HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Engels: Speculates new owner will be Roustan

Old
05-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Melvin Udall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberge43 View Post
I think the most important about the sale is that it happens quickly or doesn't happen at all. We can't have a new management team come in on june 20th

Graeme Roustan would be a good option for one reason he would keep Pierre Boivin that would mean keeping Gainey for the time being. That would give us a better stable draft and summer IMO.

IMHO - Habs are much better off having a GOOD management team come in at any time - rather than keep the status quo!

Gainey had a 5 year plan - Habs neeed a new GM with a better plan because Gainey's 5 year plan was a disaster! Their young palyers aren't either good enough or lack character and theirbest players are too old - their best years are behind them.
Gainey got (practically) nothing for Riberio and (absolutely) nothing for Ryder - now producing for Habs opponents. can't trade well, can't draft well.......................

...............................Looks like it's time for a change.

GO HABS GO!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Irish View Post
IMHO - Habs are much better off having a GOOD management team come in at any time - rather than keep the status quo!

Gainey had a 5 year plan - Habs neeed a new GM with a better plan [...]
If you are going to get rid of Gainey, who do you bring in for him? Change for the sake of change doesn't make sense to me, especially if the new guy is not as qualified as the guy you just got rid of. Is there anyone available out there who would be a definite improvement over Gainey?

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 05:31 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
If you are going to get rid of Gainey, who do you bring in for him? Change for the sake of change doesn't make sense to me, especially if the new guy is not as qualified as the guy you just got rid of. Is there anyone available out there who would be a definite improvement over Gainey?
My suggestion? Look outside the box. The NHL has a pretty inexplicable trend of hiring mostly former players as General Managers, and to me that displays a backwards trend of thinking that needs changing. If I had to recommend another former GM/Ex NHL player who I thought would be clearly more successful than Gainey I wouldn't be able to. He has a pedigree of success as a player, and was able to translate that success into a solid coaching career and a stanley cup in Dallas. The thing is, I think we should be looking elsewhere.

Who can come into the President's role or GM role of the Montreal Canadiens and turn it into a success as a business venture as well as a team? As long as we keep restricting the available talent pool, we will never have the answer to that question.

I'm not talking about the "french only" thing, which is a problem exclusive to the Montreal Canadiens no doubt, but is drastically less important than our team's, and for some reason the majority of teams around the NHL's need to look only within the fraternity of professional hockey.

I can think of tons of examples of hirings based on merit rather than past glory that have worked out wonders for the organizations that rolled the dice, and although other sports seem to be warming up to the idea of hiring great business minds rather than great sports minds to their managerial positions...hockey seems far back of the pack in this area. Lou Lamoriello instantly springs to mind as a guy with zero sports accolades who built an insanely successful program at Providence University (bringing in Rick Pitino among other things) before becoming President and GM of the Devils...launching them on the path to success. Rich Gotham with the Celtics is another example of a smart, successful business person who came into an organization mired in disaster and, with the help of some fortunate bounces, helped turn the organization around in 2 short years

Baseball has Theo Epstein as the perfect example of how a great mind can overcome the lack of playing success. He spent years learning the ropes of sports management while earning his law degree at the same time. He never won a championship as a player, but that didn't stop him at the GM level.

You also have guys like Billy Beane and Brian Burke (arguably) who have worked their way through the ranks, showing promise and potential before being given the reigns and creating highly successful organizations (again Burke will probably split most people on this issue). Both played their sports in some capacity, but it was their managerial acumen and academic pedigree (Burke has a Harvard Law degree) that vaulted them to a successful position, and not their playing careers.

What am I talking about? I'm not sure. But I think it's time for the Habs to stop looking to the past for answers to their future. Guys like Houle, Savard, Gainey, and co have all done the job with varying degrees of success, but I think we need some fresh perspectives as the sports landscape changes, and team management becomes about more than making trades at the old boys club.

I like Julien Brisebois for the job. Not next year, but as soon as he is ready, I would give him the wheel. He has done some amazing work in the time that he has been involved in professional sports, and his quick ascension to the top indicates a level of intellect and intelligence that is sorely needed to juggle such a demanding position. Bring in some smart people, and let them be responsible for making tough decisions. Scouts and Coaches necessarily need familiarity with the sport and what it takes to be a successful player, but a GM and President need to know what it takes to build a successful organization...That's why I'm for looking outside the box.

(Sorry for the long, incoherent post)

Quagmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier View Post
My suggestion? Look outside the box. The NHL has a pretty inexplicable trend of hiring mostly former players as General Managers, and to me that displays a backwards trend of thinking that needs changing. If I had to recommend another former GM/Ex NHL player who I thought would be clearly more successful than Gainey I wouldn't be able to. He has a pedigree of success as a player, and was able to translate that success into a solid coaching career and a stanley cup in Dallas. The thing is, I think we should be looking elsewhere.

Who can come into the President's role or GM role of the Montreal Canadiens and turn it into a success as a business venture as well as a team? As long as we keep restricting the available talent pool, we will never have the answer to that question.

I'm not talking about the "french only" thing, which is a problem exclusive to the Montreal Canadiens no doubt, but is drastically less important than our team's, and for some reason the majority of teams around the NHL's need to look only within the fraternity of professional hockey.

I can think of tons of examples of hirings based on merit rather than past glory that have worked out wonders for the organizations that rolled the dice, and although other sports seem to be warming up to the idea of hiring great business minds rather than great sports minds to their managerial positions...hockey seems far back of the pack in this area. Lou Lamoriello instantly springs to mind as a guy with zero sports accolades who built an insanely successful program at Providence University (bringing in Rick Pitino among other things) before becoming President and GM of the Devils...launching them on the path to success. Rich Gotham with the Celtics is another example of a smart, successful business person who came into an organization mired in disaster and, with the help of some fortunate bounces, helped turn the organization around in 2 short years

Baseball has Theo Epstein as the perfect example of how a great mind can overcome the lack of playing success. He spent years learning the ropes of sports management while earning his law degree at the same time. He never won a championship as a player, but that didn't stop him at the GM level.

You also have guys like Billy Beane and Brian Burke (arguably) who have worked their way through the ranks, showing promise and potential before being given the reigns and creating highly successful organizations (again Burke will probably split most people on this issue). Both played their sports in some capacity, but it was their managerial acumen and academic pedigree (Burke has a Harvard Law degree) that vaulted them to a successful position, and not their playing careers.

What am I talking about? I'm not sure. But I think it's time for the Habs to stop looking to the past for answers to their future. Guys like Houle, Savard, Gainey, and co have all done the job with varying degrees of success, but I think we need some fresh perspectives as the sports landscape changes, and team management becomes about more than making trades at the old boys club.

I like Julien Brisebois for the job. Not next year, but as soon as he is ready, I would give him the wheel. He has done some amazing work in the time that he has been involved in professional sports, and his quick ascension to the top indicates a level of intellect and intelligence that is sorely needed to juggle such a demanding position. Bring in some smart people, and let them be responsible for making tough decisions. Scouts and Coaches necessarily need familiarity with the sport and what it takes to be a successful player, but a GM and President need to know what it takes to build a successful organization...That's why I'm for looking outside the box.

Excellent post. Well thought out.

Caseofcups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHarvey View Post
He should go because he keeps opening his big-a$$ mouth and making ridiculous promises.
He NEVER PROMISED ANYTHING. Wake the F up.

Show me ONE quote where he says "Je promet que..." and then followed by signing a local talent or winning the cup.

At your age, you should know full well that STATING a GOAL doesn't equal MAKING a PROMISE.

There is nothing wrong with the goals he stated, as these goals are attained through a process that involves a lot of outside variables that the Habs don't have any control over, like injuries, like players not wanting to come here.

Grow-up.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Irish View Post

Gainey had a 5 year plan - Habs neeed a new GM with a better plan because Gainey's 5 year plan was a disaster! Their young palyers aren't either good enough or lack character and theirbest players are too old - their best years are behind them.
Gainey got (practically) nothing for Riberio and (absolutely) nothing for Ryder - now producing for Habs opponents. can't trade well, can't draft well.......................

...............................Looks like it's time for a change.

GO HABS GO!
How did you feel about Gainey's plan last year? I'm sure you wanted him fired then too right?

After finishing 1st in East, what did he do?..Went after a talented Quebecois winger in Tanguay, and aimed for a big right handed center in Sundin going as far as acquiring negotiations right before July 1st. Sundin took half a year off that wasn't beneficial to him and signed with the team that offered him a ridiculous contract.
After a certain date, he went for Plan B and got Lang.

So, to start the year, we clearly have a better team than the previous season on paper.

As the seasons went by, he recognized a weakness at the point and aimed Schneider but from what he said, negotiations were put on hold because the possibility of bringing in Vinny became more serious. As it turned out, TB's management acted like retards (to everyone's surprise I'm sure), so the deal didn't come through.
So, off he went to get Schneider.

But our center position still needed depth. Burke wasn't trading Antropov here, no way. So that left Jokinen. They gave a 1st round pick, Lombardi and a decent prospect in Prust. So, not too sure I'd have wanted to give up as much, and with our Free Agent situation, this wasn't the time to give up roster players.

The injuries made our team look like a horrible team, yet we still managed to make the POs.

If we didn't have that many injuries, I'd understand the criticism of a disappointing season.
But had we been healthy, I'm sure we'd still be in POs today.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
How did you feel about Gainey's plan last year? I'm sure you wanted him fired then too right?

After finishing 1st in East, what did he do?..Went after a talented Quebecois winger in Tanguay, and aimed for a big right handed center in Sundin going as far as acquiring negotiations right before July 1st. Sundin took half a year off that wasn't beneficial to him and signed with the team that offered him a ridiculous contract.

So, to start the year, we clearly have a better team than the previous season on paper.

As the seasons went by, he recognized a weakness at the point and aimed Schneider but from what he said, negotiations were put on hold because the possibility of bringing in Vinny became more serious. As it turned out, TB's management acted like retards (to everyone's surprise I'm sure), so the deal didn't come through.

But our center position still needed depth. Burke wasn't trading Antropov here, no way. So that left Jokinen. They gave a 1st round pick, Lombardi and a decent prospect in Prust. So, not too sure I'd have wanted to give up as much, and with our Free Agent situation, this wasn't the time to give up roster players.

The injuries made our team look like a horrible team, yet we still managed to make the POs.

If we didn't have that many injuries, I'd understand the criticism of a disappointing season.
The five year plan was a disaster!!!!

Sigh...

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Caseofcups*

The five year plan was a huge success!!!

Old
05-13-2009, 06:21 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Sounds good...

It's too bad in the new NHL you cant offer money for players either, he could have gave Washington 200 million for Ovechkin.

Then we'd be good!

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseofcups View Post
The five year plan was a huge success!!!
More so than a failure, but only a rational and knowledgeable person would figure that one out.
Clearly, you don't qualify.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:

I'm a big Bosox fan and yes Theo Epstein has done a fantastic job. However, Baseball and Hockey are two completely different games. Baseball is much more of an individual sport than hockey. Character, teamwork and intangibles are far more critical in hockey. Billy Beane's "moneyball" approach is essentially based on numbers and statistics (aka Sabrmetrics) rather than character. Beane's approach predicts success more by using numerical trends rather than by a hitter's swing or bat speed. This can work in Baseball. However, it doesn't work in hockey. Corey Locke would have been a 1st rounder if we went with Beane's ideology.

Gainey understands the game. He's strong and doesn't cave in to media pressures like Habs GM's in the recent past (cost us Roy, Chelios, Corson, etc). He's a hockey guy.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
I'm a big Bosox fan and yes Theo Epstein has done a fantastic job. However, Baseball and Hockey are two completely different games. Baseball is much more of an individual sport than hockey. Character, teamwork and intangibles are far more critical in hockey. Billy Beane's "moneyball" approach is essentially based on numbers and statistics (aka Sabrmetrics) rather than character. Beane's approach predicts success more by using numerical trends rather than by a hitter's swing or bat speed. This can work in Baseball. However, it doesn't work in hockey. Corey Locke would have been a 1st rounder if we went with Beane's ideology.

Gainey understands the game. He's strong and doesn't cave in to media pressures like Habs GM's in the recent past (cost us Roy, Chelios, Corson, etc). He's a hockey guy.
Granted you can't run a hockey team like a baseball team...but that wasn't necessarily what I was arguing about.

I simply think that a great mind will flourish if given the opportunity, and that Hockey seems to be more adverse to looking outside of the sport's inner circle than the other major sports.

Beane and Epstein both had novel approaches to baseball management, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I think the Habs GM should approach the job in the same manner...I was just pointing out that there is a precedent for non-athletes succeeding at the management level. (In Beane's case he was a high draft pick who busted...and developed his GM style based on drafting the opposite player that he was, so maybe he would be antithesis to what I'm talking about)

Lamoriello seems like the perfect example: a success in management at the college level, joins the Devils franchise and works his way up to president, gm and even coach (on occasion). If Brisebois or someone else like him has a consistent track record of success...roll the dice. (I actually sound like Beane except talking about GMs not players) Bold moves are often what the doctor ordered for franchises stuck in a rut.

Gainey has been pretty good comparitive with GMs of the recent past...but I also note that the guys who cost us those players that you mentioned were also past NHLers. I'm not ruling out the possibility of hiring an ex-hab star...IF he's the right guy for the job, but to ignore a guy because he doesn't have a hockeydb page would be a huge mistake IMO...and one that hockey teams are far more prone to make than teams in other leagues

Quagmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 07:10 PM
kent_carlson

Quote:
I simply think that a great mind will flourish if given the opportunity, and that Hockey seems to be more adverse to looking outside of the sport's inner circle than the other major sports.
is Peter Chiarelli an example?

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 07:22 PM
habaholic

Quote:

Don't bother, too many people suffer from short term memory loss on this, it's not their fault.

You don't win a cup on the 5th year and the plan is a disaster! Wow...the foolishness!

habaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:

I understand most of your points and mostly agree. But then, a 5 year plan has to be build so you'd have a more competitive team (check) and be able to do well in the playoffs (no check). Honestly, Sharks fans, management, medias (or whatever journalist lost the bet and has to follow the team...) are talking about that team has a failure despite their incredible seasons. So as great as your progression is, you need to transform that into a great playoffs. Can you imagine the critics if Boston would have been beat yesterday despite a more than incredible season and a CLEAR progression that would fit greatly in a 5-year plan as well? The end result is no 3rd round in 15 years, no 3rd round since Gainey has come to this team. Again, it's not all his fault, everybody knows that. He improved the team once he came, everybody knows that as well. But let's say he would be replaced. It wouldn't be the first time that a GM is recognized for something that his predecessor did. Like what Brian Burke said when he won the cup, recognizing what Murray had done prior to that.

As far as the start of the year is concerned, you can't say that we were that much of a better team while our success mostly came on the PP and you had removed one of the key guy of that PP. Surely, adding Tangs and Lang improved other areas, and while you could have thought that both guys would have also improved your PP, there was no really way of knowing for sure how they would adapt to the system and how they would really do while you knew what Streit did for you.

Injuries were indeed a big part. And Gainey would not have been able to know that his coach would suck that much and that most young players would regressed the way they did. Though the sophomore jink was in full effect for most of those kids. And knowing that he's the one who hired Carbo, an inferior season could have been expected. Especially with the vets that we had. And especially with the total confidence he had in a young goalie that wasn't ready.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
More so than a failure, but only a rational and knowledgeable person would figure that one out.
Clearly, you don't qualify.
Yes. Because our future core of Kost brothers, higgins, Komo, Pleks, Price looked so impressive. Where do I sign up for more?

Old
05-13-2009, 08:26 PM
DougHarvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
He NEVER PROMISED ANYTHING. Wake the F up.

Show me ONE quote where he says "Je promet que..." and then followed by signing a local talent or winning the cup.

At your age, you should know full well that STATING a GOAL doesn't equal MAKING a PROMISE.

There is nothing wrong with the goals he stated, as these goals are attained through a process that involves a lot of outside variables that the Habs don't have any control over, like injuries, like players not wanting to come here.

Grow-up.
Wow. did you not get any.

At your age, you should know better than to **** all over someone for no reason.

Boivin in the past has said : The next coach must speak French which and have NHL experience..That narrows it down to two...GREAT

and

We will kill ourselves trying to get a FRENCH superstar

No, he doesnt stick his foot in his mouth much

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Just hope it's not Quebecor...!

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:03 PM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchange View Post
Wow. did you not get any.

At your age, you should know better than to **** all over someone for no reason.

Boivin in the past has said : The next coach must speak French which and have NHL experience..That narrows it down to two...GREAT

and

We will kill ourselves trying to get a FRENCH superstar

No, he doesnt stick his foot in his mouth much
That bolded part is actually false. Go dig the original article and you'll see he said something like "it would be desirable/better for the next coach to speak French" and not "he must speak French or we will not hire him".

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:06 PM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlloveslucic View Post
The last thread on the new owners got ugly quickly, so let's make sure this one doesn't get off track with the whole language bashing.
BTW - when did this thread about Roustan buying the Habs turn into coach language talk ?

And guys - please do not quote the usual habs bashers that posted in this thread. I try to keep my blood pressure low.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Yes. Because our future core of Kost brothers, higgins, Komo, Pleks, Price looked so impressive. Where do I sign up for more?
Higgins can be a good role player. Komisarek had 6 months of bad hockey, after 2 full dominant season (ofcourse you armchair GMs know that he won't be back to his old self) but at 6M he can move on. Plekanec carried the team for 1.5 seasons. Remember the awful 07-08 season? He was the only reason we actually won games in the latter of the season. Price is 21 years old, goalies don't get good until their mid twenties, but ofcourse he was rushed into the NHL and now can't be moved unless going through waivers. Kostitsyn brothers were projected to be 40 goals, 80 points player the last season. This season they are worth ****. Wow what a turn around Habs game have put on!

Seriously I'm getting tired of arguing with ignorant people, wanting to get rid of the youth of the team. We didn't get to draft Kane, Toews, Backstrom, Kessel, Staal, etc. But we have talent and we have to be patient.

You expect great players to show up and play for your jerseys? Go to bed, you'll have your wish.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:19 PM
Caseofcups*

Just keep defending management and click your heels together and everything will be allright. This is a disaster in the making and Gainey is is steering us to mediocrity.

Shhh. It's ok. All praise the mighty Gainey

Old
05-13-2009, 09:27 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Just keep defending management and click your heels together and everything will be allright. This is a disaster in the making and Gainey is is steering us to mediocrity.

Shhh. It's ok. All praise the mighty Gainey
The latest HF Poster Boy nominations are in. You're near the top.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:28 PM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Higgins can be a good role player. Komisarek had 6 months of bad hockey, after 2 full dominant season (ofcourse you armchair GMs know that he won't be back to his old self) but at 6M he can move on. Plekanec carried the team for 1.5 seasons. Remember the awful 07-08 season? He was the only reason we actually won games in the latter of the season. Price is 21 years old, goalies don't get good until their mid twenties, but ofcourse he was rushed into the NHL and now can't be moved unless going through waivers. Kostitsyn brothers were projected to be 40 goals, 80 points player the last season. This season they are worth ****. Wow what a turn around Habs game have put on!
Seriously I'm getting tired of arguing with ignorant people, wanting to get rid of the youth of the team. We didn't get to draft Kane, Toews, Backstrom, Kessel, Staal, etc. But we have talent and we have to be patient.

You expect great players to show up and play for your jerseys? Go to bed, you'll have your wish.
1- Higgins was selected in the first round. Talk about a blown pick ending up on the fourth line.
2. Komo is leaving us for nothing because we refuse to negotiate with FAs during the season. Another great decision.
3. Pleks couldn't carry Obyrne's purse never mind this team.
4. Price has had three playoff series to impres and has failed miserably.
5. I agree he was rushed but who rushed him? Sleeping Bob??

It's just so stupid the way some keep defending this management team over and over again after the position we are in after the imfamous 5 yr plan.

FAIL

Old
05-13-2009, 09:35 PM
DougHarvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
That bolded part is actually false. Go dig the original article and you'll see he said something like "it would be desirable/better for the next coach to speak French" and not "he must speak French or we will not hire him".
try this
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/la-tribune...n-francais.php

first part says :Le président du Canadien de Montréal, Pierre Boivin, a confirmé cette semaine que le prochain entraîneur-chef du Tricolore sera francophone

The president of the Habs confirmed this week the the next coach will be a francophone.

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote