brought a team back from 3-1 down before, as Bruins fans well know.

Mount KilimanChara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 05:49 AM
SenatorArmy

Send a message via MSN to SenatorArmy Send a message via Yahoo to SenatorArmy
Hmm i thought the officiating was alright. I was sort of switching between the 2 games though. the only really bad non-call i noticed was the Cane player who grabbed Chara, but the game was pretty much in the bag by then anyway.

SenatorArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 09:17 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoliva View Post
if anybody finds wheeler let me know
Or Bergeron, Kessel, Ryder, Krejci, Yelle, Bitz or Thornton.

Aside from Savard last night, every forward was terrible. They should be embarassed. Marc Savard was the only Bruins showing any heart or effort.

Let's face it...it's over. This team has either run out of gas or quit. Shame of a way to end such a great season, to go out with zero fight.

bp13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 09:26 AM
lextune
I'm too old for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf8188 View Post
They're putting on a playoff hockey clinic...we should be paying them for this.
^This.

Quote:

This Bruins team makes the post-season next year, they can sit and watch tapes of this series. See? This is how you WIN playoff hockey. Determined. Smart. Calm.

This is a young team. I don't expect more from them than what they've given me. If we're in the playoffs next season, I want to see a different team. One that's learned something from this year. I suspect I will.
I feel the same.

Quote:
I am of the opinion that most teams that go on to be teams that compete for the cup have a period of time where they must experience a crushing defeat together in order to be able to generate that urgency of not accepting defeat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopmann View Post
Well...they've been experiencing crushing defeats for almost 40 years.
No. Not really. 13 of the 22 guys who have played for the B's in these playoffs are under 30....

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Bri

Quote:

I agree. But why not learn this lesson last year?

Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Vtwin
Amused

Quote:

Excellent post. History proves your point for the most part. The Bruin's season last year was considered a success because they made the playoffs. Taking the number one seed to 7 games was unexpected and gave this team some confidence going into this season. Not many expected them to win the East this season but they pulled it off and expectations rose accordingly. Many of these players haven't been to a second round and none of them have been there together as a team. They are being educated on just what it takes to win the championship. Talent is only one piece of the puzzle and Carolina is proving that in a big way right now.

Kudos to the Carolina fans. THAT is the way it should be. Cheering on your team and not mocking the opponets with ridiculous chants.

Having said all that... This Bruins team has shown resilience and heart this season and it's not over yet.

Vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 11:30 AM
yohan1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenatorArmy View Post
Hmm i thought the officiating was alright. I was sort of switching between the 2 games though. the only really bad non-call i noticed was the Cane player who grabbed Chara, but the game was pretty much in the bag by then anyway.
and the 2 ridiculous calls giving the canes PP early in the 3rd not letting the bruins get any momentem??

yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 11:56 AM
obxcaneadian

I think with Boston more or less skating through the 1st series, they were not ready for REAL playoff hockey. It gave them a false impresiion of what it really takes to win in the Playoff enviorment.

I actually picked the Bruins to beat down Carolina, and to win Cup. I think they got a false impression by beating a down and out, injured Habs team. I actually think that the Panthers who were streaking at the end of the season, could have beat the Habs in 4 games.

Then having been on rest for 8 days playing an emotionally drained and spent Carolina team in the 1st game it gave the Bruins a false sence of security, but it takes a complete effort for at least 4 games

The experience the Canes have in the Playoffs, and the series they played against the Devils, put them in the frame of mind you need for Playoff hockey. Boston is definetly getting a lesson and hopefully they will learn from it.

Boston is getting outcoached, and outplayed on the one one battles, and the last 2 goals the defence just watched Samsonov and Staal go right around them. Everyman has to be acountable for their actions and the Bruins just didn't bring it.

On to Game 5, and may the best team win

obxcaneadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxcaneadian View Post
I think with Boston more or less skating through the 1st series, they were not ready for REAL playoff hockey. It gave them a false impresiion of what it really takes to win in the Playoff enviorment.

I actually picked the Bruins to beat down Carolina, and to win Cup. I think they got a false impression by beating a down and out, injured Habs team. I actually think that the Panthers who were streaking at the end of the season, could have beat the Habs in 4 games.

Then having been on rest for 8 days playing an emotionally drained and spent Carolina team in the 1st game it gave the Bruins a false sence of security, but it takes a complete effort for at least 4 games

The experience the Canes have in the Playoffs, and the series they played against the Devils, put them in the frame of mind you need for Playoff hockey. Boston is definetly getting a lesson and hopefully they will learn from it.

Boston is getting outcoached, and outplayed on the one one battles, and the last 2 goals the defence just watched Samsonov and Staal go right around them. Everyman has to be acountable for their actions and the Bruins just didn't bring it.

On to Game 5, and may the best team win
I wish I could disagree, but I think you are right on. I was hoping that we would see the "lesson learned" last night.

Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 03:29 PM
doakacola*

Quote:

I agree with you about how well Carolina is playing, but MMB come on they look the over-caffeniated fighter pilot we see on Comcast commercials here in Boston. They are really flying in our zone and playing with reckless abandon, not my definition of calm, at least in our end which is where the puck has been 70% of the last two games.

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 03:35 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe11sson View Post
And here you are on the B's board. Too funny.

Anyways, you're right about the Bruins. This is a two year old team, core wise, and they will learn from their experiences this year. Their experiences aren't over yet, and neither is the series. Your insight on the Carolina cup winning team is well put. However, there is a significant contingent of Calgary '04 guys here as well as Chara who hasn't been to the big dance yet.

For me, this series has been about one team having a superstar and matching/overmatching the work ethic of a team built on that very principle. Staal is a superstar, he's scored some huge goals that no one else in the series could have scored. The Canes' secondary scoring has outproduced the Bruins' too, another reason it's 3-1 not 2-2. Officials haven't been great, but neither have the Bruins. Bottom line is the Bruins' talent hasn't produced and the Canes' has, while their effort players have matched ours.
It aint over yet, though, and I expect to see a different Bruins team on Sunday. Julien has brought a team back from 3-1 down before, as Bruins fans well know.
Axe , every player on the Canes has been an effort player from G3-4, thats
why they dominated us. Who have been our effort guys? The only ones I see are Stuart and Thornton.

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Beantown Beatdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzothe7thDman View Post

Everytime we retrieved the puck in our own zone there was a cane on whoever had the puck. And then the puck got moved, and a cane was on the recipient of the puck.
Exactly. It always seems like the Canes have an extra player on the ice, cause where ever we are they're right there to, and just when you think we might have a break, it's like "where the hell did that guy come from" and it's no longer a break.

And yet when they have the puck there just seems to be so much room to skate.

I guess you would just call this being outplayed.

Beantown Beatdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by doakacola View Post
I agree with you about how well Carolina is playing, but MMB come on they look the over-caffeniated fighter pilot we see on Comcast commercials here in Boston. They are really flying in our zone and playing with reckless abandon, not my definition of calm, at least in our end which is where the puck has been 70% of the last two games.
You can be calm and still have energy. Mentally cool, but still determined.

You say "reckless abandon" but they still play with control. And if a chance gets nullified, they still come back with that same confidence. I don't see the chaos that you're explaining.

Mr. Make-Believe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 06:05 PM
SenatorArmy

Send a message via MSN to SenatorArmy Send a message via Yahoo to SenatorArmy
I don't think the Bruins had any illusions that Montreal was a terribly beaten up team. I think alot of the reason they are struggling is because the Canes are on a SUPREME CONFIDENCE high. The way they came out of New Jersey with that miraculous storybook finish & not to mention the victory with .2 seconds left, gave them such momentum that it's carried right into round 2. This is akin to Anaheim beating San Jose. Alot of people thought New Jersey might come out of the East, but no. I don't think the Bruins underestimated the Canes, but I think alot of the FANS did.

SenatorArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 06:11 PM
yohan1212

so the fat lady has sung I see?? i just dont think she has. If the Bruins get the next one, and gain some confidence they have decent shot of winning the next 3. A confident bruins team >> a confident hurricanes team any day of the weak..

Old
05-09-2009, 06:15 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
I love how Carolina fans are coming here to talk down to us. Oh, you'll be good in a few years, don't worry, you just need one more soul crushing defeat for experience. **** that.

If any one of those players needs to be humiliated before they can give their absolute best effort then they need to be shipped the **** out ASAP. I don't see Chicago and their young players folding like that.

Its time for them to step up and hand someone else that "valuable experience" of losing.

Last edited by dafoomie: 05-09-2009 at 06:21 PM.
dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 06:23 PM
yohan1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post
I love how Carolina fans are coming here to talk down to us. Oh, you'll be good in a few years, don't worry, you just need one more soul crushing defeat for experience. **** that.

If any one of those players needs to be humiliated before they can give their absolute best effort then they need to be shipped the **** out ASAP. I don't see Chicago and their young players folding like that.
tell me about it. ANd watching the playoffs, there is no way in hell any of the east teams will do very much against who comes out of the west. Carolina is Playing OVER their heads right now and the bruins are playing way under theirs. bad timing?? It could change VERY quickly if the bruins can muster up a win sunday night.