HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question about James Van Riemsdyk

Old
05-12-2009, 01:58 PM
IrishSniper87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
Not only into the NHL...

He handed the keys to the castle over to those two. And, they promptly turned it into a frat house.
And promtly put up 80 pts each at the age of 24.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 02:11 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Not only into the NHL...

He handed the keys to the castle over to those two. And, they promptly turned it into a frat house.
Funny, neither age not attitude have been a problem in this frat house setting: http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/co...yne&id=4160294

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Funny, neither age not attitude have been a problem in this frat house setting: http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/co...yne&id=4160294
It's not reasonable to compare Chicago's scrappy, resilient, earnest kids to the Flyers' jaded, complacent bros.

The only comparison is that their core is composed of young North Americans. Their attitude is something entirely different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
And promtly put up 80 pts each at the age of 24.
That's as impressive as it is arbitrary.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:25 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
It's not reasonable to compare Chicago's scrappy, resilient, earnest kids to the Flyers' jaded, complacent bros.

The only comparison is that their core is composed of young North Americans. Their attitude is something entirely different.

Jaded and complacent bros who made the ECF last year.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Jester

Quote:

Or, perhaps, the comparison should be a very young team with a young North American nucleus and a legit NHL coach that has experience in this league and is demanding an "entirely different" attitude from them.

Of course, a central premise to your argument is that the Flyers team is "jaded" (really...simply a bizarre word choice) and "complacent," which can be debated. Were they jaded and complacent last year when they went to the ECF?

Quote:
It's a positive return...not exactly "arbitrary." If they were scoring 20 points a year and partying, it would be a completely different story you'd be telling right now. Like, whether we should draft Tavares or Hedman.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Were they jaded and complacent last year when they went to the ECF?
No, I didn't think so.

I believe the presence of guys like Jason Smith, Sami Kapanen and Derian Hatcher helped prevent that sort of environment.

This is truly Mike Richards' team more than it's ever been.

Quote:
If they were scoring 20 points a year and partying, it would be a completely different story you'd be telling right now.
To be fair, I don't think that's true.

Or at least, not entirely. (When on the ice, is this an ass-busting, desperation, snake-bitten, playing-hurt 20 points? Or, a "who gives a ****" 20 points?)

To the point, my "fratboy" accusation is an off-ice issue entirely, starting after Paul Holmgren's "it is a big deal" statement. (http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=632496)

Actually, I'm completely lying. Regardless of how much effort went into Richards' hypothetical 20 points, I would probably knock him as a loser. I can imagine myself saying something like, "Richards is a shiftless loser who's indifference off-ice is finally bleeding into his on-ice performance. Ha ha! I am vindicated."

But, in my defense, so would a lot of people. Being intellectually dishonest feels good.

Old
05-12-2009, 06:29 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
To the point, my "fratboy" accusation is an off-ice issue entirely, starting after Paul Holmgren's "it is a big deal" statement. (http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=632496)
That's the point. It's an entirely off-ice issue. Whether or not they like to go out, get new haircuts, and drink Jager bombs has no effect on what happens on the ice, because apparently Chicago just dispatched the NHL's hottest team with the same attitude and became the first team into the final four.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
That's the point. It's an entirely off-ice issue. Whether or not they like to go out, get new haircuts, and drink Jager bombs has no effect on what happens on the ice, because apparently Chicago just dispatched the NHL's hottest team with the same attitude and became the first team into the final four.
My board theatrics indicate that I care more about the Flyers' personal lives than I actually do.

Regardless of their lifestyle, I just want them to show that it matters to them when they're performing badly. And, as they skidded towards mediocrity down the stretch, I don't feel like there was any genuine sense of urgency.

I don't watch enough Blackhawks post-game interviews to know if there's a comparable indifference after losses.

That's it.

Old
05-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Jester

Quote:
My board theatrics indicate that I care more about the Flyers' personal lives than I actually do.

Regardless of their lifestyle, I just want them to show that it matters to them when they're performing badly. And, as they skidded towards mediocrity down the stretch, I don't feel like there was any genuine sense of urgency.

I don't watch enough Blackhawks post-game interviews to know if there's a comparable indifference after losses.

That's it.
But why does this shock you...it was the EXACT same thing last year. Which is why some of Paul Holmgren's comments down the stretch smacked of a complete disconnect with reality of his team over the 2+ seasons he's been the GM. Last year they went to the ECF with the same fluttering finish...they just had to turn it on a bit before the playoffs because they'd lost 10 in a row during the season and didn't have any cushion on a playoff spot.

Mike Richards is not a fire and brimstone captain...that much is clear. However, that doesn't need to be a bad thing. The problem is that there is no top-down demand for the details of the game, which comes from the coach...not the captain -- especially when your captain isn't even 25 yet. Scott Hartnell is a prime example -- and I am a big supporter of his and think he's necessary for this club. WTF is John Stevens doing there? Hartnell goes out and takes dumb penalty after dumb penalty throughout the course of the year...and there are no consequences. Hartnell should have watched a few games from the press box during the season after some of his stupider moves.

These guys partying is not the problem with this team. The problems with this team have nothing to do with whether or not they are hanging out in a bar in Olde City or whatever else. I very much doubt Hartnell -- who is married and presumably not out with that crowd at those parties -- is taking dumb penalties because of the drink the night before. He's taking them because he plays a bit reckless and no one is demanding that he tone down the stupid a bit if he wants to be on the ice.

Old
05-12-2009, 11:19 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
But why does this shock you...it was the EXACT same thing last year. Which is why some of Paul Holmgren's comments down the stretch smacked of a complete disconnect with reality of his team over the 2+ seasons he's been the GM. Last year they went to the ECF with the same fluttering finish...they just had to turn it on a bit before the playoffs because they'd lost 10 in a row during the season and didn't have any cushion on a playoff spot.
Fact is, it's always been like this for the past 8 to 10 seasons in Philadelphia. It's not just the past 2 seasons where they've stumbled down the stretch. They've done it for years and years. This shouldn't be a surprise to nobody. I think the fact that it's gone on for so long and nobody in the organization has said anything about it seems to be an attitude that permeates throughout the franchise. Once again, if they had a different set of eyes looking over the team instead of in house friends, I think there'd be a completely different result on the ice.

Quote:
Mike Richards is not a fire and brimstone captain...that much is clear. However, that doesn't need to be a bad thing. The problem is that there is no top-down demand for the details of the game, which comes from the coach...not the captain -- especially when your captain isn't even 25 yet. Scott Hartnell is a prime example -- and I am a big supporter of his and think he's necessary for this club. WTF is John Stevens doing there? Hartnell goes out and takes dumb penalty after dumb penalty throughout the course of the year...and there are no consequences. Hartnell should have watched a few games from the press box during the season after some of his stupider moves.
I'm with you on the fire and brimstone leaders. They aren't needed. A leader is someone who is going to hold himself and others accountable for their actions. The fact that Richards has spoken out against coaches and a GM who mismanaged the cap is a sign that he's not afraid to speak what's on his mind. I can dig it. He's also not afraid to call himself out on his poor play and he made no excuses about being injured and losing in the opening round to Pittsburgh. Mike's going to be fine. As for Hartnell, it's easy to blame the coach for not reigning Hartnell in, but let's be serious for a moment. Scott Hartnell has been in the league for how long now? At what point is Hartnell not responsible for his own actions? Seriously, as much flack as Stevens deserves, let's at least not let Hartnell walk for making mistakes and the coach not punishing him. And if I remember correctly, didn't Stevens sit Hartnell for two periods in a game against the Islanders?

Quote:
These guys partying is not the problem with this team. The problems with this team have nothing to do with whether or not they are hanging out in a bar in Olde City or whatever else. I very much doubt Hartnell -- who is married and presumably not out with that crowd at those parties -- is taking dumb penalties because of the drink the night before. He's taking them because he plays a bit reckless and no one is demanding that he tone down the stupid a bit if he wants to be on the ice.
Agreed about the partying bit. I'd be worried if these guys didn't go out on the town. They're young guys, they're millionaires and they're in a city full of beautiful women. I know if I were there, I'd be tail chasing all the time. Fact is, these guys know where the line is between the partying and getting down to business. I think the fact that both Carter and Richards played with injured shoulders in the opening round displays their commitment to the team.

I said this in another posting, and I really mean it. The only thing this team needs is a veteran or two who's won the Cup (recently) and can kind of keep the guys focused and in line. I think a guy like Travis Moen or Sami Pahlsson would do wonders here. Look at how the guys in Chicago have really reacted to Pahlsson's presence in the locker room. I think someone like Pahlsson or Moen or a Kirk Maltby, Kris Draper, etc....would have that kind of effect here as well.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
As for Hartnell, it's easy to blame the coach for not reigning Hartnell in, but let's be serious for a moment. Scott Hartnell has been in the league for how long now? At what point is Hartnell not responsible for his own actions? Seriously, as much flack as Stevens deserves, let's at least not let Hartnell walk for making mistakes and the coach not punishing him. And if I remember correctly, didn't Stevens sit Hartnell for two periods in a game against the Islanders?
He sat him for "lack of effort" or something asinine. And if it was for being dumb, then the message did not get through and it was never really sent with any real force. Fact of the matter is that the year before Stevens publicly berated Upshall after a game in Toronto and DID send him to the press box. People can say what they want about Upshall, but he's FAR from the recklessly stupid side of Hartnell when he decides he wants to run into a goalie for whatever reason and everything else.

So, yes, Hartnell is responsible for what he does out there...but ultimately you have a coach to impose discipline and make that responsibility clear. Hartnell led the league in minor penalties. The year before Briere took hooking and interference infractions at an unbelievable rate...then there's Knuble Knubling PPs on a regular basis. Impose discipline. If players are too dumb to keep their sticks off of opposing players, then they don't deserve top line minutes. If they still are going to the box, they deserve to watch a couple of games and think about their misdeeds.

This team lacks discipline. It lacks discipline in taking penalties. It lacks discipline in its neutral zone play. It lacks discipline in its breakouts and defensive zone responsibility -- seriously, do the forwards think defenseman can complete goal line to far blue line passes on a regular basis? The job of the coach is to instill discipline and enforce it when people go outside the lines of the team.

That's on Stevens. Hartnell leading the league in minor penalties is on Stevens. If he won't stop himself...you stop it for him.

Old
05-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
He sat him for "lack of effort" or something asinine. And if it was for being dumb, then the message did not get through and it was never really sent with any real force. Fact of the matter is that the year before Stevens publicly berated Upshall after a game in Toronto and DID send him to the press box. People can say what they want about Upshall, but he's FAR from the recklessly stupid side of Hartnell when he decides he wants to run into a goalie for whatever reason and everything else.

So, yes, Hartnell is responsible for what he does out there...but ultimately you have a coach to impose discipline and make that responsibility clear. Hartnell led the league in minor penalties. The year before Briere took hooking and interference infractions at an unbelievable rate...then there's Knuble Knubling PPs on a regular basis. Impose discipline. If players are too dumb to keep their sticks off of opposing players, then they don't deserve top line minutes. If they still are going to the box, they deserve to watch a couple of games and think about their misdeeds.

This team lacks discipline. It lacks discipline in taking penalties. It lacks discipline in its neutral zone play. It lacks discipline in its breakouts and defensive zone responsibility -- seriously, do the forwards think defenseman can complete goal line to far blue line passes on a regular basis? The job of the coach is to instill discipline and enforce it when people go outside the lines of the team.

That's on Stevens. Hartnell leading the league in minor penalties is on Stevens. If he won't stop himself...you stop it for him.

I agree that discipline is a concern, and some of that is on their youth of the team and some of it is on the coaching, but most of it, IMO, is on the type team that the Flyers is and the way it is constructed... The team is and almost always has been one that is an envelope pushing team when it comes to rough play. Hartnell was targeted and gone after at great cost; he is the poster-boy of Snider play... One major problem from this play in this day and age is the often over the edge calling of perceived obstruction, whether it hampers a scoring chance or is incidental and has little to no bearing on actual play. The Flyers earned reputation compounds that in that they are given little leeway and are often called for expected infractions, even if they never actually occur... Inadequacies of the officials also adds to the call, and the Flyers get more in ratio with the bad calls also.

To be quite honest I could live with many of the calls that happen as a result of aggression that either goes over the line or tweaks the officials' nerves... But that is only to a point and I can't live with childish actions that cause minutes and/or added minutes. I have great concern with actions that cause calls to be made, such as not paying attention to who the officials are and the nature of the game being played.

Lazy penalties and undisciplined retaliatory calls have to be eliminated, that is a fact... Borderline calls, on PPs and in the O-zone, will occur and that is the price a team plays at times when they are aggressive on offense -- Hartnell's goalie interference calls that he gets, often that others get away with... and that inane call on Knuble on the late game supposed crosscheck and ensuing act of dropping like a sack of potatoes are ones that I really can't fault the players very much -- And there are always those phantom calls like the holding call that led to the OT on Carter and the many trips where the sticks never make contact (Richards) that are a disgrace... but they happen against all teams when the officials have their heads up their arses, which is quite too often nowadays.

All that being said, I do have concern when the penalty killers are their best players and are taxed greatly... Richards, Carter and Timonen have to be spelled more and used less in games where there are more PKs... But in the end I agree that discipline has to be instilled to reduce asinine calls like the one that Carcillo received for spouting off at the Ref. Hartnell has to be aggressive but lessen the crossing of the line ones. Knuble has to keep being aggressive in setting up his position, but try more to do so without negating the PP... But I can live with the aggression calls and the ones where they save a goal, if they can reduce or eliminate the ones from laziness, tantrums and stop putting themselves in the situation that requires that game saving penalty.

In the end though, as long as Snider is at the helm, the Flyers will always be the type team that has the Hartnells of the World... the players that play on the edge. I don't believe that any coach can entirely eliminate that when the horses given him are prone to that sort of play, and in fact are obtained because they play with that edge. I do think that with age, smartness comes... Even with all those NHL years, Hartnell is still quite young. He will learn what he can and can't do in his game, and find ways of doing it without the calls. He will also at some point get the respect of the League and gain some leeway from some of the officials that allow him to get away with what he once was getting whistled for often. That has been the case with many such players over the years in the NHL.

To Stevens defense, I have seen him demote players to lower lines for a few shifts and promoted others... he has taken minutes away from players in certain games. It is not like Stevens is not doing anything along those lines. But if he is to have a team that if much more disciplined, he will have to be given different style players, IMO. I could live with some more wiley veterans to mentor the kids on how to play better with an edge though, if the Cap allows.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
To Stevens defense, I have seen him demote players to lower lines for a few shifts and promoted others... he has taken minutes away from players in certain games. It is not like Stevens is not doing anything along those lines. But if he is to have a team that if much more disciplined, he will have to be given different style players, IMO. I could live with some more wiley veterans to mentor the kids on how to play better with an edge though, if the Cap allows.
Stevens is a bully. Pay attention to who gets singled out and who does not get singled out. Upshall, Downie...they get blasted publicly last year. Never mind the Briere had 68 PIM, the majority of which were the unnecessary, non-physical 2 min variety. You know, the type that you avoid if you have a little bit of discipline with your stick.

Hartnell is going to take penalties...I have no problem with him taking the occasional goalie interference, roughing, etc. penalties, but if he is going to LEAD THE LEAGUE in minor penalties, he can't be on Jeff Carter's line...that's too many penalties.

Old
05-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Stevens is a bully. Pay attention to who gets singled out and who does not get singled out. Upshall, Downie...they get blasted publicly last year. Never mind the Briere had 68 PIM, the majority of which were the unnecessary, non-physical 2 min variety. You know, the type that you avoid if you have a little bit of discipline with your stick.

Hartnell is going to take penalties...I have no problem with him taking the occasional goalie interference, roughing, etc. penalties, but if he is going to LEAD THE LEAGUE in minor penalties, he can't be on Jeff Carter's line...that's too many penalties.
I don't know about his being a bully, but I will agree that he handles different players in different manners... And in my eyes that is not unusual, nor wrong. Different players respond to different discipline, and the reactions to various forms are either productive or counter-productive. I would guess that the greatest coaches in all sports are the ones that learn and understand how to apply the proper corrections at the right times.

Knuble is a player that I have noticed being corrected with periodic demotions for a couple to few shifts -- I'm sure I notice this with Knuble mostly due to my being a huge fan of his and it is easier for me to detect... and there are other players treated the same way; there are many in-game temporary line changes -- It is often passed off as ways to get the lines rolling, but I seriously have my doubts on many occasions; those usually are for longer stretches and more players are involved.

Some players are reactive to subtle moves, some need bricks dropped on their heads... The temporary demotions for Knuble and the much harsher methods with others... The in-game benching of Hartnell, while bringing to our attention, was a very harsh stance with him -- much harsher in my mind than it was made out to be at the time and thereafter -- Upshall's benching was blatant, and Unberger's announced postseason demotion worked quickly and perfectly... Downie I feel was a case where there was much more going on behind the scenes than we will ever know... Lupul has been yanked around at times during the season as well.

Stevens also does reverse moves such as Asham moving up with Richards and Gagne for a few shifts and Metropolit also had a few bones thrown him while here, when it was called for... Powe had been given increased minutes in added roles as the season progressed and he showed he deserved it, and when it helped spell Richards on the PK.

I do find it odd that you should call Stevens a bully -- not arguing the point here though -- when so many others have called him a soft and too passive coach who tends to rule with favoritism and does not crack down on players hardly at all... I find Stevens to be a cerebral coach who handles different situations through different demeanors as required, and keeps most of it beneath a cool shell and behind the closed doors of the Room. I think he has a high end future -- maybe down the line after he has overstayed his time here, as all coaches eventually do -- but he is still in need of much learning and maturation in the coaching ranks.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 05-13-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old
05-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Jester

Quote:
I do find it odd that you should call Stevens a bully -- not arguing the point here though -- when so many others have called him a soft and too passive coach who tends to rule with favoritism and does not crack down on players hardly at all... I find Stevens to be a cerebral coach who handles different situations through different demeanors as required, and keeps most of it beneath a cool shell and behind the closed doors of the Room. I think he has a high end future -- maybe down the line after he has overstayed his time here, as all coaches eventually do -- but he is still in need of much learning and maturation in the coaching ranks.
I call him a bully because he has a propensity to go after the marginal players on the team and do nothing about the guys that are central to the team. Publicly lambasting guys like Upshall and particularly Downie last year was simply disturbing given the stupidity some of our veterans were and have continued to engage in.

Bullies don't pick on the strong...they pick on the weak.

They also have favorites.

I find it bizarre that you would see him as cerebral...he seems alarmingly monotone. After every loss he says the exact same mantra of canned coach statements. His demeanor on the bench is predictable down to his facial expression from moment to moment. Hitchcock is a cerebral coach (quite literally playing mind games with his players)...John Stevens is nowhere near being on that level.

Old
05-13-2009, 10:42 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
I call him a bully because he has a propensity to go after the marginal players on the team and do nothing about the guys that are central to the team. Publicly lambasting guys like Upshall and particularly Downie last year was simply disturbing given the stupidity some of our veterans were and have continued to engage in.

I find it bizarre that you would see him as cerebral...he seems alarmingly monotone. After every loss he says the exact same mantra of canned coach statements. His demeanor on the bench is predictable down to his facial expression from moment to moment. Hitchcock is a cerebral coach (quite literally playing mind games with his players)...John Stevens is nowhere near being on that level.
Come on, Hitch had his favourites as well. Every coach has favourites. And if I remember correctly, Hitch always went after the younger players. I don't ever remember him going after a guy like Roenick or Desjardins or Primeau or anyone like that.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 10:50 PM
Jester

Quote:
Come on, Hitch had his favourites as well. Every coach has favourites. And if I remember correctly, Hitch always went after the younger players. I don't ever remember him going after a guy like Roenick or Desjardins or Primeau or anyone like that.
What did Roenick, Rico, and Primeau do to go after?

BTW, Brett Hull would like to talk to you about his experience when he showed up in Dallas...as the star offseason pickup, no less. Hitch broke him.

Hitch leans heavily on his best players...in Philly, the guys you just named. John Stevens has appeared to carry a soft spot for any player that happened to play on his Phantoms squads...giving them minutes and starts when it did not appear they deserved them. Whereas guys outside that group have had a hard time getting the benefit of the doubt.

Old
05-13-2009, 11:33 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:

I see your bully rational... can't say I fully agree, but I'm following you. As I stated, I see him treating different players differently... as needed. And I think he does give the veteran more leeway and respect; that is not uncommon in sports... And I believe that players who have been around, and have earned it, should not be lambasted or disrespected in public -- not that anyone should be either, just more respect and less calling out for respected vets -- And from his first year I have said that he does favor his Phantoms boys who won the Calder with him... including Carter and Richards... but I have seen that comfort zone being phased out, with his favorites extending beyond the Calder guys.

By cerebral I wasn't speaking of the Hitchcock lecturing and mind games type... I was speaking of the kind that is displayed in thinking out matters and acting on them in a planned correction rather than being verbose on the bench and being dramatic in the press conference.

As for his canned coaching mantra statements; I am one who believes that management should ride the party bus and weigh their words and speak what should be said to accomplish the goal... What he says to the Media and what he says to management and in the Room is I'm quite sure two different things... and sometimes I'm positive it is opposites. I have no problem with that... Andy Reid is a master of it and has been doing his job for over a decade, and with much success -- no matter what people would have us believe.

... And BTW, it may not have been convey properly, but I wasn't trying to be a wise arse in my statement about your beliefs being what I believed to be contrary to what others complain about in regards to Stevens... I was actually being complimentary in your not being in the mob in your criticism of him, having your own spin -- that said, I did read you wrong in your bully remark... but that doesn't make me retract my attempted compliment.

Old
05-13-2009, 11:38 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:

He was the one that made Clarke make deals to rid of players who he believed couldn't play 'his system'... He was the reason we lost Sharp -- the bad return was on Clarke though.

And he did in fact love Primeau and counted on him to be his cushion with the players... When Primeau was gone, so was his cushion and ultimately his job... IMO.

Old
05-13-2009, 11:45 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
What did Roenick, Rico, and Primeau do to go after?

BTW, Brett Hull would like to talk to you about his experience when he showed up in Dallas...as the star offseason pickup, no less. Hitch broke him.

Hitch leans heavily on his best players...in Philly, the guys you just named. John Stevens has appeared to carry a soft spot for any player that happened to play on his Phantoms squads...giving them minutes and starts when it did not appear they deserved them. Whereas guys outside that group have had a hard time getting the benefit of the doubt.
But his Phantoms guys were winners... but he did give some of them a boost up in their progression -- but so did Clarke in his counting on many of them to bridge into the 'New' NHL.. a mistake in my mind.

Stevens now has given Biron the benefits of the doubt over his boy Nitty... to a point now where some would bash him for not giving Nitty a chance to grab the #1 job. I think Stevens has now left his comfort zone, as he matures in the job.

Old
05-14-2009, 12:03 AM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

Thread officially derailed.

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 12:38 AM
Joey Mac

I'm glad he decided to turn pro so we wouldn't have to worry abt questions... There's no reason for him to be rushed cuz turris was rushed it didn't turn out the way the yotes wanted it to be... Hemight get a call up but if not I wouldn't b upset at all

Joey Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 12:39 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCannon View Post
Thread officially derailed.

Being new here, I'm not sure how a thread that has morphed through a natural progression is handled... It is nowhere near the JvR question which initiated the thread... but it has, at least in my mind, been interesting and has led into a decent hockey discussion on other fronts.

You say "officially derailed"... Is that a call to end it? Is it wrong to discuss off topic if it has interest for at least a couple people? -- honest question -- I'm used to other sites where threads weave here and there until they die naturally... I will do whatever is the proper thing is, no questions asked.

Old
05-14-2009, 05:39 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Being new here, I'm not sure how a thread that has morphed through a natural progression is handled... It is nowhere near the JvR question which initiated the thread... but it has, at least in my mind, been interesting and has led into a decent hockey discussion on other fronts.

You say "officially derailed"... Is that a call to end it? Is it wrong to discuss off topic if it has interest for at least a couple people? -- honest question -- I'm used to other sites where threads weave here and there until they die naturally... I will do whatever is the proper thing is, no questions asked.
Most threads become derailed, but it's usually with childish BS. The fact that this thread turned into another hockey discussion is rare and welcome (at least to me).

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 10:07 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
This is truly Mike Richards' team more than it's ever been.
Ouch!

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote