HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What shoes to get for ball hockey on smooth concrete?

Old
05-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Madvillain27*

vCash: 500
What shoes to get for ball hockey on smooth concrete?

I'm playing in a ball hockey league and I am finding that the ADIDAS tennis shoes I wear have no grip on the smooth concrete surface (ice rink without ice). Any recommendations for shoes that grip well and maybe provide some protection for the toes? It would be great to hear from other people that play on the same surface. I am most concerned with the grip factor, as I am tired of slipping all over the place on the smooth surface.

Thanks!

Mad

Madvillain27* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 01:47 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
I would guess basketball shoes, considering they're made to grip on smooth wood floors.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Saved*

Get Free Trainers

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 05:49 AM
Ragss

This is my first year playing ball hockey. Most of the guys use basketball shoes, but they still have slipping issues. I don't have a pair of running shoes or basketball shoes, so I just wore my ordinary Merrels which are cross trainers at best. They have a hard Vibram sole, so you'd figure I'd have slipping problems, but last game I forgot those and had to wear my Keens which are sort of sandal shoes and I was slipping like nobodies business. Now with a basis of comparison I can safely say the grip on my Merrells is significantly more than even basketball shoes offer. I'm 240 pounds and when I put my foot down to stop from a sprint there wasn't an inch of slipping.

Here are a pic of the shoes. I have no idea why they offer so much grip on slick concrete.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Madvillain27*

Thanks for the responses guys. I guess it makes sense that basketball shoes would be good. The Merrels are an interesting idea, however my concern with those would they would be bulkier and may slow me down a bit too much. Did you notice any difference in your quickness wearing the Merrels?

Old
05-10-2009, 10:08 PM
FelixPotvin

The hiking shoe recommendation above is a good one for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, hiking shoes do in fact have tons of grip. Secondly, hiking shoes will normally be a lot more durable than cross training shoes since hiking shoes are meant to be abused out doors.

I have a pair of Solomon hikers and they're fantastic. They breath well, they grip well and they're extremely comfortable. They'd be perfect for ball hockey.

FelixPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 10:14 AM
Saved*

Ok it's time I actually chime in here with my reasoning.

What you want is a Cross Trainer with a leather/full leather upper. You will want something that is going to offer you lateral support. I like to think of it as a proper cross trainer will allow you to go from point A to point B and then guess what? Go to C, D, and E. For your purpose, that's what you need.

If you're looking for a hiker that has good grip (as the poster above stated, he uses Merrel's)

While it may work for him, go with Helly Hansen. Helly Hansen has a material they created called Storm Grip. It is the type of outsole they would use on fishing boats in the Alaskan waters. Furthermore, anything built with Helly Tech has a lifetime warranty. They also make cross trainers, so you'll get the best of both worlds.

Last, but the best, is probably Nike Free Trainer 7.0. I use a pair for Floor Hockey and they're probably the best I've used. I've been selling footwear since I was 16 years old, get pretty good deals (pro deals through manufacturers etc) and these are what I use.

If you want something that is going to be extremely comfortable as well (As the 7.0's, while very comfortable, aren't good for wearing for say.. 4 or 5 hours at a time) try the Saucony Grid Endure. Probably one of the most comfortable shoes you'll ever wear if you can get it to fit. While it's technically a running shoe, the upper is more akin to a cross trainer, and you won't have to worry about any loss of lateral support and stability.

Old
05-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Saved*

It isn't all about grip. If the shoe doesn't offer the support that you'll need for ball hockey, all the grip in the world isn't going to help. The shoe will stop, but your foot wont. Your foot will want to keep going, and then it rolls. After that, you're off your foot for 2-4 weeks with a baseball size ankle. Get something that is made for the purpose you need it.

Old
05-11-2009, 01:30 PM
RangerRebel

I play ball hockey twice a week and I've always had a hard time finding shoes that meet all my needs. I bought these ones for this season... http://www.sportchek.ca/sportchek/do...&styleId=46864 and they rock. They're airy enough so my socks aren't drenched in sweat by the end of the game. The grip is awesome so I'm not falling all over the place. And, there's enough leather (especially on the toe) to give a fair amount of protection when getting hit with the ball/sticks. I've tried hiking shoes before because they offer more protection but I just found them too rigid to run in. I guess in the end it's all up to your personal preference and what feels better with the fit.

RangerRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Ragss

Hurakan is correct. The merrells I use don't have the proper lateral support. Sometimes when slowing down/stopping I could feel my foot push so hard against the side of the shoe it was hanging over the insole, but I've managed so far to not roll my ankle.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 02:46 PM
playbedar

Send a message via MSN to playbedar
I use tennis shoes

playbedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 03:39 PM
shotty

parkour/smearing shoes will work best.

you've got to find a shoe with a high rubber-to-carbon ratio. most shoes have more carbon than rubber (for durability), you need the opposite, and parkour shoes are built with grip/stick in mind.

Montrail FLOW is a great shoe, or 5.10 makes some pretty good parkour shoes as well.

shotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Madvillain27*

I ended up getting the new Nike Zoom SPARQ S9 trainers. The grip they provided was great and I was happy about that, but unfortunately so far im having a major problem with these shoes which is that the back of these shoes are cutting into my heels and causing them to bleed. Maybe I just have to get use to them? Nike sucks, I'm not sure I'll ever buy their shoes again.

Old
05-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Saved*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madvillain27 View Post
I ended up getting the new Nike Zoom SPARQ S9 trainers. The grip they provided was great and I was happy about that, but unfortunately so far im having a major problem with these shoes which is that the back of these shoes are cutting into my heels and causing them to bleed. Maybe I just have to get use to them? Nike sucks, I'm not sure I'll ever buy their shoes again.
Well, you could have bought a shoe designed specifically for what you are using it for, which is, ironically enough, the shoe I recommended. Why buy a cross/fitness trainer to go rock climbing when you could buy rock climbing shoes/shoes designed for that exact purpose.

Old
05-17-2009, 09:21 PM
Thefalkon

Quote:
I am starting to have the same problem where the back is a little torn up and my heels are starting the hurt from it. I'm thinking of wearing a higher sock or maybe just taping up the back of the sneaker.

Thefalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 02:35 PM
shotty

blisters are the by product of fit issues. it isnt necessarily a shoe design flaw or an indication of a lack of quality. shoe companies, specifically nike, spend millions and millions of dollars on "fit"... so dont be so quick to discard the brand, when it was probably you or the dude at the store that erred.

Old
05-20-2009, 03:33 AM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

I play ball hockey year round, and am currently using reebok trail running sneakers. They work great and are in very good shape after almost a year of using them.

Topshelf8188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Beerfish

Broomball shoes. If you are looking for traction these are a good bet.

http://www.broomball.com/listing.aspx?CID=2

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 12:46 PM
VanNistelrooy

I use soccer indoor shoes.

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

anybody use asics? specifically the volleyball ones

any good?

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 03:08 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotty View Post
blisters are the by product of fit issues. it isnt necessarily a shoe design flaw or an indication of a lack of quality. shoe companies, specifically nike, spend millions and millions of dollars on "fit"... so dont be so quick to discard the brand, when it was probably you or the dude at the store that erred.
People's feet have different shapes. Different brands use different foot forms, and all will fit differently. The length could be dead on and the shoe could still not fit. Yeah they research fit, but that fit cannot fit everybody. What they research is finding the fit that will allow the most support while fitting the widest range of people.

Some people just can't wear certain brands of shoes. Par to why you try them on and test the feel first.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 06:30 PM
shotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
People's feet have different shapes. Different brands use different foot forms, and all will fit differently. The length could be dead on and the shoe could still not fit. Yeah they research fit, but that fit cannot fit everybody. What they research is finding the fit that will allow the most support while fitting the widest range of people.

Some people just can't wear certain brands of shoes. Par to why you try them on and test the feel first.
most footwear manufacturers have different lasts (or foot forms, as you called it) to compliment different feet. in order to build these lasts, the footwear companies buy foot scans from pedorthists. these scans reflect every imaginable uniquity, and when they build a last (which is extremely expensive) they use up to one million of these categorized scans.
you're absolutely right when you say that not all shoes fit all people. however, my point was that one shouldn't write off a footwear company as "junk" or "bad fit" because a single model (of hundreds) gave that person a blister.

Old
05-02-2011, 01:27 AM
Ultimatestud

I wanted to bump this post up, as I just entered a Superleagues ball hockey league in Alberta, and the shoes I wore tonight in our first game have left my toes in a shredded, emaciatingly scraped condition. That's one way to put it, anyway, and i would rather keep my feet comfortable while doing the laterals, backwards running, non-slip(on concrete) demands that this ballhockey game puts on us players.

My question, is out of all the new shoes on the market now, what would be my best choice to go for? I have a couple of ideas:

-Vibram Fivefingers KSO shoes have been recommended due to their lateral movement, agility, and speed. Haven't heard much about nonslip...i imagine that might be a drawback though.
Aslong as you can get over the fear of people stepping on your toes. I think i've only had one person step on my shoe during a hockey game, and the annoyance factor was minimal.
-RBk Zigzag technology. Are these shoes worth while to check out for my needs?
-Basketball shoes of any kind. I don't think i'll be going with these, as I don't mind people hacking my ankles and shins. I actually like being hit in the shins, actually. Shins calcify, and repair, grow back to become stronger. The most punishment you give them, the better protected you will be for next game. Kinda neat how the human body works.

Ultimatestud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:52 AM
MovesLikeJagr68

I'm also curious on what type of shoe is best for indoor ball hockey. I have been playing for 5 years now and have always had grip issues. Last season I used zig-tech's, which were terrible for slipping. I'm going out later today to get some new shoes, and am thinking basketball or trainers. Which shoe would be best for grip?

MovesLikeJagr68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:29 PM
UnitedBallHockey

I play in Superleagues Alberta as well. Started 5 years ago. I've played in div 1 provies a couple of times. This is an interesting subject and I'll chat about it..

A long time ago, a lot of players were playing in indoor soccer shoes. Intuitively, the low centre of gravity and comfort / grip feels good. However, they eventually ruin your knees playing on solid surface.

I then switched to running shoes. Asics to be exact. Great feel, cushioning is perfect, however i almost rolled my ankle a few times so i had to think about the lateral movement a bit at those fast griddy situations. Once running shoes are broken in, they feel much better but they are not meant for side to side support like court shoes or cross trainers are.

For whatever reason, i switched to tennis shoes due to the good lateral support, and with any new shoe you get some great cushioning at the beginning.. First pair was great but when the cushioning went flat i bought a second pair. My second pair was not the greatest choice (Babolat tennis shoe). I rolled my ankle so bad in the summer that i had a grapefruit on the side of my foot. Another player bought same ones and i heard a month later he rolled his ankle too. - - - Once you roll your ankle bad, you then take this topic into great consideration especially with an injury like this. It's easier to roll an ankle again once you rolled it bad - this is true.

I began playing with ankle brace support (ASO, best in the market) which i don't mind.

After seeing a few top players in the league last year, I now realize the new approach is examining basketball shoes. They have a low centre of gravity and high top style ankle support which can help me play without the brace (to ensure i don't roll ankle again). You can always add a good cushioning sole inside, and still feel like you're not too high and supported all around (knees etc). Although basketball shoes are known for the gripping to not be as good for ball hockey, i researched out and recommend this product that I just bought at footlocker ->

http://www.footlocker.com/promotion/...14/court-grip/

I bought Nike Max Finisher and i'm very happy with them so far (5 games in), I highly recommend them. I also would try the Nike Air Max 2 Strong. That would be my next shoe for sure.

UnitedBallHockey is offline   Reply With Quote