HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Moves Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2009, 10:06 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

vCash: 500
Why does everyone want Kozlov gone? For maybe a drop in pay I'd keep him all day long. He's very serviceable winger, who's ****ing awesome along the boards.

Old
05-13-2009, 10:07 PM
ugotmybeef*

Get Better D.

Old
05-13-2009, 10:09 PM
frasnap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Why does everyone want Kozlov gone? For maybe a drop in pay I'd keep him all day long. He's very serviceable winger, who's ****ing awesome along the boards.
Agreed.

Old
05-13-2009, 10:10 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
I can't make up my mind on him. I see your point...but I also see teams skating around him like he's not even moving.

I want to see the overall team speed and work ethic improve. Kozzie does some good things...but he doesn't have that next level he can take his game to.

I guess if the price is right...but I'd rather see the room made for an impact #2 defender and/or some speed in the top and bottom forwards.

First and foremost...Nylander needs to be dealt with. Not sure how that's going to play out.

Old
05-13-2009, 10:10 PM
WharfRat

Quote:
Kozlov would be fine as a 3rd or 4th line guy at 1.5 million. that's about it. Same for Feds.

Old
05-13-2009, 10:18 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

I'd tube Nylander...no question.

I'd trade Semin...If he did anything Washington would have won this series before game 7. Don't be fooled by the pointless reguluar season dangles....wfc about that.

I'd resign Vik cheap. Like I previously said.

Def resign Feds for the right price. We can't **** all over the whole team for 1 loss.

Flash..meh I'd like to see him more of a scratch, but he does some stuff that impresses me.

I'd like to see Alzer up, maybe sign a Scott Hartnell/Umberger type to replace Semin...etc

This sounds bad, but I don't think BB is teh coach to take us to the next level. He's done such a great job getting this team from the dog **** Hanlon days to a top team, but we need a structured coach who can teach some team D. I know guys like Green and company have it in them...but we need a 82 games of it. If by December it's just the same movie as this year, I'd tube BB.

But the most important thing we need, I think, is Semin gone and replaced with scoring grittz nasty to play against SOBs.

Old
05-13-2009, 10:24 PM
WharfRat

Get someone who knows how to hit and doesn't try to curl and drag all the time.

Old
05-13-2009, 10:27 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I don't understand all the Semin bashing. He was the Caps' best player last year against Philly, and arguably this year against the Rags.

He gets slashed on the hand late in the Rags series and is slow from there on out. He's obviously injured.

Old
05-13-2009, 10:34 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

You dont' understand the Semin bashing? really?

The guy is meant to be a top player on the team and was a granny. Painful to watch. He had his moments, but just lived up to my stereotype of soft Euros. No thanks.

Old
05-13-2009, 10:35 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Again, he was the best Cap in the playoffs last year and one of the best against the Rags this year. One bad series in which he's obviously injured, and you write him off?

Old
05-13-2009, 10:38 PM
WharfRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I don't understand all the Semin bashing. He was the Caps' best player last year against Philly, and arguably this year against the Rags.

He gets slashed on the hand late in the Rags series and is slow from there on out. He's obviously injured.
He has great potential, but he takes so many lazy penalties and isn't gritty at all. Good for "star" quality, but not for playoff time.

Old
05-13-2009, 10:38 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

I didn't say throw him down toilet...Just get some assets for him.

Old
05-13-2009, 10:39 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

In my perfect world:

Gone:
-Nyls for anything. Even willing to give up a first if we get something serviceable back at cheap price
-Clark for anything. I think he's done. Sucks cause 2007 clark is the player we need.
-Pothier I think has improved his value as he shows he's over his injury. I could see getting something of value. Need the cap space and puck movers are valued in this league. But I think gmgm keeps him and makes carlson beat him out and trade him at camp.
-Mo: I think he may get us something of value and we need cap space
-semin only if we returned good value
-either jonny or theo obviously, but only drop theo if cap space is used on acquisition
-brash: need to get cheaper on 4th line and stecks is already getting more. Need another min salary guy. Sucks cause I thought BB should have played brash game 6 and 7.

Keep if only:
-kozlov at same price for no more than 2 years
-feds for half year neids type deal. Keep him fresh and despite how bruce used him in ot game 5, having him for ot in regular season or when trailing is a weapon.

Keep:
-stecks, fehr

Get:
A mobil vet dman. Overpay in ufa if you have to. Ohlund is dream. Use semin money and expected raise.
A gritty forward or two with speed.

Old
05-13-2009, 10:41 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Again, he was the best Cap in the playoffs last year and one of the best against the Rags this year. One bad series in which he's obviously injured, and you write him off?
Clearly his play makes him easy to bash. There's no middle ground with Semin and that's the problem. He's usually great or really crappy. Consistancy is little to do with injury. Intelligent, hardworking players are consistant. Semin just isn't consistant enough.

How many times do we have to watch him make an absurd lazy pass, take a lazy stick penalty, or watch him overskate a puck that nobody from the other team even touches!?!?!

Look, it's late, I'm angry and I'm frustrated. At this point Semin shouldn't be shouldering the major blame, but it's got to be clear even to the biggest Semin supporter that he's still got a long way to go to become even an all-star calibre player, much less a superstar like some claim he is.

Old
05-13-2009, 10:45 PM
pkavpro14

Send a message via AIM to pkavpro14
Quote:
You dont' understand the Semin bashing? really?

The guy is meant to be a top player on the team and was a granny. Painful to watch. He had his moments, but just lived up to my stereotype of soft Euros. No thanks.
The caps would do very terrible without him... One mediocre series and people are wanting him out now

Old
05-13-2009, 10:47 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Semin is an all-star caliber player right now. If he'd played a full season, he would have had 90+ points, I'm betting.

I understand he's inconsistent, but most young players are. I just don't think you can afford to trade a player of his caliber unless its for a player of equal talent.

Old
05-13-2009, 10:51 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

I'd keep Semin if I knew Ovy would have a heart to hearty and tell him what he needs to work on. But this is the guy the Caps had to sue to get him to play for them...just when you add it up, he's tradebable.

Old
05-13-2009, 10:52 PM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
Semin is okay for now, Kozlov has to go for sure, so does SFEDS.

strung said it best, this team needs to get much faster and more aggressive.

Bruce also needs to get off of the river boat gambling philosophy and try to teach these guys actual defense.

they turn the puck over way too much and get killed in transition.

Old
05-13-2009, 10:53 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleCAPS View Post
Semin is okay for now, Kozlov has to go for sure, so does SFEDS.

strung said it best, this team needs to get much faster and more aggressive.
Bruce also needs to get off of the river boat gambling philosophy and try to teach these guys actual defense.

they turn the puck over way too much and get killed in transition.
Chad LaRose, please.

Old
05-13-2009, 10:54 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Faster and more aggressive? I disagree. Washington needs better overall team D and hard to play against gritty Canadians. (but I'm guessing that's what he meant by more aggressive players)

Old
05-13-2009, 10:57 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

We had two major problems this series that killed our puck possession:
1. Breakouts due to poor forward positioning/tactics/coaching and our slow, steelhanded dmen were our healthiest

2. Turnovers. Some were in our zone based on breakouts. But most were in offensive zone at the attacking blueline. A lot of it was all of our high skilled players playing 1 on 3 instead of using their teammatrs. Semin was by far the worst and I doubt he ecer changes. When you have attacking dmen like green or slow footed erskine or juice, that just kills you. Its like nhl09 at times.

Old
05-13-2009, 10:57 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Faster and more aggressive? I disagree. Washington needs better overall team D and hard to play against gritty Canadians. (but I'm guessing that's what he meant by more aggressive players)
This team absolutely, positively, has to get faster. The team speed of New York and Pittsburgh absolutely killed them.

Mods: any chance for an official Offseason moves/strategy thread?

Old
05-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Whopper88

If you trade Semin, you will see a different OV. Trading away his BF is not a good move for any GM.

The players that will be gone are Clark and Nylander.

The Caps need mobile Defenseman. The Penguins exposed that even though we all knew about our slow D-men.

Old
05-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Poggemon Destiny*

Outsider here...I've watched about 10 regular season games of the Caps and every single playoff game this year...I think it is obvious: you guys NEED to get rid of Semin, Kozlov and Backstrom.

Trust me, they are skilled no doubt. Especially Semin and Backstrom. But you will not win with these guys in the playoffs. They will never do the things required like hit, take it hard to the net every time need and stand in front of the net and occasionally mix it up. You guys really need rough and tough gritty boys out there. I really felt bad for OV whose so tough and being a star has to do the hitting as well. You can get pretty good return for those guys and they need to be dealt in order to be an effective team in the playoffs. Other than that Green needs to improve his defensive game, which I'm sure he will in the following years, and not sure what your goalie situatio is for the future as he looked like he crapped his pants out there with his paper glove.

Old
05-13-2009, 11:00 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Fyi sorry guys I'm blackberry posting. No laptop.

Closed Thread