Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009 Memorial Cup

Old
05-09-2009, 11:30 PM
TrueGrit

vCash: 500
2009 Memorial Cup

Well, as always hear is our Memorial Cup thread for this year (thank god, we needed some new ones), and this year we will have the pleasure of watching Jamie Benn continue his playoff tear, hopefully

Let's Go Rockets!

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 12:20 AM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

The NHL Network does not appear to be showing the Memorial Cup tournament. Does anyone know if this will be on TV or must I scour the internet for a stream? Help a Benn fan watch one of my favorite prospects, please.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 12:44 AM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
The NHL Network will show the Memorial Cup, now not sure if it's every game or not.

Last edited by ________: 05-10-2009 at 12:51 AM.
________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:53 AM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
All games will be on NHL Network(US)/Sportsnet(Canada) and RDS(Canada)
May 15th Kelowna vs Rimouski 6 PM CST
May 16th Drumondville vs Windsor 3:30 PM
May 17th Rimouski vs Windsor 3:30 PM
May 18th Drumondville vs Kelowna 6 PM
May 19th Windsor vs Kelowna 6 PM
May 20th Rimouski vs Drumondville 6 PM
May 21st Tiebreaker game 6 PM
May 22nd Semi-Final 6 PM
May 24th Final 3:30 PM

#14 Kelowna is Jamie Benn

2009 Draft Eligible Players
#29 Drummondville Tigers D Dmitry Kulikov
#2 Kelowna Rockets D Colin Bowan
#6 Windsor Spitfires D Ryan Ellis
There’s more then just those three, but wasn’t going to list every player.
Edit: Check out the thread "Memorial Cup" in prospects page for the rest

2010 Draft Eligible Players
#4 Windsor Taylor Hall Center

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Alistar

I hope you guys all found a stream to watch Jamie Benn and the Kelowna Rockets play tonight, but if not I will provide comments on Benn's play

they just did the introductions of the teams, and Benn is huge compared to his team-mates (except for Tyler Meyers) and the opposition. I could really see him dominating this game physically.

also he's the only one on Kelowna that can grow even a half decent beard.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 06:34 PM
Alistar

On his first shift Benn found himself all alone in front of the net with the puck, but there wasn't enough time for him to do anything but shovel it a the net as the defenders closed on him quickly, and the Rimouski goaltender made a good save. Benn's line had a strong shift as they maintained possession of the puck in Rimouski's end the entire time they were on the ice.

On Benn's second shift there was a goalmouth scuffle and coincidental minor penalties were awarded, so Benn saw a bit of time playing 4 on 4. So far the game has been all Kelowna, the Rimouski goaltender has had to scramble for pucks on several occasions and there have been several shots that just missed the net from Kelowna. Rimouski does not have a shot yet, or any possession in Kelowna's end for that matter.

Television break #1

Old
05-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Alistar

GOAL KELOWNA!!

While still playing 4 on 4, it looked like Rimouski was going to gain possession of the puck in their corner until Benn just erased the Rimouski defender and got the puck back to the point. It was passed over to Tyler Myers and Myers scored from a screened point shot.

I would say it's been a very strong start for Jamie Benn.

Old
05-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Alistar

it's confirmed that Benn was awarded the secondary assist on Kelowna's first goal.

This guy just seems to have amazing positional sense - there was a developing 3 on 2 for Rimouski and Benn was there in front of the net to break up the pass that would create a scoring chance. Then in the other end he managed to keep the puck in at the point on a hard shoot around. Every time Benn and Colin Long are on the ice they are working to force turnovers and cycling the puck in the rimouski end. There's a definte contrast between Benn and the high flying Michael Backlund, but I would say that Benn's style of play is perfect for a depth role in the NHL and I could see him competing for a position next season

Old
05-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Alistar

Benn's line managed to force a turnover in their own end and had a 3 on 1 rush up the ice, with Benn taking the shot. The Rimouski goaltender made and excellent glove hand save to prevent Benn from getting his first goal of the tournament.

Rimouski had their first real pressure the shift after, and then Kelowna made it worse on themselves by taking a delay of game penalty for shooting the puck over the glass - Rimouski had a full 1:50 of 5 on 3 PP, but failed to get much going.

The game has started to even up a bit, but Kelowna's top two lines are still getting the better of their opposition.

Commercial break #2

Old
05-15-2009, 07:01 PM
Alistar

Well that's the end of the first. Pretty good period for Kelowna overall, but Rimouski managed to get more of the play towards the end. Benn assisted on the only goal (and I would argue made the key play in the sequence by taking out the rimouski defenceman and playing the puck back to the point) and was otherwise very positionally sound. So far I would have to say that Backlund has been the best player for Kelowna, he's had much more ice-time then any other player so far as I can tell and has created some good chances for himself.

Old
05-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Alistar

GOAL KELOWNA! JAMIE BENN PP GOAL

Kelowna worked the puck around for a good 40 seconds before Tyler Myers got a shot through from the point and the rebound went straight onto Jamie Benn's stick for an open net goal.

Benn spent all of his time down low or infront of the net, and was rewarded for his hard work with an easy goal

Lets see if he keeps it up.. still plenty of time left for another couple goals ;D

Old
05-15-2009, 07:28 PM
Alistar

GOAL KELOWNA (3-0)

Michael Backlund made an amazing saucer pass to spring his winger behind the Rimouski defense, and the guy made no mistake putting it top corner.

this is turning into a bit of a blowout, as Benn just made another power move to the net and almost put in his second goal..

Old
05-15-2009, 07:31 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
The short glass at this place is . Kelowna is on another PK because of it.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 07:36 PM
Alistar

Benn made a very nice play on the PK, intercepting and icing a pass between defenceman. If he had better balance he could have concievably had a shorthanded breakaway.

Just now he managed to draw a penalty as he was free skating down the center of the ice towards the rimouski goaltender and the defender had to hook him to prevent the scoring chance.

come on Benn PPG #2 coming up!

**glad to see I'm not the only one in the thread now

Old
05-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Alistar

Benn played pretty much the entire 2nd PP, as he was a constant presence in front of the net. Unfortunatly the Rockets were unable to work any good scoring chances, but they did manage to get a few shots through. Despite the scoreline the Rimouski goaltender is doing very well considering the job defense is doing in front of him (or rather not doing).

commercial break #5?

Old
05-15-2009, 07:46 PM
BigG44

Damn, RIM is getting their 2nd extended 5 on 3.

Old
05-15-2009, 07:50 PM
BigG44

RIM didn't even get 1 shot on the 5 on 3.

Old
05-15-2009, 07:52 PM
Caseman

Could someone provide an online link to this game for people like me who are too cheap to buy the NHL Network?

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Alistar

sorry guys, it looks like my parents had other plans for me tonight I'm going out to montana's (a pretty poor rib place, but I'm always in for free food).

Pretty much nothing has changed throughout the game and I would be very surprised if anything did in the 3rd. Kelowna is dominating, and Benn will in all probability end up with 3 or 4 points on the night in my opinion.

Dallas has a good one here

Old
05-15-2009, 08:40 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
Could someone provide an online link to this game for people like me who are too cheap to buy the NHL Network?
Sorry. I hadn't checked the thread in a while, and the game's almost over.

RIM just scored to make it 4-1. No shutout tonight for Kelowna.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/TML-1

Old
05-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Caseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Sorry. I hadn't checked the thread in a while, and the game's almost over.

RIM just scored to make it 4-1. No shutout tonight for Kelowna.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/TML-1
Thanks a bunch. I'll be on the ball next game.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 08:54 PM
BigG44

Kelowna wins 4-1.

Next game is Monday night.

Old
05-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Benn was a beast. He was good around the net and what was really nice to see is his back checking in the neutral zone. He made things difficult for Rim trying to get into Kelowna's zone. Benn was also happy to play the body. Kid is going to be exceptional.

I don't know that he'll make the club because we have so many guys on the left side but it won't be because he doesn't have the talent or drive. It's really just a matter of time till he cements a spot in Dallas.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 03:39 PM
BigG44

Today's Game: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/TML-1

Watch #29 for Drummondville. He's Dmitri Kulikov, and a defenseman the Stars could take 8th overall.

Old
05-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Captain Awesome

I just watched the game and Benn was great, that play started by Backlund was just totally awesome, doubt it would work in the NHL on both the pass and the shot but pretty sweet anyway.

You could tell, even on the shots he didn't score on that he knew exactly what he was doing with the puck, he uses his size well along the boards and he loves being around the net, not to mention he always seems to be in the right spot and made a few nice passes.

It's the first game I've seen him play since the WJC and the Traverse City tournament, but I have a feeling he plays like this all the time. My conclusion?

7.0c my ass.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote