HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

La - Dal

Old
05-12-2009, 01:46 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

vCash: 500
La - Dal

To DAL: Jack Johnson
To LA: James Neal

Basically, the logic behind it is that the Kings need a scoring LW and Neal is a young gun who is developing really well and fits that mold. Johnson hasn't quite hit his stride on the Kings yet but that might be more of a testament to the youth and inexperience of the team as a whole (and his early injury this season). He had a spectacular performance at Worlds recently, showing he can still be a franchise D-man one day. With Zubov's retirement approaching, Dallas should be looking for upgrades at D now.

OK so the basic premise of this is to gauge values and figure out what might work. This is just the framework. I didn't add picks or other players because I'm not quite certain who has more value and why. If you think it's fair as is, say so. If not, change it as you see fit but with the same idea in mind.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 01:49 AM
Jwm1986

i like this trade for la, but i have a feeling jj trade value is not what it should be. For some crazy reason, people think he should be putting up 20 goal 40 assist seasons at 20 years old.

but since we all love hf rating system, jj is rated a 9b. i think ive only seen 2 or 3 other players with a rating that high.

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 02:09 AM
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad

I probably overrate JJ, as I have a huge man-crush on the guy. But in my mind he is already a pretty good #2 D and will turn into a #1 in the very near future.

Neal is an intruiging player with lots of upside, but imo, is not worth JJ straight up.

stempniaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 02:12 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stempniaksen View Post
I probably overrate JJ, as I have a huge man-crush on the guy. But in my mind he is already a pretty good #2 D and will turn into a #1 in the very near future.

Neal is an intruiging player with lots of upside, but imo, is not worth JJ straight up.
I have the same feeling to be honest, but I didn't want to seem overly homerish. What would you add on Dallas' part to make it even in that case?

Keep in mind though that JJ is an RFA this offseason. That could effect his value right now.

Old
05-12-2009, 02:18 AM
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
I have the same feeling to be honest, but I didn't want to seem overly homerish. What would you add on Dallas' part to make it even in that case?

Keep in mind though that JJ is an RFA this offseason. That could effect his value right now.
Lets just assume in this circumstance that JJ is signed, I actually think it'll make gauging value easier.

What are LA's needs? (other than a scoring LW)

Old
05-12-2009, 02:33 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Lets just assume in this circumstance that JJ is signed, I actually think it'll make gauging value easier.

What are LA's needs? (other than a scoring LW)
Not much really. Most Kings fans would say a #2 center but I'm one of the few that's content with either one of Stoll or Handzus in that position.

Old
05-12-2009, 02:35 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I don't think it is that time yet. I honestly don't see JJ on the table because Dean himself has a crush on him. In the end, Dean will do what is best for the franchise, but I think it will be really hard to pry JJ away from the Kings just yet. I maybe homer about it, but I don't like this deal.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 02:43 AM
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I don't think it is that time yet. I honestly don't see JJ on the table because Dean himself has a crush on him. In the end, Dean will do what is best for the franchise, but I think it will be really hard to pry JJ away from the Kings just yet. I maybe homer about it, but I don't like this deal.
I tend to agree with this statement. Neal is no doubt a great young talent, but I just don't see JJ being traded for someone so unproven. If JJ is to be traded, I think it will be as part of a package for a more proven threat/true superstar (Heatley, Kovalchuk, ect).

Old
05-12-2009, 03:01 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
I tend to agree with this statement. Neal is no doubt a great young talent, but I just don't see JJ being traded for someone so unproven. If JJ is to be traded, I think it will be as part of a package for a more proven threat/true superstar (Heatley, Kovalchuk, ect).
The problem is I just don't see Lombardi overpaying for that superstar. And an overpayment is what it would take. Don't get me wrong, I agree with your assessment. I'm just trying to put on my Dean-o-vision glasses here and be somewhat realistic about our options. Also, I don't see Neal as all that unproven. One season doesn't count for much but 24 goals as a rookie is pretty good and I would be surprised if he didn't reach 30 next season. He's also a tough customer and isn't afraid to get his hands dirty. Again, I know it's overused, but these are qualities of the prototypical Lombardi favorite. He could be Brown's complement on the left side. A line of Neal - Stoll - Brown would score goals and inflict havoc on the opposition. This is the kind of two-way team Dean is trying to build after all. Exhibit A: Justin Williams - a goal-scorer who isn't incredibly big but plays a big game. The pattern is clear.

And with this, I must add....POST 1,000 YAY

Old
05-12-2009, 03:13 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
I like this deal, a lot. JJ would be a great addition to Dallas's blueline.

Quote:
Career games played:

Johnson: 120
Neal: 77

05-12-2009, 03:50 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
I like this deal, a lot. JJ would be a great addition to Dallas's blueline.

Career games played:

Johnson: 120
Neal: 77

The thing is I don't think anyone is saying JJ is all that experienced, just that at this point if the Kings were to trade JJ it's felt the Kings should get something a little more proven in return.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:03 AM
Caseman

Hate the deal. Jack Johnson really hasn't risen to his expectations. Neal has future captain material. I rather the Stars draft their own defenseman than sacrafice a good blue-chip like Neal.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 06:43 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Right now at this moment Neal has more value than JJ has. To say he is unproven is comical.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 08:01 AM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

If I was to trade JMFJ to another team...I would make sure that it would be OUT of the Western Conference... I'm just sayin'...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 08:38 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee Seeking Scud View Post
Right now at this moment Neal has more value than JJ has.
You are correct...the Kings would probably have to add a 1st round pick just to get the Stars to consider the trade.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 08:47 AM
Zal

The value is decent, but the deal itself is bad for both teams. The Kings would need to replace Johnson, which could be costly in itself. Dallas is losing a potential franchise player which is never a good thing either.

The other bad thing about it is the fact the deal is within the division, so if one of the players pans out where the other doesn't, the player that does well haunts his original team for years to come. In all honestly, I could see that player being Neal.

If Johnson ever gets dealt, it should be in a package for a proven top-3 winger. If I were Dallas, I'd keep Neal around to see how he turns out.

Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zal View Post
The value is decent, but the deal itself is bad for both teams. The Kings would need to replace Johnson, which could be costly in itself. Dallas is losing a potential franchise player which is never a good thing either.

The other bad thing about it is the fact the deal is within the division, so if one of the players pans out where the other doesn't, the player that does well haunts his original team for years to come. In all honestly, I could see that player being Neal.

If Johnson ever gets dealt, it should be in a package for a proven top-3 winger. If I were Dallas, I'd keep Neal around to see how he turns out.
Neal i think is pretty much a lock for 30-35 goals a year. Maybe not next year but in 3-4 years he will be. We can't afford to lose him since Modano is about done.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Zal

Quote:
Neal i think is pretty much a lock for 30-35 goals a year. Maybe not next year but in 3-4 years he will be. We can't afford to lose him since Modano is about done.
Unless he gets injured....

Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Alistar

I'm a Dallas fan and I think the Stars would have to add a bit to this deal to make it happen.. maybe a 2nd round pick

James Neal has all of the intangibles that you look for in a player, but the fact is that Johnson was (and still is I guess) one of the top defenceman prospects in the league and probably still has more value around the league then Neal.

but I can't remember the last time two franchises traded young players with a ton of potential for no real reason, so I'm going to guess this doesn't happen.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 10:24 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Interesting idea, but I think the Kings will hold onto Johnson unless he is part of a package that brings back a star player, and that kind of trade doesn't fit what Lombardi is doing, at least not yet.

Lombardi really values defensemen. I think he is going to wait and see how some of these guys (Hickey, Voynov, Johnson, etc.) pan out before he moves one of them.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
Hate the deal. Jack Johnson really hasn't risen to his expectations. Neal has future captain material. I rather the Stars draft their own defenseman than sacrafice a good blue-chip like Neal.
Not to mention the fact that Dallas is in a great position to get a potentially elite defenseman with their #8, either by draft or by trade.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
This is one of those deals that makes sense value-wise, but doesn't make sense in terms of actually making the deal. Mainly because these two teams are in the same division, neither would wan't to play against the other player 8 times a year, especially if only one of them works out.

I think its better that the Kings hang onto Johnson and draft MPS at #5 and for the Stars to hang onto Neal and draft a d-man at #8(if there's one there that they like).

-Vagrant
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 11:39 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
The OP deserves some credit... quite possibly the first Neal proposal that hasn't been designed to fleece the Stars. It also addresses the upcoming LW logjam (Morrow/Ott/Neal/Benn) ...

I'd still be really nervous doing something like this though. JMFJ will probably reach most of his potential, but it was a little disconcerting watching how fast he was passed developmentally by Doughty. Don't know... tough one.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 12:10 PM
embracedbias

Quote:
No such thing (outside of a few special circumstances). Neal is 21, remember. Would you say J. Staal is a lock for 30-35 goals a year (he's a year younger than Neal and scored 29 goals in his rookie season - followed by 12 and 22)? What about Samsonov (scored 22 goals as an 18 year old rookie - had two 29 goal seasons - hasn't reached 20 goals since 2001/02)? In fact, how many players actually are a lock for 30-35 goals a year in the league? Not Elias, not Doan, not Jokinen, not Havlat, not Hejduk, not Kovalev, not Marleau, etc.

Neal might become a lock for 30-35 goals, but it is not something that can be know a priori, and shouldn't be treated as such. In other words, don't count your chickens before they hatch.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Kingsword

I think this is a win win if you throw Dallas a high second, not a first.
Jack Johnson will have a banner year this year.

Kingsword is offline   Reply With Quote