Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This sums up PJ for me...

Old
05-08-2009, 11:00 PM
MdL

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MdL
You kidding me? Axe played better than most bruins tonight.

MdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 11:01 PM
EmptyNetter

I agree -- it would have been a great momentum changer. So would the two shots we rang off the post. Really doesn't change the fact that there were enough rebounds that our guys couldn't get to because they refuse to get in front of the net. Sorry for going off topic here, but here were some more gripes:

1. Byron Bitz was inserted into the lineup and bumped Blake Wheeler back to the 4th line. Where's Blake this series? Might have done better sitting Wheeler and playing Thornton with Bitz and Yelle.
2. Savard scored the only Bruins goal tonight and I still thought he turned in a disappointing performance -- too many cute "thread the needle" passes that always seem to result in a turnover.
3. Too many Bruin hits that did not separate the Hurricane from the puck.
4. Playing the puck along the boards seems like a great way to run down the clock but we never use that strategy on the PK. It's only used when we're trying to score or trying to clear the puck from our zone. Claude, do you have any comment on that?
5. Plenty of times the officials tonight could have been called for obstruction.
6. Can't the NHL keep their pucks frozen? So much bouncing, poor PJ never had a chance.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 11:04 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by usual suspects View Post
If a player like Avery brings this team a cup then yes I want someone like that on this team.
Yes, Avery is bringing the Rangers a cup right now as we speak.

Old
05-08-2009, 11:16 PM
Mount KilimanChara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
I don't expect Axe to score. It would be nice, but the guy is just cursed in that sense. CURSED. If he had an open net, invisible bats from the bowels of hockey hell would knock the puck out of the air like some horror movie. He'd have a better chance of scoring if he flipped the puck into his mouth and slid into the goalie head first.

Just have no idea why the **** we're talkin about Axelsson.
Thanks for making me laugh, Neels, and I should point out that you're on fire recently.

Axe is cursed regarding scoring. CURSED (QFT). Sucks, but there it is, and we all know it. I just don't see the point in ragging on him for one play when he's been one of our better players.

I will say, though, what I said last year- if Axe DOES score a playoff goal it would be a huge boost to the team. If he DOES score on that PK the Bruins more than likely win the game. That's for you, Colt, because in that sense you're right. But, it is rather impossible to then say that the Bruins couldn't have won the game without that goal from Axe. They could have, but collectively they didn't put in the effort. Again. That's three games running, and effort wise Axelsson is at the head of the pack for the Bruins this playoffs, not at the back.

Mount KilimanChara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 11:18 PM
wandk128

Quote:
Originally Posted by usual suspects View Post
That moment should be the end of Axe in Boston. I don't want him back I don't care if it is for the league minimum. It's one of the biggest games of the year and you are more concerned with the opposing teams player? Shows you where his head is at if he is more aware of Wallin being hurt then his is about the play and urgency of his team needing to win this game etc....
As big of a game as this was....it is still just a game.

wandk128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 11:21 PM
wandk128

And how many players in the league make 1/2 the defensive plays he makes. I thought on the breakaway it was pretty clear he was trying to slide it back 5 hole.

wandk128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
Nope... I knew 100% that he was not going too. I even told the wife as I had time from considering he had a clean break from our blue-line in.

Think how HUGE that goal would have been... a shorty would have killed the building and blown up our bench.

Seriously though, I knew we couldn't rely on him in the clutch... and yet we are *****ing about what a bad playoff team we have when all that matters is clutch players?
Colt, I thougt of you on the breakaway and felt the pain. Bottom line is we have a guy who has been a good Bruin for years and its his final year. Most guys dont even make the play at the blue line to get the chance at the breakaway. I wish he just wristed a shot, but he took his shot. He has been one of the best Bruins this playoffs, lets not scapegoat.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Colt, I thougt of you on the breakaway and felt the pain. Bottom line is we have a guy who has been a good Bruin for years and its his final year. Most guys dont even make the play at the blue line to get the chance at the breakaway. I wish he just wristed a shot, but he took his shot. He has been one of the best Bruins this playoffs, lets not scapegoat.
I hear ya ---for the last time though, I'm not scapegoating (at least, not intentionally). I'm not blaming the loss on him because he missed a breakaway... I'm just saying that it was SO pj.

Think how huge it would have been for the young Bruins on the bench to see PJ score a shorty to kill the crowd and give us the lead!!

I see it as black-and-white:
The fact is that the teams that move on to the next round are the teams that have guys step up and score in the clutch.

Carolina has had this in spades... Boston has not.

Sure Wheeler, Kessel and Krejci have been a "clutch-scorer" disappointment in the 2nd round... PJ has been a disappointment for 11 years.

I'm just DONE with him.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 11:36 PM
deliciouspie
the best post

Send a message via Yahoo to deliciouspie
personally i think the fact that nobody on the bruins has any felony convictions for violent crimes is really the downfall of the team; internet poster usual suspects seems to agree

question: is rae carruth out of prison yet, and if so, can he skate

deliciouspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
I hear ya ---for the last time though, I'm not scapegoating (at least, not intentionally). I'm not blaming the loss on him because he missed a breakaway... I'm just saying that it was SO pj.

Think how huge it would have been for the young Bruins on the bench to see PJ score a shorty to kill the crowd and give us the lead!!

I see it as black-and-white:
The fact is that the teams that move on to the next round are the teams that have guys step up and score in the clutch.

Carolina has had this in spades... Boston has not.

Sure Wheeler, Kessel and Krejci have been a "clutch-scorer" disappointment in the 2nd round... PJ has been a disappointment for 11 years.

I'm just DONE with him.
In short--I somewhat agree but am too drunk to expand on that.

In long--He has been a good bruin and shouldnt be bashed.. not going to expand ont that.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Ruzicka38
Oh man

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe11sson View Post
Axelsson is a top 3 forward for the Bruins this series. Playing on the fourth line, to the team's detriment, while Looch is the pacifist he always is when on the 1st line, again to the team's detriment. I feel you, Colt, but pick another scapegoat this time around- Axe has had an excellent playoffs this year. Team is outcoached, outworked, and outplayed right now.
I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. I can't stand anymore of Axellson's offensive incompetence either. I yell at him more than any player in years. Every time he touches the puck you know it's hitting the goalies in the pads or the chest. As I said in another thread. He has worse hands than Shawn Thornton and gets time on the first line. It's a disgrace. Lucic, Bitz, and Savard have all been better.

Ruzicka38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 07:23 AM
ODAAT

Kessel, Krejci, Wheeler, Kobasew, Bergeron, Savvy, Ryder, Lucic, Recci= 9 players that other than a flash here or there have been invisible and looking terribly outmatched. Only 1 of the above has a wealth of post season experience in Recci, it`s easy for many of us to forget, because of their accomplishments in the regular season, that many in the group above are a) very young b) very inexperienced and c) seeing this level of hockey for the first time

I have no problem with Ax, he has been consistently given a role by various coaches being placed on the PP etc which is puzzling as I am sure he doesn`t view himself as an offensive threat. To be honest, the players willing to engage most consistently in this series amongst the forwards(and this is a small group) IMO has been Ax/Yelle, and if those are the 2 guys willing to engage in any forcheck, this team is in trouble, but that is what has happened.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 07:33 AM
DarrenBanks56

poor axelsson. if he could only finish his chances he's be a 30 goal scorer.
I would like to see him scratched though for game 5. we need the bitz thornton yelle combo for a 4th line. We also have to juggle the lines a bit. maybe switch wheeler with lucic.

boy- do we miss hunwick by the way. our breakouts are pathetic to watch.

i cant believe samsonov is playing like this. the guy has been invisible since his rookie year.

DarrenBanks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 07:51 AM
doakacola*

Quote:
About Axe not scoring? Yep, welcome to last year's playoffs where I said the same thing. About Sobotka instead of Yelle or Axe? No. You can print 100% as often as you like, but the fact is that it isn't Axe's job to score and when it comes to wondering where the scoring has gone, Axe surely shouldn't be the first place to find fault.

You want 100%? Check the Bruins record in the playoffs this year with Axe riding Savvy's wing. And if you're really that upset about the Wallin thing, well, I'm not sure what to say to you. You want to bash on Axe for who he is, try bashing on Lucic for trying to be who he isn't- a first line winger with the skills to curl and pass every time he gains the blue line. He didn't drive to the net ALL game.

Like Axe, Lucic is a below average 1st line player who relies on setting the tone of a game to get his linemates going. The difference is, Axe has been far more effective at it than Lucic has, as evidenced by the disappearance of Marc Savard and Phil Kessel. Of course, defensive positioning isn't as sexy as a big hit, but I haven't seen nary a one of those from Lucic on the first line. So Looch scored a goal, and Axe didn't. The Bruins are down 3-1. I don't care if Axe never scores another NHL goal- if he turns Savard back into the offensive threat he was in the Habs series, the Bruins would be better off for it.
Sorry Axe I can't buy this. You are usually spot on, but Lucic has been the only B's player who has been able to consistently control the puck down low in the Carolina end. Not one B's player has been able to do this even remotley close to Lucic. Has he been perfect? Of course not!!

The Chara penalty was really a function of Lucic being unable to control the puck with Staal behind him. however he has been the B's best LW in the series. His goal in g3, his move in OT where Ward stuffed him and his ability to control the puck down deep make him w/o a doubt the best LW for the B's in this series. I seriously take issue with you on Lucic. The team is far too top heavy in Kessel like forwards in the top 9. PC is going to be forced to trade at least one of if not 2 of Savard, Begeron, Wheeler, Kessel & Krejci to get a more balanced team. Its obvious they need another transition Dman and another more rugged winger/center with a decent skill level.

Last edited by doakacola*: 05-09-2009 at 07:58 AM.
doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandk128 View Post
As big of a game as this was....it is still just a game.
I think you've wandered into the wrong website by mistake. You might like this one instead.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 09:19 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzicka38 View Post
I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. I can't stand anymore of Axellson's offensive incompetence either. I yell at him more than any player in years. Every time he touches the puck you know it's hitting the goalies in the pads or the chest. As I said in another thread. He has worse hands than Shawn Thornton and gets time on the first line. It's a disgrace. Lucic, Bitz, and Savard have all been better.
Because his linemates never skate in with him on the breakaway? I can't argue that Axie has the hands of a scorer. But he's got good vision and he's got some hockey smarts. If he had a trailer on that breakaway I see the goal light going on for sure.

2 on 1 >>> 1 on 1

Old
05-09-2009, 09:32 AM
b_bruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Axe is a 4th line checker always has been and always will be. I can't say I am not surprised that he didn't score.

Kessel on the other hand, he can take his 6 hits and 36 goals elsewhere.
I hope Chiarelli moves him. He has been awful.
Is Kessel playing?? he's getting punished out there....so weak on the puck....

b_bruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Axelsson is a top 3 forward for the Bruins this series. Playing on the fourth line, to the team's detriment, while Looch is the pacifist he always is when on the 1st line, again to the team's detriment. I feel you, Colt, but pick another scapegoat this time around- Axe has had an excellent playoffs this year. Team is outcoached, outworked, and outplayed right now.
8 games, 0 goals, 1 assist, -4.

No wonder we can't win. This is one of our forwards that has been excellent?

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 10:17 AM
The Depahted

Axe is the least of our troubles. NO ONE has stepped up their game so far this series, barring him. He has been rock solid defensively. He even hit someone, for Christ's sake. As Axe11sson suggested, the first line is better with him on it than Milan "I'm on the first line so I'm going to dangle instead of hitting people" Lucic. Looch has tried to be Wheeler on the top line this postseason... its not working.

Axe- Savard- Kessel
Lucic- Krejci- Ryder
Rex- Bergeron- Kobasew
Thornton- Yelle- Bitz

The Depahted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 10:24 AM
neelysbiggestfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
8 games, 0 goals, 1 assist, -4.

No wonder we can't win. This is one of our forwards that has been excellent?
Don't argue with the PJ apologists. IF you do - sit back and wait for the "You don't know Hockey" threads.

The guy is utterly useless unless we are on the PK.
He continues to get huge minutes and couldnt score if you gave him directions.

neelysbiggestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 10:26 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
**** it, I don't care... call me a "hater" all you want, but it is not my point. I'm not blaming the loss in this game on Axe --too many others to name (including POS officiating with the hooking calls).

That one play in the first sums up PJ for me... makes a very nice defensive play to strip the puck on the PK... very nice play! Then, with the HUGE MOMENTUM SHIFTING breakaway he lays an egg again.

Yes, Ward is a hot goalie right now... but that one play sums up PJ's career for me. Can't to ANY-Fing-THING in the clutch. It sums up his Bruins career to me... nice defensive plays followed by shots into the goalies crest etc. Sorry, but that was a horrible play on the line by Corvo and and most NHL PKers would have picked that off, but there are guys out there that could actually finish that play.

This SH breakaway was HUGE... Canes get all the momentum from the play, turn it up ice and score the opening goal. Instead of being up 1-0 we are down 1-0. Thanks PJ. Hope you enjoy life back in Sweden.

Maybe I'm just too pissed off right now to be reasonable, but that play IS PJ Axelsson to me. Why can't we get a 4th-liner with a little bit of clutch in him? 11 years of NO FINISH from PJ. WTF???? I'm looking at waiver-wire guys like J. Jokinen step up in the clutch... there are 4th liners all over the league who step up every year.

What does it hurt to try Sobotka (2 goals in 5 games) instead of Yelle or PJ who are potentially one game away from being done as a Bruin.
I'm more down on Thomas then PJ....the goal last night was pathetic in the first period...

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 10:47 AM
erfus

Everyone upset with PJ is really upset at Claude Julien. PJ is still a good PK, you don't have to be a SHG threat to do that job effectively. If he had scored, terrific, but it's not and never had been his thing. Used appropriately, he's a 10 minute a night guy (including SH time) that skates an occasional 4th line shift. The one thing that was obvious on that play is how much foot speed he has lost over the last 5 years. At one point, he was one of the faster guys on the team. That was a long ago far away land.

erfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 11:03 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
The point being lost in this IMO is the fact that in the play-offs, guys generally come out of nowhere to be heroes...exhibit "A" Jussi Jokinen. It's pretty obivous over the years, Axelsson is not going to be that kind of guy and he's been on the team forever, taking a spot that could have belonged to "that guy".

Yelle is a great guy too, as is Thornton, but I guess we know our fourth line guys just don't have that type of *skill* to get us extra, because it's generally the foot solidiers (Fernando Pisani) that are the difference in these series.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Neely08

I posted in this thread last night, read it, and deleted it. Because I fully realized I wrote it in genuine Bruins frustration.

At least Axe picked off a puck, caused a turn over and made something happen. Do any of you really expect Axe to score at this point? Are you serious? I admit, I had some hope, maybe just... maybe. At the least I thought the play may inspire someone who CAN score to follow his lead in a later shift. Nope, not a chance.

I can think of a lot of Bruins forwards who I DO expect a lot more from in the scoring department being invisible. Minus the the 2-0 shutout in Boston, and the last 4-5 minutes of game 4, these have been for the most part, 1 goal games. Where are they?

I'll tell you, when not buried in their end they're throwing the puck away the very second they're challenged physically. Well, unless it says Lucic on the back of their sweater. Not an ounce of determination to beat someone one on one; win a battle, make a play, skate ass off, draw a penalty, make a statement, ANYTHING. Forget challenging an opposing player, picking the puck off, and going on a breakaway.

I have to watch this series and have Sergie Samsonov envy? Ppppfft... And, a thread about PJ Axelsson has legs on HF?

Ok...

What ever, get rid of the guy.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
The point being lost in this IMO is the fact that in the play-offs, guys generally come out of nowhere to be heroes...exhibit "A" Jussi Jokinen. It's pretty obivous over the years, Axelsson is not going to be that kind of guy and he's been on the team forever, taking a spot that could have belonged to "that guy".
THANK_YOU.... THANK-YOU..... THANK-YOU!

I'm glad this point was not completely missed.

This is why I suggested trying Sobotka (2 goals in 5 games last year)....we have nothing to lose at this point.... sure, he might not be "that guy" either, but we sure as hell know --after 11 years of clutchless performances-- that Axe is 100% NOT that guy.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote