Offseason

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2004, 06:49 PM
cheesymc

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cheesymc
Offseason

I know this is getting way ahead of things but does anyone know where I can get the list of UFA for 2004?

I think a major reason why the ducks did worse this yr is the lack of grit and being intimidated

What do you guys think about these players?:

Andre Roy- I think he should be an enormous upgrade. He may be smaller, but hes a guy who actually has enough balance to fight, hes a good skater among enforcers and I think he can actually play on the 3rd line with the right players. I'm not sure how much Tampa values him but Dingman looks like he has replaced him. Hes a good vet at nearly 30, and he'll give us 3 6-8 goals (Burnett would be lucky to get 2)

Mike Fischer- This guy is a great defensive player with speed, and he can actually fight alittle. He can score decently, but hasnt done all that well so maybe his value has dropped.

Old
03-22-2004, 07:49 PM
cheesymc

and these other players.... my boss was coming to my desk

Bates Bataglia- The guy is good defensively and is a gritty player. A few yrs back he was a lower end powerforward, and with Leclerc's knee possibly ending his career, Bates would be a good player to have. They both have similar traits and i think he would fit nicely. Plus Washington hasnt valued him much and is willing to get rid of his 1.5 million/yr contract.

??? Tough defenseman???? - I know the ducks cant get a Hatcher or Pronger-esque type of player... but how about getting someone with more intimidation and defensive ability than Ward? The only guys I can think up is Erksine but hes in our own division, but hes been rumoured to be availible. Commodore, he didnt do jack for us but hes big and more mobile than other big guys. Kudroc- I heard he cant skate for the life of him, but hes nasty. Kloucek- he cant play a full season and hes alittle too crazy, but I like to route for a player like him, plus his value has really dropped.

Would this be fair?:
Shastlivy or Krog or 5th (since Parker was a 5th) for Roy
Havelid for Kloucek/Kudroc/Commodore
Bates and 4rth for Smirnov
Fischer for Mcdonald (while his value is semi-hi)

This would give the ducks a revamped team:

Fischer Federov Chistov
Neider Ruchin Sykora
Lupol Sami (cause he deserves it) Bataglia
Roy Holmqvist (if he improves his FO %)Severson/AHL overachiever

I know im dreaming, I just dont want the ducks to get whooped like when a team like Calgary jumped Nash, i think it would be worse if it happened to the ducks who always get beat up by the damn kings.

Old
03-22-2004, 09:05 PM
Randall Graves*

As for tough dmen I really believe the Ducks will make a run at Mike Rathje, I was thoroughly impressed with him Friday night. He's big,he's physical and he does not make any mistakes at all, sure he's not Pronger or Niedermayer but he would be a great compliment to Carney on the top pairing.

as for your offers...I wouldn't trade Schastlivy for Roy, I like him he is decent in the defensive zone he has good vision and will improve because he will actually play everynight.

Keep Severson,Keep McDonald, and decide weather the Ducks can count on Rucchin to play well all year on the 2nd or 3rd line. A guy i'd like to see us make a pitch for either via trade or free agency is Mike Peca, he is physical,great defensively and can chip in 20 goals.

I think as long as Giguere rebounds this team will make the playoffs next season, if he doesn't we won't simple as that.

Old
03-23-2004, 01:50 AM
lwvs84

Send a message via AIM to lwvs84
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesymc

This would give the ducks a revamped team:

Fischer Federov Chistov
Neider Ruchin Sykora
Lupol Sami (cause he deserves it) Bataglia
Roy Holmqvist (if he improves his FO %)Severson/AHL overachiever

I know im dreaming, I just dont want the ducks to get whooped like when a team like Calgary jumped Nash, i think it would be worse if it happened to the ducks who always get beat up by the damn kings.
So would Prospal be a healthy scratch?

Old
03-23-2004, 02:42 AM
cheesymc

I'd probably somehow trade prospal but they wont because of the 4 million dollar bonus they gave him.

Peter isnt bad, I just thought krog would be a better 13th guy since hes a center.

Rathje is a solid top 4 guy, but I dont really like him much. Hes like that tall guy in Boston... I'm too lazy to look him up... hes soft and doesnt score at all. He's a little too much like Sauer, except he is consistently more physical. I think the ducks need that Colin White type player... the guy who does the dirty work and get the attention off the team stars and onto himself ( i remember Karpa used to do that well for the ducks)

But both Peca and Rathje would really boost the payroll even higher (i think mike gets paid like 8 million a yr)... I dont want the ducks to 'pay' for a good team. Besides, Peca is too injure prone, but I'd give him up for Prospal for sure.

I like Fischer over Mcdonald because Mike has scored more goals in a season than Andy, even if it was for Ottawa, he was a 3rd liner at best. Plus hes a great forechecker, low paid, and when hes not doing well, he can at least play a little more physical. He almost as good of a skater as Andy is too.

Old
03-23-2004, 03:28 AM
Lyons71

This off-season I just want Rucchin and Havelid to pull their heads out of their @sses.

I also want (in this offseason) for Vishnevski to do whatever Sauer did to woo Babcock. (how did he for two years get 20 minutes a game again?)

I want this offseason for Pahlsson to practice with the puck more, so Rucchin can play on the third line.

This offseason I want Chistov to gain 20 lbs. (although he would probably have a heart attack, it's a risk I'm willing to take) And Lupul gain 10.

This offseason I want all the RFA's signed well before training camp starts.

This team is good enough. Why the effort isn't there every night, no one will ever know. I do believe, however that any blockbuster trades for say...Chris Pronger would be fine by me. Howabout Sykora, Rucchin and Havelid?

Old
03-23-2004, 03:39 AM
fez

Quote:
Havelid for Kloucek/Kudroc/Commodore
lol thats pretty funny

Old
03-23-2004, 10:18 AM
Markus078

in:
popovic (scoring will come but man he is +5 this season)
kunitz (replace leclerc)
bryzaglov (replace gerber)
brent (replace andy mac)
maybee getzlaf or perry

out:
leclerc (due to injuries)
prospal (has nice value)
ozo (too expensive for what he has shown, havelid can do some of it)
gerber (has the chance to be no.1 somewhere)
andy mac (brent will do the job better)

signings:
thomas pöck will be a good one
kariya .... for 5 mil
bringing in klesla and or brewer would be great .... as would be getting phanuef somhow ....

Old
03-23-2004, 11:57 AM
cheesymc

How is Havelid for a big dman funny? I think he has enough value, hes a guy who can get 6-7 goals consistently with his good shot, he has good speed, and I think he can play physical with the right partner. Hes still not a great dman, but hes very capable of playing 20+ min a night.

As for Chistov, I think he should lose some weight and gain some more acceleration, and maximize his shiftyness. He doenst have the Kariya speed so he really needs to use his puckhandling and shiftyness, with better acceleration he can be a very explosive player. Besides, I like his feistyness, but for a undeveloped scorer that he is, he really needs to concentrade on scoring and Defense. Thats why I think he needs a tough winger with a good shot like Stumpy was to protect him..

One thing I hate about the Ducks is when their star players like Fed and Sykora, and their your players get crushed or bullied no one runs to their aid. I can guarantee if someone went after Prim-Modano, or Datsyk, etc. the linemates would sprint to their aid or at least hit back. Instead, the guys like Sykora and Chistov have to take bad penalties or go off their game.

Vish is one that definitely needs more size, I think he should be given a chance to be that 3rd offensive player under Ozo and Skoula.

Old
03-23-2004, 12:02 PM
Hossa

Quote:
I know this is getting way ahead of things but does anyone know where I can get the list of UFA for 2004?

I think a major reason why the ducks did worse this yr is the lack of grit and being intimidated

What do you guys think about these players?:

Andre Roy- I think he should be an enormous upgrade. He may be smaller, but hes a guy who actually has enough balance to fight, hes a good skater among enforcers and I think he can actually play on the 3rd line with the right players. I'm not sure how much Tampa values him but Dingman looks like he has replaced him. Hes a good vet at nearly 30, and he'll give us 3 6-8 goals (Burnett would be lucky to get 2)

Mike Fischer- This guy is a great defensive player with speed, and he can actually fight alittle. He can score decently, but hasnt done all that well so maybe his value has dropped.
Fisher will not be dealt. Sorry. His value is rising and will only continue to rise. He not only could score 30 goals in the NHL in a career year, he's a fantastically well-rounded player with Captain written all over him. To get Fisher, you'd have to offer something absolutely huge. He's the type of player who is untouchable unless the offer is mind boggling.

Old
03-23-2004, 02:48 PM
Fighter
Legend

Quote:
Shastlivy or Krog or 5th (since Parker was a 5th) for Roy
Shasta for Roy and a 3rd MAYBE...

Old
03-23-2004, 03:04 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

It's easy to pull names out of the air, but what it boils down to is wishful thinking. Exact players may or may not be available and each team is going to want a different return to suit their needs as well as the Ducks (it takes two to tango). It's easier to talk about the kind of player we need (a goon who can skate a shift or two and not be a liability, players with size and skill). You start throwing out names and it's really just a trade proposal.
Commodore was big and slow. Very Slow.

Markus, you're expecting too much out of youngsters
Brent, Kunitz, Popovic etc will not be able to step in and make us forget McDonald, Leclerc, Ozolinsh.
if the Ducks were even considering going with a youth movement or giving up and starting over again, we would of seen a lot more trades at the deadline (similar to Washington or New York)
Prospal is a useful player, for a good price, who could only benefit the team. He has value and talent, we should hold onto him.
Klesla, Brewer and Phaneuf...in your dreams

Lyons has the right idea, we don't need an overhaul, just a few tweaks

Old
03-23-2004, 06:26 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Krog shouldn't be traded or not qualified. He's arguably the best 4th line center in the league, and better at faceoffs than alot of people. He doesn't break under pressure, so he could become a guy to use in key must-win(the faceoff) situations. No reason to let him go for nothing when he's that good at the draw. Putting Pahlsson and Severson on the 4th line wings makes for a stellar line. That may leave Andy Mac out(unless he goes back to center), but so be it.

I would like to make the following moves:

Trade Mac+Perry+Gerber(subtract/add whatever to make it work) for a centerman. Jason Arnott is a name I like, because of his chemistry with Pete. Mike Comrie's another guy I'd like on the team. Comrie's value has fallen, and a pick would only likely have to be added as he recentley went for UFA-to be Sean Burke, Branko Radivojevic, and Ben Eager. Seems like a long way from 1st+Perry or 1st+Woywitka+3rd.

Sign Paul Kariya for $4-6.5 milion.

After making those deals, our lines would look like this:

Kariya-Fedorov-Lupul
Prospal-Arnott-Sykora
Leclerc-Rucchin-Niedermayer
Pahlsson-Krog-Severson

As for defense, I would love to sign Niklas Lidstrom, but we shouldn't spend that much money. Maybe make a trade to upgrade Havelid. Lines:

Ozolinsh-Vishnevski
Skoula-Salei
Havelid/upgrade-Carney

Old
03-23-2004, 08:02 PM
Jerky Leclerc

The Ducks should make a BIG MOVE for Scott Niedermayer if he does become UFA due to the CBA 04. Defense killed us this year. Too many bad mistakes.

Old
03-23-2004, 08:43 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc
The Ducks should make a BIG MOVE for Scott Niedermayer if he does become UFA due to the CBA 04. Defense killed us this year. Too many bad mistakes.
Yeah, he should be #1 on the priorities list if he becomes UFA. For those who know the CBA, does he become UFA when he turns 31, or does he have to wait untill the start of the next offseason to hit UFA status?

Old
03-23-2004, 10:44 PM
Upon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksflytogether
Sign Paul Kariya for $4-6.5 milion.

After making those deals, our lines would look like this:

Kariya-Fedorov-Lupul
Prospal-Arnott-Sykora
Leclerc-Rucchin-Niedermayer
Pahlsson-Krog-Severson

As for defense, I would love to sign Niklas Lidstrom, but we shouldn't spend that much money. Maybe make a trade to upgrade Havelid. Lines:

Ozolinsh-Vishnevski
Skoula-Salei
Havelid/upgrade-Carney
I know a lot of people have been hurt beyond repair due to Kariya's decision to leave but holy cow Kariya and Fedorov on the one line! Speeeeeeeeed.

Old
03-23-2004, 11:09 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Gawd. Kariya would never shoot again.

Old
03-23-2004, 11:25 PM
Upon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chock Full Of Booger
How do you mean? Sorry but I aint the most 'in-touch' hockey fan.

Old
03-23-2004, 11:33 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Have you seen him play in Colorado? He's in love with passing.

Old
03-23-2004, 11:36 PM
Upon1

Quote:
Have you seen him play in Colorado? He's in love with passing.
ah ok nah i haven't. No coverage unless you have pay TV down here.

Old
03-24-2004, 12:09 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
I never thought of that. Well, it would at least boost Lupul's scoring.

And to think THN said he be the 2nd runner-up for the Richard trophy.

Old
03-24-2004, 12:49 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus078
in:

andy mac (brent will do the job better)

Your dreaming if you think Brent is good enough to make the NHL next year...he is still 2 years away...

Old
03-24-2004, 02:14 AM
Randall Graves*

We have enough perimeter players. Kariya is a more expensive version of Prospal right now.

Offense isn't the problem I am really liking Skoula he is just playing exceptional hockey right now, Ozolinsh makes our transition 100000X times better. Havelid can't possibly be as bad next season. Salei is a horse and Vishnevski is emerging, I'd like to replace someone on our blueline assuming Carney is staying(why the hell haven't we picked up his option) upfront we are fine we desperately need a powerforward, get Jeff O'neill at all costs I don't care if we have to trade Chistov to get him. Rucchin has looked like the Rucchin of last year the last 5 games we know what Fedorov can do(he will perform much better if we ever get a good transition game) Niedermayer is a force when he's healthy, Lupul has potential but he shouldn't rely on him.

I like this teams makeup BM knows that the game over the next year or two is going to be suited for quick puck moving teams. If we can't get Niedermayer(unlikely) Go after Rathje package Chistov and Havelid or something to get O'neill and just hope going into next season Giguere returns to form. We have the core here we just need to add a physical defensemen and a powerforward if possible...if we can't get O'neill i'm sure there are others out there.

Old
03-24-2004, 03:40 AM
fez

Quote:
How is Havelid for a big dman funny? I think he has enough value, hes a guy who can get 6-7 goals consistently with his good shot, he has good speed, and I think he can play physical with the right partner. Hes still not a great dman, but hes very capable of playing 20+ min a night.
I was thinking the other way round. Before Ozo, Havelid was our No1 offensive D-Man, now we can trade him for some 3rd pair D-man?

Quote:
Agreed, though not sure how do-able it is, maybe he'll realise he plays with a team full of .... and decide to help his brother get his shot.

Quote:
Trade Mac+Perry+Gerber(subtract/add whatever to make it work) for a centerman. Jason Arnott is a name I like, because of his chemistry with Pete
Arnott would be nice, but he can also take stupid penalties. Ill always remember that last minute one in our series against Dallas that gave Jerky the game winner.

Also agree that we shouldnt do another Massive overhaul this year, just let go maybe 3 or so guys and bring in the same amount. Gerbs should definetly go.

Old
03-24-2004, 03:58 AM
190Octane

I wouldn't do much next year to change this team. The talent is there, the kick in the ass is what they need.

Niedermayer-Fedorov-Lupul
Prospal-Rucchin-Sykora
Getzlaf/Leclerc-Pahlsson-Chistov
enforcer-Krog-PK'er/Getzlaf

spare: McDonald, Severson
injured: Leclerc

Carney-Skoula
Salei-Ozolinsh
Vishnevski-Havelid/new d-man

Giguere
Bryzgalov

I know not much changes, but I think this team is good enough when they play. What we need is a veteran leader to come in and shake things up. If Scotty Niedermayer was available I'd be all over bringing him in. Mogilny or Kovalev is a pipe dream but I'd like to have them also.

Closed Thread