HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Buffalo Sabres Ink Defenseman Tyler Myers To 3-Year Entry Level Contract

Old
05-11-2009, 05:39 PM
ecemleafs

vCash: 500
dowzak is better

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 06:28 PM
KingsCrown

I was really excited that the Kings had the chance to draft him at #12 but then when they traded down for Teubert I was dissapointed. So far, looks like Myers was the better pick. I guess we'll see in 2-3 years......

KingsCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Theron
#beauty

Send a message via ICQ to Theron Send a message via AIM to Theron Send a message via MSN to Theron Send a message via Yahoo to Theron Send a message via Skype™ to Theron
Myers has been destroying .. and will continue to in the mem cup..

Theron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog Hodgson View Post
I agree with a lot of your points, and have followed the Rockets this season. Like you said, he has progressed throughout the year and into the playoffs, and is certainly the pivot on the Rockets back end. For the most part, I agree that their are not too many aspects of his game that he can really improve upon in the WHL, however, I do think he could continue to progress at dominating the opposition physically. Over the last couple of seasons he has used his physical strength more and more, and I think that another year of WHL would further increase his will to hit, and so forth.

If he goes to the NHL, he will not immediately be able to develop his physical game as he will be a lot weaker in comparison.
Excellent point and kind of reaches my point about size/physicality when training camp rolls around. If he bulks up a bit this summer and comes to training camp knowing he has to be physical to earn a roster spot, I don't know how much good that extra year in the WHL will do him but I do see your point about really focusing on physical play in that final year of junior.

Though I think you may be looking for him to be more aggressive? Which is very hard to teach. Some players are berserk, others are timid. Myers, while not timid by any stretch of the imagination, will probably never be Chris Pronger in terms of mean streak/physicality (and dirty play...) I'd say he's learned to pick his spots quite well and that overall he knows he's big and strong and he generally makes that known on the ice. (His annihilation of Evander Kane a few months after the WJC still stands as one of the best hits in the WHL this year.) Plus he knows that along the boards, almost nobody in the WHL can win puck battles against him, so going up against stronger players should help him develop.

An extra year could help him gain confidence in the physical department and dominate against weaker opposition, but I don't think it'll do much to change his temperament. Right now he's a good blend of skill and physicality. He needs to get bigger in order to compete in the NHL, but I think he picks his spots very well (especially for a young player) and he knows how to use his size to his advantage better than most kids his age. (For me this is both in asserting himself physically and using his reach.)

I think we agree on most points, but for me it comes to down to being mentally and physically prepared for the NHL. With a big extra weight and the right mindset, I think he can be in the NHL next year with very few problems.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 07:58 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Personally, even if it's a little bit of a stretch for him, I'd rather see him up with the big club in order to get access to better training, nutrition, etc.

dire wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 08:24 PM
mariolemieux66

Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
Plekanec is very happy with this news.
After Chara in Boston , now Myers in Buffalo

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Hale The Villain

This guy is the next Zdeno Chara

I live in Kelowna and see the Rockets play a lot and this guy will be a star. He makes only one or two mistakes every game, his speed is unbelievable for his size and uses his reach to shutdown opposing forwards

Easily our best defenseman, I think he will be better than Schenn when all is said and done. What a steal

Hale The Villain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 08:32 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Big Bird part deux.....but good for Buffalo. We'll see how he does with the Sabres.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 10:59 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsCrown View Post
I was really excited that the Kings had the chance to draft him at #12 but then when they traded down for Teubert I was dissapointed. So far, looks like Myers was the better pick. I guess we'll see in 2-3 years......
What's funny is at the time the Sabres board was pissed that the Sabres wanted Myers over Teubert We were (and still are) in "get a physical D-man" mode, and Teubert seemed more like a sure thing.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 01:39 AM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Good for the Sabres. They need some size on the back line, and he's also got the mobility to keep up with the play. IMO, the most impressive D man in the WJCs.

BelovedIsles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 01:40 AM
Spalfredsson

He can't be that good considering he didn't even make the HF top 50 ratings..

Spalfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 02:33 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speatley View Post
He can't be that good considering he didn't even make the HF top 50 ratings..
...and yet made THN's Future Watch as #9 overall. *shrug*

05-12-2009, 03:46 AM
Spalfredsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
...and yet made THN's Future Watch as #9 overall. *shrug*
I know

I was being sarcastic... love Myers as a prospect and think his potential is huge (pun).

Spalfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:49 AM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speatley View Post
I know

I was being sarcastic... love Myers as a prospect and think his potential is huge (pun).
The best part of it all is that Myers is probably the best drafted prospect in the entire league yet to play an NHL game. He had a Dion Phaneuf type burst of progression this year. And someone he is not even top 50 according to HF.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 12:19 PM
DUHockey9

I really wanted the Flyers to draft this guy, I'm excited to see how he progresses.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 12:43 PM
John Druce
Flynt Flossy

Tyler Myers + Nathan Gerbe, divided by 2 = two average sized players

John Druce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Phillybean

One of the things Im happy about is the fact that he is using his size now. Last year and even earlier this year he didn't hit enough. During the playoffs he hasn't been afraid to hit, which is a huge stride imo.

That said, he needs to bulk up to play in the NHL.

Phillybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Jooce81

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Druce View Post
Tyler Myers + Nathan Gerbe, divided by 2 = two average sized players
lol ya..really now factor Ennis and Roy in there

Jooce81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 02:20 AM
mvp23

what kind of offensive potential will he have in the NHL? I know he plays in all situations and logs heavy minutes for Kelowna and lately seems to have shown more offensive skill. will he have a similar role in Buffalo and also play on the first PP unit? any predictions on how many points he could potentially max out at?

mvp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 02:38 AM
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp23 View Post
what kind of offensive potential will he have in the NHL? I know he plays in all situations and logs heavy minutes for Kelowna and lately seems to have shown more offensive skill. will he have a similar role in Buffalo and also play on the first PP unit? any predictions on how many points he could potentially max out at?
His shot from the point is a bullet and he is an excellent puck-mover. He's also a very good skater and can really get going when he rushes the puck, but I don't think that's the strongest part of his game. To be honest, I think Buffalo is best served not forcing the offensive part of his game too early on. He needs to get comfortable in the NHL and be paired with a veteran defenseman because he's still quite slight for his size and will need time to adjust to the faster pace of the game defensively at first. I see him putting up 10-15 points the first few years, and not getting much PP time, but maxing out at around 35-45pts. He's "just" good offensively IMO but an absolute beast defensively.

Rimounski was crap tonight, but Myers was the best player on both teams tonight and looked head and shoulders (literally and figuratively!) above anyone else. Just dominant defensively and offensively in the WHL, especially in the latter part of the season, and now it looks like he's still that good in the Memorial Cup. I don't see any reason why he should be sent back to the Dub next year except for the fact he needs to put on at least 10 pounds before he'll be able to handle the NHL.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 10:59 AM
smokes lets go

He was lights out yesterday, best d-man out there. He doesn't use his size but it seems he does not really have to, he uses his MASSIVE stick to his advantage all the time. Has the makings of a great player, will be interesting to see how he adjusts to the NHL. Future #1 d-man as well as a future Pierre Mcguire Monster. (big stick!!!!!!!!!!)

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 11:02 AM
re5piration
'67 til

Schenn will ruin Myers in a scrap

re5piration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Dubi Doo

This thread is getting me very optimistic and, as a Sabres fan, being optimistic is never good.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote