HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Luongo to Flyers?

Old
05-15-2009, 12:37 PM
DrHamburg

vCash: 500
Luongo to Flyers?

I logged on to ESPN and in the insider rumor link, it says, "The talks begin = Luongo to Flyers".

Anyone an insider that shows the "rumor"?

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 12:39 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Dont get your hopes up. But if you want to, start kissing JC goodbye.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Viller

This NEEDS to happen, I dont care who we have to give. Just not Lindros part 2 and i'll be more than satisfied. Id definately do Carter +, the + being anything but JVR and Giroux.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 12:55 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
For what it would cost to acquire Luongo? **** No.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 12:57 PM
UseYourAllusion

Too many assets to trade for him. Too much cap space to keep him. No thanks.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 12:57 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Why would the Canucks do it?

Why would the Flyers do it?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
We already have a captain.

Besides, what would be the motivation for the Canucks to trade Luongo this off season...he still has a year left on his contract.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:03 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post

Luongo is a UFA after this season? I dont know.
I would venture to guess this is just backlash from the Canucks dissapointing end to the season. I would think the longer the offseason goes the more these talks cool down. Personally I am not buying it. He had a poor series against Chicago, but he is still a top 2 goalie. Not sure Vancouver could ever get equal value for him.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:04 PM
tripler0425

I have espn insider and here is the info from the rumor link. Notice that it does not mention the flyers.

Friday, May 15
GM wants to keep Luongo, Sedins
Roberto Luongo | Canucks

Two's company, but three wouldn't crowd the Vancouver Canucks' cap space according to the team's front office.

GM Mike Gillis said yesterday that he believes he can retain $7.5 million goalie Roberto Luongo while fitting new contracts for Henrik and Daniel Sedin.

"First of all, I think the idea that you trade a world-class player and couch it behind what I find to be a fairly superficial salary-cap analysis, I think is ridiculous," Gillis said to the Vancouver Sun. "I think that it's up to me to find ways to make this work. We think we have a way to make it work and we intend to do that. In the clear light of day, we don't have financial issues here on this team."

While Gillis voiced his determination to retain all three stars, that could be an optimistic assessment. With the contract of FA D Mattias Ohlund ($3.5 million) and the prorated $8.6 million deal of C Mats Sundin as the biggest figures coming off the books, and after a $2.7 million raise due to D Alexander Edler, that leaves about $8.86 million to carve up between the Sedins, the team's restricted free agents and any other offseason additions.

With most of the league's top point-scorers earning around $6 million a year, similar contracts to the Sedins would leave Vancouver just $4 million to cover the rest of their needs.

tripler0425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Jester

Quote:
good question.

Quote:
reference your previous question...and think about it.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:05 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
We already have a captain.

Besides, what would be the motivation for the Canucks to trade Luongo this off season...he still has a year left on his contract.
There may be some motivation for the Canucks to move Luongo before the end of next season. The Canucks are in a tough spot with regards to Luongo because, if they don't make moves to improve the team, the likelihood of Luongo re-signing with Vancouver is pretty small.

I don't think Gillis will be in any rush to move him in the off-season. He'll explore all avenues before he considers Luongo as potential trade bait.

Old
05-15-2009, 01:06 PM
DrHamburg

Thanks tripler, just wondering what was going on with it. I dont have insider so I didn't know what it had to say.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:07 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

There was an article on canada.com that talked about Vancouver possibly looking at moving Luongo and that if the Flyers were interested, Vancouver would be able to ask for someone like Carter in return. Thanks but no thanks.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
There was an article on canada.com that talked about Vancouver possibly looking at moving Luongo and that if the Flyers were interested, Vancouver would be able to ask for someone like Carter in return. Thanks but no thanks.
Sure, they'd be able to ask...but you're not getting Jeff Carter for a goalie on a 1-year deal at a significant cap hit to re-sign.

Old
IrishSniper87

The Canucks are BONED cap wise. You think we are bad off? They don't even have half of their squad signed, so they have few "deals" on their roster. Most of the guys they bring in will probably make a high salary.

I don't see them moving Luongo or the Sedins, but Ohlund and Sundin are gone.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
chaosof99*

Probably more speculation than actual rumor.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:10 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
By the time the Sedins get paid and if Luongo's price is 8 million bucks a year, that's about 45% almost 50% of your payroll tied up in three players. As well, with Cory Schneider waiting in the wings, the Canucks can afford to make a trade using Luongo and really add some more valuable pieces to the puzzle

Quote:
They wouldn't. There's no way that the Flyers would acquire Luongo. He'd need to agree to a contract extension first, and then, once the extension is agreed to, they'd have to find a way to dump salary. As well, you can bet Vancouver asks for a roster player (Carter), a top prospect (Sbisa or JVR or Giroux) and a draft pick (more than likely a 1st). That's a lot to give up for one player who is going to ask around 8 million for his next contract......

Old
05-15-2009, 01:11 PM
Coolix

I would do it in a heartbeat.

Coolix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:12 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Sure, they'd be able to ask...but you're not getting Jeff Carter for a goalie on a 1-year deal at a significant cap hit to re-sign.
They also have that goalie prospect they like. Schnieder or something? If they feel he will be good and they need the cap space, sure, maybe they move Luongo. Half of their defense makes like 3.5 mill or more.

They wont get a Jeff Carter type player back though. They would probably take a 1st rounder + 2nd liner on a good deal if they moved him.

Old
05-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Claude Giroux

Not happening, as sweet as it would be to have a goalie that good.
Posted via Mobile Device

Claude Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:17 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
They also have that goalie prospect they like. Schnieder or something? If they feel he will be good and they need the cap space, sure, maybe they move Luongo. Half of their defense makes like 3.5 mill or more.

They wont get a Jeff Carter type player back though. They would probably take a 1st rounder + 2nd liner on a good deal if they moved him.
The Canucks have four good defensemen locked up at $14M; that's a damn solid base.

A first rounder and a 2nd liner for Roberto Luongo? The last time he was moved it was for a first liner, a potential top 2 defenseman and a goaltender. Granted, that trade was a massive bust for Florida, but your expectations seem a little low for Luongo's return.

Old
05-15-2009, 01:19 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolix View Post
I would do it in a heartbeat.
Why? The past several Stanley Cup winning teams have shown that you don't need an all world goaltender to win the big prize. What a team needs is a good goaltender who can make the routine save. It's the defense core that's the difference maker....

Old
05-15-2009, 01:21 PM
Jester

Quote:
By the time the Sedins get paid and if Luongo's price is 8 million bucks a year, that's about 45% almost 50% of your payroll tied up in three players. As well, with Cory Schneider waiting in the wings, the Canucks can afford to make a trade using Luongo and really add some more valuable pieces to the puzzle
"add some more valuable pieces to the puzzle?" There is no more valuable piece in hockey than an elite goalie, which Luongo most certainly is. The Sedin's are very good, but neither is in any discussion for the top 5 forwards in hockey, IMO.

Good defenseman make forwards better than they are on their own by getting the puck away from the opponent and feeding them for rushes up ice.

Good goalies make good defenseman better than they are by covering up the mistakes they make -- mistakes that all defenseman make, no matter how good they are.

The Canucks certainly have cap issues, and re-signing Luongo may be a significant problem...potentially justifying a trade, but lets be serious. Having a goalie of Luongo's caliber in your lineup is probably worth double-digit points over the course of the season against an average goalie that you might replace him with -- in the cap scenario that would play out they would be dealing with "average" at best.

Of course, the Sedin brothers have another problem...if they want to remain on the same squad, they aren't going to be able to demand the contracts that their skill-level might demand on the open market. There aren't that many teams with 12M in cap space to throw around.

Quote:
They wouldn't. There's no way that the Flyers would acquire Luongo. He'd need to agree to a contract extension first, and then, once the extension is agreed to, they'd have to find a way to dump salary. As well, you can bet Vancouver asks for a roster player (Carter), a top prospect (Sbisa or JVR or Giroux) and a draft pick (more than likely a 1st). That's a lot to give up for one player who is going to ask around 8 million for his next contract......
It's also one player that...improves your team by double-digits over the course of a season. Goalies are that important. The reason it might not happen is obviously the salary cap -- the same reason we may not be able to sign someone as "average" as Marty Biron. Doesn't mean we wouldn't be interested in it and should look into it...nor that the cost in players wouldn't be worth it.

However, as said, I don't think they're going to get a young All-Star center from anyone for Luongo for the very reasons you're outlining...not to mention they'd want to shed salary in any such deal, so young developing players would have greater value to them.

Old
05-15-2009, 01:24 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
The Canucks have four good defensemen locked up at $14M; that's a damn solid base.

A first rounder and a 2nd liner for Roberto Luongo? The last time he was moved it was for a first liner, a potential top 2 defenseman and a goaltender. Granted, that trade was a massive bust for Florida, but your expectations seem a little low for Luongo's return.
He was traded WITH Lukas Krajicek and a 6th rounder for Todd Bertuzzi, Brian Allen And Alex Auld.

Not exactly a HUGE return. A good one though.

With Luongo's cap hit though being so high, it will be hard to get someone like Jeff Carter. They are looking for cap space afterall, why take back a 5 mill contract? The Flyers would have to dump a lot of salary to acquire him. To bad Briere has a NMC. Ugh.

Old
05-15-2009, 01:25 PM
Jester

Quote:
Why? The past several Stanley Cup winning teams have shown that you don't need an all world goaltender to win the big prize. What a team needs is a good goaltender who can make the routine save. It's the defense core that's the difference maker....
Yes, but there are problems with this thesis...and it goes directly to contextualizing this claim.

A team is a unit.

If I have an elite all-world goalie I probably can skimp a bit on D because I have an all-world goalie that will save their bacon when necessary.

If I have an elite all-world defensive corps, I can probably skimp on the goalie a bit because they won't need to have their bacon saved as often.

I'm all for creating an elite all-world defensive corps here, but we have our salary cap tied up in forwards and have spent unwisely on mediocre D, rather than biting the bullet and simply investing in a stud blue line and taking it from there. You know, what Detroit and Anaheim have done.