HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2009 Draft Thread

Old
06-23-2009, 10:54 AM
EroCaps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Um, what?

Gustafsson is a big goal-scoring type center who likes to hit people. Josefson is a defensively responsible playmaker who's not especially physical. He compares much closer to Backstrom than Gustafsson.

I suppose they're both Swedish...

From HF:
Quote:
Gustafsson reminds quite a bit of his father Bengt-Ňke. He is a highly skilled two-way center with very good hockey sense. Gustafsson has good size, decent strength and plays a hard-nosed game where he often likes to play the body.

In the offensive zone, he comfortably sets up plays and leads the team with his play. Gustafssonís puck control is good and he easily finds good passing opportunities. Although perhaps not a natural goal scorer, he does have a good release

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:03 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
He's a fine player, but everything I've read or heard on the guy describes a clone of Anton Gustafsson.

I'd rather they take one of a handful of talented, gritty RWs.
He's much further along than AnGus was in his draft year. He really is closer to Backstrom in terms of progress. Stylistically all three aren't that far apart, obviously Backstrom is more on the finesse end of the spectrum and AnGus more the physical end but all 3 are two-way pivots.

There are a couple of wingers that I agree would be excellent targets for the Caps. But if, for some reason, Josefson falls to the Caps he's almost certainly going to be BPA so you have to really consider him.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Yeah, what NBTW said. Much more dynamic offensive potential there and that would potentially slot Gustafsson into a more ideal third line or shutdown spot. Not that AG doesn't necessarily have scoring-line potential...he's just not as dynamic as Josefson at this point.

The thing about those gritty RWs is that they're not all that big and you wonder if that type of game is really going to necessarily translate that well at the next level. That and McPhee doesn't tend to take players that small in the first round. The smallest player McPhee has drafted in the first round this decade was Boyd Gordon and he had a bit of size on a guy like Ferraro. Palmieri is a stronger and faster player at this point but taking him would be a break from pattern. Klingberg is bigger but a LW and a bit of a reach at that point. IMO Josefson would definitely be BPA in that scenario, especially given some of the front office's recent statements about strengthening the center position. One can only hope other GMs think he's too safe a pick and pass on him for what they believe are higher upside players. More likely...McPhee would have to trade up about ten spots.

Part of the debate that kind of gets lost on Tavares when talking about his playoff performance is that he had shoulder injuries he was playing through. A few bounces the other way in the multiple overtimes in that series and London advances rather than Windsor and maybe wins the Memorial Cup.

As Drake alluded to there's something to be said about having a game-breaking goal-scorer when you really need that goal. Caps fans know that feeling of confidence quite well and to have one of those players is pretty special. Not that Tavares has Ovechkin's scoring talent but he was pretty clutch and craft at the WJCs and has the potential to be a more dynamic Heatley.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:05 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

HF profiles are essentially worthless for scouting reports. He had 10 goals and 13 assists in his draft year, and 6 goals and 4 assist this past year.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:10 AM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
He's much further along than AnGus was in his draft year. He really is closer to Backstrom in terms of progress. Stylistically all three aren't that far apart, obviously Backstrom is more on the finesse end of the spectrum and AnGus more the physical end but all 3 are two-way pivots.

There are a couple of wingers that I agree would be excellent targets for the Caps. But if, for some reason, Josefson falls to the Caps he's almost certainly going to be BPA so you have to really consider him.
Plus selecting Josefson or Leblanc would potentially solidify the center position in a few years. Backstrom, Josefson/Leblanc, Gustafsson, Steckel/Gordon has the potential to be a very strong quartet. I understand Ero's preference for a gritty RW, but wouldnt a strong middle flanked by Ovechkin, Semin, Bouchard, Osala, Bourque etc be the most ideal structure?

TheFountainhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:10 AM
EroCaps

Just a preference...like I said.

Wouldn't be upset if they took Josefson.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
....there's something to be said about having a game-breaking goal-scorer when you really need that goal. Caps fans know that feeling of confidence quite well and to have one of those players is pretty special. Not that Tavares has Ovechkin's scoring talent but he was pretty clutch and craft at the WJCs and has the potential to be a more dynamic Heatley.
Yeah. There's just nothing quite so desperate as the feeling when you have a team that can't score enough goals to get by, and that has been the Islanders for a few years now. Lots of character, not enough offense.

The Caps had that problem circa 1999 or 2000, but they don't have that problem now. As fans, we tend today to look wistfully at players who elevate their games to a certain level at crunch time, who bring leadership intangibles, who stir the drink.

For a team like the Islanders, though, a pure goal scorer is akin to a drink of water for a parched throat in the desert. If you don't have enough of it on your club, then adding goals is just as attractive as an all-world defenseman.

Ultimately, Tavares is probably their guy, but they can also likely do very well selecting one of the others. Short of trading out of the top three, there may be no bad decisions to be made on Friday.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:16 AM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Just a preference...like I said.

Wouldn't be upset if they took Josefson.
I wouldnt be upset with any of your suggestions (particularly Palmieri; who if he is anything like Drury, would be a wonderful addition.) Landing that potential number two center just sounds so appealing to me at the moment.

Old
06-23-2009, 11:18 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegr8 View Post
Plus selecting Josefson or Leblanc would potentially solidify the center position in a few years. Backstrom, Josefson/Leblanc, Gustafsson, Steckel/Gordon has the potential to be a very strong quartet. I understand Ero's preference for a gritty RW, but wouldnt a strong middle flanked by Ovechkin, Semin, Bouchard, Osala, Bourque etc be the most ideal structure?
Yep. At the moment our center depth isn't great, and it'll be even worse if Broda morphs into a winger full time (as he started to do in Calgary). Right now our "future" for scoring Cs are Perreault and AnGus... and that's about it, unless you think Wilson is going to make the jump or Morin will suddenly become relevant to the organization.

What happens if Perreault can't translate to the NHL, or if AnGus never develops right due to injury? You really can't go wrong by shoring up the center depth.

I certainly wouldn't complain if they picked one of the many good wingers in that spot. But you really can't go wrong with a guy like Josefson if he falls to you.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:27 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
For a team like the Islanders, though, a pure goal scorer is akin to a drink of water for a parched throat in the desert. If you don't have enough of it on your club, then adding goals is just as attractive as an all-world defenseman.
Absolutely. Aside from how much it would really fire up their fan base, getting that sort of game-breaker can really energize the team as a whole and give them a bit of much-needed swagger.

Their defensive core definitely needs strengthening but they've got a load of picks in the first few rounds this year and plenty of cap room in an off-season where there might not be a ton of it to go around in the league. If they get a bit lucky and select well it could turn out as their version of Washington's '04...and for their sake I hope it is.

Old
06-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Cush
-inator

anyone an ESPN Insider? Can't view their mock

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:34 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
anyone an ESPN Insider? Can't view their mock
24. Washington Capitals
Landon Ferraro, center, Red Deer Rebels (WHL): Not much room on the Caps' first two lines, but Ferraro could have an impact as an energy player in the highly skilled mix down the line. Washington has artists, but could use a couple of house painters.

Edit: It was written by Gare Joyce who posts here quite a bit.

06-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Allan Muir's mock.

Eh...wouldn't mind trading down in that scenario.

Old
06-23-2009, 11:40 AM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Allan Muir's mock.

How about the Green dig?

"Elliott is drawing plenty of comparisons to Mike Green (both are offensive defensemen who played for the Blades), but they're not really accurate. First, no one needs to leave a trail of bread crumbs for Elliott to find his own zone...."

Must be a Pens fan

Old
06-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Quote:
Allan Muir's mock.

I'd like us to take Jeremy Morin in that situation.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Allan Muir is the Bryan Muir of hockey journalism.

Bob McKenzie's chat.

Old
06-23-2009, 11:51 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

It looks like there is some decent depth in the early twenties.

What is the keep it/trade it consensus amongst you draft cognosenti?

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:53 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
What is the keep it/trade it consensus among you draft cognosenti?
I don't concider myself draft cognosenti anymore...but I still think they should trade the pick in a bigger deal. If they can't work anything out for an existing player...why not try to trade up into the top 10?

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Bob McKenzie says that his scouting circle is finding a lot more warts in players in the 20s, for example, than was the case last year. He interprets that as an indication that this isn't necessarily the strongest crop compared to recent years.

In a good draft year, I'd almost expect the Caps to deal their pick as there could be some real solid interest. If the draft is seen as a little weak, teams will almost go through the motions, trust in their scouts, and interest in the Caps' pick might be fairly modest.

Outside of the top ten, and maybe as late as the top 15, this doesn't appear to be an exceptional draft. Why give up substantial assets for a pick in the mid-20s under that scenario? I could see Washington shopping its pick and finding no takers.

Old
06-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Langway
Intangibles

All depends on what happens between 1-23 and what kind of trade angles there are. Trade up, trade down, ship it...whatever works.

McKenzie's take on the 20s on is interesting. You don't otherwise get the impression from the scouting services, for instance. They seem to talk up the depth this year and find it about on par with last year and maybe a little better once you get into that 30-40 range...but entirely likely that NHL amateur scouts a bit more discriminating and skeptical in general.

If the Caps share that standpoint then trading back may be the way to go if moving up or out isn't an option and they don't like taking a player there. Pick up a guy like O'Reilly a little later on, maybe add a second from a team that really likes a particular player (be it in this year's draft or next year) and try to work a little asset management in that way.

Old
06-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Incidentally, this is the source (the link for McKenzie's chat was also posted above): http://tsn.ca/feature/?id=11904

Bob McKenzie: "I donít like the branding of one draft a strong one or a weak one. All the drafts, to some degree, are the same. There are great players out there every year. Itís a question of finding them. But a lot of them donít get picked until the later rounds (see the Detroit Red Wings). We did know 2003 was exceptional at the time, even before that draft and it hasnít disappointed. I have been reading and hearing a lot about how strong this draft is, but I can only gauge it by the comments I get from the scouts. And this year, I found a lot of scouts being more negative than positive about a lot of the prospects earlier than usual in the rankings. By the time I got to No. 20 in these rankings, the scouts easily had more cons than pros about these prospects. That doesnít mean the scouts are necessarily right; this is a very inexact science, but it tells me theyíre a lot less excited about this yearís class, going into it anyway, than they were a year ago. For what that is worth."

As he notes, this is an inexact science, and he's passing on information. Yet his cadre of scouts produce an exceptional attach rate each year, when you look at his mocks compared to actual first-round results. They seem awfully well plugged in to team tendencies. Whether that translates to accurate reads on whether these kids eventually pan out... well, as he notes, this is all prognostication and even from the most well-informed of scouts, there is a healthy dose of speculation involved here.

Old
06-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Chiarelli looking to move up from 25, said he's talked with a few GMs to move up a couple of spots and take one player in particular. He thinks there are four players he deems NHL-ready and he's targeting two that aren't from that group (sounds like they're defensemen). He also thinks last year was a bit deeper.

Last edited by Langway: 06-23-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old
06-23-2009, 03:46 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
I want someone that plays with heart, someone that we dont have to shock to bring to life. Average size average speed, above average heart. O'Reilly perhaps. But i keep thinking Drew Shore for some reason, my first knee jerk hunch. No offensive defensemen, no midgets and no giants. Trades are fine with me.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Tarik just said the GMGM might be targeting Landon Ferraro in the draft. Hes the son of Ray Ferraro and is said to be one of the fastest players in the draft.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...andon_ferraro/
http://www.mynhldraft.com/2009/NHL-D...Landon-Ferraro

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 04:51 PM
Cush
-inator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I want someone that plays with heart, someone that we dont have to shock to bring to life. Average size average speed, above average heart. O'Reilly perhaps. But i keep thinking Drew Shore for some reason, my first knee jerk hunch. No offensive defensemen, no midgets and no giants. Trades are fine with me.
Pretty much how I feel, no puck movers and no 6'4+ pylons

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote