HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

09/10 - Could this work?

Old
05-11-2009, 12:21 AM
pensown

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick87your71Poison View Post
I agree. Staal still has big value out there. He's a 20-year old center that plays well defensively, is good on the PK, and already has 2 20+ goal season. That is definitely more than we would have to pay if we were to trade for Booth. The bigger thing is that Florida just might not be willing to trade Booth, having nothign to do with the value.
True but I feel as though it will be difficult to trade for another good young player. I mean would TOR want to give up Schenn? How about LAK with Brown? Probably neither. So, who would you trade Staal for? Booth could easily demand more than 4million a year, Horton/Wolski is a toss up, and wouldn't you want to decrease your salary if you were to trade him? I just dont see the trade out there for Staal unless we could pry Schenn or Brown over to the Penguins. They both drop salary and add elements that we are currently weak at.

pensown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 12:38 AM
Pick87your71Poison

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensown View Post
True but I feel as though it will be difficult to trade for another good young player. I mean would TOR want to give up Schenn? How about LAK with Brown? Probably neither. So, who would you trade Staal for? Booth could easily demand more than 4million a year, Horton/Wolski is a toss up, and wouldn't you want to decrease your salary if you were to trade him? I just dont see the trade out there for Staal unless we could pry Schenn or Brown over to the Penguins. They both drop salary and add elements that we are currently weak at.
Well there is no way we are getting Brown considering he is their Captain and leader. He was just the Captian for Team USA in the World Championships. That being said, there are teams like Chicago that are deep at wing, but could use a 2nd line center, so there could be possibilities out there if we really did want to trade him (not that I am in that boat right now).

Pick87your71Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 12:40 AM
Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKV Jungle Friends View Post
Sullivan is a modern day Theo Fleury, but the reason he would be cheaper is because he's averaged something like 38 played per year over the last 5 seasons.

He's a great player if he could stay healthy, but he can't and he won't.

This guy makes Gaborik look like the Ironman by comparison of games played...
Is Theo Fleury ancient?

Sullivan looked good once returning this season. He has said his back feels great.

BTW, exaggerations do not make your point any stronger. If you are going to claim Sullivan will have an inability to stay healthy, I guess we might as well expect Zigomanis to miss most of next season. Is Mark Eaton going to miss fifty games as well? Why even acknowledge these players who will so obviously be injured do to a couple years of bad luck?

Sorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 12:41 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Cheechoo 3 - Sid 8.7 - Kunitz 3.725
Kennedy 0.725 - Geno 8.7 - Kovalev 3.5
Cooke 1.200 - Staal 4 - Caputi 0.850
Godard 0.750 - Talbot 1.050 - Biz/Jeffrey 0.500
Forwards 36.7

Gonchar 5 - Orpik 3.75
Letang 0.835 - Eaton 2
Goligoski 1 - Scuderi 2
Defense 14.585

Fleury 5
Curry 0.6
Goalies 5.6

Total 56.885

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 02:07 AM
Slorp Train

Do any of you truly feel the restraints of the cap world. If it goes down ,everyone thats an RFA's-value will also go down. Not to mention the cheap potential stock we have in the farm system. Somebody has to give them a shot before we can really know what they can bring. As far as offensive wingers we have Pesonnen, Caputi, Tangradi plus a few at every other position. Just retain a few of the high paid players, give the rookies an honest chance and if they perform you send the high paids elswhere for some picks and if not send the cheapies for some pucks. We are in a great position! Just use the people we have in there proper role. Lines 1 and 2 need a grinder,playmaker,scorer. line 3 needs to be shut down and the 4th needs to energy/checking. The same can almost be said for the mix of D=men we have/need.

Slorp Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 02:30 AM
Pick87your71Poison

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I like the defensive pairings you got there AgentM... there is consistency which is good. I think the Scuderi-Gogo pairing would probably be the most interesting (for an extended period of time). If you put Scuds w/ someone who has speed... he might look even better. He could feel more comfortable about pinching in the offensive zone or closing the gap early knowing Gogo could get to all the chip-ins that go behind them.

I also would like to see Lovejoy get about 30 games next year somewhere along the line because he really showed some promise up w/ the bigs. I love how he controls the corners, he's right handed, and I thought he had a great quick breakout pass. He's decisive and if he gains some speed in the offseason.. he could be a nice cheap asset to have.
I agree. All 3 of those pairings have one guy that we can count on to focus on defensive positioning and will make sure to stay back and do their job, while the other guy is strong with the puck and can skate the puck out of the zone and spark offensive chances. We will never be in a situation on the ice where we don't have a smooth guy to carry the puck out of the zone like we do now with Scuderi-Gill.

Pick87your71Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 07:00 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrakaLangKovy View Post
In your ????? slot Kennedy could play there and Caputi could play on the 3rd line with Staal and Cooke.

But the onle problem I have with that team is it is SOFF. Especially the top 6.
True, Therrien would be very upset with me as the GM hahaha

What about trading a draft pick and/or prospect for Alex Ponikarovsky from Toronto? He's a big guy with pretty good hands.

And while he's a small guy I'd love to see us bring in Brian Gionta. He's a right handed shot, really good on the forecheck, clutch in the playoffs, and would be taking talent away from a division rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I like the defensive pairings you got there AgentM... there is consistency which is good. I think the Scuderi-Gogo pairing would probably be the most interesting (for an extended period of time). If you put Scuds w/ someone who has speed... he might look even better. He could feel more comfortable about pinching in the offensive zone or closing the gap early knowing Gogo could get to all the chip-ins that go behind them.

I also would like to see Lovejoy get about 30 games next year somewhere along the line because he really showed some promise up w/ the bigs. I love how he controls the corners, he's right handed, and I thought he had a great quick breakout pass. He's decisive and if he gains some speed in the offseason.. he could be a nice cheap asset to have.
I think that a Scuderi-Gogo pairing could be our own poor man's version of Gonchar-Orpik. A nice blend of stay at home defense and puck moving blue liner. Also it would give Gogo a veteran to learn from and be a calming influence when things aren't going well. I just hope Goligoski gets some more gym time to add some muscle for an 82 game season!

I can definitely see Lovejoy getting a lot of playing time and he could be a starter in our top 6 next season if Scuderi moves on, although I'd expect Shero to sign another veteran as insurance.

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 07:45 AM
tocchet92

"Off Day Notes: Scuderi performance on Ovechkin driving his UFA price up

Blog: The Confluence By Tony F

05/10/09 at 06:35 PM ET | Comments (6)

- It wasnít but a few years ago that Rob Scuderi, often paired with the one and only Joe Melichar, was being unmercifully blasted by the Pittsburgh press and fans. How quickly things change. Hopefully Iím getting way ahead of myself, because the Pens hopefully have much more hockey left to play, but UFA-to-be Scuderiís fabulous defensive performance against Alex Ovechkin is quietly driving his asking price up quite a bit. Ovechkin has seven goals so far in the five games of this series. Scuderi has actually been on the ice for four of those goals, but Ovechkin has not scored when Scuderi has actually been defending him. The Pens will have 10 UFAís when this season ends, including 3 on defense, but Scuderi is quickly becoming the primary target for GM Ray Shero."
http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/weblog/P10/

tocchet92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 08:07 AM
pucks1

Quote:
Originally Posted by There's only one 66 View Post
After the last couple of games euphoria might be getting the better of me, but as some here will know I am otherwise a perma-bear on cap-issues and thus grap for positives anywhere I can.

With Talbot on the second line, this has been energized and solidified because of his pace, hustle and backchecking. Feds might well need a raise, but assuming we give him, say, 2.5 - could we just leave that line as is and wait for the prospects to come through/show themselves worthy (Pesonen/Caputi/Tangradi)?
Add Zigomanis (.8), add a fourth line grinder or Jeffrey (.5), and deal Dupuis somewhere. Sign Gogo (1.0) and Lovejoy (.8).

