HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question about James Van Riemsdyk

Old
05-11-2009, 04:13 PM
leafers

vCash: 500
Question about James Van Riemsdyk

Hey guys,

I'm looking to add james van riemsdyk in a fantasy league so I was just wondering if you could answer a few questions.

When will he be ready to play in the NHL?

How much has he progressed since being drafted?

Finally, what is his projection?

Thanks in advance.

leafers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Hehe, is this an AHL fantasy league?

Like Giroux, he won't be rushed... and, unlike Giroux, I don't think he's as NHL-ready.

He's just going to take longer to develop given his size and play-style. He needs more weight on that 6'4'' frame, and he needs to get acclimated to the speed and physicality at pro level. And, beyond that, expect Carter-esque growing pains. He'll look lanky and Frankensteinish at times, come off the ice straight-legged, take some wild snap-shots, etc.

If you're asking me to guess potential for next season, he might be capable of 15-30 games starting after January. Maybe 10-25 points?

I haven't thought about it much, honestly. I'm waiting to see what sort of camp he has. He might be a Flyers' 3rd-liner in October, he might belong to the Phantoms for the duration of '09-'10. We'll see.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 05:46 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
You'll get a lot of guys slamming him on here, none of those guys has watched him play outside of the WJCs. Having seen him live 4-5 times and plenty more on TV, here would be my guesses.

A) Could be a call-up next year, I'd be very surprised if he makes the Flyers out of camp.

B) He's progressed decently since being drafted. He's always had the raw skills and has done a good job turning them into an end product. Improved noticeably defensively during his sophomore year despite playing out of position.

C) I'd say his projection would be a 30-40 goalscorer with 45-55 assists. I don't think he'll ever lead the league in scoring, but his size makes him extremely valuable.

He needed to go pro to continue to progress and he's done that, be good to see him work on his forechecking now and the physical side of the game.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
Hehe, is this an AHL fantasy league?

Like Giroux, he won't be rushed... and, unlike Giroux, I don't think he's as NHL-ready.

He's just going to take longer to develop given his size and play-style. He needs more weight on that 6'4'' frame, and he needs to get acclimated to the speed and physicality at pro level. And, beyond that, expect Carter-esque growing pains. He'll look lanky and Frankensteinish at times, come off the ice straight-legged, take some wild snap-shots, etc.

If you're asking me to guess potential for next season, he might be capable of 15-30 games starting after January. Maybe 10-25 points?

I haven't thought about it much, honestly. I'm waiting to see what sort of camp he has. He might be a Flyers' 3rd-liner in October, he might belong to the Phantoms for the duration of '09-'10. We'll see.

The big difference between his development and that of Giroux and Carter, who you mentioned, and Richards for that matter, is his being an American who played two years in college rather than playing the larger and more developmental Juniors... That alone, IMO, would set him back from the others' NHL grooming schedule. I really believe that keeping him in The 'A' a full season or two, except for an occasional taste of the Bigs to whet his palate, is not a bad thing.

That said, rushing a player in the Cap Era is not unusual any more... I'd not count on much of anything from him at the NHl level in 2009-10 if I were deciding.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 06:11 PM
DUHockey9

I don't believe he will make the Flyers this fall, and I tend to believe he will spend the whole year with the Phantoms. As others have said, I don't think he is as ready as Giroux was, and Giroux benefited greatly from his time with the Phantoms.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 06:20 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

i dont think he's ready and thats fine with me

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 07:04 PM
ph

Most posters here will disagree with me but I believe he will join the Flyers out of camp unless our cap problems prevent this. I believe he will be given a shot to replace Lupul on the Carter line. He should be able to pick up a fair amount of points playing with Carter which should build his confidence.

ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 07:42 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph View Post
Most posters here will disagree with me but I believe he will join the Flyers out of camp unless our cap problems prevent this. I believe he will be given a shot to replace Lupul on the Carter line. He should be able to pick up a fair amount of points playing with Carter which should build his confidence.
I won't disagree with the bolded statement. Personally, I think/hope the Flyers move Lupul. Assuming that happens, JVR will absolutely be given a shot to replace him, however I don't think he will win it. I just think he needs some time in the AHL.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Just for curiosity, what leads you to believe that? What makes you believe he can make the jump from college to an NHL game without any profession experience to bridge it?

Old
05-11-2009, 08:31 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
Just for curiosity, what leads you to believe that? What makes you believe he can make the jump from college to an NHL game without any profession experience to bridge it?
It's not that unbelievable. Toews, Erik Johnson, Kyle Turris and Blake Wheeler (who I think is very comparable to JVR) all made the jump. That is 4 recent examples of young players coming directly from the NCAA to an NHL team.

I honestly think that if JVR has a good camp, he can have a Blake Wheeler kind of effect for the Flyers. 21-24-45 in a full first season would be pretty sweet from JVR. That definitely replaces Lupul.

It all comes down to how much work JVR puts in this summer, if he puts on some weight I think he can compete for a spot.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
I think putting JVR on Carter's line as a rookie would be a mistake and I highly doubt they will do that. If he plays for the Flyers be on a 3rd line role. He will most likely play somewhere that he can play 13-15 minutes a night and not have the pressure to be on a scoring line against other teams best defenders. He will still have opportunities to score, especially if he's on a 3rd line with Briere. Carter is coming off of a 46 goal season and his line was the best the Flyers had this year. If its a line like Hartnell, Carter and JVR they will certainly not only draw some very good defenders but they will draw the biggest toughest players the opposition has to offer. That doesnt sound like a recipe for success to me. I would much rather see him on a 3rd line with briere.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 09:16 PM
PhilaFlyers

I want him to start in the AHL and hopefully bring him up sometime next season.

PhilaFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanRichards View Post
It's not that unbelievable. Toews, Erik Johnson, Kyle Turris and Blake Wheeler (who I think is very comparable to JVR) all made the jump. That is 4 recent examples of young players coming directly from the NCAA to an NHL team.

I honestly think that if JVR has a good camp, he can have a Blake Wheeler kind of effect for the Flyers. 21-24-45 in a full first season would be pretty sweet from JVR. That definitely replaces Lupul.

It all comes down to how much work JVR puts in this summer, if he puts on some weight I think he can compete for a spot.

Fair enough, there has indeed been players who have made the jump, and I'm sure there will be many more... But FWIW, I just didn't see an easy transition to the pro game with the Phantoms... The first game he seemed lost out there, but that could be from the quick turnaround from NCAA directly to the AHL being just about overnight... but the subsequent games did not provide any hints of his quickly grasping the upgrade in speed and talent found in the pro game.

Also, it seems to me that a big player who plays his type of game doesn't always make the quick transition compared to the smaller, quicker player... although he has good speed for a player his size.

I may be way off base here, but I don't believe he will be one of those players who make the quick jump from NCAA to NHL... even with his Number Two overall position. And to be quite honest, I'd rather allow him time to mature and progress in the AHL -- as well as gain that hunger while paying his dues on a bus a few days a week -- The Flyers are stacked at forward and there is no need to rush him in.

Giroux was thought of as a sure bet by many to make it out Camp last Fall... the months with the Phantoms helped him greatly develop an overall game, his D made grade strides in a brief period.

Either route he takes is fine with me... as long as the result is many long seasons of quality play in O&B.

Old
05-11-2009, 09:23 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Give him the Bobby Ryan treatment and leave him in the AHL for the year.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 09:59 PM
TheKingPin

Yea the only way he starts on the Flyers next year is if we trade a player like Lupul, which I think will happen so I can see him being a Flyer out of camp.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 10:04 PM
BrindamoursNose

JVR is not ready for the NHL based off of what I saw last season with the Phantoms...He looked horrible.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 11:04 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Depends on what happens with Lupul.

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 11:18 PM
ph

Quote:
Just a gut feeling. I doubt many here saw Richards becoming a PPG player by doubling his point total from 1 season to the next, or Carter exploding from 14 goals to 46 in just 2 seasons. I'm not going to put much stock into a few phantoms games at the end of the season. The purpose of those games was just to show JVR what he needs to do in the offseason. It's up to him now, but I don't think he left college to be a phantom so I fully expect him to put the work in.

Old
05-11-2009, 11:22 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanRichards View Post

I agree with this, though I think JVR will have to have a great camp to start the season with the Flyers. Hopefully the Flyers have him work on strength and conditioning over the summer in preparation for a full season at the professional level.

If he has to start in the AHL, or remain in the AHL for a season, so be it. Like Giroux this season, I'm hoping for JVR to get a shot next year, but my expectations that he can step into the NHL game are a little lower than I had for Giroux; Giroux was lauded for his two-way game coming into the professional ranks, so he had a bit of a head start on most rookies.

I expect JVR to be a solid contributor for the Flyers but it may take time. I'm fully prepared to wait a season or two to see him make a solid impact.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 11:25 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Just a gut feeling. I doubt many here saw Richards doubling his point total from 1 season to the next, or Carter exploding from 14 goals to 46 in just 2 seasons.
Well... he didn't really dominate at World Juniors like expected...

He registered 2 points in 11 games with the Phantoms, but I don't really have information on what his ice time/linemates were like - so it's not fair to knock him there.

I suppose I'm not doubting his ability to break out - but, to me, if James hits the ice as a Flyer in October, it would be a major quantum leap.

Old
05-11-2009, 11:35 PM
ph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
Well... he didn't really dominate at World Juniors like expected...
He also didn't have the luxary of playing for a stacked Canada team like some of the other highly touted prospects. The USA team was overrated IMO.

Old
05-11-2009, 11:39 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Just a gut feeling. I doubt many here saw Richards becoming a PPG player by doubling his point total from 1 season to the next, or Carter exploding from 14 goals to 46 in just 2 seasons. I'm not going to put much stock into a few phantoms games at the end of the season. The purpose of those games was just to show JVR what he needs to do in the offseason. It's up to him now, but I don't think he left college to be a phantom so I fully expect him to put the work in.
This may sound crazy at this point but I truly feel that Clarke rushed Richards and Carter... I am a firm believer that all but the superstar type players -- such as Crysbaby -- should spend at least the major portion of one season in the 'A'... for maturity, seasoning and hunger, plus the understanding of what price they must pay to earn a spot in the Bigs... Clarke incorporated them into the team upon the buyouts and lost players not tendered contracts when the Lockout occurred... Although the two had fine postseasons ending with a Calder Cup during the Lockout, they didn't excel in the NHL as rookies and the team could have used two more veterans -- two more GOOD veterans -- that awful season and a season riding the buses in the 'A' wouldn't have hurt them, IMO.

I don't know if a mediocre season in the NHL for JvR would be better than a full season, give or take, down on the farm... But I do trust Homer's judgement in the matter.

Old
05-11-2009, 11:54 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
I truly feel that Clarke rushed Richards and Carter...
Not only into the NHL...

He handed the keys to the castle over to those two. And, they promptly turned it into a frat house.

Old
05-12-2009, 12:45 AM
Jim Schennson
Bros.

At the van Riemsdyk family reunion this past weekend, lil' Jimmy said his main goal is to make the Flyers roster this fall, but he won't be disappointed if he has to start the season with the Phantoms. He plans on working really hard this offseason, to put himself in the best position to have an impressive camp. If he's as impressive as he was in the family wiffle ball game, going 4-5 (hitting for the cycle), winning the potato sack race, and anchoring the side that won tug-o-war, then I think he's got a decent shot of making the roster. -Uncle Dick

Jim Schennson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 01:14 PM
DayoftheGreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick van Riemsdyk View Post
At the van Riemsdyk family reunion this past weekend, lil' Jimmy said his main goal is to make the Flyers roster this fall, but he won't be disappointed if he has to start the season with the Phantoms. He plans on working really hard this offseason, to put himself in the best position to have an impressive camp. If he's as impressive as he was in the family wiffle ball game, going 4-5 (hitting for the cycle), winning the potato sack race, and anchoring the side that won tug-o-war, then I think he's got a decent shot of making the roster. -Uncle Dick
Lol!

DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote