HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Buffalo Sabres Ink Defenseman Tyler Myers To 3-Year Entry Level Contract

Old
05-11-2009, 02:29 PM
EndlessNameless9319
Tank Mode Engaged

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to EndlessNameless9319
Buffalo Sabres Ink Defenseman Tyler Myers To 3-Year Entry Level Contract

Myers in preseason action with the Sabres

Quote:
Buffalo Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier announced today the Sabres have signed defenseman Tyler Myers to a three-year entry level contract. Myers was Buffalo’s first selection (12th overall) in the 2008 Entry Draft.

“Tyler is having an outstanding year with the Kelowna Rockets,” said General Manager Darcy Regier. “This past weekend he led the Rockets to the Western Hockey League Championship where he was named playoff MVP. He is a big, strong player who has excellent hockey skills for a 19-year old player. We’re glad to have him signed and look forward to his continued development both on and off the ice.”
http://sabres.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...ticleid=422350

Details to be announced later.

Awesomeness, this kid has franchise potential, and is a virtual lock to be on the Sabres blueline come the start of next season. He's absolutely dominant.

Last edited by Redwingsfan: 05-11-2009 at 03:48 PM. Reason: copyright.
EndlessNameless9319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
Conga Rats!

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

nice.

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 02:37 PM
stazza18
HFBoards Sponsor

Awesome, can't wait to see the guy play.

stazza18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 02:40 PM
bleuetbio

a monster is born. Maybe it doesnt to do a stage in the AHL. I

bleuetbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Slevesque

is he making the big club next year ?? any spots available on the roster for him ?

Slevesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 02:46 PM
The Puck

He's gonna be J-Bo 2.0

The Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Towelie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt the Dog View Post
He's gonna be J-Bo 2.0
No he won't. Very good defensemen though, MVP of the WHL playoffs.

Towelie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 03:04 PM
caley

Myers' growth this year as a player has been exponential. It turns out losing Schenn to the Leafs was the best player for him and the Rockets, as it forced him to become the guy on the blueline. He has an uncanny ability to claim the puck in the defensive zone, and get it out of the zone, not by dumping it out like Schenn, but by taking it blueline to blueline utilizing his great speed and unparalelled reach. I used to think his upside was going to be as a very good, much faster Hal Gill, a solid Top 4 guy, but after this season, the J-Bo 2.0 comparision is very apt: a very good defenceman, with great wheels, who can handle a lot of ice-time, and a good, not great, offensive game.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog Hodgson View Post
No he won't. Very good defensemen though, MVP of the WHL playoffs.
He was MVP of the series not the entire playoffs.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Kid is GIANT.

G.I.A.N.T.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Really happy that this finally happened and really excited as well. As a longtime Sabres fan, it would be nice to have such a big force in the lineup to make the team a little bigger. I'm sure he will be in Portland along with our other two defensive prospects that we signed a month ago. We have a bunch of dmen that have cracked or could crack the lineup for 09-10. Currently, Rivet, Lydman, Tallinder, Spacek (if he resigns), Sekera, and Paetsch all have a roster spot. It's pretty safe to say that Butler won't step foot in Portland again starting next season so we have him as well and Mike Weber has proven that he may be ready to come up permanently next season as well. Teppo is most likely to retire so I won't count him. But I expect to see Myers appear in 10-11.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Good for them! I've only seen him in the WJC, but he looked really good.. Should become a great NHL d-man..

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 03:51 PM
HockeyScholar

Great pick by Buffalo. I can't believe you guys got him at 12th overall. Fun watching him in the WHL playoffs.

HockeyScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Really happy that this finally happened and really excited as well. As a longtime Sabres fan, it would be nice to have such a big force in the lineup to make the team a little bigger. I'm sure he will be in Portland along with our other two defensive prospects that we signed a month ago. We have a bunch of dmen that have cracked or could crack the lineup for 09-10. Currently, Rivet, Lydman, Tallinder, Spacek (if he resigns), Sekera, and Paetsch all have a roster spot. It's pretty safe to say that Butler won't step foot in Portland again starting next season so we have him as well and Mike Weber has proven that he may be ready to come up permanently next season as well. Teppo is most likely to retire so I won't count him. But I expect to see Myers appear in 10-11.
Myers can't play in Portland. WHL or NHL.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
Myers can't play in Portland. WHL or NHL.
Why can't he play in Portland? Sorry I'm not familiar with some of this so I probably missed something.

Old
05-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Why can't he play in Portland? Sorry I'm not familiar with some of this so I probably missed something.

He's not old enough (players jumping from the CHL have to be 20 prior to Jan. 1st of that season OR have a minimum 25 games played per season for 4 seasons... he meets neither criteria).

05-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Players drafted out of the CHL have to be 20 to play in the AHL..

edit: nevermind.. Not fast enough

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 04:08 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Ah, ok thank you both. Did not know that. He probably stays in the WHL for next season. I think he's in the Buffalo lineup the year after though. Is he the closest to Chara in size? I know Valabik is pretty close but I heard Myers grew another inch or so since the time he was drafted. Is this true?

Old
05-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Ah, ok thank you both. Did not know that. He probably stays in the WHL for next season. I think he's in the Buffalo lineup the year after though. Is he the closest to Chara in size? I know Valabik is pretty close but I heard Myers grew another inch or so since the time he was drafted. Is this true?
Right now I think he's got a good shot to make the opening day roster. He's just shy of 6'8" at the moment, about an inch less than Chara in terms of height. Granted, he's 45ish pounds lighter at the moment than Zdano and Z's well-known for his dedication to his body.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 04:11 PM
HNJB*

As a Sabre fan, i am thrilled. We have never really had one, so to even have a potential franchise defenseman makes me giddy. he is, believe it or not, even bigger than he was at the draft. has grown an inch or two and gained 20ish pounds. Sounded like he played a bit more physical this year too.

HNJB* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Towelie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee Seeking Scud View Post
He was MVP of the series not the entire playoffs.
Fail.

http://whl.ca/

Old
05-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Iwishihadacup

hes got one hell of a long stick

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
He was so dominant towards the end of the season and especially in the playoffs that I don't think he has much to gain by spending an extra year in junior. Granted Kelowna played really strong team defence but it was Myers who was always out there against the best players, and he shut down everyone in the playoffs.

As far as his size, reports now have him at 6'8" but he's still fairly lanky at only 215 pounds. If he works hard in the summer and shows up at 225 for training camp it'd be really hard to send him back. That said, I think his weight would be the only thing that keeps him in junior. Because he's going to get challenged a ton in his rookie year (not necessarily people wanting to fight him but people just hitting him all the time to see if he can take it) and as strong as he is if he's not ready for the physicality it may hold him back a bit.

Still, there is so much to get excited about with Myers the way his development has gone. He really improved his physicality and has just been demolishing WHLers. Nobody can handle him down low. Plus he has that incredibly skating for a big guy, really improved his all aspects of his offensive game. It's not only that he skates well when he doesn't have the puck, he actually has the confidence and the puck skills to break out himself and carry the puck through the neutral zone to get the counter-attack going. If I were a Buffalo fan I would be so excited about this kid's potential because it's crazy how good he could be in a few years.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Towelie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
He was so dominant towards the end of the season and especially in the playoffs that I don't think he has much to gain by spending an extra year in junior. Granted Kelowna played really strong team defence but it was Myers who was always out there against the best players, and he shut down everyone in the playoffs.

As far as his size, reports now have him at 6'8" but he's still fairly lanky at only 215 pounds. If he works hard in the summer and shows up at 225 for training camp it'd be really hard to send him back. That said, I think his weight would be the only thing that keeps him in junior. Because he's going to get challenged a ton in his rookie year (not necessarily people wanting to fight him but people just hitting him all the time to see if he can take it) and as strong as he is if he's not ready for the physicality it may hold him back a bit.

Still, there is so much to get excited about with Myers the way his development has gone. He really improved his physicality and has just been demolishing WHLers. Nobody can handle him down low. Plus he has that incredibly skating for a big guy, really improved his all aspects of his offensive game. It's not only that he skates well when he doesn't have the puck, he actually has the confidence and the puck skills to break out himself and carry the puck through the neutral zone to get the counter-attack going. If I were a Buffalo fan I would be so excited about this kid's potential because it's crazy how good he could be in a few years.
I agree with a lot of your points, and have followed the Rockets this season. Like you said, he has progressed throughout the year and into the playoffs, and is certainly the pivot on the Rockets back end. For the most part, I agree that their are not too many aspects of his game that he can really improve upon in the WHL, however, I do think he could continue to progress at dominating the opposition physically. Over the last couple of seasons he has used his physical strength more and more, and I think that another year of WHL would further increase his will to hit, and so forth.

If he goes to the NHL, he will not immediately be able to develop his physical game as he will be a lot weaker in comparison.