HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sharks-Thrashers (Kovalchuk)

Old
05-12-2009, 06:28 PM
OrrNumber4

vCash: 500
Sharks-Thrashers (Kovalchuk)

San Jose sends:
Ryane Clowe
Milan Michalek
Derek Joslin
1st in 2010 (if Kovy re-signs)

for
Kovalchuk
Colby Armstrong
Scott Lehman/Brett Skinner

Atlanta gets two legit top-six forwards who are defensively capable to round out their top six core. Ryane Clowe especially could turn into a very good power forward. The obligatory first in 2010 is there if Kovy re-signs, and Derek Joslin is an eventual top-4 defenseman who is ready for NHL time right now, and could battle guys like Valabik, Exelby, and Samela for that top-four spot. Atlanta sheds a bit of salary in Lehman or Skinner. San Jose gets a dynamic goal scorer in Kovalchuk, perhaps the last thing missing from their lineup (on paper), a gritty bottom-six player, and take some salary off Atlanta's hand while getting a reserve player. San Jose probably tries to acquire the rights to Reasoner as well.
Atlanta's forward lines after this:

Michalek - White - Little
Kozlov - Peverley - Clowe

San Jose's forward lines:

Marleau-Thornton-Setoguchi
Kovalchuk-Pavelski-Couture
Moen-Mitchell-Armstrong

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Joey Moss

Not enough IMO.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Pinkfloyd

Ilya Kovalchuk's cost via trade is too much to consider unless he is signed to an extension as part of the deal. Given his current contract status, there is no way I would trade Milan Michalek straight up for him because the likelihood of him staying in San Jose after that one year is minute.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

may be the closest anyone has ever gotten to fair value for kovalchuk, but still needs a little more

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Not even close, even though it is fair value "on paper" because...

Atlanta gives up their franchise captain and their heart and soul 20 goal scoring grinder Alternate Captain. Just no.

Armstrong scored 22 last year and Michalek scored 23.

Just flat out no. Even though Kovy isn't extended and I appreciate that, NO.

If Waddell has to trade Kovalchuk it will be for a headliner marketable name (such as Heatley for Hossa). He cannot trade Kovalchuk for some very good players in a market like Atlanta.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post

Atlanta gives up their franchise captain and their heart and soul 20 goal scoring grinder Alternate Captain. Just no.

If Waddell has to trade Kovalchuk it will be for a headliner marketable name (such as Heatley for Hossa). He cannot trade Kovalchuk for some very good players in a market like Atlanta.
Milan Michalek is a lot more well-rounded as a hockey player than Colby Armstrong. The implication that they're close is the only thing I disagree with in this post. Kovalchuk to the Sharks doesn't make sense for either sides right now.

Old
05-12-2009, 06:50 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:

Stats aside, there is no question that Michalek is a more talented player, especially in the offensive zone than Armstrong. I'd put money that Armstrong's season was a bit of an abberration statistically. Put Michalek in a primary-scoring role, and he should break 70 points next year.

I completely understand your point about trading franchise players. But if Kovalchuk is going to leave anyways, would you not rather get something for him? Clowe and Michalek are both fairly young players, who along with Little, should form a nice core for Atlanta over the coming years.

Old
05-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Rem
PbP is what I spit

Clowe is a UFA. We can't "trade" him.

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 06:52 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid eye movemenT View Post
He is an RFA, no?

Old
05-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid eye movemenT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
He is an RFA, no?
He's a restricted free agent and even UFA's-to-be can be traded until June 30.

Old
05-12-2009, 07:03 PM
goman

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
San Jose sends:
Marleau-Thornton-Setoguchi
Kovalchuk-Pavelski-Couture
Moen-Mitchell-Armstrong
I can appreciate the chemistry that Marleau-Thornton-Setoguchi had last year but please don't waste Kovalchuk on the 2nd line with little Joe Pavelski. You would have one of the premier scorers in the game playing with one of the game's premier playmakers.

goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 07:10 PM
ThorntonFan19

Neither team does this. Sharks cant have that many high contract players on their team. Kovalchuk might not even re'sign in SJ.

Also saying Michalek is close to Armstrong's value is major bs. Michalek is more skilled, faster, is better defensively, has a better shot, is bigger and slightly more physical. Michalek has the most potential of all of the sharks "young guns" and those are the guys you just don't trade.

ThorntonFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 07:16 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by goman View Post
I can appreciate the chemistry that Marleau-Thornton-Setoguchi had last year but please don't waste Kovalchuk on the 2nd line with little Joe Pavelski. You would have one of the premier scorers in the game playing with one of the game's premier playmakers.
It gives San Jose two deadly lines. Besides, both Kovalchuk and Thornton are puck-hogs. I could see them playing together on the powerplay, but a playmaker like Thornton could be "wasted" on a guy like Kovalchuk

Old
05-12-2009, 07:19 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 View Post
Neither team does this. Sharks cant have that many high contract players on their team. Kovalchuk might not even re'sign in SJ.

Also saying Michalek is close to Armstrong's value is major bs. Michalek is more skilled, faster, is better defensively, has a better shot, is bigger and slightly more physical. Michalek has the most potential of all of the sharks "young guns" and those are the guys you just don't trade.
Armstrong is far better in the physical department. He is also a much gritter player (which perhaps leads to his better physicality).

Cap wise, it works for San Jose. Michalek has a hit of 4 million alone. Assuming they don't re-sign Grier, trade Cheechoo, resign all their RFAs at reasonable discounts, sign or trade for a 5-6 defenseman, and sign Travis Moen, they are at ~56 million.

Old
05-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Magnus Fulgur

I agree that Michalek is a better overall player than Armstrong, but Colby has a high value to the Thrashers, and he's not a bad player at all. He got many of his points playing on the third line this year.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 08:06 PM
bananaz

im not a fan of either team, but how about this...

to atl: marleau, cheechoo, mid level prospect, 1st in 09

to sjs: kovy, armstrong

bananaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Falcons93

Quote:

This, Kovalchuk is a top 10 player in the league. That package will not be enough to pry him from Atlanta. That first round pick has to have the condition removed, then it would be a bit closer.

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons93 View Post
This, Kovalchuk is a top 10 player in the league. That package will not be enough to pry him from Atlanta. That first round pick has to have the condition removed, then it would be a bit closer.
This is why it's doubtful that Ilya Kovalchuk gets moved at all. The package that is being expected by fans and probably by Waddell himself is too much of a price for any GM to pay for one year of service.

Old
05-12-2009, 08:25 PM
enerbas

hahahha u can tell that this guy is a sharks fan by how bad of a trade this would be
stop overating your players!

enerbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by enerbas View Post
hahahha u can tell that this guy is a sharks fan by how bad of a trade this would be
stop overating your players!
Or maybe people can tell how little you know about the trade market and the Sharks players in particular because two top six players in their 20s, a 1st rounder, and a d-man near NHL ready is a lot for a player who's got one year left on his deal.

Ilya Kovalchuk is definitely a superstar but ignoring his contract status is being ignorant to his real trade value. This isn't NHL 2009. You can't just re-sign players because you want to.

Old
05-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:

tox, i actually think this is one of the better deals we have seen in a while

yeah kovy and armstrong are important to us but you can't ignore that that package has some really high value coming back the other way

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 10:23 PM
xMARCStheSPOT

Send a message via AIM to xMARCStheSPOT Send a message via MSN to xMARCStheSPOT Send a message via Yahoo to xMARCStheSPOT
I would love to see Kovalchuk in teal. But those proposed lines are a little off IMO. The Sharks won't have Couture in the NHL this year unless he has a spectacular camp IMO. Jamie McGinn looks ready for a larger role on this team. I would say:

Marleau - Thornton - McGinn
Kovalchuk - Pavelski - Setoguchi
Moen - Mitchell - Armstrong

These would be what i would try if something similar to the proposed deal were to happen.

xMARCStheSPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Jonas1235

You would have to think that San Jose will be trading Marleau, Cheechoo and perhaps Thornton this summer. They are the reason why they've lost to many times recently.

ATL- Marleau, Cheechoo, 1st round pick, 3rd round pick
SJ - Kovalchuk, Exelby

I seriously doubt Kovalchuk wants to play on the West Coast though. He has a young family and loves Atlanta. He doesn't have a no-trade clause, but he does have alot of clout within the Thrashers organization. I doubt it happens.

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous_j View Post
im not a fan of either team, but how about this...

to atl: marleau, cheechoo, mid level prospect, 1st in 09

to sjs: kovy, armstrong
Sharks don't have a first in 09

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 11:24 PM
smokes lets go

i don't see why SJ would gut their secondary scoring for IK who has 1 year left on his deal, Marleau needs to be going the other way in a deal being made IMO

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote