HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Here's the thing that I just can't get past.

Old
05-15-2009, 11:02 AM
DarrenBanks56

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doakacola View Post
Did everyone just get thru watching what I did? Does any sane, rational human being really think any team with Hnidy and Montador in the top 6 and Wideman playing like he did has any reasonable chance to get to the Finals? Pittsburgh would certainly have beaten Boston also all things regarding injuries being equal.
Their D wasn't mobile and transitional enough and wouldn't have been in any future series.

I trust PC to address this for next year.
Im sorry, but I think we wouldve beaten Pitt rather easily- 5 game range.
I think Carolina was our toughest challenge. The only time Pitt beat us in regulation was when we were at our worst I believe.

I think Carolina is worn out though now. Im pretty sure theyre dead tired after 2 7 game series. But if they manage to keep up their legs, they can handle Pittsburgh.

DarrenBanks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 11:02 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReal13Linseman View Post
In a Cap system, there are far fewer "next years" than under the old system. We stand to lose several major contributors and next year's team could end up substantially weaker than this year's team.

That's the cruelty of the cap system.
Completely agree.

People can talk all they want about our young talent, and we have some, but all that means is that we're likely to be a playoff team next year. We finished first in the Conference this season. There is no way to finish higher. We were mostly healthy, and Thomas didn't choke or cost us any games in the playoffs. I'm sorry, but the notion of being young and talented is small consolation. You only get so many kicks at the can, and this one whiffed.

bp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 11:10 AM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
Sure, but how? Hnidy out, Hunwick in to top 6... but what else? Ference is a part of that quick transitional game and so is Wideman. Ward is the guy who doesn't fit in, but good luck replacing him with a better player for under 2.5M.
Probably very wishful thinking but I would like to see Alexandrov signed and paired with Chara next year. If Hal Gill can walk directly into the NHL from PC and play with Ray Bourque, why can't one of the best young D men in Russia be paired with Chara for the year. They see the KHL isn't far in play frm the AHL so this kid has already played 2-3 years of minor league hockey. Hunwick/Ference/Alexandrov would surely be better than Hnidy/Montador. 2 out of the 3 they already have.

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 11:10 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
In a Cap system, there are far fewer "next years" than under the old system. We stand to lose several major contributors and next year's team could end up substantially weaker than this year's team.

That's the cruelty of the cap system.
I understand this, but what "major contributors" are the B's going to lose that are not "replaceable"??

Fernandez? PJ? Hnidy? Yelle? Montador? These guys can be pretty easily replaced IMO. And don't forget that the B's were without Sturm virtually all season. And if the B's are forced to trade players for cap space, they will be getting assets in return.

Also, it's not like every other team in the NHL doesn't have to deal with the same isues the B's have to in the offseason. I'm pretty confident that next year's team will advance further in the PO's, even if they don't win the East.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 11:16 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
Sure, but how? Hnidy out, Hunwick in to top 6... but what else? Ference is a part of that quick transitional game and so is Wideman. Ward is the guy who doesn't fit in, but good luck replacing him with a better player for under 2.5M.
Honestly, I love Ward, but I think the B's already have a replacement in house. Mark Stuart was better in the last half of the season and the playoffs. The Top 4 next year will be Chara, Wideman, Stuart, Hunwick. PC will have to decide what to do with Ference and Ward. Ference has a very cap-friendly contract, but the guy just can't stay healthy.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 11:43 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Honestly, I love Ward, but I think the B's already have a replacement in house. Mark Stuart was better in the last half of the season and the playoffs. The Top 4 next year will be Chara, Wideman, Stuart, Hunwick. PC will have to decide what to do with Ference and Ward. Ference has a very cap-friendly contract, but the guy just can't stay healthy.
I think that's being too optimistic on Hunwick.

Julien scratched him for long stretches at a time, behind Shane Hnidy even. Just because he came in at the end of the year and had a few decent games doesn't mean CJ now sees him as a top 4.

I agree with Stuart, but I feel pretty certain that if Ward is gone, the plan will be to upgrade at the #4 spot or upgrade at the back-end and give Ference top 4 minutes.

bp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 12:04 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Just to clarify a few things...

I did NOT expect a SC this year, and in reality thought it was a longshot to make it.

What I did expect was more then a series win vs an 8th seed. I don't care if the Russian Red Army was the 6th seed this year, I expected to be able to advance playing the Canes. I could have easily seen a 6 game series loss to the Pens or Caps and I would have been mostly satisfied. Even a 7 game series loss to Pittsburgh in round 2, I could have chalked up to a learning thing.

I guess the jist of what I'm trying to say is, the Bruins always seem to end the year on a disappointing note. Last year, that was not the case, but most years it is. It's really been in full bloom since "May Day". I mean for real, 116 points, and one series win? They were better then that.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 12:31 PM
dharmaboy

I was cheering for the Bruins the whole Playoffs, and against Carolina, the Ducks, and Flames.

Though the B's had a great team, the one big obstacle was again the forecheck from Carolina and their viciousness in attacking the net. Thomas played well for his skill level and you couldnt ask more from him.

B's ran into the same obstacle the Oilers did in 06.

Cam Ward.

I hate to say it but he has to be one of the most mentally tough, clutch goalies I have seen in a long time. I am ashamed he is from Sherwood Park AB and had to play against us in the finals but son of gun is a tough hombre. The way he was playing in the OT, I knew it was not a good sign for the Bruins.

The only option was run him and make life tough infront of the net like the Hawks to Luongo and the Wings to Hiller. Playoff hockey is dirty tough hockey with grit and spit.

There is always next year.

dharmaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 12:38 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Just to clarify a few things...

I did NOT expect a SC this year, and in reality thought it was a longshot to make it.

What I did expect was more then a series win vs an 8th seed. I don't care if the Russian Red Army was the 6th seed this year, I expected to be able to advance playing the Canes. I could have easily seen a 6 game series loss to the Pens or Caps and I would have been mostly satisfied. Even a 7 game series loss to Pittsburgh in round 2, I could have chalked up to a learning thing.

I guess the jist of what I'm trying to say is, the Bruins always seem to end the year on a disappointing note. Last year, that was not the case, but most years it is. It's really been in full bloom since "May Day". I mean for real, 116 points, and one series win? They were better then that.
31 other teams do the same thing, it's part of the whole fan experience. Besides, without failure, success is boring. Why do you think it was so sweet when the Red Sox finally won? Everytime one of those Yankee fan richard heads would throw out a 1917 insult, it made it that much more enjoyable in 2004. The Bruins are on the right track, and I expect great things from them in the future...

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 12:48 PM
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
I understand this, but what "major contributors" are the B's going to lose that are not "replaceable"??

Fernandez? PJ? Hnidy? Yelle? Montador? These guys can be pretty easily replaced IMO. And don't forget that the B's were without Sturm virtually all season. And if the B's are forced to trade players for cap space, they will be getting assets in return.

Also, it's not like every other team in the NHL doesn't have to deal with the same isues the B's have to in the offseason. I'm pretty confident that next year's team will advance further in the PO's, even if they don't win the East.
These guys are the low hanging fruit. Sure, their fate is not a problem. (Although, not sure you want to throw away ALL those guys, as Monty has a low $ contract and they may want to keep one of PJ/Yelle because their value to the team vs. their cap hit is favorable.

No, it's the high paid and soon-to-be-high paid stars that will be the issue.

The numbers dictate that you have some fixed cost players like Bergy, Sturm, Chara, Thomas, (who either can't be, or won't be, traded) and the guys who you won't trade b/c they're stars in development with low to mid hits (Lucic, Rask, Wheels, Stuart, Wides).

The problems are the remaining guys who are either already getting big numbers (Savvy, Ryder) or are in line for big (or bigger) numbers (Kessel, Krecji, Hunwick).
These guys don't fall into the category of "easily" replaceable to me. You can trade one or more of them for less expensive players but it's a gamble as to whether the players you get in return will provide equal or better value.

Pastrnak means "Eurolectric" in Czech. Look it up.
2014 Bruins turned me into South Shore Kings fan
TheReal13Linseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 12:53 PM
DarrenBanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by doakacola View Post
Did everyone just get thru watching what I did? Does any sane, rational human being really think any team with Hnidy and Montador in the top 6 and Wideman playing like he did has any reasonable chance to get to the Finals? Pittsburgh would certainly have beaten Boston also all things regarding injuries being equal.
Their D wasn't mobile and transitional enough and wouldn't have been in any future series.

I trust PC to address this for next year.
The problem is you can't plan for injuries, no one thought Ference and Hunwick would both be knocked out and force you to use the Turnstile Twins, however the B's should still have won this series. They didn't get enough from key guys, Ryder was invisible for most of the series, Kessel needs to take the diaper off and play like a man, not a scared kid. The other big key I think was the 4th line, while they didn't perform to poorly, you got ZILCH out of them, I think it's the gritty 3rd and 4th lines that win playoff series, look at how many "muckers" have gone on to be playoff heroes. I don't know if it's Sob and Marchant, but from what I've read about their AHL PO performance, I'm ready for them to get the shot. Yelle and Axe brought nothing offensively to the table and before anyone tells me how valuable they are defensively, I give you this, they were the only two forwards that were a minus in the playoffs, PJ was a -6 and Yelle a -4. You can't win with 0 goals.

DarrenBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:05 PM
jrbz88

Send a message via AIM to jrbz88
Canes are done.

I am sorry but there's no way this group of overachievers make it past a Pens. They have limited firepower and Malkin and Crosby are going to eat them alive.

jrbz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
I know, no need for another thread, but I finally put my finger on what the crux of my aggravation/frustration is.

When the Bruins are underdogs, they never surprise, and pull it out, they lose.

When the Bruins are favorites, they never play to their potential, and they lose.

Doesn't matter who the players are....the results are the same. When we are supposed to lose, we lose....and when we are supposed to win, or in this case get to the CF minimum, we lose.

It's driving me crazy...Seriously, when is it "Our Time?"
Trust me I understand this! I've been a die hard Bruins fan for almost 30 years now and I'm still waiting... running out of patience quickly though...

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
It'll come. We're closer than we've been in a decade. It's just a question of getting over the hump.
Provided that the Salary Cap doesn't cause the team to be blown apart.

Old
05-15-2009, 01:16 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Provided that the Salary Cap doesn't cause the team to be blown apart.
I posted this in another thread but I think it fits here too:

My biggest concern is that they won't be able to keep this team together because of the salary cap.

It seems that every time we have a great team something conspires to tear it apart:

World War 2 (Kraut Line goes to war)
WHA (losing key players)
Ulf (Neely was unstoppable in 1991)
Ribs (JT's rib injury was the beginning of the end)

And now the new monster the Salary Cap... every time we get a good team something happens to tear it apart.

Old
05-15-2009, 02:08 PM
gobruinsgo

Send a message via AIM to gobruinsgo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pblc View Post
It certainly does suck. I'll take a few days to digest it......(including my yearly self reflection on why I continue to support this team when my heart seems to get ripped out year after year after year). But in the end, I just can't give up on this team.

I don't know if that makes me a devoted fan....or just pathetic....LOL
In my book it makes you a devoted fan. This feeling sucks, and I always question why I am loyal to teams that always lose ( 2003 Red Sox, Bruins, Pre-Brady Patriots, Pre-Garnett Celtics). But as far as the outlook for next year, it can't really get much better.

gobruinsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 04:30 PM
twominute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rician blast View Post
The Bruins did not solve the Carolina forecheck and they did not establish their own forecheck consistently enough.

In games 2-5, the B's could not get out of their own zone for long periods of time. When they had success, they were breaking out effectively, getting pucks in deep and punishing the Canes D-men. It just wasn't consistent enough, and the credit for that goes to the Hurricanes and the game plan they employed.

In the final anaylsis, this was the one matchup I feared, as I posted both hear and on TalkSox. I felt the Bruins matched up better with every other Eastern Conf. playoff team than with the Canes.
You mean you're actually giving the canes credit? (sarcasm)

twominute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 07:21 PM
Cusick-n-Sanderson

I'm not sure why the salary cap has to be seen as a doomsday machine.
One thing this club has shown me in recent years is the ability to find and
sign solid young talent. Everyone deals with the salary cap, I'm pretty confident
in the Bruins managment's ability to handle it well and keep the team competitive.

And this playoff run and failure did reveal a few important things: Lucic and Krejci
are invaluable and need to be locked up ... Kessel and Wideman? Maybe not worth it.

Cusick-n-Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 07:23 PM
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusick-n-Sanderson View Post
I'm not sure why the salary cap has to be seen as a doomsday machine.
One thing this club has shown me in recent years is the ability to find and
sign solid young talent. Everyone deals with the salary cap, I'm pretty confident
in the Bruins managment's ability to handle it well and keep the team competitive.

And this playoff run and failure did reveal a few important things: Lucic and Krejci
are invaluable and need to be locked up ... Kessel and Wideman? Maybe not worth it.
There's only one player currently signed with the B's for longer than Wideman and that's Thomas. We're stuck with him.

Old
05-15-2009, 07:36 PM
Dirtywater

Quote:
I know, no need for another thread, but I finally put my finger on what the crux of my aggravation/frustration is.

When the Bruins are underdogs, they never surprise, and pull it out, they lose.

When the Bruins are favorites, they never play to their potential, and they lose.

Doesn't matter who the players are....the results are the same. When we are supposed to lose, we lose....and when we are supposed to win, or in this case get to the CF minimum, we lose.

It's driving me crazy...Seriously, when is it "Our Time?"
Ugh. So true. That is exactly what drivves me nuts as well. I am still sick over last night.

Dirtywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Cusick-n-Sanderson

Quote:
There's only one player currently signed with the B's for longer than Wideman and that's Thomas. We're stuck with him.
He has decent trade value - it's not like the playoff loss is being blamed
on him, and he was very good for us during the regular season. I just don't
know if he's going to turn into the player the B's want him to be. I do hate
giving up on talented defensemen early, though. They take patience.

Old
05-15-2009, 08:12 PM
Cusick-n-Sanderson

For the record, the thing that I can't get past, even though it is one moment
in a series filled with mis-steps, is Kobasew breaking the one and only rule of sudden
death OT playoff hockey: ALWAYS put the puck on net. What the hell was that, a
4-on-2? And he tries a DROP PASS 10 feet inside the line?? That rush looked like game
over - and I just keep seeing it over and over in my head. What was he thinking??

Old
05-15-2009, 08:28 PM
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser

Quote:
For the record, the thing that I can't get past, even though it is one moment in a series filled with mis-steps, is Kobasew breaking the one and only rule of sudden death OT playoff hockey: ALWAYS put the puck on net. What the hell was that, a 4-on-2? And he tries a DROP PASS 10 feet inside the line?? That rush looked like game over - and I just keep seeing it over and over in my head. What was he thinking??
I was thinking the same thing...

Old
05-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Neely08

Quote:
For the record, the thing that I can't get past, even though it is one moment
in a series filled with mis-steps, is Kobasew breaking the one and only rule of sudden
death OT playoff hockey: ALWAYS put the puck on net. What the hell was that, a
4-on-2? And he tries a DROP PASS 10 feet inside the line?? That rush looked like game
over - and I just keep seeing it over and over in my head. What was he thinking??

Yup, after that my heart just sunk.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 09:13 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing...
That happened several times in that game, promising rush killed by a drop pass to nobody.

dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote