HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Buffalo-Atlanta

Old
05-10-2009, 03:34 AM
nEaLB4ZoD

vCash: 500
Buffalo-Atlanta

To Buffalo:

Kovalchuk

To Atlanta:

Stafford
Hecht
Tyler Myers
1st round pick

Last edited by nEaLB4ZoD: 05-10-2009 at 03:49 AM.
nEaLB4ZoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 05:05 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

People just never learn

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 07:26 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

The Thrashers don't have enough 31 year old 3rd liners tied up in 5 year deals at $3.5 million/year like Hecht

I think Stafford is probably a decent player to build a Kovalchuk deal around, you can keep Hecht though.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

god that is brutal

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 09:32 AM
ArVeeDee

Do not want Hecht.

ArVeeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 10:08 AM
slapshot14phil*

It would take a lot more for Kovalchuk...
Kovulchuk
for
Stafford, Tyler Myers, 1st 09, 2nd 09, 3rd 09, Pomminville

Kovalchuk is a top 10 player in the world.

slapshot14phil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 10:18 AM
HarriSateri

I wouldn't trade Myers for Kovalchuk straight up.

HarriSateri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 10:19 AM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarriSateri View Post
Haha, what?

Stafford, Myers, Pominville, 1st.

Kovalchuk is a superstar and a franchise player.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
I've seen some great comments on here before but that's absolutely brutal. Mike Milbury, is... is... that you?

Please enlighten us why you wouldn't give up a decent prospect for one of the best NHL players out there and who is currently in his prime.

I can only assume you're thinking about contracts etc because on a skill-for-skill swap, I think I'd bite Don Waddell's arm off for that deal...

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
Haha, what?

Stafford, Myers, Pominville, 1st.

Kovalchuk is a superstar and a franchise player.
That's the type of return you would get for a player signed long term. Kovalchuk is able to walk after this season so I doubt teams are too apt to pony up a blue chip prospect, a 1st, a young player and a PPG player signed long term. There's no doubt that Kovalchuk is the best player in the deal but the contract situation has a negative bearing on his value.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 11:08 AM
IslesDude

The contract situation doesn't take away value as much as some like to think. Especially when the guy is one of the best players in the world. A lot of people say that the return for Hossa was terrible. That really isn't fair. Leveille and Esposito could both become good top six forwards. They are both a few years off, but the potential is there. People act like Waddell only got Armstrong in return for Hossa.

Kovalchuk might be the biggest gamebreaker in the league behind Ovechkin, Malkin, and Crosby. Are you saying that you wouldn't trade that much to get one of those guys just because they have one year on their contract? The teams trading for Kovalchuk will plan to re-sign him. No one is trading for him as a rental. Whoever gets him will make every effort to get him signed to an extension.

IslesDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 11:38 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesDude View Post
The contract situation doesn't take away value as much as some like to think. Especially when the guy is one of the best players in the world. A lot of people say that the return for Hossa was terrible. That really isn't fair. Leveille and Esposito could both become good top six forwards. They are both a few years off, but the potential is there. People act like Waddell only got Armstrong in return for Hossa.

Kovalchuk might be the biggest gamebreaker in the league behind Ovechkin, Malkin, and Crosby. Are you saying that you wouldn't trade that much to get one of those guys just because they have one year on their contract? The teams trading for Kovalchuk will plan to re-sign him. No one is trading for him as a rental. Whoever gets him will make every effort to get him signed to an extension.
Keep in mind that the Sabres are not a Kovalchuk away from winning the Cup. Giving up all that and still having the legitimate possibility of missing the playoffs is not something that makes sense for Buffalo to do.

BackGroundMusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyMcWoo View Post
I've seen some great comments on here before but that's absolutely brutal. Mike Milbury, is... is... that you?

Please enlighten us why you wouldn't give up a decent prospect for one of the best NHL players out there and who is currently in his prime.

I can only assume you're thinking about contracts etc because on a skill-for-skill swap, I think I'd bite Don Waddell's arm off for that deal...
Myers is much more than a "decent" prospect, but I agree with your overall gist.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 12:30 PM
IslesFTW

Quote:

Maybe because Kovy could very possibly be a one year rental? Plus Myers is a great prospect, not decent.

Not that I agree with what he wrote, but I think there is a plausible reason behind it.

IslesFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

Quote:
stoop

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 01:57 PM
blankspace6

One of the worst I've seen.

blankspace6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 02:08 PM
HarriSateri

Quote:

1. If, I am the Sabres, I am rebuilding.
2. Kovalchuk does not make the Sabres a better team.
3. Kovalchuk's contract situation.
4. Buffalo needs big defensive defensemen more than another winger.
5. Myers' potential is sky high. Could be more useful down the road than a one dimensional winger.
6. Kovalchuk does not make the Sabres a better team.
7. Kovalchuk's contract situation.
8. Kovalchuk doesn't fit the Sabres' system.
9. I don't like Kovalchuk.
10. I like Myers.
11. Read 6 and 7.
12. With respect to 6 and 7, why would the Sabres move 3 quality pieces (one being one of our top 2 prospects) for 1 year of a player that won't improve the team at all?

HarriSateri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 04:32 PM
IslesFTW

Quote:
1. If, I am the Sabres, I am rebuilding.And a mid-20s franchise forward wouldn't help them "rebuild?"
2. Kovalchuk does not make the Sabres a better team. Yes he does.
3. Kovalchuk's contract situation. Yes, this is basically the only thing that makes your statement a little logical.
4. Buffalo needs big defensive defensemen more than another winger. So just because they need defensemen as well means they they should not take a Kovy(his contract status not-withstanding)?
5. Myers' potential is sky high. Could be more useful down the road than a one dimensional winger. Myers is good, but let's be real here. No way does he become as good of a NHL player as Kovy is now. Taking a prospect who hasn't played one game in the NHL over a franchise winger is absolutely inane. And Kovy isn't "one dimensional..." and if you plan on using his +/- figures as defense for calling him one dimensional, I'd like to point out that he was on one of the worst defensive and goalie-less teams in the league for basically his entire career.
6. Kovalchuk does not make the Sabres a better team. Yes he does. Add a 90 point player to ANY team in the league, and they are instantly better. Take Kovy away from the Thrashers this season, and they finish atleast 10 points behind the Islanders.
7. Kovalchuk's contract situation. Read number 3. Basically your only logical point.
8. Kovalchuk doesn't fit the Sabres' system. Good, fast, talented forwards don't fit your system? Well in that case, might you be interseted in Thomas Pock?
9. I don't like Kovalchuk. That's good. He is still an amazing player though.
10. I like Myers. That's good, but that still doesn't make him close to being as valuable as Kovy, contracts not withstanding.
11. Read 6 and 7. Stick with points 3 and 7. They are your only good ones.
12. With respect to 6 and 7, why would the Sabres move 3 quality pieces (one being one of our top 2 prospects) for 1 year of a player that won't improve the team at all? Agreed about the one year rental part. However, if Kovy was signed long term, you'd be absolutely idiotic to not do that deal. And if you really believe Kovy wouldn't help your team
Stick with points 3 and 7.

IslesFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 04:33 PM
nEaLB4ZoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersonrox28 View Post
It would take a lot more for Kovalchuk...
Kovulchuk
for
Stafford, Tyler Myers, 1st 09, 2nd 09, 3rd 09, Pomminville

Kovalchuk is a top 10 player in the world.
Why does everyone on here immediately go to the extreme with every top end player. Two top two line wingers, a blue chip prospect and the first 3 picks in a good draft. Seriously I can understand if someone said my first post wasn't enough but this is a little ridiculous. Also I don't think the original offer was brutal. I think pretty much everyone on this board overrates what top ten players will go for and history is on my side. I also think people are waaaaaaaaay underestimating the value of Myers.

nEaLB4ZoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
10. I like Myers.
I think that's it in a nutshell. At least you wear your bias on your sleeve with pride... I'm not sure too many NHL GMs would agree with this one though

Just one point though - Kovalchuk clearly makes Buffalo a better team. Myers isn't in the NHL so even on the basis of pedantry you'd be getting a roster asset for a non-roster one...

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 04:56 PM
EndlessNameless9319

Send a message via MSN to EndlessNameless9319
We are NOT trading Tyler Myers.

EndlessNameless9319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 06:17 PM
JeffYear92*

Quote:
1. If, I am the Sabres, I am rebuilding.
2. Kovalchuk does not make the Sabres a better team.
3. Kovalchuk's contract situation.
4. Buffalo needs big defensive defensemen more than another winger.
5. Myers' potential is sky high. Could be more useful down the road than a one dimensional winger.
6. Kovalchuk does not make the Sabres a better team.
7. Kovalchuk's contract situation.
8. Kovalchuk doesn't fit the Sabres' system.
10. I like Myers.
11. Read 6 and 7.
12. With respect to 6 and 7, why would the Sabres move 3 quality pieces (one being one of our top 2 prospects) for 1 year of a player that won't improve the team at all?
i agree with most of these points

JeffYear92* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 08:34 AM
Jame
Dream '16

When someone comes up with a logical reason that Kovy is worth SIGNIFICANTLY more than Hossa returned at the deadline last year... please inform me....

Christensen, Armstrong, Esposito.... Im not sure if there was even a 1st in there....

So for Buffalo to acquire Kovy for 1 season, the return would look more like:

Drew Stafford, Clarke MacArthur, Nate Gerbe

If a team gets the opportunity to work out a long term extension prior to a trade then his value goes up exponentially... but until then, the bar is set.

get real.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 08:38 AM
IslesDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
When someone comes up with a logical reason that Kovy is worth SIGNIFICANTLY more than Hossa returned at the deadline last year... please inform me....

Christensen, Armstrong, Esposito.... Im not sure if there was even a 1st in there....

So for Buffalo to acquire Kovy for 1 season, the return would look more like:

Drew Stafford, Clarke MacArthur, Nate Gerbe

If a team gets the opportunity to work out a long term extension prior to a trade then his value goes up exponentially... but until then, the bar is set.

get real.
because Kovalchuk is better than Hossa and would be more committed to staying with the team he goes to? Hossa had a history of being hard to deal with in Ottawa too.

I'd imagine that Waddell won't wait until the last minute like he did with Hossa. I can also imagine that at least 7-8 teams will be seriously going after Kovalchuk if he isn't signed. Here is your logical reason :

BIDDING WAR

IslesDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 09:13 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesDude View Post
because Kovalchuk is better than Hossa and would be more committed to staying with the team he goes to? Hossa had a history of being hard to deal with in Ottawa too.

I'd imagine that Waddell won't wait until the last minute like he did with Hossa. I can also imagine that at least 7-8 teams will be seriously going after Kovalchuk if he isn't signed. Here is your logical reason :

BIDDING WAR
So that will narrow down the teams quickly as the asking price goes outside what a team is willing to part with.

I like Kovalchuk -- I find him passionate and entertaining. That said, I don't see how he answers a need for Buffalo, regardless of debate on what he may or may not land in trade.

How does this help Atlanta, if at all?
Why would Buffalo gut their development cycle to land a one-year rental at a position they do not need help at?
How is Kovalchuk in the summer worth more than Hossa at the deadline, when prices tend to skyrocket compared to summer moves?

None of those answer positively, so I don't see a reason to continue to attack or defend players or proposals.