Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Second time he gets Gonchar injured.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

vCash: 500
I just watched the YT about two dozen times, and OV does slide his shoulders [I]slightly[I] in the direction of Gonchar. But it is clear that he leads with his right knee. His right foot is significantly in front of his left, and he throws his knee even further out as he's making contact with Gonchar. Having seen it so many times, I have a hard time believing he didn't know he was leading with his knee.

My conclusion: dirty play, and not the first time, either. He reminds me of the kids I used to see playing at the pee wee level who played dirty, but had so much skill they didn't need to be. All you could do was shake your head and ask why?

Ference the Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 08:08 PM
DFENS44

Ovechkin MEANT to hit him, Gonchar tried avoiding the hit, but did not avoid the pain. Ovechkin's style is right on the edge of out of control.

Anyone remember when Chara sent him tumbling into the boards in the regular season? While it was a penalty, the potential injury from it would have been on Ovechkin because he plays full tilt. You have to admire the passion, but the results can be dubious at best.

In soccer they call it a "dangerous play", or they did. In the NHL, it's called hockey.

DFENS44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 08:43 PM
FutureConsiderations

Not clean. I like Ovechkin, but where's his head right there? He planted all his weight on his right foot and held it there - just like he knew what he was doing.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFENS44 View Post
Ovechkin MEANT to hit him, Gonchar tried avoiding the hit, but did not avoid the pain. Ovechkin's style is right on the edge of out of control.

Anyone remember when Chara sent him tumbling into the boards in the regular season? While it was a penalty, the potential injury from it would have been on Ovechkin because he plays full tilt. You have to admire the passion, but the results can be dubious at best.

In soccer they call it a "dangerous play", or they did. In the NHL, it's called dirty hockey.
Fixed that for you...

Ference the Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 09:16 PM
CamFan81
HF Snob Agitator

As much as i dislike the pens, That hit was not accidental IMO. Ovi's intensity is great for hockey, but that was uncalled for and I hope someone reminds him of that (on the ice)

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 10:29 PM
fjord

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytem2 View Post
It was about as clean as Samuelsson's hit on Neely. Gonchar is done for the playoffs.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=278120
Samuelsson's hit wasn't dirty.
Neely even admitted.

fjord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 12:09 AM
stick9

OV hits with a purpose. He singles players out and goes after then with the intent of absolutely crushing them. I believe he intended to hit Gonchar, but did not intend to hurt him.

He skates on the edge of recklessness more often then not and that's what makes him so exciting to watch. Big hits and highlight reel goals is what this guy is about. Take one away and he's not the same player.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote