HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The New Rant Thread

Old
05-09-2009, 10:40 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
Lets step back a second. While I fight the "regular season team" thing, I recognize that the window for this team to win a cup is just now opening and things need to lineup just right for them. They are not a primary cup contender and that is to be expected.

They are still very young. Their best players are far from fully developed and to man have almost no playoff experience. I said before the season that they needed to win a round of playoffs to take the next step forward. Anything beyond that was gravy.

Most here agree with something similar to that. The team needs more experience for its best players and needs more experienced players in critical spots in the lineup. Fedorov has been great, but is getting close to the end of the road. Maybe one more season. Maybe he retires. They need at least a Fedorov level player on the defense. They also have a baby goalie. He is not going to go from Hershey to Roberto Luongo without a growth curve. last night was part of that.

So, DB, you are right this is not a cup contender. They are not meant to be yet.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 10:56 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

What txpd said, this is still an exceedingly young team at the core. They have equaled what I had hoped for this season, and yes, a 2-0 at the next level, if blown would suck, but it would also be part of the maturation process.

I still think they can pull this out, but I am also happy with the progress this season.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 11:05 AM
kicksavedave
yeahright

I'm convinced Green is injured, probably his shoulder from that injury in February, maybe never healed fully. His entire game is different from when he was playing well earlier on.

As for the rest of the team, they are not completely there yet, but not completely lacking the pieces either. Replacing Kozlov, Nyls, Fehr and Flash with players of similar skill but much more heart and grit, would be the final solutions. Even a minor step down in skill level, with a step up in mental toughness and desire, would be a major plus. As for Semin I don't know what's up with him, he blew it up vs the Rags, but disappeared vs the Pens... maybe he's nursing a sprained uterus also?

We may not be Cup favorites just yet, but we're not that far away either.

And really, like most every team in the playoffs, we'll only go as far as Varly takes us. So will Anaheim, Carolina, Vancouver, Detroit, etc. If Varly can steal one of the next two, this series is ours.

kicksavedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 11:35 AM
txpd

I would argue with your heart and grit comment. Fehr is not a soft player. It may be that he or Fleischmann are moved to give Bourque his chance, but fact is that neither Fehr nor Fleischmann are fully developed yet. Kozlov has really come to play. Driving to the net is not usually his thing, but he has been doing that regularly.

Nylander is Nylander. The team has plenty of grit. The return of Clark is key in that regard. The growth in this team is not with players like Kozlov being replaced by other players, its with the improvement in players like Ovechkin and Semin and Backstrom in the big games.

Old
05-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Based on their on-ice demeanor, they took losing Games 3 & 4 much too lightly and now the momentum is decidedly in the other direction. Tonight is their opportunity to get it back but they'll need to play a 60 minute game (and maybe more) for the first time this series.

At some point you hope to see them empty the barrels and leave it all on the ice but Game 7 against the NYR makes me question if they have it in them. They were eaten up by the stage but thanks to an old poised hand managed to win anyway. They'll need to show a lot more poise and focus in the coming games or else this series will slip out of their grasp.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 11:48 AM
amjay13

Geez people. The Caps are in round 2, and now have a best of 3 with home ice advantage to advance to the ECF where they would likely play a beatable Carolina team. I'd wait until the Caps are eliminated before making these claims.

amjay13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 11:50 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Jose would be a mistake tomorrow. Varly is it. Varly can't stand on his head every game. 3 games straight was to much to ask let alone a 4th. His teamates need to step things up and help him the **** out. If thats possible.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 12:04 PM
txpd

These are best of 7 game series. They lost one game and the meltdown starts. They win a couple games and they jump from a team expected to win a round and probably die to a team that should make the finals if they only cared enough to put the effort in.

Even keel, people. Avoid the highs and lows. Let it play out.

Old
05-09-2009, 12:27 PM
tim

If we lose this series, I'll bother reading beyond the thread title.

Last I checked, it's tied, and Caps have home advantage.

tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 12:37 PM
txpd

Its all gravy from here out. If the Caps win this series, it will be great. If they lose, they have stepped up from last season to the next level with two more levels to go.

These are the Penguins. Nobody in the Caps room wants to lose to them. Period.
IF they lose, it will be because they weren't good enough not because they didnt care enough

Old
05-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Penscup1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
Geez people. The Caps are in round 2, and now have a best of 3 with home ice advantage to advance to the ECF where they would likely play a beatable Carolina team. I'd wait until the Caps are eliminated before making these claims.
I would not bet on either one of those statements. Carolina is playing some fine hockey. Staal is playing unbelievable. The will be a formitable opponent for either the Pens or caps.

Penscup1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 01:28 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Leafs will take him. Let's say Jason Blake for Nylander

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 01:34 PM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
good team not ready yet.

when your number 1 center is 21 years old, your top scorer and best defenseman are 23 and your goalie has played 6 regular season games, you still have a huge window to develop.

we are Pittsburgh Jr. in my mind, i think next year we could be geared up for a long run.

i still think that the 2005 draft screwed us pretty hard. not picking in the top 10 (where they should have) and then essentially wasting the pick on Pokulok took away from us getting another solid roster player.

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

We aren't a playoff team?

Last time I checked we were in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlBum View Post
Leafs will take him. Let's say Jason Blake for Nylander
I'd do that. Blake makes less then Nylander, and is a 60 point scorer with speed.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 02:03 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Wow, on the Penguins board they are calling for Ovechkin to be suspended for the hit on Gonchar. Some posters want up to 5 games. Gimme a break. What a bunch of whiners. It was NOT intentional. Gonchar tried to avoid it, resulting in the injury.

I sure hope Ovechkin and the CAPS really give them something to cry about after tonight's game. Something along the lines of the crying penguins having to go back to Pittsburgh facing elimination.

GO GET EM GUYS!!!!!!!

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Monty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleCAPS View Post
good team not ready yet.

when your number 1 center is 21 years old, your top scorer and best defenseman are 23 and your goalie has played 6 regular season games, you still have a huge window to develop.

we are Pittsburgh Jr. in my mind, i think next year we could be geared up for a long run.

i still think that the 2005 draft screwed us pretty hard. not picking in the top 10 (where they should have) and then essentially wasting the pick on Pokulok took away from us getting another solid roster player.
At the risk of getting flamed on, I don't understand this continued excuse regarding the Caps' so-so performance in the playoffs being blamed on their youth and lack of experience. From what I see, there is not a substantial difference in age and experience between the Caps and the Pens. Now THIS PLAYOFFS the common counterargument to this is that despite their youth for a number of their key players the Pens have a lot more experience than the Caps because they went to the SCF last season.

But in to eliminate that counterargument, let's compare this Caps playoff team to last season's Pens playoff team. A number of the Pens key players last season were like the Caps this season very young and very inexperienced in terms of Stanley Cup playoff experience - having played only one quick, unsuccessful first round against Ottawa in the 2007 SC playoffs.

I also don't see much difference in age between the Caps key players and the Pens. The Caps top center is young; the Pens top two centers are equally young. The Caps key players (AO, Green, Backstrom and Semin) are on average no younger than the Pens key players (Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Fluery). In goal the Caps only have a very young goalie in net because their 32 year old, very experienced goalie imploded in Game 1. If BB never makes the goalie switch - assuming the Caps are even still in the playoffs but probably a worse team as a result - the argument that the Caps are relying on a young inexperienced goalie goes out the window. Finally, the Caps have just as many quality veterans (Fedorov, Kozlov, Poti, Pothier, Clark, etc.) as the Pens (Gonchar, Gill, Satan/Sykora, Guerin/Roberts (last year's team). I just can't quite accept their-too-young and inexperienced-still team when the team they are playing showed - in last year's playoffs, no less never mind this year - that youth and inexperience is only an excuse when you're looking for an excuse.

Most of all, while polished, seasoned play could be a reasonable excuse for the Caps (and a reasonable excuse for the Pens too although they don't need any excuses once again this playoff season), what I would expect from a young but talented team is intense and energetic play. The sort of boundless energy, rah-rah play that college teams demonstrate in various sports. Some of the Caps players suggest that they would skate through a brick wall for Bruce, but it isn't apparent in their play of mostly limited intensity. The Pens embody that energetic, always intense play - this playoffs and last; the Caps don't, except on occasion for a period or two.

Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 03:03 PM
TransatlanticIce

Let's set the record straight: The Washington Capitals are in the Eastern Conference Semifinals.

To me, it does not seem like we play a game that is fast, aggressive, simple, and coordinated as a team, like the Penguins. We ought to match them in that respect in order to win more.

TransatlanticIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 03:11 PM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
Kozlov imo isn't a game changer. neither is Poti, neither is Pothier.

I don't think that the Caps depth is quite as good as the Pens depth but that's just me.

I'm still proud of what this team has accomplished so far and this is now a best of 3 series.

far from over.

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 04:04 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDC-RES View Post
Don't start this. If people feel a connection to the team and say "we" then what harm does it do to you? Let people cheer for their team in their own way. Not everything has to be the way "you" would do it.

PKV Jungle Friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 04:20 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

There's just a few guys that need to get their guts checked or get replaced. Just a few.

I wanted to go off on Semin in game 4 of the Rags series. Cause he avoided checks Gonchar style especially on the PP while gaining the zone. But I withheld.

I'm not sold on them. They haven't shown the consistent hustle to the puck, want to for blocking shots, wherewithalll to not retaliate, and consistent drive to the net. Green's goal, though scored by Clark going to the net, just emphasizes to these guys that they can do the lazy, cute plays and be successful at times.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 04:57 PM
WcRoenick97

The OP is a clown. He said we weren't strong enough for the playoffs in the first round when we were down to the Rangers. He is most likely a troll and is trying to stir things up. Pay no attention to him and his worthless opinions.

WcRoenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 05:41 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
At the risk of getting flamed on, I don't understand this continued excuse regarding the Caps' so-so performance in the playoffs being blamed on their youth and lack of experience. From what I see, there is not a substantial difference in age and experience between the Caps and the Pens. Now THIS PLAYOFFS the common counterargument to this is that despite their youth for a number of their key players the Pens have a lot more experience than the Caps because they went to the SCF last season.

But in to eliminate that counterargument, let's compare this Caps playoff team to last season's Pens playoff team. A number of the Pens key players last season were like the Caps this season very young and very inexperienced in terms of Stanley Cup playoff experience - having played only one quick, unsuccessful first round against Ottawa in the 2007 SC playoffs.

I also don't see much difference in age between the Caps key players and the Pens. The Caps top center is young; the Pens top two centers are equally young. The Caps key players (AO, Green, Backstrom and Semin) are on average no younger than the Pens key players (Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Fluery). In goal the Caps only have a very young goalie in net because their 32 year old, very experienced goalie imploded in Game 1. If BB never makes the goalie switch - assuming the Caps are even still in the playoffs but probably a worse team as a result - the argument that the Caps are relying on a young inexperienced goalie goes out the window. Finally, the Caps have just as many quality veterans (Fedorov, Kozlov, Poti, Pothier, Clark, etc.) as the Pens (Gonchar, Gill, Satan/Sykora, Guerin/Roberts (last year's team). I just can't quite accept their-too-young and inexperienced-still team when the team they are playing showed - in last year's playoffs, no less never mind this year - that youth and inexperience is only an excuse when you're looking for an excuse.

Most of all, while polished, seasoned play could be a reasonable excuse for the Caps (and a reasonable excuse for the Pens too although they don't need any excuses once again this playoff season), what I would expect from a young but talented team is intense and energetic play. The sort of boundless energy, rah-rah play that college teams demonstrate in various sports. Some of the Caps players suggest that they would skate through a brick wall for Bruce, but it isn't apparent in their play of mostly limited intensity. The Pens embody that energetic, always intense play - this playoffs and last; the Caps don't, except on occasion for a period or two.
Here is where your mistake is.

1. The Penguins playoff developement is a full year ahead of the Capitals. This becomes a problem for the Caps in part because they have to beat the Penguins to continue. For instance. The Pens have won this the 2nd round of the playoffs before. The Caps are in the 2nd round for the first time.

2. The Penguins have top 5 picks going back how many drafts? The Caps have exactly two in their lineup with the 3rd still in the system.

3. With all of this the series is tied. You act as if they had already lost. Pittsburgh needs to win two more games. The Capitals are 5-0-1 in playoff elimination games.

Old
05-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDC-RES View Post
Don't start this. If people feel a connection to the team and say "we" then what harm does it do to you? Let people cheer for their team in their own way. Not everything has to be the way "you" would do it.
Um, it's not something with room for opinion? It's a simple factual inaccuracy. Unless the thread-starter is under contract to the Washington Capitals....

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 06:15 PM
EHCler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleCAPS View Post
good team not ready yet.

100% agree

We have 2 players in our team who including this season have played more than 50 playoff games, Poti and Federov.
The team needs to grow all good teams needed years to develop into good playoff teams. We are still in the playoffs but we are on the right track.

EHCler is offline   Reply With Quote