Kunitz Crosby XXXX
Feds Malkin Talbot
Cooke Staal Kennedy
Grinder Zigo Godard

Sarge Orpik
Letang Eaton
Gogo XXXX
Lovejoy

Fleury
Curry

This is 51 million outright. There's likely just about room to offer Scuderi 2 million and spend 3 million on another winger for Sid. Would be awesome to keep Scuds around considering how important he has become for us.
I know this is Ot but has anyone heard an update on Tangradi? I heard he could have had a career ending injury?

pucks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocchet22 View Post
I agree with the many comments about Scuderi and the difficulty we'll have in retaining him. He has been fantastic in the playoffs this year and is no doubt drawing interest around the league. He may be playing himself outta town...

I'm thinking Scuderi can get about $3.5 Mil on the open market this summer. That will make things tough on the Pens...

This time last year, no one would have expected Whitney to be gone now and it would have been quite unpopular to suggest he would. This time next season, its possible that one of Staal or Orpik may no longer be around... I hope not, but those are two big $$$ players that are very attractive to other teams. Gonch at his age an with his recent injuries will not be so attractive.
The difference between Whitney then and Staal/Orpik now is the fact we had guys ready to step in for Whitney (Letang, Goligoski) but we don't have anybody capable of taking Staal's place and we are in even worse shape when it comes to physical defensive defensemen. So, those two probably won't be going anywhere anytime soon. I think guys like Kunitz and Gonchar will get moved before Staal or Orpik.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Jeff Goldblum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucks1 View Post
I know this is Ot but has anyone heard an update on Tangradi? I heard he could have had a career ending injury?
They can rebuild him.

Jeff Goldblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 12:03 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris the Blade View Post
They can rebuild him.
We have the technology.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Jeff Goldblum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownExile View Post
We have the technology.

Jeff Goldblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 01:41 PM
wej20

Kunitz (3.75) Crosby(8.7) Cheechoo(3.0)
Ponikarovsky(2.105) Malkin(8.7) Caputi/CPZ(0.85)
Cooke (1.2) Staal(4.0) Kennedy(0.725)
Talbot(1.05) Zigomanis(0.8) Godard(0.75)

Gonchar(5.0) Orpik(3.75)
Eaton(2.0) Letang(0.835)
Gogo(1.4) Scuderi(1.9)

Fleury(5.0)
Curry(0.5)

Total Salary Cap Hit:56.015

Dupuis,Sneep,3rd 2010 for Cheechoo
Ponikarovsky for Tampa's 3rd and Our 4th/Velieux

if this is a bit tight then We could sign Fedex at 2.5 to take Cheechoo's place or if Scuderi is too rich for us then sign someone at 1.5 or go with Lovejoy at 0.8. Obviously Kennedy,Cooke and Talbot could go in the top 6 instead of the prospect. Kotalik at 3.0 could be another good option on Sid's right wing if he hits FA.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 01:48 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrakaLangKovy View Post
Crosby's FA wing - Guerin/Knuble
Malkin's FA wing - Fedo/Sammuelsson
All 4 of those guys wouldn't be my first choices by any stretch of the imagination.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Messing with '09/'10 Penguins lineups

Just messing around with some lineup possibilities while I wait for the game.

Don't take this too seriously, and don't freak out and flame me (or anyone else for that matter) for their input/opinions. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Now, to start off, I don't really buy this whole "Salary cap doomsday" that everyone seems to think is inevitable. Sure, it will level out eventually, but I think the league is getting the best TV ratings since before the lockout with rumors of ESPN being interested in the NHL again after it's VS deal is up. Ontop of that, attendance figures on average have been pretty strong around the league.

Assuming the cap increases, which I think it will, a 5% increase isn't entirely out of the question. That would bring the cap to $59.53mil.

Now, for the lineup:

Line 1: Kunitz (3.75) - Crosby (8.70) - Hossa/Gaborik (7.50)*
Line 1a: Caputi (.585) - Malkin (8.70) - Kotalik (4.00)
Line 3: Cooke (1.20) - Zigomanis (.700) - Kennedy (.600)
Line 4: Adams (.750) - Talbot (1.05) - Godard (.750)
Spare(s): Wallace (.500)

Total salary invested in forwards: $38.785mil

D-line 1: Orpik (3.75) - Gonchar (5.00)
D-line 2: Goligoski (1.00) - Eaton (2.00)
D-line 3: Letang (1.25) - Lovejoy (.750)

Total salary invested in defense: $13.75mil

Starter: Fleury (5.00)
Backup: Curry (.600)

Total salary invested in goalies: $5.600mil

Total salary: $58.135mil

* Hossa is my first choice because of a few factors. First, he clicked so well with Crosby the first time around. Secondly, he doesn't have the same issues as far as injuries go that Gaborik has become infamous for.
** Staal is part of a package deal at the draft that sends Staal and our 2nd to move up in order to pick Ryan Ellis.
*** Dupuis is traded as part of a salary cap move, most likely for a 4th or 5th rounder.

Analysis:

Line 1: A great combination of grit, playmaking ability and TONS of speed. Kunitz will create room for Crosby and Hossa with his physical play, and Crosby will thrive alongside Hossa again. Hossa is the ideal winger for Crosby. Say what you want about how last summer went down, but everyone will forgive and forget when Hossa is scoring 45 goals on Sid's wing with the benefit of an entire season together. Hossa brings a lethal shot, blazing speed, great stickhandling and a strong presence on defense as well.

Line 1a: A line comprised of big men. It has Malkin's speed and playmaking ability, Caputi's grit, determination and willingness to get into the dirty areas of the ice, and Kotalik's monster shot. Kotalik will be the finisher here, while Caputi brings his power forward style of play to mix with Malkin's game.

Line 3: I know everyone is going to freak out about the Staal deal, but at $4mil he just doesn't realistically fit into the team's plans, especially when we've had to deal with second and third rate wingers for our stars. Staal is great, and he'll only get better, but he needs an environment conducive to his development. That means not being buried on the third line with grinders, being asked to play a defensive style of play. If given a shot at a first or second line job at center, and some serious power play time, I think Staal would be just as good as all the other players everyone brings up (i.e. Toews, Backstrom, Kessel, etc), he just needs the opportunity, and he'll never get it here. I think Zigomanis can fill Staal's role in the defensive aspect and PK, as well as bringing a faceoff prowess that is better than Staal's ten-fold. If Staal and a pick can get us a shot at Ellis, I would do it in a heartbeat. Gonchar is getting older and more and more beat up as the time passes, and with a few years grooming his game, Ellis would add immensely to our depth at defense, and could eventually take over as the QB of the powerplay unit. As for Cooke and Kennedy, they would continue to play their respective styles of play and I'm sure the line wouldn't miss a beat.

Line 4: Basically just an energy, grit line that wouldn't be a liability as far as defensive play goes. In games where Godard isn't needed, Wallace takes his place and adds another element of speed to the group.

Overall, the top 6 is immeasurably more potent, and the bottom 6 basically remains the same as far as production and the roles they'll be asked to fill. There would be a serious threat to score every time lines 1 or 1a stepped onto the ice, and as good as Crosby and Malkin are, it's tough to say that now.

As for the defense, I tried to match up the pairings as intelligently as possible. I tried to throw a calming, defensively responsible player out with every offensive weapon we had from the back-end, and I think the pairings look pretty strong. We know what we're getting with Orpik and Gonchar. The Goligoski - Eaton pairing would allow Goligoski to do what he does best without fear of being caught out of position and having nobody to cover for him. Eaton is fast enough, has a good enough stick, and good enough of a shot blocker to be able to more than cover for Goligoski as he continues to grow into the big time and find his game. The Letang - Lovejoy pair is another mix of offensive and defensively responsible. Letang isn't as much of a worry in his own end as Goligoski, and I think he's growing more and more comfortable with his NHL game. Lovejoy has proven that he is ready and deserves a shot after a phenomenal season in the AHL, and I think he'll be an underrated player for the team.

On to the goalies. Fleury is the starter, that's a no brainer. I think he's capable of playing a good 60-65 games. Garon was less than spectacular while he was in Pittsburgh, so I don't think he will have earned himself a spot on the team next year. Curry has played very solid in the AHL this season, and looked pretty good in his time with the big club, as short as it may have been. I think he's a better alternative to Garon, not only because of his price tag but because of his ability on the ice as well.

Well, that's about it. I love doing this kinda stuff, so I apologize for the length of the post.

Hopefully you took the time to scan, if not read. It took me a bit to type it all out and stuff, so please don't just spam and flame the **** out of the post because that's just uncool.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 02:20 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

I would much rather go for Kovalchuk than Gaborik, if you're going to trade away Staal and try to win on pure barn-burning hockey. Gaborik's always a shift or two away from injuring himself.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Deadbolt401

Looks alright to me, but I'd rather trade Staal, and have an immediate return for him.

Also, Yanni needs to be on there somewhere. We could lock him up for say 10-12 mil a year?

Deadbolt401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownExile View Post
I would much rather go for Kovalchuk than Gaborik, if you're going to trade away Staal and try to win on pure barn-burning hockey. Gaborik's always a shift or two away from injuring himself.
I thought about Kovalchuk, but I don't know how well he and Crosby get along (it's been a couple years, but it was pretty heated).

I have heard reports that Gaborik's surgery's have been successful and that they should, in theory, have fixed the frequent injury problems he's been having. That puts him a rung below Hossa, but still neck-and-neck with Kovalchuk. Another reason I wouldn't really go after Kovalchuk is because we would need to use way too many assets to get him for a year before UFA. He's at $7.5mil now, and I'm sure he'd be looking for a raise. Needless to say, Kovalchuk is more of a possibility if he's a free agent this summer as opposed to next.

Old
05-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt401 View Post
Looks alright to me, but I'd rather trade Staal, and have an immediate return for him.

Also, Yanni needs to be on there somewhere. We could lock him up for say 10-12 mil a year?
Well, I think we would get more of a benefit out of waiting a couple years for Ellis to fully develop than if we traded Staal for someone whom he is likely to fetch via trade.

And Yanni is under contract as the new special teams coach. Yeo suddenly disappears somewhere off the coast of Greece on his vacation to the Mediterranean this summer...

Old
05-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Deadbolt401

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodILoveHockey View Post
Well, I think we would get more of a benefit out of waiting a couple years for Ellis to fully develop than if we traded Staal for someone whom he is likely to fetch via trade.

And Yanni is under contract as the new special teams coach. Yeo suddenly disappears somewhere off the coast of Greece on his vacation to the Mediterranean this summer...

Yep, and somehow, Bear Grylls is a 4th line center.

Old
05-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt401 View Post
Yep, and somehow, Bear Grylls is a 4th line center.
Talbot > Les Stroud >>>> Bear Grylls.

Old
05-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Deadbolt401

Quote:
Talbot > Les Stroud >>>> Bear Grylls.
Les stroud is legit, and he has a Gnarly ass Wolf tat on his arm.

Les takes Equipment Manager over.

Old
05-11-2009, 03:11 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
I thought about Kovalchuk, but I don't know how well he and Crosby get along (it's been a couple years, but it was pretty heated).
I seriously doubt that either Crosby or Kovalchuk wouldn't love to have each other as linemates.

TravisUlrich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
I seriously doubt that either Crosby or Kovalchuk wouldn't love to have each other as linemates.
I'm sure they would be professionals and be able to go to work, but I doubt they would be able to mesh well as linemates. The same could be said of Hossa too, I suppose. I don't know, I just think Hossa is the best option for Crosby, bar none.