HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you take Garon to backup Price?

Old
05-07-2009, 01:09 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

vCash: 500
Would you take Garon to backup Price?

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...nder-price.php

Quote:
Garon ne cache pas son intérêt pour le Canadien dont il a été le deuxième choix en 1996.

«J'ai beaucoup appris avec Roland Melanson. Il m'a manqué quand j'ai quitté le Canadien. J'avais une excellente relation avec lui. Il savait comment venir me chercher. Je lui dois beaucoup.»
Quote:
Sans lancer de message, Garon aimerait bien revenir dans la grande famille du Tricolore.

«J'ai adoré ça, dit-il. J'ai toujours été bien traité. Je retournerais sans hésiter.»
Looks like Garon is interested in backing up Price. Trade Halak in a package deal?

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 01:17 AM
marc88

sure..he was a good backup..i still remember that game in LA where he completely stole the show with 45ish saves

marc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 01:44 AM
Miller Time

he could be an ideal guy to get to back up price (veteran presence, good enough to easily play 25-30 games and/or take over as #1 if Price has another meltdown)...

but it could also blow up badly in our face.

bringing in Garon would me trading Halak (and potentially watching him "vokoun" elswhere), and thus that Price is 100% the guy for the long-term (he is now, but with Halak still here, we do have a great insurance policy should Price's emotion prevent him from assuming the undisputed #1 role).

At that point, if Price falters AND the back up is Garon, a french canadian, the media/segments of the fans will be relentless in their pressure to give Garon the #1 role, perhaps to the point of "running price out of town"... leaving us without Price or Halak to rely on for the future.

maybe im thinking too much (or too little???), but Garon, wether or not he would want/be good at the "mentor" role, is almost "too good"(and too french) to be the kind of back-up that would help price come into his own.

that said, I'd still take the risk... though i'd make sure I could move Halak in a deal that strengthened the club (losing him for nothing would be beyond retarded).

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 02:17 AM
Teufelsdreck

Where did that come from? The Habs need bolstering at numerous positions and changing the backup goaltender would rank as one of their lowest priorities. Besides, Garon wouldn't even be one of the 10 best backups in the NHL.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 03:30 AM
Kriss E

I think there's much better goalies available out there.

Khabibulin, Conklin, Clemenson, Fernandez, Biron, Niitymaki, Legace..

I don't think Garon is really the best choice. Now it remains to be known who would accept the role of a back up.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 04:29 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Where did that come from? The Habs need bolstering at numerous positions and changing the backup goaltender would rank as one of their lowest priorities. Besides, Garon wouldn't even be one of the 10 best backups in the NHL.
For sure, I don't think goaltending is anywhere on Gainey's radar. Garon has been so up and down, I mean having the up Garon as a backup to Price might be nice if Halak could be part of a deal to get something we need somewhere else but personally I would rather go with the same goaltending next season.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 05:44 AM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Yeah sure, I was thinking more along the lines of Ty Conklin but w/e

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 06:09 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

He had one bad year last year but was excellent the year before, I think he'd be a good pickup as a backup goalie depending on the return we could get if we traded Halak.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 06:25 AM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

I find it odd that despite all the pressure, the obsessive and infringing nature of certain media figures, some players still want to come to Montreal. The two that spring to mind are now Garon and Denis Gauthier. While these two aren't exactly jaw-dropping all stars, maybe it shows that Montreal isn't as unattractive as we presume it to be.

badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 06:41 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Yeah, let's trade our best goalie from last season, not to mention (statistically) better goalie of the two over their careers.

Until one goalie or the other proves they deserve to be the #1 without question, it's a dumb move to trade either.

What happens if we trade Halak.. he becomes Hasek and Price becomes Ouellet? Not saying that's what will happen, I just think it's bad idea to move one or the other until one has stepped up above and beyond.

Halak also had a pretty decent showing at the World Championships this month. With the exception of the Canada game (first start in over 3-weeks/against best team in the Tournament), Halak posted a 1.85 GAA w/ .918 SV% while going 1-1 for a team that finished outside the Top-8.

Anyway, I'd much rather spend our money on some actual defenseman.

EDIT: fixed the GAA.

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 05-07-2009 at 08:13 AM.
One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 06:53 AM
Bacchus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1909 View Post
I find it odd that despite all the pressure, the obsessive and infringing nature of certain media figures, some players still want to come to Montreal. The two that spring to mind are now Garon and Denis Gauthier. While these two aren't exactly jaw-dropping all stars, maybe it shows that Montreal isn't as unattractive as we presume it to be.

When you are worried whether you will have a contract next season, you take where ever you can get one.

As you said, no Jaw-dropping Quebec talent wants to be here; it is all the marginal Quebec talent who realizes that they may get preferable treatment in this market simply because they have french last names.

Bacchus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 06:57 AM
Riverboat Gambler

-Only if Halak moves or requests to be moved. Not too many teams have two young goalies with upsdie gaining experience like we do. It'll pay off big time if we play our hand right.

-If he came cheep, he could be decent. I find him very inconsistent thus he'd fit right in.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Habitants

he is UFA so it would be pretty easy toi get him.

im not giving up on Halak yet. they need to split the goalies more next season, and then they can decide to trade halak later on like between january and trade deadline.

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Garon ne cache pas son intérêt pour le Canadien dont il a été le deuxième choix en 1996.

«J'ai beaucoup appris avec Roland Melanson. Il m'a manqué quand j'ai quitté le Canadien. J'avais une excellente relation avec lui. Il savait comment venir me chercher. Je lui dois beaucoup.»
Translation:

Garon doesn't hide his interest for the habs as he has been their second round pick in 1996.

"I learned a lot from Roland Melanson. I missed him when I left the habs. I had an excellent relation with him. He knew how to get me. I own him a lot".

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 08:25 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I think there's much better goalies available out there.

Khabibulin, Conklin, Clemenson, Fernandez, Biron, Niitymaki, Legace..

I don't think Garon is really the best choice. Now it remains to be known who would accept the role of a back up.
Don't forget Clemmenson who saved NJ,s season when Marty was out.

Anyway, I would trade Price to L.A. for Jack Johnson and Jonathan Bernier.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 08:38 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I wouldn't mind bringing back Garon, it's risky to trade Halak but clearly Gainey needs to make some changes and since the UFA market has not been kind to us over the years, that leaves trades and since most of our players struggled this year, I got to think their values are much lower making it very tough on Gainey to pull off moves imo. Halak might be one of the few trading chips who still has good value as a guess. It's risky though cause if Price can't get back on track, we are f'd in the a.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 08:57 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

With so many decent backup-ish kinds of goalies available as free agents, who is going to trade for Halak, then?

I think we should just forget about the goaltending thing. We've got good enough goaltending right now, and switching backups isn't going to affect that situation at all.

The only way it comes in is if Halak decides he wants out and demands a trade, but such things are pretty rare and it's basically sensationalistic to even speculate on that scenario at this point.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Travis Moen

I still remember his rookie season like it was yesterday and now we are talking about him like a veteran backup. How time flies!

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Puckhead58*

First of all.....we should have never gotten rid of Garon in the first place. He was always a better goalie than Theodore, except Garon was never given a chance to show what he can do.

Second of all....I would be more than happy to bring Garon back if he wants to come back and assume the backup role and guiding Price along in his development.....providing we can get a good deal for trading Halak.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Fozz

What's wrong with Halak?

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
What's wrong with Halak?

Halak is a starting goalie....thats whats wrong. He's not gonna want to sit on the bench and watch Price suck when he could be starting for any team in the league. Personally....I think Halak should be the #1 guy in Montreal until Price gets his act together....but everybody else would rather see Price play and lose than to give Halak and honest chance.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Halak is a starting goalie....thats whats wrong. He's not gonna want to sit on the bench and watch Price suck when he could be starting for any team in the league. Personally....I think Halak should be the #1 guy in Montreal until Price gets his act together....but everybody else would rather see Price play and lose than to give Halak and honest chance.
It's not wrong, it's an asset.

If Price goes down we would be stuck with Garon and Denis, LOL.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 10:20 AM
emb24*

he wants back in...too bad melancon won't be our goalie coach next fall

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 10:25 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Unless halak has some high value, I wouldn't get rid of him.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Firstimeandshy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Yeah he sure is proving it at the WHC...he sucks big time, couldn't stop a beach ball. He will probably be playing in the KHL next year. No great loss!

Last edited by Firstimeandshy*: 05-07-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Firstimeandshy* is offline   Reply With Quote