HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 7. Pittsburgh Penguins @ Washington Capitals. 5/13/2009. 7 PM. Verizon Center.

Old
05-14-2009, 12:16 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

vCash: 500
3-1 with Brash in the playoffs. Tired legs after game 4 and 5 so close and game 6 was 3rd in 4 days. Not second guessing, it was obvious. Especially if it makes them dress goddard so they can't dress 7 d.

I can go on and on about ckecking, and pounding that pen d, and possession giving our d a break, and the pyschology of having the big man...

Or you can just dress a guy for 3 min per game.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 12:18 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Maybe we needed 9D, jeez. Green Poti and Erskine were probably all borderline. WRT to 7 D, i was perusing the pens board and they seemed up in arms with the 7 D move they did. Saying it disrupted thier D pairings and forward lines, the costs outweighed the benefits. But they were not the desperate ones, we were. I suspect Bruce thought he had 7 D already with Feds...

Part of what the 4th line does is get the forecheck going, hit the D, bring some energy, let the top line guys rest. Bruce changed up what he likes to do, roll four lines. He had no confidence in his 4th line. Not that Brash would have gotten 10 minutes, but maybe Brash Gordon Bradley may have, who knows.
I would have been fine with 12 skaters if they were actually playing them all. And I don't think Beagle was a liability on the ice in the shifts he got in this series. I agree with your earlier comments that Gordon is a player that likely could have been used more effectively and should have received more ice time in this series. (assuming he is not hurt.)

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 12:20 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

You can also add that if this team didn't have the urgency in the rags series that they couldve had it done in 5, then many of these injuries may not occur. Especially green's if he was aggrivated in game 7 hitting the wall in cc2010s avatar off zherdev's foot.

Also brash doesn't kill betts and get suspended.

But no. Go ahead and play like **** through a team you should handle and go play 7.

Old
05-14-2009, 12:22 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
I thought Brash had an excellent playoffs. Coming off a layoff, he stormed the net and made presence felt immediately. Then knocking out Betts was a large part of that first round series. Its politically incorrect to talk about, but part of hockey is pounding your opponent physically giving your team a better chance to win. Big Donald laid down the hammer and KO'd their stud PK guy, the heart and soul of what the rags bring. That was a huge play in the first round, and no I still dont think he did it deliberately. We got screwed by his suspension, again. He was fresh, he was hungry, a old school vet, and he was still 6'3 235. That goes a long ways in the playoffs.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 12:25 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
I would have been fine with 12 skaters if they were actually playing them all. And I don't think Beagle was a liability on the ice in the shifts he got in this series. I agree with your earlier comments that Gordon is a player that likely could have been used more effectively and should have received more ice time in this series. (assuming he is not hurt.)
Its cool you know about Gordon. I was burned out on him a few years back, but never forgot the high praise he got for his defensive efforts against Sid a year or two ago. Being our only tighty rightie in the dot, his role was even more important. Coming off an injury, you would have never known it. Sure he struggled in faceoffs early on (i figured his finger was tender), but he turned out to be a menace in the dot. Too bad that was all Bruce used him for.

Old
05-14-2009, 12:26 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
It was beagle in game 5 that blew his weakside D coverage as the strongside dman pinched in at the attacking blueline.
Allowed the play become a 2 on 1 for the first pens goal. But that was all I saw of him good or bad.

Old
05-14-2009, 12:28 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
It was beagle in game 5 that blew his weakside D coverage as the strongside dman pinched in at the attacking blueline.
Allowed the play become a 2 on 1 for the first pens goal. But that was all I saw of him good or bad.
its funny how everyone sees things different. I thought that Clark was in bad position turned his back on Sid who got behind him. IIRC Beagle played the body and with Juice stepping up, quickly became maybe the 3rd or 4th from fault on that minus. The remaining D man and Varly didnt help either.

Old
05-14-2009, 12:32 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Randy you're preaching to choir in your last two posts. Whatever is takes ie avatar. And I'm not for overly dirty plays, but hard hits sometimes go bad. Its better to be the bigger part of the collision.

On gordo, I said in game 5 thread that if we had two more players like him but with hands to play on wing we'd be serious contenders. Not only his faceoffs, but he is soooo good digging out pucks whether in our zone or theirs.
And he's very quick, fast, and tireless.

Old
05-14-2009, 12:34 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
I knew he was on the ice, may go back and watch, can't say I recall the specifics of that play, thanks, but I think you are talking about game 6? But that also brings up the point that was still an option to go a different route for game 7 (fwiw, my comments about options aren't knocking Beagle, but in the context of bench management/ TOI). Beagle dressed in 4 games with a total of 14 minutes 11 seconds (if I did my math correctly,) and that includes the 2:06 he skated late in the third tonight.

moving on...

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 12:35 AM
changeiskonstant

definitely a heartbreaker but as was said before, there's a lot of good to take out of this season. we matched/broke several franchise records, several players snagged team and even nhl records, and attendance records were shattered this season. i've been listening to so much **** from hockey fans down here in nc about how classless and bandwagon-y caps fans are (which is ironic in so many ways if you've lived w/ them for the past four years) but as a maryland native who grew up watching bondra, iafrate, hunter, konowalchuk, and co. at the capital center, stayed up way past my bedtime as a kid to see us fall to the islanders in ot in game 7, stepped out of the smoke circles at 16 to catch the 98 finals run (instead of vise versa) only to see us get swept by the wings, and now working double shifts just to get off to see ovie and co. in the playoffs it definitely sucks to see us come up short again. Disappointment aside tho, our core is young, and so much of our success is happening ahead of schedule. Seeing the "classless" "bandwagon" DC faithful stick around after a blowout in order to personally salute the caps was awesome to see even if it was a poor display in game 7. with most of the hockey world glaring down at this team from their high horses, that meant a lot to witness first hand. we still broke the 1st round curse, we went 5-1 ffs with our backs against the wall, and saw brilliance from a young goaltender who wasn't supposed to see nhl ice for another year. i can only hope varly knows that he wasn't expected to carry the team to the cup this year with those kinds of broken plays in front of him. and hopefully now that the season is over they'll give this kid a proper 21st birthday celebration. that said, congrats to the caps on another solid season, another fight in the playoffs, and much love to the classy dc faithful i've run into upon discovering hf boards. cheers boys.

except you nylander..

edit: sorry for no caps. as beers go in, punctuation and grammar go out.

Last edited by changeiskonstant: 05-14-2009 at 12:42 AM.
changeiskonstant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 12:35 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
its funny how everyone sees things different. I thought that Clark was in bad position turned his back on Sid who got behind him. IIRC Beagle played the body and with Juice stepping up, quickly became maybe the 3rd or 4th from fault on that minus. The remaining D man and Varly didnt help either.
Without the dvr I couldn't rewind and watch, but it was beagle that was too far forward and near the blueline when the puck was chipped. Then couldn't catchup.

At least I'll go to the grave believing that

Old
05-14-2009, 12:36 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

yeah i am pissed off, a broken record. Number 9, number 9, number 9.... peace all its been a great year. I am coming in from the ledge and going to bed. The laptop may not though, instead flying out the window like an old unused album out the easton hall dorm window at the end of the semester, many moons ago. About the time Pitt was first starting to get our number. Arg.

Old
05-14-2009, 12:46 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Yea I'm out. In hotel in baton rouge on a wasted business trip, I'm away from wife and daughter which sucks cause I'll be gone a lot. We close on house tomorrow so that's cool.
Also I did a good job of pulling money out of market on thurs and friday, but I should've done more.

Dammit!

Tired, drunk, stressd, and pissed the more I think about everything in my life today.

Old
05-14-2009, 12:48 AM
changeiskonstant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
The defense needs a steady #2 that can step in and stabilize things. To do what Poti does on a more dominant scale. That and a better defensive coach that can teach the younger guys the finer points of positioning and boxing players out.

The bright side is Washington should be an attractive destination for free agents and so there shouldn't be a lack of interest if they do look at free agency as an avenue to fix certain areas. As long as it makes sense long-term from a cap perspective, McPhee should not be relegated to targeting the second tier UFAs (Kozlov, Poti, Pothier) any longer.
This.

changeiskonstant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 01:00 AM
LadyIce

They were just awful in this game. I haven't seen as pathetic of a performance since the last game of the season when they failed to show up.

At least they finally admitted what we all knew - That Green was injured during the series. Hopefully they'll tell us more info since hiding injures doesn't matter any more.

I'm expecting to hear Semin was hurt too. Between missing practice and looking like he wanted to be anywhere but on the ice, it will be interesting to hear the list of injuries.

LadyIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 01:12 AM
SomeDude

I applaud you guys. Very hard fought series. There's one thing to take from this series, there's many future nailbiter pens vs caps series ahead down the road. Very good season, guys and girls.

SomeDude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 01:28 AM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyIce View Post
They were just awful in this game. I haven't seen as pathetic of a performance since the last game of the season when they failed to show up.

At least they finally admitted what we all knew - That Green was injured during the series. Hopefully they'll tell us more info since hiding injures doesn't matter any more.

I'm expecting to hear Semin was hurt too. Between missing practice and looking like he wanted to be anywhere but on the ice, it will be interesting to hear the list of injuries.
Semin had a broken foot.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 01:31 AM
mcvey

I'm just glad this game was over within 5 min of the second period so I could get some sleep before work.

Better luck next year boys. We'll be back, more experienced, with a better goalie, HOPEFULLY better defense and less dead weight. #1 in the conference doesn't seem that far away.

mcvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 01:31 AM
LadyIce

Quote:
You can also add that if this team didn't have the urgency in the rags series that they couldve had it done in 5, then many of these injuries may not occur. Especially green's if he was aggrivated in game 7 hitting the wall in cc2010s avatar off zherdev's foot.

Also brash doesn't kill betts and get suspended.

But no. Go ahead and play like **** through a team you should handle and go play 7.
Tarik was on Washington Post Live and said usually when a team has to go 7 games, even if they make it to the ECF and SCF, they're usually spent by the time they get there. The 7 game series takes too much out of you. They need to learn to finish a series in no more than 5 games.

Old
05-14-2009, 01:37 AM
Pick87your71Poison

Congrats on a classic series. Tonight had to be frustrating for you guys, but the series was great ,and while we were the better team this year, there will be many more playoff matchups over the years and you guys will only develop more with the experience.

Pick87your71Poison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 01:53 AM
mcvey

I'm just wondering if the refs take off their Pens jerseys for the next series or continue on trying to get Crosby a cup.

[/rant]

mcvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 02:10 AM
LadyIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
I'm just wondering if the refs take off their Pens jerseys for the next series or continue on trying to get Crosby a cup.

[/rant]
I think we know the answer to that. The Bruins or Canes will be playing 5 against 9 in the next round.

Old
05-14-2009, 04:56 AM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Quote:

[/rant]
Considering the NHL markets Ovechkin just as hard as they do Crosby this post fails really hard.

Though I'll admit that the Penguins got better officiating, it was partly due to the Pens being more disciplined and partly due to some horrible calls and non-calls.

[/troll]

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 07:54 AM
Hot Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by aislephive View Post
Considering the NHL markets Ovechkin just as hard as they do Crosby this post fails really hard.

Though I'll admit that the Penguins got better officiating, it was partly due to the Pens being more disciplined and partly due to some horrible calls and non-calls.

[/troll]
There's no question that Pittsburgh played much more disciplined hockey. You could tell who had been here before.

But...34-19? That's a bit strange. Although, I will be the first to admit that this team had plenty of chances to win games, bias or no.

Hot Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 08:09 AM
NYC427

Quote:

[/rant]

Oh please, be mature..you sound like a 8 year old kid right now arguing about his game..let's get real..I'm not even a Penguin fan nor a capitals fan..

NYC427 is offline   Reply With Quote