HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Can a broken S17 be converted to two piece?

Old
05-12-2009, 10:49 PM
DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN

vCash: 500
Can a broken S17 be converted to two piece?

I have a couple of ones with bad blades. I was wondering if anyone has ever cut off the blade and put in a replacement.
Since the S17 is tapered towards the bottom, the only chance is putting the blade in the reveerse end. However that will leave me with a tapered handle. Does this alter the science of the S17's kickpoint?
looking for any info/stories anyone has on this...Thanks

DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 12:22 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

not unless you want to cut the stick in half

the s17, correct me if im wrong some one, is more than just tapered. ive felt one, its called an ellipse. it is more than a normal taper. it thins out and rounds toward teh bottom of the blade. you honestly would probably have to cut it nearly in half

and yes, if you put a blade in the other end, dont expect it to perform like an s17. it will completely throw off hte kick point, and the whole balance of the stick will be off

they dont even make an s17 two piece. the closest they make is probably the s15 which is not tapered but a focus flex. the s17 is a true ops and was made to perform as a ops, it is not meant to be a two piece set up

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 12:46 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Nope, you can't do it. And I imagine easton did that intentionally. Like the guy above me said, it's not just tapered, the hosel is an ellipse. And putting the blade in the reverse end of a stick is pretty much never a good idea. It will screw up the kickpoint something awful, and you will loose most of the things that make the stick as nice as it is.

Besides, I'm not even sure the main part of the shaft is at standard dimensions...

And you can turn a lot of tapered OPS into tapered shafts FYI, which are almost as good as most of those same tapered OPS. Easton Synergies are particularly great for that...

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 04:13 PM
stick9

I wonder if it's possible to cut above the ellipse and use a standard blade? I'd wait until it breaks to try that though.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 06:18 PM
shotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
I wonder if it's possible to cut above the ellipse and use a standard blade? I'd wait until it breaks to try that though.
oh c'mon.... just try it with a fresh one!

shotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 06:25 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
like i said before, you would probably have to cut about half the stick

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 09:20 PM
Dr Acula

Quote:
Not unless you want a 3 feet long, 350 flex stick.

Dr Acula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Escapades

A guy on my team did this. He actually just flipped the shaft around so that the tapered end was now where his hand would be (believe me, it was awkward as hell to hold) but he made it work, if you wanna give that a shot be my guest.

Escapades is offline   Reply With Quote