HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Cameron Gaunce

Old
02-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Brock

vCash: 500
Cameron Gaunce

Cameron Gaunce is a 90 born defenseman for the St. Mikes Majors of the OHL. He's an OHL rookie playing in his first season out of junior A. He's got good size (6'1, 203), and has put up some pretty decent offensive numbers, leading the Majors in defensive scoring. Judging by the penalty minute totals, he's pretty feisty too.

I've only seen St. Mikes twice this season, once in the very first game of the season and another about a month ago, but I don't really remember him very much. Can any other OHL informed posters (Blind Gardien?), or Majors fans tell me if they've seen anything out of this kid. Seems like a very intriguing package. Not even ranked among North American skaters on CSB's midterm assessment.

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I can't say much. Since the Majors and I both moved this summer, they're no longer my focus team. And even on TV now, I tend to pick the games with higher profile teams to watch, so I've only seen a couple Majors games too, and never really looked much at Gaunce. I have vague impressions of him having a Ryan Wilson-like physical appearance on the ice, but never really paid attention to his skating or other skills. I don't think the Majors have a lot of options on the blueline for the PP, especially with Kwiet moving on, so I don't know, maybe Gaunce is making the best of the opportunity he has there. Sorry I can't really offer anything meaningful.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Brock

Well figures, I go to the Dogs/Majors game today hoping to catch a glimpse of/get a read on him (obviously not the main reason I went. Main reason obviously to see two spirited rivals due battle), but he was scratched due to injury.

So is there anyone out there who can give me some info on this guy, seems like a real darkhorse.

Old
02-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Juan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Well figures, I go to the Dogs/Majors game today hoping to catch a glimpse of/get a read on him (obviously not the main reason I went. Main reason obviously to see two spirited rivals due battle), but he was scratched due to injury.

So is there anyone out there who can give me some info on this guy, seems like a real darkhorse.
Good size, good first pass, good on the point on the PP, likes to hit, OK stride and feet not great.

Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
Good size, good first pass, good on the point on the PP, likes to hit, OK stride and feet not great.
Right on thanks. So sounds similar to a former Major in Ryan Wilson.

Old
02-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Juan

Quote:
Right on thanks. So sounds similar to a former Major in Ryan Wilson.
Won't lug the puck like Wilson and won't run around and get caught out of position like Wilson. More of a steady, stay-at-home.

Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 12:45 AM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Obviously this thread is from last year, but I figured I could just use it instead of making a new one.

Gaunce is having quite the impressive season...16 goals and 61 points along with 104 PIM in 63 games, which leads his team as an 18 year old defenseman.

Is this guy as good as his numbers indicate? Scouting report would be much appreciated.

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
Obviously this thread is from last year, but I figured I could just use it instead of making a new one.

Gaunce is having quite the impressive season...16 goals and 61 points along with 104 PIM in 63 games, which leads his team as an 18 year old defenseman.

Is this guy as good as his numbers indicate? Scouting report would be much appreciated.
I've seen a lot of him of over the course of late last season and throughout this season.

I'm a big fan and supporter of his as a solid prospect.

The reason why he generally doesn't get as much attention as he should is that he doesn't really have a particular quality that stands out. Obviously, with 16 goals, he has a very good shot, but he's just a very solid all around defenseman.

He's very intelligent with the puck and makes the right decisions in his own end. He isn't afraid to take the body and plays aggressively one on one, although don't confuse him for a Adam Foote or Scott Stevens type of aggressive defender. He more takes the body when he needs to, but I wouldn't say he goes looking to punish people. He rushes the puck effectively and picks his spots in pinching, which he's not at all afraid to do. He runs the point on the powerplay very effectively. Like I said, generally a very solid two way defenseman. He profiles as probably a 3-4 guy who can play in every situation but who doesn't have the natural abilities that a slightly more talented 1-2 guy might.

The two things he needed to work on this year have improved IMO. The first was conditioning as he took a lot of flak for perhaps being somewhat out of shape and that he would struggle with the 3rd game in 4 nights. However, I think he looks a lot better this season in that regard, and I've heard he's dropped a fair amount of weight. The second thing is skating, which I think has improved (with the weight drop), however it still needs to get a little better for the next level.

You can check my blog (if you use the search function) for numerous game reports on Gaunce.

Old
03-09-2009, 11:36 AM
nanzenkills

It certainly seems that Gaunce's stock is rising. THN had him ranked as Colorado's #3 prospect and #75 overall. Not too bad at all.

nanzenkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 03:02 PM
PeterTheGreat

Who does he compare to in the NHL?

From the few games I have watched him, he looks to me a little bit like Ohlund. 2 way defenceman, pretty good offense, pretty good defence, solid hitter. Not the greatest skater but still decent. Reminds me of Ohlund. Gaunce probably won't be as good as a shutdown defender as Ohlund is/was, but there are definitely similarities.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
Who does he compare to in the NHL?

From the few games I have watched him, he looks to me a little bit like Ohlund. 2 way defenceman, pretty good offense, pretty good defence, solid hitter. Not the greatest skater but still decent. Reminds me of Ohlund. Gaunce probably won't be as good as a shutdown defender as Ohlund is/was, but there are definitely similarities.
I think Ohlund may be a bit of a stretch personally. Ohlund is a more aggressive player than I envision Gaunce being at the next level. I'd also venture to say that at one point, he was one of the better defensive defenseman in the league. I think you underestimate his skating ability as well, as it has declined over the years due to injury. At one point, Ohlund moved very well for a defenseman his size.

I think a better comparison for Gaunce would be a guy like Adrian Aucoin. A solid 2nd pairing defenseman with a big shot, smart with the puck, pretty decent at both ends, could stand to be more aggressive with his size and without top end skating ability.

Nothing wrong with Adrian Aucoin.

Old
05-12-2009, 05:31 PM
PeterTheGreat

So Gaunce was just signed by the Avs after a terrific season with Mississauga where he put up 64 points in 67 games. He also put up 10 points in 11 playoff games. Gaunce was named best defensive defenceman by the coaches, and 2nd place in best offensive defenseman by the coaches.

So it seems like his stock has risen quite a bit since his draft. He was drafted 50th overall by the Avs. It seems most likely that he'll be back in Mississauga next season as he is too young for the AHL.

Will he be able to play in the WJC next year? Is he good enough to make the team?

Old
05-12-2009, 05:42 PM
The Scouting Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
So Gaunce was just signed by the Avs after a terrific season with Mississauga where he put up 64 points in 67 games. He also put up 10 points in 11 playoff games. Gaunce was named best defensive defenceman by the coaches, and 2nd place in best offensive defenseman by the coaches.

So it seems like his stock has risen quite a bit since his draft. He was drafted 50th overall by the Avs. It seems most likely that he'll be back in Mississauga next season as he is too young for the AHL.

Will he be able to play in the WJC next year? Is he good enough to make the team?
He's definitely going to get a good look I think.

The Scouting Report is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 07:20 PM
Qubax

Quote:
I think Ohlund may be a bit of a stretch personally. Ohlund is a more aggressive player than I envision Gaunce being at the next level. I'd also venture to say that at one point, he was one of the better defensive defenseman in the league. I think you underestimate his skating ability as well, as it has declined over the years due to injury. At one point, Ohlund moved very well for a defenseman his size.

I think a better comparison for Gaunce would be a guy like Adrian Aucoin. A solid 2nd pairing defenseman with a big shot, smart with the puck, pretty decent at both ends, could stand to be more aggressive with his size and without top end skating ability.

Nothing wrong with Adrian Aucoin.
Aucoin led the NHL in icetime one year, so I assume that he has in the past been a number 1 defencemen.

Not a stud, but a number one guy.

Ohlund is three years younger then Aucoin, but I remember Adrian being a top blueliner...

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 08:06 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax View Post
Aucoin led the NHL in icetime one year, so I assume that he has in the past been a number 1 defencemen.

Not a stud, but a number one guy.

Ohlund is three years younger then Aucoin, but I remember Adrian being a top blueliner...
For sure, Adrian Aucoin in Long Island was a very good player.

I hope Cameron would be an Aucoin (in his prime) type player.

Old
05-13-2009, 12:17 AM
LimpDave

Gaunce reminds me more of tom gilbert actually, i'm not sure how much success he'll have in the nhl but he's just an intelligent player with no major weaknesses

it will be interesting to see him against bigger stronger and faster competition, if he can improve his foot speed and conditioning i think he'll be a first or second pairing defenseman in 2-4 years.

LimpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 07:01 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Footspeed and conditioning did indeed seem to be issues when he first stepped up from Markham, I think even in my limited viewing of him in his rookie year, the announcers were mentioning that. But he has progressed very nicely in one year, so that lends a lot of hope that continued progression will lead him to a good career. It's always nice to see a prospect take a big bite out of his perceived flaws so quickly. I found him to be decently physical and aggressive enough in the games I saw this year too. Definitely a great find for the Avs. He seems to be smart enough and versatile enough that he's going to find a way to stick no matter what. The question may then become more of the upside, how high up the depth chart can he go.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 03:19 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Footspeed and conditioning did indeed seem to be issues when he first stepped up from Markham, I think even in my limited viewing of him in his rookie year, the announcers were mentioning that. But he has progressed very nicely in one year, so that lends a lot of hope that continued progression will lead him to a good career. It's always nice to see a prospect take a big bite out of his perceived flaws so quickly. I found him to be decently physical and aggressive enough in the games I saw this year too. Definitely a great find for the Avs. He seems to be smart enough and versatile enough that he's going to find a way to stick no matter what. The question may then become more of the upside, how high up the depth chart can he go.
Similar to M.A. Bourdon in many ways. Both are also 2008 post-first round picks who are developing quite nicely despite their skating issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
Yeah, his skating and play in his own end hold him back a bit.
Not a huge fan of his decision making at time (mainly in defensive situations), but things like making a safe play will come from maturity and growth as well. Also as his skating improves, he'll be caught flat-footed less and his PIM totals will drop because he'll won't be forced to tie up the opposing forwards as much.

More or less, he's got the blueprint to project into an NHL caliber defenseman, but it's a matter of how he develops and if the hurdles in front of him can be overcome.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote