HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 7. Pittsburgh Penguins @ Washington Capitals. 5/13/2009. 7 PM. Verizon Center.

Old
05-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aislephive View Post
Considering the NHL markets Ovechkin just as hard as they do Crosby this post fails really hard.
Actually, no they don't. There is a difference between a broadcaster talking about Ovechkin and the league marketing the player. Crosby is the league poster boy and there is no secret here. Reason being, Crosby speaks fluent English, and is well... Crosby. The league has never aggressively marketed European players: Jagr, Bure, Lidstrom, Ovechkin, Malkin, etc. The New York office always latches onto the North American player. Look at vignettes on NHL Network, features on National broadcasts and such, and you will see the NHL is clearly pushing Crosby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aislephive View Post
Though I'll admit that the Penguins got better officiating, it was partly due to the Pens being more disciplined and partly due to some horrible calls and non-calls.
[/troll]
Yes, the Pens got better officiating. As they did against Philly, and will against their next opponent. The league is not fixing games, but they also have a vested interest in seeing Crosby and the Pens win a Stanley Cup. I will say this, outside of a few blatant non-calls, the Pens did play a rather disciplined series. My issue is not with the non-calls on the Pens as much as it is with the fluff calls on the Caps in key situations. There is definitely favoritism and that won't change anytime soon. All fans have to live with it, but let's not ignore it exists.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 09:34 AM
frasnap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerMann0809 View Post
Oh please, be mature..you sound like a 8 year old kid right now arguing about his game..let's get real..I'm not even a Penguin fan nor a capitals fan..
...then why are you here? I mean, I tend to agree, but the last thing fans of a team that just lost in the playoffs want is for fans of other teams to chide them for being "immature."

frasnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 09:34 AM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

I dont feel any better this morning .

You have to respect some of the guys that played through injuries during this series. I played a few games my senior year in college with a stress fracture in my foot, and it hurt like the dickens. I really respect Semin for playing with that type of injury. Same for Green, same for Ovie. They showed a tremendous amount of courage IMO.

TheFountainhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 10:11 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

You guys should be proud, great effort by your team. Great great great experience for the future, your young guys will keep you in the running for many years, especially Varlamov who deserves a ton of credit.

Good luck going forward Caps fans

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 10:11 AM
Hot Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegr8 View Post
I dont feel any better this morning .

You have to respect some of the guys that played through injuries during this series. I played a few games my senior year in college with a stress fracture in my foot, and it hurt like the dickens. I really respect Semin for playing with that type of injury. Same for Green, same for Ovie. They showed a tremendous amount of courage IMO.
Is that what it was? I know Poti had a busted foot, did Semin as well?

Hot Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 10:30 AM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Eric Fehr View Post
Is that what it was? I know Poti had a busted foot, did Semin as well?
Green had a bum shoulder, the same one he hurt in Anaheim. Tom Poti had a broken foot, which he suffered in Game 1 of this series. Ovechkin was battling a groin injury. Alexander Semin was also hurt, though I'm not certain of his injury. I did hear, however, that the injury likely would have sidelined him in the regular season.

I misread the post (posted before I had any caffeine in my system.) It was Poti with the broken foot, but Semin was also hampered by a relatively serious injury apparently.

Old
05-14-2009, 10:33 AM
Hot Carlson

Yeah, probably the wrist. Like Green, he passed on quite a few shots that he really should have taken.

Old
05-14-2009, 10:38 AM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

[QUOTE=Free Eric Fehr;19562558]Yeah, probably the wrist. Like Green, he passed on quite a few shots that he really should have taken.[/QUOTE]

I was more disappointed with Semin's refusal to battle for the puck in the corners in an elimination game. A serious wrist injury would go a long way to explaining the reason for his less than enthusiastic approach to that vitaly important aspect of the game.

It was just a tough series for Greener. I know how disappointed he must be in his performance this round, but he'll be back. We'll be back.

Old
05-14-2009, 10:55 AM
ZacUSNYR

Great job to the Caps for providing two very entertaining 7 game series.

I'm a Rangers fan and was rooting against the caps in both games - but great respect is deserved by the Capitals. The way that team has been playing they deserve a cup.

ZacUSNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 11:48 AM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegr8 View Post
I misread the post (posted before I had any caffeine in my system.) It was Poti with the broken foot, but Semin was also hampered by a relatively serious injury apparently.
Article on nhl.com said Semin had a broken foot.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 11:54 AM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar View Post
I thought that I had read it somewhere. I couldnt find it when I searched for it to post as a reply to Free Eric's post, so I figured I'd misread one of Tarik's postings (Ive been up since about 4 am.) Good catch.

Old
05-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

...i still feel like somebody kicked me in the balls...

Last edited by Vladiator16: 05-15-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 01:21 PM
NYC427

Quote:
Originally Posted by frasnap View Post
...then why are you here? I mean, I tend to agree, but the last thing fans of a team that just lost in the playoffs want is for fans of other teams to chide them for being "immature."
I dont really care to tell you the truth.

NYC427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 01:31 PM
C77

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyIce View Post
I think we know the answer to that. The Bruins or Canes will be playing 5 against 9 in the next round.
don't remind us

Not a single minor penalty called on the Pens last night. Yea they outplayed the Caps but....are we really supposed to believe that Pittsburgh did not even commit one penalty in the whole game?

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 01:35 PM
WcRoenick97

Man this loss certainly took the wind out of the sails early. That Fleury save..ugh. Oh well, I'll be bummed about this loss for a while but we have a young team and should be back better next season with hopefully a better D and a RW that can muck it up. Stepping stones.

WcRoenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 01:38 PM
jagrgodr

The thing that hurt the most was never getting a penalty in game 7, i was waiting all game for one. I honestly do not recall seeing any penalties that should have been called in the 2nd and 3rd, the caps looked dead out there. Passes were going to pens players half the time, they were not hustling into the boards for the puck at all, on offense or defense and they all just looked tired. Its a shame but they just played horrible once they went down 2-0, they were just stunned.

It was a really fun year watching the caps, ovechkin was awesome and there are alot of good things to look forward to next season, hopefully Varly will pan out and be our starter for years.

I knew going into this series the caps were going to have to be amazing battling against the ref favored pens. Teams can beat them but its hard because i really think the refs favor the pens, its really crazy.

jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 01:45 PM
macros73

Great series. The Capitals are definitely head and shoulders above the Flyers as a team, and with a better coach they could make the conference finals next year. Your players are skilled, but B.B. is a buffoon who needs given his walking papers. Injuries indeed. Injuries don't explain all the mental mistakes made by Green and others, and it's the job of the coach to make sure his players are either ready mentally or warming the bench.

As for the "Great Officiating Conspiracy" - I guess it's healthier solace for your loss than a whiskey bottle, so have at it. When Ovechkin can charge and slewfoot with impunity, Capitals fans have no place complaining about the officiating.

macros73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 03:31 PM
LadyIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
don't remind us

Not a single minor penalty called on the Pens last night. Yea they outplayed the Caps but....are we really supposed to believe that Pittsburgh did not even commit one penalty in the whole game?
On the post game radio show they said it was the first time in Caps playoff history that they went without at least one power play.

LadyIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Amanda71

Send a message via MSN to Amanda71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar View Post
Ugh, I don't see how these guys play like that! I cry if I stub my toe, I can't imagine playing with a broken foot!

Big props to Semin, Poti, Green, Ovie, and all the other guys playing with injuries.

Amanda71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 04:14 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Ratings news from last night....from dcrtv.net

Quote:
Comcast SportsNet's Wednesday night Capitals loss in playoff Game 7 got a 5.5 rating among men age 18-49 in the DC market. Beating even "Idol" in the demo. The game did a 3.4 rating in the demo in Baltimore, beating an Orioles game on MASN.

Also, CSN earned a 5.3 average household rating in DC with Game 6 on Monday. The Baltimore area chocked up a 3.4. That broadcast peaked at 238,000 households at 9:45 PM - to see the Capitals win in overtime. For the target demo of men age 18-49, Game 6 received a 6.0 rating and peaked with a 9.1.....

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Hot Carlson

Very nice.

Old
05-14-2009, 04:37 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacUSNYR View Post
Great job to the Caps for providing two very entertaining 7 game series.

I'm a Rangers fan and was rooting against the caps in both games - but great respect is deserved by the Capitals. The way that team has been playing they deserve a cup.
How do you figure that?

They pay no respect to the game from the redline back.

The Great 8 can hardly be bothered to make it back to his zone, let alone compete for the puck.

When their best player doesn't buy into doing the things that it takes to win, and a coach who clearly has no control over his best player, all they deserve to get is early round playoff exits...which is exactly what they got.

Until Boudreau realizes this, they will never win a thing. Problem is, the horses are out of the barn and have been able to run free for far too long--it is going to be very difficult to reel them in.

The LAST thing any team who turns it over as much as they do, and gives up as many odd man rushes as they did per game, deserves is a cup. They reaped exactly what they sowed. The only reason it went 7 in the first place was because of Varmalov.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 07:04 PM
frasnap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerMann0809 View Post
I dont really care to tell you the truth.
So...wait. You post on a message board for...what reason again? Oh, to troll. Right. I think i know a remedy for that!

frasnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 07:30 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1100
Ted said Pitt pulled a 20 to 25 share in their market.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-14-2009 at 11:37 PM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
Actually, no they don't. There is a difference between a broadcaster talking about Ovechkin and the league marketing the player. Crosby is the league poster boy and there is no secret here. Reason being, Crosby speaks fluent English, and is well... Crosby. The league has never aggressively marketed European players: Jagr, Bure, Lidstrom, Ovechkin, Malkin, etc. The New York office always latches onto the North American player. Look at vignettes on NHL Network, features on National broadcasts and such, and you will see the NHL is clearly pushing Crosby.
I don't know, I see Ovechkin all over the NHL Network just like Crosby. Crosby may be slightly more marketed in some aspects but no doubt Ovechkin is not far behind in second place.

Quote:
Yes, the Pens got better officiating. As they did against Philly, and will against their next opponent. The league is not fixing games, but they also have a vested interest in seeing Crosby and the Pens win a Stanley Cup. I will say this, outside of a few blatant non-calls, the Pens did play a rather disciplined series. My issue is not with the non-calls on the Pens as much as it is with the fluff calls on the Caps in key situations. There is definitely favoritism and that won't change anytime soon. All fans have to live with it, but let's not ignore it exists.
The Flyers and Caps both are near the top of the league in powerplays against while the Penguins were near the top of the league in drawing penalties. It's not a surprise that the Penguins had more powerplays than both teams. There were some tacky calls against Washington, but I don't think Semin and Ovechkin helped the cause with a few blatant dives. That's not the way to get the refs on your side.

I just don't buy into the conspiracy theories. The NHL would love to have either Crosby or Ovechkin win the cup. Honestly, to the casual fan Ovechkin is a much more exciting player than Crosby. He scores a lot of awesome goals, loves to lay huge hits, and he has a much more interesting personality than Crosby.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote