HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Game 7. Pittsburgh Penguins @ Washington Capitals. 5/13/2009. 7 PM. Verizon Center.

Old
05-13-2009, 09:28 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

vCash: 500
Here's to an epic 7-game series featuring the three best players on Earth.

Cheers, guys.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:30 PM
kmillzy5

thanks for a hard fought series. .

kmillzy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:31 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

better team at this point in time won the series.

I'm ok with that.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:31 PM
pgreene

i'm not sure if penguins fans actually know this, but no one here actually played in the series. so coming here to say "thanks for a hard fought well played series" is pretty stupid.

i suggest you try the main boards, since i hear the players read those.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:32 PM
Devil Dancer

I'm content. I've been watching this team for too long to ever really think they had a chance against Pittsburgh, regardless of who is wearing black and yellow. The good news is Varlamov emerged (even if he did slow), Ovechkin and Backstrom showed up throughout the playoffs, and I really believe Carlson and ALzner can be the missing pieces.

If the Caps can avoid the Pens in the future, there's a cup on the way.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:33 PM
dd7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDHockey View Post
Since we're going to lose this game, can we at least take a few Penguins with us?
this is not he nba dude

dd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:34 PM
dd7

good game guys we will see this match up alot more I am sure of that

dd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:34 PM
flappuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
Backstrom is the real deal.
Hockey fan here (no team in particular) and I knew Backstrom was good but he really impressed the hell out of me during the playoffs.

So calm with the puck and always seem to squeeze in those passes that don't seem possible.
If he can start shooting a bit more to keep the defense honest, he should be a 90+ points per season for his whole career.

I know the loss is dissapointing but you guys have a young exciting team that just needs some improvement on defense and you're good to make another run and go deeper.
Thanks to the Washington Capitals for some very exciting hockey

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:35 PM
pgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
What's your point? Is that supposed to hurt our feelings?
can we PLEASE...for the love of GOD...stop quoting these people?

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:36 PM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
i'm not sure if penguins fans actually know this, but no one here actually played in the series. so coming here to say "thanks for a hard fought well played series" is pretty stupid.

This is where I'm at right now too. If Semin and Green played the way they did earlier this season, we certainly would have stolen one of the first two games in Pittsburgh, and likely had the Pens on the way home by game 5 or 6. It was fun, I guess, but half the team just didn't show up.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:38 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Close it up.

Lloyd wants to go home.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:38 PM
trooper66

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post

Hey man, not all of the Pens have showed up for this series eather, It was a well faught series by both of the clubs.

trooper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:40 PM
The Consiglieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
Don't know what to say about this game.. I kept turning it off and back on again.

Great job by those fans with the standing O. BB should've sent out AO for one more flyby.. but I can see why he didn't.

What an empty feeling... It's hard to believe a grown man can feel like this after a damn hockey game.. I guess it's all about putting one foot in front of the other for the next couple of days..

But I want to thank the posters on this board -- for those of us who are out-of-town fans, it's the only place where one can feel a connection to the Caps. I know there are some very hardcore longtime fans here -- I really hope that AO and Co. will come back stronger than ever and deliver the results that your patience and support deserves.

Go Caps!!
Seconded, as a Caps fan from the bay area now living in Lake Tahoe (and viewer of three capitals defeats to the sharks in the sole 3 games Ive ever seen of the Caps). As for how to handle this. I can tell you, as a fan of a lot of dog patch teams that choke, when this disaster happens the best thing to do is read no sports sections and catch no espn for a few days. Then its totally forgotten and nobody is talking about it. That's the saving grace, and w/this being hockey, there isn't much coverage to begin with, and what coverage there is will decline significantly.

The Consiglieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:40 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Anybody got the phone number to Kettler? I'm thinking of calling over there to see if they knew there was a hockey game tonight.

Seriously, it was a pathetic display. The players couldn't be bothered to even finish their checks. I saw no pride on the ice today, and it was sickening. I hope they were just worn down, otherwise I'm pretty damned pissed that they didn't show up for the biggest game in years.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:44 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

One last note. I saw McPhee coming down the steps out of there on my way out. He was heading to the underneath of the building. He was MAD. real mad. which is unusual for a guy who plays it pretty straight. I said "Sorry McPhee, maybe next year". He said "Yeah, thanks" and walked on.

I know he's kicking himself for this one. I'm just wondering how he will infuse some vets in there. Right now there's not enough consistency, and I think veterans are a bit of what is needed.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:49 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Close it up.

Lloyd wants to go home.

Go ahead lloyd. I ordered some beers on room service.

I love my job.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:50 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Close it up.

Lloyd wants to go home.
It's a Faustian bargain with Lloyd anyway. He can't deliver the promised land.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:57 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Real crappy for Ovy...who still tried tonight...his team let him down and now it's 1-0 Sid. What a crime.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:58 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Anyone else have a white message board???

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:59 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
One last note. I saw McPhee coming down the steps out of there on my way out. He was heading to the underneath of the building. He was MAD. real mad. which is unusual for a guy who plays it pretty straight. I said "Sorry McPhee, maybe next year". He said "Yeah, thanks" and walked on.

I know he's kicking himself for this one. I'm just wondering how he will infuse some vets in there. Right now there's not enough consistency, and I think veterans are a bit of what is needed.
Hopefully Ted grew a pair and told him to pack his **** and get out.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 10:01 PM
The Consiglieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I'm content. I've been watching this team for too long to ever really think they had a chance against Pittsburgh, regardless of who is wearing black and yellow. The good news is Varlamov emerged (even if he did slow), Ovechkin and Backstrom showed up throughout the playoffs, and I really believe Carlson and ALzner can be the missing pieces.

If the Caps can avoid the Pens in the future, there's a cup on the way.
No doubt, it's why it makes me puke in my mouth when I read fans takes along the lines of "bring on the pens"! Really? Have you forgotten 1991-2001? Have you forgotten that our one moment of conference glory (and if Esa had any skill left maybe stanley cup glory) was totally a product of the 1-3 seeds INCLUDING THE PENGUINS, being swept right out of the playoffs to clear a path for the Caps to beat a bunch of 2nd rate eastern conference teams eleven years ago.

It's been 22 years and I still wake up in a cold sweat when I think about the Islanders rebuilding themselves, and seeing the caps stake themselves to a 3 games to 1 lead in any series against them. But the Penguins? Now other than the blip that was 1994, they have tortured us year after year after year, and yet some fans were crazy enough to yell to bring them on. Uggh, i know curses are a figment of the imagination, but I still believe in them until they are convincingly flushed (like the Red Sox did in '04), and we are absolutely cursed when it comes to the playoffs and 2 game series leads, particularly against the Penguins.

The saving grace in all this mess is that Varly played great for the most part and at times astonishingly well despite being under a virtual avalanche of attacks throughout the series. Add to that the play of Neuvy for the Bears and we seem well positioned at Goalie, a huge concern after Huet left just 10 months ago. Add to that Alzner and Carlson coming up to the big club soon, and we may address most of our core problems on D (are either of them particularly quick skaters?, I know Alzner is smooth and effortless, unsure on quickness and no zilch on Carlson beyond the raves about his overall game) over the next 18 months too.

There's a lot to be excited about it, but it is sickening to think that inspite of all the amazing things we have now, that have been developed, the whole rebuild being nearly complete, the team a legit power, despite all that, the &#I( Damn Curse still freaking holds! It makes me want to freaking scream. Roster turnover has happened 4 or 5 times since the damn curse started and it still doesn't matter. It's beyond frustrating, particularly with fans as arrogant and condescending and smug as so many Pens fans were in the opening thread (no offense, but that's the way it came across for me). Ughh, hopefully we can plug the holes, fix the problems, and flush this damn curse once and for all in the spring of '10 in the conference finals.

One last thing worth noting, just two+ weeks ago the Caps were a whisker away from humiliating themselves in embarrassing fashion against the horrid Rangers. A break here or there, and we might have already been nearly 3 weeks into offseason free agency and draft threads instead of where we are, exhausted and emotionally spent admittedly and heart broken, but at least the team showed tremendous guts in coming back to win 3 straight against the rangers and at least force a game seven against the Penguins.

Last edited by The Consiglieri: 05-13-2009 at 10:13 PM.
The Consiglieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I'm just wondering how he will infuse some vets in there. Right now there's not enough consistency, and I think veterans are a bit of what is needed.
But it's also about bringing in the right veterans that have enough left in the tank as well. Fedorov and Clark may have the character but they don't have enough in the tank to lead by example with great regularity anymore. Nylander doesn't fulfill either category and is just the big puzzle piece that doesn't fit (and wasn't really forced to under Boudreau to begin with). Fedorov was, of course, clutch in G7 vs. NYR but otherwise struggled to really find his comfort zone. He wasn't the only one that seemed to lack consistent chemistry with his teammates, though. That places the burden of leadership on the younger guys and they were still finding the limited time & space in playoff hockey a fairly strong challenge.

The defense needs a steady #2 that can step in and stabilize things. To do what Poti does on a more dominant scale. That and a better defensive coach that can teach the younger guys the finer points of positioning and boxing players out.

The bright side is Washington should be an attractive destination for free agents and so there shouldn't be a lack of interest if they do look at free agency as an avenue to fix certain areas. As long as it makes sense long-term from a cap perspective, McPhee should not be relegated to targeting the second tier UFAs (Kozlov, Poti, Pothier) any longer.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 10:07 PM
WharfRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper66 View Post
Hey man, not all of the Pens have showed up for this series eather, It was a well faught series by both of the clubs.
Got spelling?

WharfRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 10:09 PM
8BostonRocker24

Coming out of the lockout, 2 teams had the wrong plan... Washington and Boston. Both teams thought the cap would cause teams like Philadelphia to release high-end talent... What Boston and Washington didn't plan on was the 24% roll back, with so few players under contract both teams didn't benefit of the roll back.

Washington and Boston were both bottom-5 teams going into the 2006 draft. Washington was able to rebound quickly due to a high-end player in AO coming to them a few years earlier, Boston needed to sign two high-end UFAs in Chara and Savard.

As a Bruins fan, hats off to Washington for a very good year. This team is building and should be a force for the next 10 years.

Side Note: 4 of the top 5 picking teams in 2006: Pittsburgh, Washington, Boston and Chicago. All have rebuilt very quickly.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 10:16 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
Coming out of the lockout, 2 teams had the wrong plan... Washington and Boston. Both teams thought the cap would cause teams like Philadelphia to release high-end talent... What Boston and Washington didn't plan on was the 24% roll back, with so few players under contract both teams didn't benefit of the roll back.

Just another McPhee plan gone wrong. We were surely going to be able to come in and scoop up good talent for cheap.....yeah right.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote