HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kyle Turris

Old
05-11-2009, 05:22 PM
leafers

vCash: 500
Kyle Turris

Hey guys,

I was just wondering how Turris did this season.
I know that he didnt exactly lit it up, but he is only 19 years old.

What is his projection and what player is he similar to?

thanks in advance

leafers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 05:47 PM
AZCOYOT

I expected a whole lot more, he didn't have the confidence that a guy like Boedker had but it developed after he returned from the AHL. He needs to build mass, and have the confidence to compete hard every night. He's got the natural talent for it

AZCOYOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Do you guys feel like some of your top prospects might of been rushed this year?

Woodman19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 06:05 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

He did not belong in the NHL, last season. He was not ready. Apart from very few and far between brilliant flashes of talent, all he was really able to show was that he did not belong in the NHL. Honestly, it would be extremely difficult for anyone to come up with any kind of projection or comparison based on this year's performance. Most of the time he was overwhelmed and most of the time he looked it. So, at this point, it would be really impossible get a proper read on him. I trust our scouting staff, and was very, very impressed by Turris during his days as an amateur. Also, common sense would indicate that as he grows physically and matures mentally, while gaining experience at this level, that his play should improve dramatically. To what extent, I can only guess. My guess, though, would be that he will be a top line center, someday. A responsible, smart player that does pretty much everything well, and has the ability to score a bunch of goals. Then again, we didn't really see a whole lot of that, last season.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 06:13 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Do you guys feel like some of your top prospects might of been rushed this year?
Turris should've stayed at Wisonsin. I don't think anyone could argue that.

Tikhonov was definitely ready, IMO. He was tremmendous defensively. He still has a lot to get used to and learn with regards to his offense and the North American game. However, he was never going to learn that, without first coming over.

Boedker could've played another year of junior and probably not have been any better or any worse for it. Kitchener went through a lot of changes and Mikkel was physically ready for the NHL, so at the time, it seemed like a good idea to everybody to go ahead and give him the chance to make the jump. It wasn't exactly brilliant rookie season but it wasn't exactly a failure, either. I think he learned a lot, and I don't think he lost any confidence in the process. He probably didn't gain the confidence he would've by dominating the OHL, but he probably wouldn't have learned a whole lot in doing so, either. So, to me, that one is a wash.

Kevin Porter earned a spot and eventually lost it. He's a young player, and there is no shame in that. He certainly wasn't rushed, and I still think he'll be a solid NHLer. Certainly not any less solid because he made the team out of camp, and probably not any less solid because he finished the season in the AHL.

Old
05-11-2009, 06:23 PM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
I think it was best for Boedker to play in the NHL this year. I don't think he would have been served too well by being the man on a bad Kitchener team. If it was a much better team that could have gone deep into the playoffs then maybe, but for the most part I felt that he was physically ready, he just needed experience and what better place to get NHL experience than the NHL?

k1llua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 06:25 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llua View Post
I think it was best for Boedker to play in the NHL this year. I don't think he would have been served too well by being the man on a bad Kitchener team. If it was a much better team that could have gone deep into the playoffs then maybe, but for the most part I felt that he was physically ready, he just needed experience and what better place to get NHL experience than the NHL?
Yeah, if DeBoer stayed on, I might have felt a little differently, but it really did look like it was time for Boedker to move on, as well. I doubt anyone in Boedker's camp or in the organization regrets the decision. Turris, on the other hand...

Old
05-11-2009, 06:31 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

I think it was generally good for Boedker to play in the NHL this season. He definitely hit the wall somewhere along the line with his production and impact dropping in the second half of the season, yet most new players go through that anyways. Didn't see any harm in letting him experience that this season rather than delaying it for a year.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 06:44 PM
CitizenCoyote

It's such a fine line. Should he have played another year of college? Yes, absolutely.

But once that decision was made I don't think it was a mistake to bring him up for the last few games of the season last year. And he looked pretty good in those games, to the extent you can get a read of anything in 3 games. Turns out it was a bit of a mirage.

It's hard to question him starting off the season on the big club either. That seemed like the right move. But if a mistake was made, I think it was in not sending him down sooner and keeping him there longer. It was apparent well before he was sent down that it was going to be a lost year. He just looked so slight out there -- a boy playing with men. It was obvious fairly quickly that all that would be accomplished keeping him up would be to reduce his ice time and hurt his confidence. He also seemed unready to compete in the faceoff circle, which is something that some more time in San Antonio could have helped.

CitizenCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 06:46 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyotesVisitor View Post
It's such a fine line. Should he have played another year of college? Yes, absolutely.

But once that decision was made I don't think it was a mistake to bring him up for the last few games of the season last year. And he looked pretty good in those games, to the extent you can get a read of anything in 3 games. Turns out it was a bit of a mirage.

It's hard to question him starting off the season on the big club either. That seemed like the right move. But if a mistake was made, I think it was in not sending him down sooner and keeping him there longer. It was apparent well before he was sent down that it was going to be a lost year. He just looked so slight out there -- a boy playing with men. It was obvious fairly quickly that all that would be accomplished keeping him up would be to reduce his ice time and hurt his confidence. He also seemed unready to compete in the faceoff circle, which is something that some more time in San Antonio could have helped.
I almost think they were just too scared to let the kid out of their sight. The AHL is a rough league. Probably more to do with egos, but just a thought I've had in the past, is all.

Old
05-16-2009, 08:47 PM
smokes lets go

is Turris expected to have a big break out this season? On the other hand, what happened with Peter Mueller this season? He had a great end to last season but when on a 20 goaless streak or something this year. Sophmore Slump? Lost Confidence?

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 09:00 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tavares View Post
is Turris expected to have a big break out this season? On the other hand, what happened with Peter Mueller this season? He had a great end to last season but when on a 20 goaless streak or something this year. Sophmore Slump? Lost Confidence?
Turris probably won't break out until the 2010-11 season; however, we should see his game breaking ability on a much more consistent basis than what we saw last year.

Mueller like a number of young players got too focused on lifting weights rather than doing the right type of off-season training. He added too much mass and lost his confidence. Some talk of moving Mueller back to center for the upcoming season.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 09:55 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Mueller was slow to begin with. He packed on a bunch of muscle and lost even more of what he didn't have. Like HBK said, this hurt his confidence. He got down on himself and it snowballed from there, as he also had to deal with the confidence issues seen frequently in second year players. Popularly known as the "sophomore slump", a player's second season is generally seen as a very difficult one. Unlike in your first year, rather than getting passes on your mistakes and getting big pats on the back for everything you do right, in your second year, you are expected to do the right things and your mistakes are no longer over looked. I would think this would be particularly hard for a player like Mueller. You see, Mueller isn't a particularly hard worker on the ice. He doesn't play with any fire, he doesn't back-check, he's soft along the boards, he's usually floating, and he's all too often guilty of standing around and watching. For a young player, who's confidence is already hurting, I expect it would be crushing to be called out on being at spectator or a passenger. I'm not saying with any certainty that he was called out, but I'd be shocked if he wasn't. He was easily the laziest Coyote on the ice, last season. There is just no way that escaped the attention of his teammates or his coaching staff.

Having said all of that, I think moving him back to center would be absolutely idiotic. The guy doesn't take care of his defensive assignments, he doesn't make his linemates better, he doesn't win faceoffs, and outside of a knack for getting into good scoring position, he doesn't seem to own a whole lot of hockey sense. To me, that makes him clearly a winger and clearly NOT a center.

To me, it looks like Mueller's whole game is to sort of disappear in the offensive zone, and then re-appear, out of nowhere, in perfect position to take a pass and burry it for a goal with his awesome shot. Sort of that Milan Hejduk quality of going unoticed until it's too late. He's also got the potential to have a Hejduk level, elite shot. Unlike the 'Duk, though, he's not a great skater, and even though he's much bigger, he's just as soft and gets pushed around just as easily. So basically, he looks like a much, much slower Milan Hejduk. That's pretty much how I see him ending up, at this point, anyway. He has plenty of time to prove me wrong, obviously. Not that a slower Hejduk would be all that bad of a fate. Give him a guy like Brayden Schenn, who can do all the hard work and backchecking as well as set him up with fantastic passes, and Mueller could potentially score truck load after truck load of goals in this league.

Old
05-17-2009, 01:52 PM
ducky

I think it is not unreasonable that Turris follows the prgression of Travis Zajac.

from TSN
Career Stats
Year Team League GP G A Pts +/- PIM SHOTS PCT
2008-09 New Jersey NHL 82 20 42 62 +33 29 185 10.81
2007-08 New Jersey NHL 82 14 20 34 -11 31 155 9.03
2006-07 New Jersey NHL 80 17 25 42 +1 16 134 12.69
2005-06 Albany AHL 2 0 1 1 -3 2 - -
2005-06 North Dakota WCHA 46 18 29 47 - 20 - -
2004-05 North Dakota WCHA 45 20 19 39 - 16 - -
2003-04 Salmon Arm BCHL 59 43 69 112 - 110 - -
2002-03 Salmon Arm BCHL 59 16 36 52 - 33 - -

The main issue is Phoenix definately rushed him...he should have played another year at Wisconsin. This past year probably cost Turris a year in his development. We have to be patient as he will likely not be a top 6 player until 2010/2011 season.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 02:01 PM
AZCOYOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tavares View Post
Mueller was very dissapointing but at the same time, he battle a concussion and built up strength and sacrificed speed during his off season work outs. Bad move.

He'll be back on track

AZCOYOT is offline   Reply With Quote