HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Offseason Moves Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2009, 09:58 AM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar View Post
My list (in no particular order):

1. Bruce (great coach still) needs to make some adjustments
a. Stop playing favorites with guys from Hershey, in particular Schultz and Sloan
b. Start line matching, this is the NHL
c. Adjust to opponents faster

2. Heal up down the stretch
a. I felt some guys were pushing for milestones instead of taking a few games off down the stretch and healing up. Felt that would hurt us in the post season and it seems like it did. Only Poti rested up and I think he started out pretty well in the postseason compared to others that didn't and were obviously banged up a bit.

3. Player movement
a. Out: Morrisonn, Schultz, Nylander
b. In: Alzner, Carlson, Aucoin, Partner for Green
c. Not sure: Fedorov, Jurcina, Kozlov, Theodore/Johnson

5. Hopeful projected lineup:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-BCF
Fleischmann-Aucoin(Fedorov)-Semin
Laich-Steckel-Bradley
Brashear-Gordon-BCF
extras: BCF, Laing
(note: BCF = Bourque, Clark, Fehr)

Green-X
Alzner-Poti
Carlson-Pothier
extra: Erskine

Varlamov
Johnson

Rotate Erskine in for Carlson or whichever D needs a break, rotate Laing in when up against softer teams with strong pp.

6. Special Teams
The power play posted good numbers this year but I felt the strongest unit was never really considered the top unit and the player rotation/overlap was a bit ridiculous.

PP1: Semin-Backstrom-Laich-Ovechkin-Green
PP2: Flash-Aucoin(Fedorov)-Fehr-Poti-Carlson

PK: Use Backstrom!!! PK needs to get better all around, blocking shots with body not sticks, goalie screening (self and opponents), and clearing pucks.

I'm not comfortable at all with Aucoin being the second line center for next years team. IMO, the three areas that need to be upgraded heading into next season are, in no particular order, top line RW, second line center, top pairing defenseman. There really is no sure fire second line center in the system, unless you believe Anton is up for the job; but even then, he's two or three years away from competing for the spot.

Last edited by TheFountainhead: 05-14-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old
05-14-2009, 09:59 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Does no one else think BB's time is nearly up?
Nope.

Not even close.

6-2 in elimination games. That's nothing to shrug shoulders at. I'd like to see him work on getting the team to seize the opportunities earlier in series and not go to game 5, 6, or 7...but aside from that, I have little complaints about Bruce (ice time issues, setting lines, and forcing an assistant coach change would be the only gripes from me)

Old
05-14-2009, 10:03 AM
Hot Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegr8 View Post
I'm not comfortable at all with Aucoin being the secon line center for next years team. IMO, the three areas that need to be upgraded heading into next season are, in no particular order, top line RW, second line center, top pairing defenseman. There really is no sure fire second line center in the system, unless you believe Anton is up for the job; but even then, he's two or three years away from competing for the spot.
Aucoin is a 3rd liner at the absolute best. Really a 4th liner, but this season he showed he is capable of playing well within that role. Are there any solid FA centermen to be had this offseason?

Edit: Cammalleri, perhaps? They're going to have to sign a center, just depends how much they want to spend.

Last edited by Hot Carlson: 05-14-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old
05-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Oh...and after a night to sleep on it...

Trading Semin for either a #1/#2 D man or a legitimate power winger for one of the two top lines should be Mafki's #1 priority this offseason.

He won't do it...but he should.

I'm not sure Ovechkin and holding on for dear life is a method to this team winning right now.

Especially not with a poor defense and it potentially getting younger, if more talented.

I would love to add a top 2 defenseman, and would be willing to give up a ton to get it. But I have a sneaky suspicion that Semin is more critical to the offensive output than most of us think. When he is healthy, the team is dynamic offensively. Yes, a bit cute, but other teams with this type of skill have had that type of problem. You fix that by getting players who go to the net, drive into the goalie, post up and cause havoc. Look at Detroit. I think in some ways Holmstrom and Franzen are probably more important at times than Datsyuk and company, because they do the dirty work and pay the price.

I also hesitate to go to the more defensemen approach with Bruce. I'm not sure it suits his style.

Old
05-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
I'm not against Radulov. He did show some heart in their series last playoffs. He also has way more grit and sandpaper to his game than Semin ever will.

But he isn't the type of guy the team needs.

Old
05-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Maryland17

Keep Juice. Cheap, as well as Flash, Cheap.

Get a gritty forward - Knuble?, resign Kozzie to less than 2.5. Grab a top pair D man with Leadership.

Get a center - Pahlsson or Reinprecht. Solid two ways centers who could be had for around $2 million.

Gone- Feds. Attempt to get rid of Clark/Nyles and Theo if possible. Re-sign BJ.
Possibly get rid of Mo, via trade.

Ovy-Back-Koz
Semin- FA- FA
Brads/Steck/Laich
Flash/Gordon/Beagle

Green-FA
Poti-Alzner
Pots-Juice
Erskine

Grab a top pair D man with Leadership.

Old
05-14-2009, 10:20 AM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland17 View Post

Get a gritty forward - Knuble?, resign Kozzie to less than 2.5. Grab a top pair D man with Leadership.

Get a center - Pahlsson or Reinprecht. Solid two ways centers who could be had for around $2 million.

Ovy-Back-Koz
Semin- FA- FA
Brads/Steck/Laich
Flash/Gordon/Beagle

Green-FA
Poti-Alzner
Pots-Juice
Erskine

this is basically what i would like to see. good stuff.

Old
05-14-2009, 10:23 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I'm not sure Ovechkin and holding on for dear life is a method to this team winning right now.

Especially not with a poor defense and it potentially getting younger, if more talented.

I would love to add a top 2 defenseman, and would be willing to give up a ton to get it. But I have a sneaky suspicion that Semin is more critical to the offensive output than most of us think. When he is healthy, the team is dynamic offensively. Yes, a bit cute, but other teams with this type of skill have had that type of problem. You fix that by getting players who go to the net, drive into the goalie, post up and cause havoc. Look at Detroit. I think in some ways Holmstrom and Franzen are probably more important at times than Datsyuk and company, because they do the dirty work and pay the price.

I also hesitate to go to the more defensemen approach with Bruce. I'm not sure it suits his style.
What fits Bruce's style is an aggressive, fast, fore checking team with forwards willing to drop back when the mobile D men pinch.

That's not Semin.

He's an individual playing a team system. Until he learns or decides to play within the system, he's just a gifted forward that can pile up points, but cannot help the team get where they need to go.

I accept that he's an outstanding offensive talent and that secondary scoring is needed to succeed in the NHL. I'd be willing to take the risk of moving him to help improve the existing team. I doubt Makfi does...but my stance if becoming firmer by the minute.

Old
05-14-2009, 10:37 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Eric Fehr View Post
Aucoin is a 3rd liner at the absolute best. Really a 4th liner, but this season he showed he is capable of playing well within that role. Are there any solid FA centermen to be had this offseason?

Edit: Cammalleri, perhaps? They're going to have to sign a center, just depends how much they want to spend.
Please don't sign Cammalarry. Last year was a contract year and you won't see the same kind of year normally. He's just another Semin,....

Old
05-14-2009, 10:39 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

Also, get someone to replace Laich on this so called Bradley, Steckel, Laich line...Brooksy, imo, is a top 6 forward and I'd hate to waste that on a checking line. There's others guys we can use on that new "checking line"

Old
05-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Roccoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleCAPS View Post
strung is right, this team needs to build on fore checking and hitting in regards to creating offense.

they cycle atm, which is great, but their cycle never leads to any shots.

3 man cycle for a minute, then one guy turns it over, then it's a break the other way.

they need to be able to dump, chase and pound.

that way not only do the defensemen have to be quick with their decision making (which sometimes leads to turn overs), but they have to respect your dump and chase, which means it gives the forwards more room to enter the zone and set up from time to time.

with that in mind, this team needs to get faster. Kozlov has no foot speed. he's just a big hulking body. if you replace him with Knuble or Cole you get a 2nd line guy who can play 1st line if needed and someone who plays gritty.

maybe i'm out to lunch, but this team needs an actual identity. just being gifted offensively doesn't cut it.
no yer not out to lunch at all - in fact you are %100 spot on.

in that vein, here is what i would like to see:

OUT
  • Fedorov - 40 years old & while he has been very good, he is not part of the future of this club. he wont take a reduced role and be happy so i think its time to say 'thanks Sergei & adios'
  • Nylander - clearly not a BB kinda guy, i dont know what (if any) return you could get from him... feel bad for the guy honestly, but also want his salary off the books by (almost) any means possible
  • Jose - No way Jose. didnt like the signing way back when, and his erratic play clearly effects the team in front of him. which Jose are we getting tonite? also want his salary off the books by (almost) any means possible
  • Mo - its not so much i dont care for Mo, but his salary could be better spent. RFA making roughly 2 million a year
  • Sarge - send him to Hershey, make him earn his way back - hopefully he can add more to his (lacking) skillset
  • Bradley - for his salary we can find a guy that does what he does. i like Brads, but he goes long stretches where you dont even notice him in a game, unless he takes one of those amazing face beatings.

thats who i would work to jettison. roughly 15 million off the books (if you got rid of all those salaries) which in turns lets us get a few nice UFA/RFA pieces and perhaps leaves enough room for a trade-deadline deal.

I'd also seriously consider offers for Semin in exchange for a rugged top pair D man in his early / mid twenties... but its not likely to happen.

would like to see LOLzner and Carlson getting good minutes early next season in a 4-6 role, and getting a better taste of the NHL game... i mean really, could either be worse than Sarge (or even Green in these playoffs) ? i love me some John Carlson, and this kidmanchild has a chance to make the NHL roster and never look back. the sooner we get them used to the NHL game, the better.

agreed %100 we need more heart & sandpaper. get some more guys from out west, like we did when we signed Clark.

Old
05-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Hot Carlson

Now that the season is over, can we put Schultz in Hershey to start next season without putting him on waivers? That part is a little nebulous to me.

Old
05-14-2009, 10:42 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Eric Fehr View Post
Now that the season is over, can we send Schultz to Hershey without putting him on waivers? That part is a little nebulous to me.
No, he's over the NHL games played threshold for waiver eligibility.

Plus he wasn't on the Clear Day roster.

Old
05-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Hot Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
No, he's over the NHL games played threshold for waiver eligibility.

Plus he wasn't on the Clear Day roster.
Thanks, didn't think so. In a perfect world...

I'm not sure he'll ever realize his potential. He just lacks the requisite toughness.

Old
05-14-2009, 10:45 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Speaking of which, I can't wait to get the story on Schultz. What's going on there? He missed a full month.

Old
05-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Whopper88

Boumeester is available. If we do not resign Feds, somehow get rid of Nylander and possibly Clark, would 1 D-man make that much of a difference or do we need 2? What would be Boumeester's asking price? This still leaves us with a lot of assets on defense to trade for a decent 2nd line centre.

Old
05-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Hot Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whopper88 View Post
Boumeester is available. If we do not resign Feds, somehow get rid of Nylander and possibly Clark, would 1 D-man make that much of a difference or do we need 2? What would be Boumeester's asking price? This still leaves us with a lot of assets on defense to trade for a decent 2nd line centre.
Probably too much. I also don't like the way he basically phoned it in after the deadline. We already have guys that have trouble giving 100% sometimes.

Old
05-14-2009, 10:54 AM
capsfn95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland17 View Post

Ovy-Back-Koz
Semin- FA- FA
Brads/Steck/Laich
Flash/Gordon/Beagle

Green-FA
Poti-Alzner
Pots-Juice
Erskine

Sedins? For that second line. I know it won't happen but it would be awesome.

Old
05-14-2009, 10:56 AM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsfn95 View Post
Sedins? For that second line. I know it won't happen but it would be awesome.
It would be awesome, but definitely not a realistic possibility.

Old
05-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Whopper88

The only way the Sedin's will sign is if play on the same team. If they want that, they will have to lower their asking price of $14 Million. If they sign for $8 -10 Million that is still a maybe as not many teams that are contenders can afford them.

Old
05-14-2009, 11:10 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

Off the board here...Washington should sign Jason Arnott. He's everything I want in a hockey player.

Old
05-14-2009, 11:12 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

Edit: Since I can't edit because of points...I meant trade for Arnott.

Old
05-14-2009, 11:21 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I still think trading Semin is crazy. Unless you're getting a Jeff Carter back, there goes your secondary scoring. Though, if something could be built around Semin + for Booth and Ballard (doubtful since Florida's losing Bouwmeester, and they're in the division), I'd give it strong consideration. In my mind, Semin just needs some maturity and coaching, both of which will come in time.

Old
05-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Whopper88

I keep wondering what would have happened if Guerin would have been a Capital at the trade deadline. He is the leader that the Caps were missing in this years playoffs.

Old
05-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Siberian

Without Semin the Caps are not very good. Semin perfectly provides the secondary scoring after Ovechkin. Some idiots still don't get the point that he was injured all series long. How quickly they forget that without him Caps lose to the Rangers in the first round, really, you are only as good as your last game.

I think goaltending will be fine for years to come. Varlamov and Theodore should split the time next year. The real big problem is the D. Green is their number one offensive D-man and he plays huge minutes. It is fine for the regular season but in the playoffs he was exposed big time defensively. Green should be utilized in the next playoffs better, perhaps less minutes at even strength but still huge part on the PP.

Now here is the problem. Caps are still one or two great D-guys away from the contender. They need the guys who do not panic in their own zone under pressure with the good ability to come out of the zone. Green didn't have that at all. The only guys who managed to do that somewhat ok were Jurcina and Erskine. Erskine was really good in the playoffs until he hurt his foot in game 2 I believe.

Kozlov is probably gone - not a big deal. Fedorov, it is a tough choice, he has lost his speed but does he work hard, how can you forget his slapper the GWG. I would resign him for cheap, I think he can still contribute for one more year.

Closed Thread