HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Jacob Josefson vs Nicklas Backstrom

Old
05-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Ian Esplen
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Jacob Josefson vs Nicklas Backstrom

hey I was thinking about this the other day now that I've got to watch backstrom more and more that their skill set is very similar. can someone answer if they're the same type of player or if they think their heading down the same path. they're both around the same size and backstrom had 26 pts while josefson had 16 pts at the same age in the SEL. both are good skaters, prefer to pass, are good on faceoffs, and have a high skill level. does anyone who's seen both a little more at younger ages think their comparable?

Ian Esplen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

Bäckström was easily the better player in his draft year. He even played at the Worlds.

Systemfel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 02:18 PM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
Bäckström was easily the better player in his draft year. He even played at the Worlds.
Hmm... Well, Backstrom probably was better but I wouldn't say, easily. Not so far apart, and Backstrom was older.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Ian Esplen
Hockey's Future Staff

how far away is he from backstrom though at the same age? they both seem to play the same type of game

Ian Esplen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 04:01 PM
KRM

No, no, no. Josefsson is a very interesting prospect but he is not close to the level of Bäckström in terms of potential nor skill at the same age.

KRM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Predatore

Send a message via MSN to Predatore
Hockey sense: Bäckström
Offense: Bäckström
Puckhandling: Bäckström
Productivity: Bäckström
Passing: Bäckström
Poise: Bäckström

Skating: Josefson
Defense: Josefson
Two-way game: Josefson
Leadership skills: Josefson
Physical strength: Josefson

Shot/goal scoring: Tie
Mental strength: Tie

Josefson will become one heck of a player. He is also a better player now, then what Bäckström was at the same age. However, Bäckström developed enormously the following season going from being a bench warmer to a SEL star. Josefson is already a SEL regular, but it remains to be seen if he could also take such a huge step in his development as Bäckström did. Personally, I think he could actually match Bäckström's numbers (26 points) next season, but I very much doubt he will be the same kind of impact player. And I definitely do not see him playing in the world's against men.

Predatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatore View Post

Josefson will become one heck of a player. He is also a better player now, then what Bäckström was at the same age. However, Bäckström developed enormously the following season going from being a bench warmer to a SEL star. Josefson is already a SEL regular, but it remains to be seen if he could also take such a huge step in his development as Bäckström did. Personally, I think he could actually match Bäckström's numbers (26 points) next season, but I very much doubt he will be the same kind of impact player. And I definitely do not see him playing in the world's against men.
Backstrom scored 26 points in his draft year, which lead his team. Josefson only has 16 points this year. How is Josefson better then Backstrom at the same age?

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
Backstrom scored 26 points in his draft year, which lead his team. Josefson only has 16 points this year. How is Josefson better then Backstrom at the same age?
Backstrom was 1/2 year older.

Old
05-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Hockey is more than stats...I guess he's more complete...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 06:55 PM
yay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatore View Post

Are you referring to their skill sets in SEL, or now?

The reason I ask and point out the 3 bolded ones above is that Backstrom has improved tremendously in those areas within the past year+. He is turning into a great 2 way player who plays a strong defense (on the PK regularly for the Caps in the last half of the year). He may not be the strongest guy per se, but he is very hard to knock off the puck now. Of course he is also now 21, so those things are supposed to develop. If they hadn't, I would've been disappointed.

If Josefson is still better than him in those areas currently, than wow, sounds like a prize pickup.

yay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 07:03 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
It's hard to compare them between thier draft years because of the age difference. Backstrom wasn't considered a high first round pick 'til what was technically his 18 year old season as he's a Nov. '87 birthdate. Josefson has to be considered a year younger in development terms in this draft year.

On top of that, I'm sure Predatore has seen plenty of both over the years of thier development. Take his word on it.

cagney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 10:26 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Backstrom was 1/2 year older.
4 months to be exact not that big of a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
It's hard to compare them between thier draft years because of the age difference. Backstrom wasn't considered a high first round pick 'til what was technically his 18 year old season as he's a Nov. '87 birthdate. Josefson has to be considered a year younger in development terms in this draft year.

On top of that, I'm sure Predatore has seen plenty of both over the years of thier development. Take his word on it.
I am taking his word on it since I'm sure he saw Backstrom play a couple of years ago, and Josefson playing now, but I'm curious as to why Josefson isn't ranked higher if he is better then Backstrom at his age?

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:

I am taking his word on it since I'm sure he saw Backstrom play a couple of years ago, and Josefson playing now, but I'm curious as to why Josefson isn't ranked higher if he is better then Backstrom at his age?
Midseason Conte thought a group of players, including Josefson, could put heat on Tavares and Hedman for the 1st and 2nd overall picks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...ntryID=3828381

"Conte pointed to Brampton Battalion (OHL) center Matt Duchene and University of Minnesota center Jordan Schroeder, as well as Swedish prospects Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson and Jacob Josefson as players who could put heat on Tavares and Hedman."

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 11:41 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post

Quote:

Because Backstrom was a development year older than what Josefson is in his draft year, the fact that its a 4 month or 11 month difference becomes irrelevant.

If we look at the stats for both from their time in the SEL, comparing 17 yr old dev year to 17 yr old dev year (ie, apples to apples), this is what we find:

PHP Code:
Season        Team       League        GP    G    A    P    PIM
-2009     Djurga     Elitserien    50    5    11    16    14 Josefson '91 YoB
2004-2005     Brynäs     Elitserien    19    0    00    00    02 - Backstrom '
87 YoB 
Now this doesn't mean that Josefson is going to be that much better than Backstrom if at all. We could also extrapolate that either Backstrom is what we might call a late bloomer, or that Josefson is an early one.

Because Backstrom has already played many years since his 17 yr old dev year, the numbers show he got better each year for the most part. With Josefson, we will find out. What would be unfortunate for Josefson is if he plateaus earlier than Backstrom in terms of development.

In my opinion, then, the value of good scouting is looking beyond the numbers to determine if the player has the right fundamentals to be a good pro. If they see something missing, it may cause a player like Josefson to be ranked lower than we might otherwise presume.

Last edited by JawandaPuck: 05-16-2009 at 02:45 AM.
JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 05:35 AM
Garl

Quote:
In my opinion, then, the value of good scouting is looking beyond the numbers to determine if the player has the right fundamentals to be a good pro. If they see something missing, it may cause a player like Josefson to be ranked lower than we might otherwise presume.
When he was drafted, I would say that Backstrom had more flaws than Josefson has.

1.Physical play-Josefson is a physical guy espescially compared to Backis.
2.Skating Josefson is much better skater.
3.Speed Josefson is faster.

Usually physical play and skating are very valued by scouts and armchair gm's. Look at Tavares vs Stamkos, many are saying that Stamkos is better even though Tavares was always ahead of him. And by reason they tell: skating and attitude.

Only reason why Backstrom wasn't bashed for his lack of physcial play(like Hedman), or skating(like Tavares) is that he pretty much came out of nowhere, and built his hype in 3-4 monthes. So all negative guys just were not able to start the bashing and overblow his flaws to nonsense(like konk saying Hedman wouldn't be considered a Top 10 pick if he was 6'2).
Hedman and Tavares were well known for like 3-4 years prior to draft.

Return to Backstrom/Josefson however. Reason why Josefson isn't a lock for TOP 10 even though his results are very comparable to Backstrom's is that Backis was the go-to guy for Sweden in 2006 and hype concenrated on him. Also he had nice WJC and even played at senior WC.
Josefson was sick at WJC and is only ¹ 3-4 for Sweden this year, hyope is concentrated on Hedman, Paajarvi and lately on OEL. That's also the reason why there's not much talk about Klingberg, Rundblad, Johansson, Erixon, Rodin, Bjorklund etc.

Old
05-16-2009, 06:21 AM
DenGC

Josefson is more similar to Lars Eller (STL prospect), in my opinion. Not getting enough recognition. Should go somewhere around the 12th pick +/- 3 spots.

DenGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 06:55 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Even though Josefsson may have been a bit better at the same age I think Backstrom has alot more upside. But then again, I wouldnt be crying if I was wrong and Josefsson turned out to be even better than Backstrom

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Berglund1313

Josefson is better at same age. Josefson is a top talent just as Bäckis . If he develope in the same rate as Bäckis then he will be better but only time will tell .

Berglund1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 08:14 PM
arsmaster

Josefson from what I have read and seen has a much more polished 2-way game than Backstrom did at a similar point in their development. Josefson seems to have an innate sense of where to be on the ice, and makes fast decisions on where to go with the puck.

Im not saying Backstrom doesnt have these same instincts on the ice, or didnt possess them when he was Josefson's age, its just I see a better all around game in Josefson, whereas I see Backstrom as a offensive powerhouse.

Josefson has a Zetterberg-like style to his game, not quite as flashy but gets the job done nonetheless.

Backstrom has the higher top-end, but it may just seem that way because he has the best finisher in the game today on the other end of his passes. Josefson may never put up the same numbers for just that reason.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 03:50 PM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Because Backstrom was a development year older than what Josefson is in his draft year, the fact that its a 4 month or 11 month difference becomes irrelevant.

If we look at the stats for both from their time in the SEL, comparing 17 yr old dev year to 17 yr old dev year (ie, apples to apples), this is what we find:

PHP Code:
87 YoB 
You have to factor in that Bäckström's first season was during the lockout. Brynäs didn't really spice up their roster but they certainly faced teams who were much stronger then today's teams.

Also I might be way off on this one but didn't Bäckström score in one of his first SEL games? SEL and NHL doesn't count GP that same way, you don't have to play in a game, just being dressed and sitting on the bench gives you a GP in the stats. It would've been interesting to see how many minutes Bäckström actually played during those 19 games, but unfortunately the SEL didn't start registering TOI before the 2006-07 season started...

KRM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 04:26 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post

PHP Code:
87 YoB 
Now this doesn't mean that Josefson is going to be that much better than Backstrom if at all. We could also extrapolate that either Backstrom is what we might call a late bloomer, or that Josefson is an early one.

Because Backstrom has already played many years since his 17 yr old dev year, the numbers show he got better each year for the most part. With Josefson, we will find out. What would be unfortunate for Josefson is if he plateaus earlier than Backstrom in terms of development.

You can't just look at stats like that without any context. Which of their teams scored more goals? What kind of icetime did each player get? What kind of role with the team did each player have?

It's pretty pointless to try to extrapolate anything from a few out of context stats.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 10:57 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

It remains to be seen what Josefson will do in the NHL, but we have a pretty good idea of what Backstrom will do. Tied for 3rd in assists as a 21-year old and has elite vision and passing hands at the NHL level.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote