HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Ovechkin only get a slap on the wrist?

Old
05-09-2009, 01:39 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
Will Ovechkin only get a slap on the wrist?

So anyone who watched the Pens/Caps game tonight saw what Ovy did to Gonchar.

I watched the replay several times, I'm sure Ovy KNEW what he was doing. That is intent to injure and he didn't take a small target. Everybody remembers what the Pens looked like without Gonchar this season. He's as important, if not more, to the Pens than Crosby and Malkin.

I haven't heard news on whether Gonchar will be able to play again in the series or not, but whatever happens with him, the league should suspend Ovy for what he did, and at least till the end of this playoff series.

So will the league have its usual double-standard or will they suspend Ovy, if not for at least a game?

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 01:46 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
I fail to see a premeditated hit. At the very worse, ovechkin didn't retract his leg after gonchar dodged but I don't see him extending his leg or changing his stance. He went straight after gonchar, went for a shoulder check, missed and the rest is history. However, as I said, one could still argue ovechkin didn't back out at that point, but do you give a guy a suspension for carelessness? He'll go free and he should IMO.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 01:49 AM
Kebekoi

One thing to say :

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 02:04 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

I don't even care who wins this series, but guys, be a bit less biased by your fanboy love for Ovy. The Pens are all asking for a review by the league, its not like I'm inventing anything. Grow-up.

Old
05-09-2009, 02:07 AM
Tray4Adams

I believe OV in his explanation at the post-game. It does look like he was trying to crush him, then when Gonchar moved out of the way their knees connected.

Tray4Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 02:10 AM
Stradale

Well, i dont think Ovechkin put out his knee out to hit Gonchar. If Gonchar didnt dodged by moving his upper body on one side, it would have been a normal body to body hit.

Edit: I went on the main board to see what other, espescially pens fans, thought about the hit and they want a suspension for charging because apparently he left his feet.

First, from the youtube clip and from that angle, for me, i dont see his feet leaving the ice. If it did, well, its not a blantant charge. And one more thing, they say Ovechkin intentionnaly hit Gonchar knee on knee and then they say it was a charge because Ovechkin jumped and left his feet. So actually they are saying that Ovechkin jumped in the air to make a knee on knee hit on Gonchar? Seems illogical to me. When you jumped to hit a guy, you aim the guys head or upper body, not the damn knee.

Last edited by Stradale: 05-09-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 05:15 AM
euphrates

it was a knee on knee hit ovy stuck out his right knee and took a leap towards gonchar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEHgJrP9icI

euphrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 05:25 AM
JrHockeyFan

It didn't look like intent to injury to me. He maintained his leg position to trip the guy, but didn't stick out his knee or leg. Nothing suspendable there. Too bad Gonchar got injured

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 06:54 AM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
So anyone who watched the Pens/Caps game tonight saw what Ovy did to Gonchar.

I watched the replay several times, I'm sure Ovy KNEW what he was doing. That is intent to injure and he didn't take a small target. Everybody remembers what the Pens looked like without Gonchar this season. He's as important, if not more, to the Pens than Crosby and Malkin.

I haven't heard news on whether Gonchar will be able to play again in the series or not, but whatever happens with him, the league should suspend Ovy for what he did, and at least till the end of this playoff series.

So will the league have its usual double-standard or will they suspend Ovy, if not for at least a game?
answer in bold....if jarkko ruutu had done this knee shot to ovy (accidental or not) he would of been gone faster then you can type lol.

Last edited by shamrun: 05-09-2009 at 07:19 AM.
shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 07:20 AM
Stubbs88

no intent to injure, lead with the shoulder.

Stubbs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Firstimeandshy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphrates View Post
it was a knee on knee hit ovy stuck out his right knee and took a leap towards gonchar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEHgJrP9icI
LOL he didn't do anything wrong, he caught Gonchar with his leg, but he made NO motion to move his leg towards him. He was carving to the right with a wide open stance and was trying to hit him high. All this and i can't stand the guy !

Firstimeandshy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 08:03 AM
MTL-rules

He should be suspended, that was a clear knee on knee, it's not the first time in this series OV tries to hurt Gonchar.

I can't believe some posters who aren't Caps fans actually defend him... how would you react if he did that to Markov?

This will be the most difficult decision the league will have to make in the last 10 years or so.

It sucks since this series was amazing and now the lost of Gonchar and hopefully OV for a couple of games...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Habber

The TSN guys were talking about this last night, and their take was no suspension (I agree). The factor for the league is whether the player 'stayed in his tracks', or stuck out the knee. Ovy clearly stayed in his path, and did not stick out his knee, so no suspension. He was going straight ahead for a hit, and Gonchar moved out of the way. If Gonchar wouldn't have tried to dodge him, it would have been a clean hit.

It's definitely a penalty, and maybe could have been called for 5, but it was clear from the replays that there was no intent to injure.

Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 08:30 AM
flappuck

No suspension.
He never sticks out his knee and as far as him leaving the ice, they all give themselves a little push before hitting someone and since Gonchar moves out of the way, it's normal that his skates leave the ice by a huge 2 centimeters.

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 08:39 AM
Souvenirs

IMO, the contact was completely accidental. I didn't see any intent on Ovechkin's part.

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 08:50 AM
Thinkbig

Who cares about Gonchar? Ovy is the future, he can do whatever he wants!

Thinkbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 10:42 AM
la25ecoupe

IMO, Ovy just faked the shoulder, but was kinda going for the knee.. He's just playing innoncent..

It wasn't 100% shoulder only..

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 10:46 AM
NHLcrazy

It was purely accidental..but I admit I'm little biased.

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Ncrdrg

Send a message via AIM to Ncrdrg Send a message via MSN to Ncrdrg
You're talking about "biased love to Ovechkin" but you're just as bad with some obvious love for the pens.
Look, I really like Ovy. What bothers me most about him is that he tries to play way too much by himself far too often. Also plays too hard and risks injuries.
What happened yesterday was solely Gonchar's fault. Ovy went for the big hit, braced himself for it and Gonchar was hurt trying to avoid it. It's a high-speed sport and you can't alter your path fast enough for most of those ugly hits quite often. He never stuck out his knee and it was only Gonchar who was dancing to avoid the hit, resulting in Ovy hitting the knee instead of the body.

Ncrdrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 10:54 AM
VenomZeus

It looks like he was aiming for the knee to me...

VenomZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Pascal

Gonchar stepping away from a clean hit doesn't make it a dirty one.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Habs8517

Suspend Malkin too. Dirty guy slewfoot everyone when he is angry and goes for the head when he hit.

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Magic33

2 minute penalty is sufficient. It ended up being a trip, but you can see that he was lining him up and Gonchar moved. He didn't stick his knee out or anything. Why dont we stop calling for a suspension after every single incident. Its getting ridiculous. This is supposed to be a hard nosed game, and its turning into basketball.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncrdrg View Post
You're talking about "biased love to Ovechkin" but you're just as bad with some obvious love for the pens.
Look, I really like Ovy. What bothers me most about him is that he tries to play way too much by himself far too often. Also plays too hard and risks injuries.
What happened yesterday was solely Gonchar's fault. Ovy went for the big hit, braced himself for it and Gonchar was hurt trying to avoid it. It's a high-speed sport and you can't alter your path fast enough for most of those ugly hits quite often. He never stuck out his knee and it was only Gonchar who was dancing to avoid the hit, resulting in Ovy hitting the knee instead of the body.
I'm not biased, I hate the Pens. Like Shamrun said, if the exact same thing happened, but the perp was Jarko Ruutu, you can be sure as hell he'd be suspended. That's why I say it will be a double-standard as usual.

If Gonchar had time to react and pull his shoulders away, Ovy had time to react and pull his leg away, but he knew he was the one having the driving force so he kept it there, he kept his leg solid on the ground, as you can see that the impact didn't affect Ovy much, that meant he did hold it tight on the ice, or else, he would've tried and retract it and the impact wouldn't have been as big as his weight would not have been on his leg. He also had a lot of speed and Gonchar was already tilting to the side because he was turning the corner. If it wasn't intent, it sure was a knucklehead move. Players have been suspended for less than that.

Also, of all players, it's Gonchar. Pens could afford to lose one of Crosby or Malkin, but they can't afford to lose Gonchar. That's also why I find it very suspicious.

As for Ovechkin's comments at the end of the game, it's not like he's gonna say "yeah, my intent was to injure him"

Anyway, it's a matter of opinion, yet I'm sure a lot here are biased because of their love for Ovy.

Old
05-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Stefan

Send a message via MSN to Stefan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I'm not biased, I hate the Pens. Like Shamrun said, if the exact same thing happened, but the perp was Jarko Ruutu, you can be sure as hell he'd be suspended. That's why I say it will be a double-standard as usual.
Because if Ruutu does it, you know it's not an accident. When Ovechkin who has never done something like this before does it, it's far harder to say it wasn't accidental.

No suspension.

Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote