HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Montreal support another NHL franchise?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-11-2009, 03:18 PM
  #26
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,276
vCash: 50
Quebec city maybe only because previous fans with previous loyalties would return to liking them.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 03:29 PM
  #27
Markovskaya
Registered User
 
Markovskaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Quebec city maybe only because previous fans with previous loyalties would return to liking them.

Not only that, Québec city has the proper population too. Counting the south and north side of the river (Lévis and Québec), the region almost reach the million inhabitants. The reason Québec city lost the nordiques was because back then the city didnt have enough lucrative businesses to buy season tickets and Co. Now with insurance and high tech companies it's a done deal on the matter.

Markovskaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 03:33 PM
  #28
FrankMTL
Registered User
 
FrankMTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markovskaya View Post
Not only that, Québec city has the proper population too. Counting the south and north side of the river (Lévis and Québec), the region almost reach the million inhabitants. The reason Québec city lost the nordiques was because back then the city didnt have enough lucrative businesses to buy season tickets and Co. Now with insurance and high tech companies it's a done deal on the matter.

Where did you get those numbers...seems pretty high to me..

These numbers are from 2006 on wikipedia..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...reas_in_Canada

Quebec City (Lévis) Quebec CMA 715,515

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 03:33 PM
  #29
7th Player
Registered User
 
7th Player's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,959
vCash: 500
There's already riots when the Habs win a playoff series..

Imagine if it was a playoff series against lets say the LAVAL Chiefs (hypothetically speaking).

Imagine what would happen between the 2 teams' fanbase if the Habs lost in the 7th game in overtime... It would be WW3 between Laval & Montreal!

Not gonna happen but Sure would be fun though

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 03:39 PM
  #30
Markovskaya
Registered User
 
Markovskaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Where did you get those numbers...seems pretty high to me..

These numbers are from 2006 on wikipedia..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...reas_in_Canada

Quebec City (Lévis) Quebec CMA 715,515
From qikipedia:

The Quebec City Area had a population of 682,757 in the Canada 2001 Census.[1] The Quebec City Area had a population of 715,515 in the Canada 2006 Census.[2] The Quebec-Levis area had a population of 1,109,184 in 2006, although the Mauricie and the Centre-du-Québec administrative regions can arguably be included. When included, this area had a population of 1,592,312 as of 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_City_Area

Markovskaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 03:45 PM
  #31
Jakomyte
Registered User
 
Jakomyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,121
vCash: 500
I'd say no.

Besides, the hideous urban sprawl that is the GTA and beyond has much more potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSAF HABS AWISS View Post
Imagine what would happen between the 2 teams' fanbase if the Habs lost in the 7th game in overtime... It would be WW3 between Laval & Montreal!
Wait, I take back my logical answer... this sounds like too much fun!

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 03:58 PM
  #32
FrankMTL
Registered User
 
FrankMTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markovskaya View Post
From qikipedia:

The Quebec City Area had a population of 682,757 in the Canada 2001 Census.[1] The Quebec City Area had a population of 715,515 in the Canada 2006 Census.[2] The Quebec-Levis area had a population of 1,109,184 in 2006, although the Mauricie and the Centre-du-Québec administrative regions can arguably be included. When included, this area had a population of 1,592,312 as of 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_City_Area
Ya I'm confused now...why would they write Quebec City/ Levis with a population of 715,000 and then write Quebec City with Levis at 1,109,184...

I hate wikipedia!

Over 1 million for Quebec/ Levis sounds wrong though...

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 04:02 PM
  #33
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markovskaya View Post
From qikipedia:

The Quebec City Area had a population of 682,757 in the Canada 2001 Census.[1] The Quebec City Area had a population of 715,515 in the Canada 2006 Census.[2] The Quebec-Levis area had a population of 1,109,184 in 2006, although the Mauricie and the Centre-du-Québec administrative regions can arguably be included. When included, this area had a population of 1,592,312 as of 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_City_Area
I think including Mauricie and Centre-du-Québec is a stretch, its still 1h30+ to get to Quebec from most of the important population centers like Trois-Rivières, Shawinigan, Sherbrooke or Drummondville. The two regions shouldn't be included in greater Quebec or even greater Montreal (which isn't much farther than Quebec, its even closer to some areas).

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 04:09 PM
  #34
saskhab
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
no.

Montreal is a Habs city. Not a hockey city.

Besides, there's the Montreal Juniors and these guys arent exactly making people crazy...
Toronto draws peanuts for the Marlies and the St. Michael's Majors had to move to Mississauga (and still don't draw that well) but that doesn't mean they couldn't support the Toronto Metropolitans or whatever we want to call them.

Give Montreal a couple of decades and I could see a similar situation unfolding w/r/t the market... tickets are only now starting to be hard to attain for the Habs... if this keeps up for the next couple of decades then we could see a lot of people not ever having seen a live NHL game in their own city, like the situation is currently in the GTA.

saskhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 04:30 PM
  #35
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskhab View Post
Toronto draws peanuts for the Marlies and the St. Michael's Majors had to move to Mississauga (and still don't draw that well) but that doesn't mean they couldn't support the Toronto Metropolitans or whatever we want to call them.

Give Montreal a couple of decades and I could see a similar situation unfolding w/r/t the market... tickets are only now starting to be hard to attain for the Habs... if this keeps up for the next couple of decades then we could see a lot of people not ever having seen a live NHL game in their own city, like the situation is currently in the GTA.
That's a slippery slope and a fact already, a very nice rhetoric indeed

Believe it or not there's already A LOT (TONS) of people in Montreal who do not care about Hockey and have never seen a live NHL game in their own city.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 04:52 PM
  #36
lillypad33
Registered User
 
lillypad33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 321
vCash: 500
How about an english only team that is called the Canadians
and
a french only team that is called the Canadiens...

How's that for a rivalry?

lillypad33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 05:53 PM
  #37
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally
 
Galchenyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillypad33 View Post
How about an english only team that is called the Canadians
and
a french only team that is called the Canadiens...

How's that for a rivalry?
As if people don't already misspell it enough, don't add to the confusion.

Galchenyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 06:56 PM
  #38
emb24*
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,238
vCash: 500
i still believe if montreal brought back the maroons...a team with a huge history and began marketing as such - maybe put them in the central division in the western conference...you could even play them out of the bell Center...or an arena in the west island like dollard off the 20# it would work.

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 08:01 PM
  #39
kent_carlson
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 763
vCash: 500
Let's forget about the south of USA, about splitting the biggest markets in Canada, add a European Division and get a real TV deal in Euros.

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 08:05 PM
  #40
MoonlightGraham
Registered User
 
MoonlightGraham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,474
vCash: 500
No way. Montreal isn't big enough buisness-wise to support a second team. Plus, no Habs fan would cheer for the new team instead of the Canadiens. It would make a lot more sense to have a team in Quebec City than another team in the Montreal arena.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 10:55 PM
  #41
Go Habs Go
Registered User
 
Go Habs Go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
People in Toronto are dying to cheer for a decent hockey team!!
Yeah, as long as the Leafs don't win a cup, a second team could survive in Toronto but if they were to win the cup in the near future and show that they can compete for a little while... I'm not too sure if a Hamilton team would be a good idea. Montreal would never work though, why cheer for a new team when you can cheer for the best hockey team in the history of the NHL. No matter what the new team does, it will never rival the accomplishments of the Habs. Quebec city makes more sense but even then..

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 12:07 AM
  #42
Namso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,031
vCash: 500
Wont work in Montreal, but might work in Toronto.

Factors:
Population : TO has twice the population of Montreal, is growing at a faster rate and has massive communities neighbouring it.
Corporate Support: TO is the financial center of Canada, has all the bank headquarters and most companies are stationed there.

Right now, if the NHL is thinking of adding a second team to an NHL city, it has to be Toronto. But I doubt TO gets a new team any time soon.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 12:30 AM
  #43
mrCoffea*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 894
vCash: 500
how about we focus on getting another major league franchise back in this city, one that's not hockey related

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 10:59 AM
  #44
saskhab
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
That's a slippery slope and a fact already, a very nice rhetoric indeed

Believe it or not there's already A LOT (TONS) of people in Montreal who do not care about Hockey and have never seen a live NHL game in their own city.
The key is not the people that don't like hockey in Montreal that haven't seen a live NHL game... it's the people that DO like hockey that live in Montreal but haven't seen a live NHL game, or don't feel particularily attached to the Canadiens. That's not a very large number at the moment when you compare it to the number in the GTA that qualify.

saskhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 11:17 AM
  #45
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Regardless of the fact that Montreal is for the Habs, it doesn't have the corporate backing anymore (since many companies moved to Toronto several years ago) nor does it have enough population to support two NHL teams. Heck, they can barely hang on to their junior teams!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 02:26 PM
  #46
saskhab
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Regardless of the fact that Montreal is for the Habs, it doesn't have the corporate backing anymore (since many companies moved to Toronto several years ago) nor does it have enough population to support two NHL teams. Heck, they can barely hang on to their junior teams!
Again, the ability to support a junior franchise is completely irrelevant here. Toronto can't support one, either. It's like saying there's one Mercedes dealership in town, and demand is very strong for them, but you refuse to open a BMW dealership to compete against the Mercedes one because the local Buick dealership is dwindling.

saskhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:25 PM
  #47
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskhab View Post
Again, the ability to support a junior franchise is completely irrelevant here. Toronto can't support one, either. It's like saying there's one Mercedes dealership in town, and demand is very strong for them, but you refuse to open a BMW dealership to compete against the Mercedes one because the local Buick dealership is dwindling.
I happen to think that it's somewhat relevant as not everyone is able to afford a Mercedes or a BMW. That and the city of Montreal has lost major, major corporations to Toronto in the 80's during the whole Seperatist movement and couldn't make two NHL franchises survive.

You'll see two franchises in Toronto, one in Hamilton, one in Quebec City and one in Winnipeg before they even start thinking of two franchises in Montreal.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:27 PM
  #48
Adriatic
Registered User
 
Adriatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,594
vCash: 500
Definately not.

Adriatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 04:03 PM
  #49
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskhab View Post
The key is not the people that don't like hockey in Montreal that haven't seen a live NHL game... it's the people that DO like hockey that live in Montreal but haven't seen a live NHL game, or don't feel particularily attached to the Canadiens. That's not a very large number at the moment when you compare it to the number in the GTA that qualify.
Ticket demands isn't necessarily increased with population increase. That's where argument is a slippery slope.

It isn't a question of total population or size of the fan base, it's the ratio of fan with tickets to fan without them that counts and I'd say it is comparable. Finding a hockey fan in Montreal that never saw a live game at the Bell Centre is a lot easier than you think and as I said increase in population does not necessarily equal increase in fan base.

I wouldn't use that sort of line to predict a second franchise in Montreal anytime soon or some decades from now personally. There's tons of other factors you need to consider, such as the general wealth of the market.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 04:11 PM
  #50
Pr3Va1L
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 610
vCash: 500
Québec, yes..

Montreal? Why would anyone do that? The NHL wouldn't...


Québec would be a goldmine.. Like Hamilton.

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.