HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

09' Mock draft by Infliction

Old
05-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Infliction

vCash: 500
09' Mock draft by Infliction

First mock draft I've ever made. Did some serious research this year and decided to throw one together, first round only so far.

Open to opinions so fire away.

EDIT: Switched Kadri and Schenn.

1st.NY Islanders: John Tavares
The New York Islanders have a long way to go beyond the draft, and whether they choose JT or the Big Swede, they get a nice push in the right direction. I see them taking Tavares because Long Island needs some excitement to energize their fan base, and there isnt a more exciting player with the puck on his stick in this draft.

2nd.Tampa Bay Lightning: Victor Hedman
I will pull a quote from the recent draft edition of the Hockey News; “The Bolts need the big Swede”. Too true. The major need for Tampa right now is a solid blueline corps. By drafting Hedman they get a franchise defenceman who can get it done at both ends of the ice. The sky is the limit as far as how good he will turn out. He will provide immediate help to Tampa’s top 6, however they would be wise to bring in a good veteran presence on D to groom him.

3rd.Colorado Avalanche: Matt Duchene
Duchene is already touted as a top 6 NHL forward, with the potential to be a future #1 Center. He is also a smart two-way player, having learned from Cody Hodgson. If Sakic retires the Avs will seriously need some help at the Center position and Duchene is the first step toward the right direction. The speedy 5’11, 200 pounder put up 31 goals and 79 pts in 57 games with Brampton in the OHL.

4th.Atlanta Thrashers: Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson
One of the best Swedish skaters in the draft (and that’s saying something) Paajarvi-Svensson is a perfect fit for Atlanta. A playmaking forward who has already competed in a league with men, he would mesh well with a player like Kovalchuk on the PP, and would bring some more speed to the offense.

5th.LA Kings: Brayden Schenn
Brayden Schenn, much like his brother, has a gritty, robust style of play. He plays a strong two way game, attesting to that is the fact that he is often compared to Mike Richards. He's a great choice for Kings, a hard working, two way presence to provide relief for some of the present and future stars on the team. Needs to work on his skating but it is not seen as a huge problem.

6th.Phoenix Coyotes: Evander Kane
The high scoring forward out of Vancouver in the WHL, Evander Kane has had fantastic draft year success, he excelled in the WJC especially, playing a real gritty, extra-mile-or-die-trying kinda game and it proved to be quite the spark. His offensive skills are no slouch either. 48 goals and 96 pts in 61 games along with 2 goals and 6 pts in 6 games at the WJC. He will most likely find his place in the AHL next season.

7th.Toronto Maple Leafs: Nazem Kadri
A speedy, gritty center out of London in the OHL, where he put up 53 assists and 78pts, Kadri is just the type of hardworking skill player Brian Burke and Ron Wilson love. Kadri will most likely find his place somewhere in the bottom 6, but he will have to battle in training camp to get there.

8th.Dallas Stars: Dmitri Kulikov
Kulikov is the next powerplay quarterback for the Dallas Stars, hopefully Zubov stays another few years and shows him the ropes. Kulikov doesnt quit on a play and has great speed. He is Russian, yes, but here is a guy who has learned English and French since coming to North America. That tells me he is ready to stay. Also has a great shot and put up 12 goals and 62 pts in his first year with Drummondville of the QMJHL.

9th.Ottawa Senators: Jared Cowen
Cowen is a monster. He towers at 6’5, 218lbs and has been compared to Braydon Coburn. Make no mistake here, Cowen is a Defensive defenseman, with great speed for his size plus he is competent in the offensive zone. Ottawa needs another rough and tumble defenseman and they need look no further than(*) Jared Cowen.

10th.Edmonton Oilers: Zack Kassian
A pure power forward, Kassian draws comparisons to Milan Lucic and its understandable why. 6’3, 205lbs, he put up 24 goals 63 pts in 61 games with Peterborough in the OHL. He can score and brings a lot to the table, meaning he has some tools that that coaches drule over (No pun intended). The Oilers are lacking in grit and would gladly welcome a player like Kassian. Lets just hope Dustin Penner doesn’t teach him anything.

11th.Nashville Predators:
12th.Minnesota Wild:
13th.Buffalo Sabres:
14th.Florida Panthers:
15th.Anaheim Ducks:
16th.Columbus Blue Jackets:
17th.St.Louis Blues:
18th.Montreal Canadiens:
19th.NY Rangers:
20th.Carolina Hurricanes:
21st.Phoenix Coyotes (From Calgary):
22nd.Philadelphia Flyers:
23rd.Pittsburgh Penguins:
24th.Chicago Blackhawks:
25th.Vancouver Canucks:
26th.New Jersey Devils:
27th.Washington Capitals:
28th.Detroit Red wings:
29th.Boston Bruins:
30th.NY Islanders (From San Jose):

I’ll be doing 11-20 tomorrow.

Last edited by Infliction: 05-27-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Infliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Mcjlockhart89
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Good mock so far, I look forward to the rest of it.

The only pick I didn't like to much was my Oilers, I think they'll go with the far more skilled and faster Scott Glennie, He also has a little sandpaper to his game which further helps his case.

Mcjlockhart89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Don't like Kadri before Kane & Schenn, can't see that happening.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 01:04 PM
Ian Esplen

kadri's pretty high, you must like him

i know the kings went off the board in 07 but i dout they let schenn past them. i see msp going to la or them dealing the pick

good work so far, always great to see another take on the draft

Ian Esplen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 08:30 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

And you more or less now have the correct drafting order except for the final four.

Devlis at 23, yea! Rather still be playing, but what the heck, moved up three spots.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 09:53 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
And you more or less now have the correct drafting order except for the final four.

Devlis at 23, yea! Rather still be playing, but what the heck, moved up three spots.
20 to 30 should be this:

20) Flames [98] > Coyotes (Flames option)
21) Flyers [99]
22) Canucks [100]
23) Devils [106]
24) Capitals [108]
25) Bruins [116]
26) Sharks [117] > Islanders
27) Hurricanes [97]
28) Penguins [99]
29) Blackhawks [104]
30) Red Wings [112]

but 27-30 will change depending on the Conference and Stanley Cup Finals.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 09:56 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infliction View Post
8th.Dallas Stars: Dmitri Kulikov
Kulikov is the next powerplay quarterback for the Dallas Stars, hopefully Zubov stays another year and shows him the ropes. Kulikov doesnt quit on a play and has great speed. He is Russian, yes, but here is a guy who has learned English and French since coming to North America. That tells me he is ready to stay. Also has a great shot and put up 12 goals and 62 pts in his first year with Drummondville of the QMJHL.
Do you think Kulikov would make the jump from the QMJHL to the NHL next season?

Old
05-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Kingjordan

Horrible Kings Pick... Kings would take Evander Kane or Brayden Schenn

Kingjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 11:42 PM
Infliction

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Do you think Kulikov would make the jump from the QMJHL to the NHL next season?
No. I think he's one of the surest bets in the draft, but he needs to hone his skills, either in the Q or in the A, or both. I think it would benefit him more to jump directly to pro (AHL), but thats just me. Good eye spotting that, let me correct myself; Hopefully Zubov stays to see Kulikov's rookie season, as Kuli would benefit greatly from it.

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback, I've taken it all into consideration and I agree with some of your opinions. Kadri is quite high, I'll change that. He's still a definite top 10 pick. Sorry for the wait, couldn't find the time to do 11-20 yesterday. Hope you enjoy.

11th.Nashville Predators: Jordan Schroeder
One scout called him an "Offensive machine." He's right too. As a freshman at U of M, he put up 45 pts in 35 games. He is undersized but has a very strong core, and as we all know size matters much less in the new NHL than it used to. If Schroeder falls to the Preds, they will pounce at the opportunity as they are in need of offensive talent within their system.

12th.Minnesota Wild: Jacob Josefson
The speedy Swede is a great two way player who has very good offensive instincts. He put up 16 pts in 50 games while limited to a fourth line role garnering 10 minutes of ice time a game playing with men in the SEL. A responsible two-way offensive prospect, Josefson is a perfect fit for Minnesota's defensive system.

13th.Buffalo Sabres: Simon Despres
Despres has had a disappointing year but he has a great set of tools and if he can harness them, he will be a force. At 6'4, Despres is a good skater who plays a physical game. Putting up 32 pts in 66 games with a porous Saint John squad in the QMJHL he has shown some offensive ability as well. Next year will surely be a make or break season for him. He's exactly what the doctor ordered for Buffalo, a big strong defenseman to add bulk to their rather small squad.

14th.Florida Panthers: Scott Glennie
A fierce competitor, Scott Glennie is projected to be an offensive forward. He's a good skater with a very good all around game. Knows where to go in the offensive zone and gets it done. Needs time to fine tune his defensive game a bit before he reaches the show.

15th.Anaheim Ducks: Oliver Ekman-Larsson
He was left off the Swedish world junior squad but don't let that fool you. He can move the puck with ease and has great vision to go with his strong skating ability. If the Ducks want to have continued success on defense after the big names move on, they will need to start drafting defenseman and Ekman-Larsson is a great way to start.

16th.Columbus Blue Jackets: Ryan Ellis
A 5'10 offensive defenseman, Ellis put up 7 pts in 6 games at the WJC for Canada to go along with 89pts in 57 games with Windsor in the OHL. He moves the puck incredibly well and does so with such calamity, it's really something to watch. Also has a great shot and solid skating, which could use some work but is not a detriment. Scouts do not think his size will be an issue moving forward as long as he is paired with a bigger defenseman. The Jackets are in dyer need of some defense in their system, and having Ellis to go along with Kris Russell to quarterback both powerplays in the future would be absolutely lethal.

17th.St.Louis Blues: John Moore
A fluid skating defenseman, Moore would be a wise choice for St.Louis. If he maximizes his potential, he could be a top 4 D-man with great offensive capabilities, on the other hand however, he has great lengths to travel before he achieves that and could just as easily be a bust. Playing in the USHL he dominates at both ends of the ice, largely because he can be caught pinching and still get back into position in the blink of an eye.

18th.Montreal Canadiens: Peter Holland
After his shaky playoff performance, Holland's draft stock dropped for me. He doesn't have his game together just yet and is having trouble putting a consistent effort out on the ice. I've heard the words "lackadaisical" and "lazy" thrown around with this kid but I think that's quite a stretch. To quote an article in THN,"What some see as a lackadaisical attitude, others see as an analytic mind on the ice." We'll find out more about him next season.

19th.NY Rangers: Carter Ashton
In his first full season in the WHL playing for Lethbridge, he scored 30 goals and 50pts in 70 games. At 6'3, 200lbs he's a big body who can skate well and has great skills around the net. Not unlike most players in this draft, his game isn't yet complete and he has work to do yet in all aspects, which would explain his difficulties stringing consistent efforts together. Needs to get used to his frame and use it to his advantage more.

20th.Phoenix Coyotes (From Calgary): Drew Shore
Like Ashton, Shore has suffered from consistency issues. He is a great skater who plays a two way game, and at 6'2, 198lbs he's got a good frame that will be even stronger once he fully fills out. At his best he plays a very energetic and hard forechecking game and that's what scouts hope he will learn to play every night.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm frustrated that I have Schroeder dropping so far, I originally had him going 9th to Ottawa, but its quite difficult to edit a mock draft after you've made your initial picks. If I could, I would change Kadri going to the Kings with Schenn, and the same for Kadri and the Leafs. Maybe I will lol.

I'll be finishing this once the playoffs are finished.

EDIT: Changed Schroeder, Josefson and Glennie.

Last edited by Infliction: 05-27-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old
05-16-2009, 11:49 PM
BigG44

I think Dallas will pick Schroeder or Kulikov if they stay at 8. If not, I'd say Nashville could take him. He and Colin Wilson have been tearing it up at the International level. I wouldn't be shocked to see them together as pros.

Old
05-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Filip Forceberg

Quote:
I think Dallas will pick Schroeder or Kulikov if they stay at 8. If not, I'd say Nashville could take him. He and Colin Wilson have been tearing it up at the International level. I wouldn't be shocked to see them together as pros.
God, I hope so.

Filip Forceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 02:50 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaDORES View Post
God, I hope so.
Do you think Nashville would trade up to get him?

Based on last year's trades in the Top 10, teams were getting a 2nd or 2nd and 3rd to move 2 spots. Would Nashville give up a 2nd and 3rd to go from 11th to 8th? Maybe a 2nd in 09 and the 3rd in 2010 like the Islanders-Maple Leaf trade.

I'd love to see Schroeder in Dallas, but I think I'd rather see Dallas trade back twice picking up 2 extra 2nds and staying around the Top 15. I believe Zach Budish would still be there and Dallas could hopefully get one of Leddy, Erixon, or Olsen in the early 2nd, Carl Klingberg, and Seth Helgeson later in the 2nd.

Old
05-23-2009, 02:54 AM
Infliction

Quote:
Do you think Nashville would trade up to get him?

Based on last year's trades in the Top 10, teams were getting a 2nd or 2nd and 3rd to move 2 spots. Would Nashville give up a 2nd and 3rd to go from 11th to 8th? Maybe a 2nd in 09 and the 3rd in 2010 like the Islanders-Maple Leaf trade.

I'd love to see Schroeder in Dallas, but I think I'd rather see Dallas trade back twice picking up 2 extra 2nds and staying around the Top 15. I believe Zach Budish would still be there and Dallas could hopefully get one of Leddy, Erixon, or Olsen in the early 2nd, Carl Klingberg, and Seth Helgeson later in the 2nd.

Personally, I don't think Dallas will let go of that pick unless it's a VERY good deal for them. Think about it, when was the last time they had this high a pick? They will turnaround and be playoff contenders next year (Just like Philly did in 07/08 after 06/07) and having the luxury of this pick is a huge bonus. Unless they get an offer to move up I don't see it happening. What is their cap situation going into this off season anyway? Could they even afford a big name player if one were offered?

Old
05-23-2009, 09:24 PM
loxcane

Far better chance Schroeder goes in the top 10 than Kadri. Thanks for taking the time to go through this though.

loxcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Obama

The leafs will not pick Kardi 7th Overall.

Obama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 10:08 PM
I am Canadian
Foreverly Hopeful

Kadri hates the leafs, we hate him back. If Burke picks him 7 I will rip his head off.

I am Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 04:48 PM
Infliction

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Canadian View Post
Kadri hates the leafs, we hate him back. If Burke picks him 7 I will rip his head off.
Sources? I've researched it, and found these two tidbids;

"Recently, Kadri -- a life-long Montreal Canadiens fan -- had been suggested to fall into the spot around where the Toronto Maple Leafs would pick.

"My parents would love that with Toronto only being two hours away," he said with a big grin. "It's just going to be an honour to be drafted."

Source: http://www.lfpress.ca/newsstand/Spor...50196-sun.html

And,

"Kadri has already spoken to a lot of NHL teams. He hasn't talked to the Maple Leafs yet, who own the No. 7 pick.

"I'm sure I will because they fall in that range (where he might be picked)," Kadri said. "It'll be different after rocking a Habs jersey my whole life but no, Toronto would be awesome."

Source: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...54056-sun.html

He would fit into the Leafs system well. Just because he grew up a Habs fan (I myself have as well, and disliking the leafs comes with it) does not mean he will not play for Toronto if they draft him. He is not an immature child who will piss and moan like Lindros. Speaking for myself, I'm past the stage of hating teams, I'm a die hard Habs fan and I'm still able to watch a Leafs-Boston game and enjoy the hockey being played. I don't have to root for a team to appreciate good hockey. Not everybody see's it that way, and I understand that, but there is no way the Maple Leafs will shy away from a great prospect because he grew up a Habs fan. If anything, it's one of the best teams he could go to considering they're division rivals. He would be playing in Montreal many times a year.

As for Schroeder going ahead of Kadri, I stand by my decision. Kadri is ranked higher by the ISS, THN and TSN, where Schroeder is ranked higher by NHL CS. Those are the 4 main resources I've used. That being said, Schroeder will be picked before the 14th pick, I've already explained why I had him dropping so far. Looking at it now I may swap Schroeder and Josefson.

I appreciate your time and opinions, thanks. Keep em' coming.

Old
05-25-2009, 08:50 PM
catters078

Dallas' D will be set for the next 5-7 years if we can draft Cowan (preferably) or Kulikov.

The stars already have 3 1st round picks on the blue line (Niskanen, Fistric and Vishnevksiy) and 2 2nd rounders (Daley and Grossman) adding one more from pick 8 would really set them up for the future..

Having said that, I wouldnt mind schroeder either, Hes a Zach Parise type player who I think will put up Martin St Louis type numbers in his career..And you can never have enough speed up front..

Getting very excited about the draft...

EDIT- If Cowan didnt do his knee, he would go at pick 3 or 4 IMO. He could be the Luke Schenn of this draft

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 02:09 AM
Eye Floater

Quote:

12th.Minnesota Wild: Jacob Josefson
The speedy Swede is a great two way player who has very good offensive instincts. He put up 16 pts in 50 games while limited to a fourth line role garnering 10 minutes of ice time a game playing with men in the SEL. A responsible two-way offensive prospect, Josefson is a perfect fit for Minnesota's defensive system.
I don't mind the Wild taking Josefson, I would just like to point out that our new GM (Chuck Fletcher) has stated that we will be playing an offensive, aggressive system, that I'm assuming will be similar to the Penguins' system since Fletcher came from Pittsburgh. The days of the Wild trapping are over. From now on, you guys might actually enjoy watching your team play the Wild.

Eye Floater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 02:32 AM
Infliction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Alberks View Post
I don't mind the Wild taking Josefson, I would just like to point out that our new GM (Chuck Fletcher) has stated that we will be playing an offensive, aggressive system, that I'm assuming will be similar to the Penguins' system since Fletcher came from Pittsburgh. The days of the Wild trapping are over. From now on, you guys might actually enjoy watching your team play the Wild.
Very glad to hear that, I wasn't aware he would be implementing that system. It will do the franchise good to play a more exciting style of hockey especially considering they have some very talented players who hopefully will excel under a more offensive style of play. Maybe PM Bouchard will get his game together and who knows, maybe the change will have an effect on Gabby's decision, although I doubt it.

Last edited by Infliction: 05-30-2009 at 02:37 AM.
Old
05-28-2009, 07:12 AM
CaptPantalones

not a bad Buffalo pick, but I see them going Ellis if Kassian isnt around

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 09:08 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Personally, I don't think Dallas will let go of that pick unless it's a VERY good deal for them. Think about it, when was the last time they had this high a pick? They will turnaround and be playoff contenders next year (Just like Philly did in 07/08 after 06/07) and having the luxury of this pick is a huge bonus. Unless they get an offer to move up I don't see it happening. What is their cap situation going into this off season anyway? Could they even afford a big name player if one were offered?
They have the space to add someone with a decent sized contract, but I highly doubt they'd trade the pick for a player. Like I said, if they can pick up some 2nds, I wouldn't be shocked to see them trade back especially considering the success they’ve had in the first 2 rounds.

In the past 10 years:

The Good 1st Round: Matt Niskanen (2005), Mark Fistric (2004), Steve Ott (2000)
The Bad 1st Round: Martin Vagner (2002)***, Jason Bacashihua (2001)
The Unknown 1st Round: Ivan Vishnevskiy (2006)

***I'm calling mulligan on Vagner. He was never signed, and Dallas drafted Nicklas Grossman with the compensatory pick.

Of all the 1st round picks, the highest was 25th (Steve Ott). Hitting on 4 of 6 very late 1st round picks is above average IMO. I know Vishnevksiy hasn't done anything in the NHL yet, but he seems to be on track to be a productive member of the Stars maybe even as soon as 2009.

The Good 2nd Round: James Neal (2005), Ray Sawada (2004), Nicklas Grossman (2004), Loui Eriksson (2003), B.J. Crombeen (2003), Trevor Daley (2002), Dan Ellis (2000)
The Bad 2nd Round: Johan Fransson (2004), Vojtech Polak (2003), Janos Vas (2002), Tobias Stephan (2002) ***, Marius Holtet (2002), Michael Ryan (1999)
The Unknown 2nd Round: Tyler Beskorowany (2008), Nico Sacchetti (2007)

Hitting on over 50% of your 2nd round picks (not including Beskorowany or Sacchetti yet) is above average, and I'm not sold Stephan is a bust. He didn't mesh with Dallas' coaching staff, and I think he could find success with another team like Dan Ellis did.

Old
05-29-2009, 01:26 AM
Infliction

Quote:
They have the space to add someone with a decent sized contract, but I highly doubt they'd trade the pick for a player. Like I said, if they can pick up some 2nds, I wouldn't be shocked to see them trade back especially considering the success they’ve had in the first 2 rounds.

In the past 10 years:

The Good 1st Round: Matt Niskanen (2005), Mark Fistric (2004), Steve Ott (2000)
The Bad 1st Round: Martin Vagner (2002)***, Jason Bacashihua (2001)
The Unknown 1st Round: Ivan Vishnevskiy (2006)

***I'm calling mulligan on Vagner. He was never signed, and Dallas drafted Nicklas Grossman with the compensatory pick.

Of all the 1st round picks, the highest was 25th (Steve Ott). Hitting on 4 of 6 very late 1st round picks is above average IMO. I know Vishnevksiy hasn't done anything in the NHL yet, but he seems to be on track to be a productive member of the Stars maybe even as soon as 2009.

The Good 2nd Round: James Neal (2005), Ray Sawada (2004), Nicklas Grossman (2004), Loui Eriksson (2003), B.J. Crombeen (2003), Trevor Daley (2002), Dan Ellis (2000)
The Bad 2nd Round: Johan Fransson (2004), Vojtech Polak (2003), Janos Vas (2002), Tobias Stephan (2002) ***, Marius Holtet (2002), Michael Ryan (1999)
The Unknown 2nd Round: Tyler Beskorowany (2008), Nico Sacchetti (2007)

Hitting on over 50% of your 2nd round picks (not including Beskorowany or Sacchetti yet) is above average, and I'm not sold Stephan is a bust. He didn't mesh with Dallas' coaching staff, and I think he could find success with another team like Dan Ellis did.
Impressive. I just feel, with that track record imagine what player they'll snag with such a high pick? They have a knack for getting future NHLers, if they keep the pick they have a shot at getting a highly skilled future NHLer. Just my opinion, we'll see how it unfolds though. You do have a good point.

Old
05-29-2009, 11:55 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Impressive. I just feel, with that track record imagine what player they'll snag with such a high pick? They have a knack for getting future NHLers, if they keep the pick they have a shot at getting a highly skilled future NHLer. Just my opinion, we'll see how it unfolds though. You do have a good point.
Either way I'll be happy.

Regarding adding a higher priced veteran, I think that door is closed, and you could see some Dallas guys with big tags moved.

This is the latest from Tom Hicks:

Quote:
I also asked Hicks about the Stars and the salary cap. Co-general manager Brett Hull said before the end of the season that the team wouldn't be spending up to the cap again. Hicks wouldn't say where they'd fall in the range of the basement and ceiling of the cap, arguing it was too early to know. "But teams won't act like that cap is a magnet anymore," Hicks said. "That just doesn't work." So you can bet the Stars won't be too close to that ceiling. We just don't know yet how close to the bottom of that spectrum they'll be.
This really pisses me off because the Stars are a profitable team. I think Forbes had them as the 7th most profitable team last year, but that might be high. His other crappy investments are now dragging the Stars down. I thought that Dallas would at least be somewhat close to the cap, $50 or $54 million, but that doesn’t appear to be the case.

I highly doubt Brad Richards, Mike Riberio, or Brenden Morrow get moved. I'd say it's virtually impossible, but I'll leave some room for error. Modano is as good as gone next season, and the team loves Brad Richards. He's a perfect fit for Eriksson, and I have a feeling he'll also be playing with James Neal or Jamie Benn. Dallas can't get anyone cheaper than Morrow or Ribeiro to do what they do for the Stars either.

That pretty much leaves Turco, but that’s going to be tough given his performance in 2008 and the fact Dallas doesn’t have another goalie that is ready to start.

This off season is going to be more interesting that I had hoped for to say the least.

Old
05-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Infliction

Quote:
Either way I'll be happy.

Regarding adding a higher priced veteran, I think that door is closed, and you could see some Dallas guys with big tags moved.

This is the latest from Tom Hicks:

This really pisses me off because the Stars are a profitable team. I think Forbes had them as the 7th most profitable team last year, but that might be high. His other crappy investments are now dragging the Stars down. I thought that Dallas would at least be somewhat close to the cap, $50 or $54 million, but that doesn’t appear to be the case.

I highly doubt Brad Richards, Mike Riberio, or Brenden Morrow get moved. I'd say it's virtually impossible, but I'll leave some room for error. Modano is as good as gone next season, and the team loves Brad Richards. He's a perfect fit for Eriksson, and I have a feeling he'll also be playing with James Neal or Jamie Benn. Dallas can't get anyone cheaper than Morrow or Ribeiro to do what they do for the Stars either.

That pretty much leaves Turco, but that’s going to be tough given his performance in 2008 and the fact Dallas doesn’t have another goalie that is ready to start.

This off season is going to be more interesting that I had hoped for to say the least.
I think Richards really really needs to improve defensively, I didn't follow him this year so I don't know how he progressed, but I think he's one of the most overrated players in the league. If anyone I think they should trade him considering how expensive he is. It would be a smart decision to trade him for an up and coming star, a Phil Kessel kinda guy, somebody who will be a superstar soon. Although, you say he meshes well with Erikson and I didn't watch the Stars this year so I can't really say whether it would be worth it to keep him.