HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Anyone want to guess Caps Injuries?

Old
05-14-2009, 07:57 AM
Hot Carlson

vCash: 500
Not sure what I can say that hasn't been covered.

I'm pretty sure Semin's is a wrist injury that he suffered on that slash non-call. He was terrific in the Rangers series, I don't see his play dropping off so drastically without a good reason. They've said Ovie's was a groin, and we all know what happened to Green.

Hot Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 08:05 AM
txpd

I think Tarik called OV's groin issue some time back.

As to cutting Green's minutes, They might as well have just scratched him. It doesnt take a genious to figure out that Green's minutes being cut in any significant way would send the signal that he was hurt. Ovechkin's PPG in game two off the pass from Green doesnt happen if Green is not considered a threat to shoot.

If he is playing 18 minutes, it would be an announcent. Think it through, they would rather dress 7 d and give Tyler Sloan 15 minutes and Green 18 rather than Green 26.

Last edited by txpd: 05-14-2009 at 08:20 AM.
txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 08:08 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WharfRat View Post
McPhee has a brain injury and Flash has a wounded vagina.
are you 12 years old? Grow up a little

Old
05-14-2009, 08:45 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I think Tarik called OV's groin issue some time back.

As to cutting Green's minutes, They might as well have just scratched him. It doesnt take a genious to figure out that Green's minutes being cut in any significant way would send the signal that he was hurt. Ovechkin's PPG in game two off the pass from Green doesnt happen if Green is not considered a threat to shoot.

If he is playing 18 minutes, it would be an announcent. Think it through, they would rather dress 7 d and give Tyler Sloan 15 minutes and Green 18 rather than Green 26.
I have thought it through for several games now; it is not unheard of to dress 7D, esp. with back to back games including travel when your 12th forward is getting little if any ice time anyway.

You seriously believe Pittsburgh didn't know Green was injured, lol. Cutting Green's minutes on the PK, for example, would not have been an issue, IMO. Caps taking penalties, d-men going to the box, d-men hurt, not 1 but several, yeah, I would liked to have seen them dress a 7th dman.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 08:50 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Totally agree with sk8 on Green's minutes. Sure, you don't want to give the Pens a signal that Green is hurting by cutting his minutes...but it was obvious playing him as much as they were was not helping the team more than it was hurting. With the ice time that Beagle and Clark were getting, dressing Sloan is something that likely should have been done. Maybe they discussed it...but just failed to go in that direction for whatever reason.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 08:56 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Totally agree with sk8 on Green's minutes. Sure, you don't want to give the Pens a signal that Green is hurting by cutting his minutes...but it was obvious playing him as much as they were was not helping the team more than it was hurting. With the ice time that Beagle and Clark were getting, dressing Sloan is something that likely should have been done. Maybe they discussed it...but just failed to go in that direction for whatever reason.
Thanks for expressing the point about the minutes and performance, too, agree it was not helping the team, overall. I agree one has to assume they considered the option, but we will never know the reason why they did not go that direction; I wouldn't complain if we did find out.

Old
05-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Hot Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Thanks for expressing the point about the minutes and performance, too, agree it was not helping the team, overall. I agree one has to assume they considered the option, but we will never know the reason why they did not go that direction; I wouldn't complain if we did find out.
I think we would have seen Alzner if not for whatever injury he may have.

Sloan, I thought, played adequately when Erskine was down, but then again, Erskine isn't a top 2 guy and replacing him isn't the same as trying to replace Green.

Old
05-14-2009, 09:23 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Eric Fehr View Post

Sloan, I thought, played adequately when Erskine was down, but then again, Erskine isn't a top 2 guy and replacing him isn't the same as trying to replace Green.
And I never suggested Sloan should have replaced Green, other than his PK time, simply that Green should have not been playing all of those minutes and a 7th dman would have enabled the coaching staff to assign minutes differently across all the dmen.

Old
05-14-2009, 09:25 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Eric Fehr View Post

Yeah, it's not about replacing Green. It's about managing his minutes (as sk8 pointed out).

He could play....just not effectively with the minutes and situations he was playing in.

Old
05-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Hot Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
And I never suggested Sloan should have replaced Green, other than his PK time, simply that Green should have not been playing all of those minutes and a 7th dman would have enabled the coaching staff to assign minutes differently across all the dmen.
I didn't say you suggested that. I'm just not sure he should have been playing at all. You could cut his minutes, but I don't see where that would have precluded him from not making the same kinds of mistakes, just on a more limited scale. I still maintain that Alzner's injury...well, we could have used him.

Eh, either way, I'm ready to move on. Good season but there's a lot of work to be done.

Old
05-14-2009, 09:32 AM
txpd

I think the other component to Green's minutes was that he could skate while it appears Poti and Erskine had broken feet. Jurcina is slow. That left Pothier as the only guy that could skate.

You could see the way the Pens could bottle up the Caps down low. It seemed to me that Green couldnt pass the puck out and Poti and Erskine couldnt chase it. Jurcina would seem to forget that his partner couldnt go after a simple reverse pass and it would go to an open corner to be chased down by the Pens.

I thought that looked strange. It makes more sense now. Anyway...Green played because he could skate and the others couldnt. OR at least that is my take.

Old
05-14-2009, 09:56 AM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I think the other component to Green's minutes was that he could skate while it appears Poti and Erskine had broken feet. Jurcina is slow. That left Pothier as the only guy that could skate.

You could see the way the Pens could bottle up the Caps down low. It seemed to me that Green couldnt pass the puck out and Poti and Erskine couldnt chase it. Jurcina would seem to forget that his partner couldnt go after a simple reverse pass and it would go to an open corner to be chased down by the Pens.
All the more reason why the forwards had to come back down low and help get the puck out of the zone. The only guys doing it consistently were Nicky and Steckel -- they're centers and so that's their responsibility; but I didn't see enough of it from Feds, and the wings, especially Semin and Ovy, just didn't seem to be giving the D the help they needed. I know that's not how we play normally, but we were already taken out of our game due to the fact that Green (for whatever reason - injury, pressure from Pens and Rags forwards, brain farts) couldn't carry the puck out of the zone, which was a huge component of our D zone break-out all during the regular season. We had to adjust, and we just didn't seem to do it -- the D seemed stranded by the forwards an awful lot.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 12:21 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
i saw a lot of the forwards blowing off erskine and jurcina early in the year. fans were livid but i saw things differently, and started trying to point out they were getting less help than the high skill D men, when obviously they need more support. Our D unable to pass or skate, the forwards needed to help out and did not.

The Pens would have no trouble breaking out on our one forechecker, and we were always outnumbered trying to get our (non existent) forecheck going. On our blueline, every loose puck was controlled by a pen. Bruce had the forwards up high cheating but it did not pay dividends at all. We never pulled the stretch so our plan failed while our dmen were under seige.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 06:59 PM
binary0x01

Send a message via ICQ to binary0x01 Send a message via Yahoo to binary0x01
Injuries - No excuse, but still matter.

Some news on the injuries.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cap...-and-poti.html

Tomorrow we'll find out in detail what's up.

binary0x01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 07:40 PM
binary0x01

I am sure Semin and Green were hurting.

I hope folks don't start beeyatching about these playoffs because this team, will keep getting better and better.

In my opinion, if AO would have nailed that breakway, and then got that shot that hit Flury's top of the hockey stick, we would be in round 3 right now.

You make your own call, but that's what I think.

Old
05-15-2009, 10:27 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

From Tarik...

The injuries:

* Mike Green (shoulder)
* Alexander Semin (thumb)
* Tom Poti (broken foot)
* John Erskine (broken foot)
* Alex Ovechkin (groin pull)
* Shaone Morrisonn (groin, ankle)

Old
05-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Hot Carlson

Thumb? Must have been broken, probably because of the slash?

Old
05-15-2009, 12:29 PM
LSF76

I'm surprised Laich isn't on that list.

LSF76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:04 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
From Tarik...

The injuries:

* Mike Green (shoulder)
* Alexander Semin (thumb)
* Tom Poti (broken foot)
* John Erskine (broken foot)
* Alex Ovechkin (groin pull)
* Shaone Morrisonn (groin, ankle)
That explains a whole hell of a lot.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:41 PM
jim lahey

Does anybody have a video of when Semin gets slashed????

anybody????

Last edited by jim lahey: 05-15-2009 at 04:09 PM.
jim lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 03:49 PM
binary0x01

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
That explains a whole hell of a lot.
Yep.

Green and Semin were the ones who showed poor ability to play with injuries.

But if you look at their game style and their injuries it explaines why.

Semin can't shoot and stick handle like he needs to, because he's not a 'along the boards' type of player if he can't be strongon the puck, he'll get pushed over (like he did), and that explains why he couldn't hold on to the puck.

Green, same thing. His whole offensive game is about his awesome wrist shot and slap shot. In defensive zone, he couldn't move anyone cuz of his shoulder.

Sucks :/

Atleast AO doesn't need surgery, that's a huge bonus.