HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nyi-Col

Old
05-16-2009, 01:09 AM
tgarrett29

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
To COL:
(Rights to) LW Mitch Fritz (0.500)
'09 5th Round Pick

To NYI:
RW Marek Svatos (2.050)
C T.J. Hensick (0.850)
RW Darcy Tucker (2.250)

----

For the Islanders, they get three guys in the final year of their contracts who could use fresh starts. Svatos gives the Islanders a good secondary scoring option if paired with Bailey or Weight (both of whom are night and day better than Tyler Arnason).

For Colorado, this is nothing more than a salary dump. Mitch Fritz is horrible, but at least he can fight.
I like the thought process on doing something realistic to clear cap space. As Darth pointed out, doubtful NYI takes something like this on unless a useable asset is going back to Long Island. You may not like the players in the proposal, but I think Shadow is dead on that something needs to be sooner rather than later to start clearing cap space. No way are the Avs going to be in a position to make a deep playoff run next year barring a miracle. I'd rather prep now in clearing salary for brighter days ahead in the Avs future because if they don't, there are going to be difficult choices to make at a time when the Avs may be in a position to compete.

tgarrett29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 03:47 AM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgarrett29 View Post
I like the thought process on doing something realistic to clear cap space. As Darth pointed out, doubtful NYI takes something like this on unless a useable asset is going back to Long Island. You may not like the players in the proposal, but I think Shadow is dead on that something needs to be sooner rather than later to start clearing cap space. No way are the Avs going to be in a position to make a deep playoff run next year barring a miracle. I'd rather prep now in clearing salary for brighter days ahead in the Avs future because if they don't, there are going to be difficult choices to make at a time when the Avs may be in a position to compete.
Pop quiz everyone! how long are Svatos' and Tucker's contracts...

Someone explain how this helps the Avs I really honestly dont understand. Giving up an asset (Hensick) for guys who will be off the books long before the Avs are ready to compete again.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 09:46 AM
tgarrett29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
Pop quiz everyone! how long are Svatos' and Tucker's contracts...

Someone explain how this helps the Avs I really honestly dont understand. Giving up an asset (Hensick) for guys who will be off the books long before the Avs are ready to compete again.
I'm not saying I would do the deal as written ... I'm saying that if the opportunity arises for the Avs to clear some salary space, they should consider it. In Svatos' case, are we really looking to resign him after next season? I know his play in '10 will be a major factor and perhaps he alone can fetch more than a 5th rounder now or close to the trade deadline. Can Hensick step in and fill his role? Will Hensick even be given the opportunity to do this? An even bigger 'what-if' is the salary cap 2 seasons from now. After watching the Avs get burned with the cap and the end result being Foote and Forsberg becoming casualities, I'd hate to see the Avs have to repeat this history with tough decisions to make. If the cap ends up dropping or it becomes clear it will around this time next year, Shadow's proposal is going to become much, MUCH more expensive! Either way, I still say I agree with Shadow's thought process on this and say if we can clear some cap space by trading away the right players or unnecessary luxuries, we should.

tgarrett29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 11:50 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Let's assume for a moment that the Isles do draft Tavares

Comeau - Tavares - Okposo
Bergenheim - Weight - Neilsen
Tambellini - Bailey - Hunter

Neither guy would get a regular shift, even on a team as weak as NYI. Tucker probably wouldn't even dress regularly.
Tavares-Weight-Okposo
Bergenheim-Bailey-
Comeau-Nielsen-Hunter

There's a spot on right wing if those were the lines, and I'm not sure if I'm missing anyone. I have a strong feeling Tambellini will not be on the Islanders next year, and Joensuu will in the middle of the year.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post
Tavares-Weight-Okposo
Bergenheim-Bailey-
Comeau-Nielsen-Hunter

There's a spot on right wing if those were the lines, and I'm not sure if I'm missing anyone. I have a strong feeling Tambellini will not be on the Islanders next year, and Joensuu will in the middle of the year.

Actually, I think Nielsen has said that he is as comfortable at RW as he is at center.

05-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgarrett29 View Post
I'm not saying I would do the deal as written ... I'm saying that if the opportunity arises for the Avs to clear some salary space, they should consider it. In Svatos' case, are we really looking to resign him after next season? I know his play in '10 will be a major factor and perhaps he alone can fetch more than a 5th rounder now or close to the trade deadline. Can Hensick step in and fill his role? Will Hensick even be given the opportunity to do this? An even bigger 'what-if' is the salary cap 2 seasons from now. After watching the Avs get burned with the cap and the end result being Foote and Forsberg becoming casualities, I'd hate to see the Avs have to repeat this history with tough decisions to make. If the cap ends up dropping or it becomes clear it will around this time next year, Shadow's proposal is going to become much, MUCH more expensive! Either way, I still say I agree with Shadow's thought process on this and say if we can clear some cap space by trading away the right players or unnecessary luxuries, we should.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=COL

Colorado has five players under contract for the '10-'11 season. I don't know how they're going to get burned by the cap in the long run. Maybe next year they'll have a problem, but beyond that they won't.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

so basically your saying that you should dump the salary, sign a few players and suddenly your back in the playoffs?

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote