HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

LA/TOR - A Salary Dump

Old
05-15-2009, 01:35 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
LA/TOR - A Salary Dump

To LA:

Tor 3rd round pick '09
Tor 6th round pick '09

To TOR:

LA 2nd round '09, 35th overall
Tom Preissing

Please?

Someone has to have a use for Preissing, or want that 35th overall enough to take him. I figured Toronto was a good place to start since Burke seems to be in the 'salary dump for picks' seat, like Lombardi was last off-season, taking on Gauthier to get a 2nd.

I based part of this on the deal the Kings made to take on Gauthier which was:

To LA: Gauthier, Philly 2nd round pick.
To Philly: Ned Lukacevic and Patrik Hersley (2 VERY low end prospects).

So Philly essentially got nothing and gave up a 2nd to get rid of Gauthier. Here, LA drops back 32 spots in the draft, Toronto gets an extra 2nd higher than their own, which they get to keep, but they have to pay Preissing $2.75 mill for 2 more years.

Who knows, perhaps Toronto can actually use Preissing. Having a veteran PP QB might fill a short bridge, opening up for Kaberle to get traded without losing ALL of his PP minutes. Obviously Preissing barely nibbles at Kaberle's ankles, but it does take some sting away from the PP until Burke can find Kaberle's eventual long-term replacement. Either way, Burke gets a high 2nd he could probably easily package with the 37th overall to get into the mid first round.

LA just wants to get rid of Preissing. We can't handle another buyout, and while having him in the AHL isn't terrible on the surface, I highly doubt Preissing isn't being counted against the team's internal cap, regardless of league and 'official' cap rules.

Perhaps LA should get a little more back, but I wouldn't cry if we lost the 35th overall in order to unload Preissing. I know lots of Kings fans want to trade that 35th UP into the mid-late first round, but I think this is better for the team both short and long term.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Bunter McVirtanen

Nice proposal. TO can really make use of that 35th pick, and LA benefits by getting rid of Preissing, who has really fallen off the map since becoming a top 4 D for OTT during their run for the cup.

Bunter McVirtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:44 PM
rockinghockey

I cant see LA getting back a 3rd with that while they are dropping salary. Maybe the 6th and that is it.

rockinghockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 02:02 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I cant see LA getting back a 3rd with that while they are dropping salary. Maybe the 6th and that is it.
Well they do have to get something back. That 2nd aint chump change. That's why I used the Gautheir comparison. That was a for a mid-to-low 2nd, didn't know at the time and it got back 2 prospects. Not good prospects, but two human beings. This is for a a known 35th overall, which is essentially a low first rounder. I feel we should still get two human beings. If there is a prospect TOR is done with that doesn't have much value, we'll take that instead, though I prefer any pick because I have big faith in our scouting to find good players in the 3rd round and beyond.

Old
05-15-2009, 02:04 PM
embracedbias

Its a good thought. Burke wouldn't have much of a problem burying Preissing in the minors. I think the 6th rounder is an overpayment though.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 02:12 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Well they do have to get something back. That 2nd aint chump change. That's why I used the Gautheir comparison.
Thing is, Goat's contract was only for one season - Preissing got an extra year left.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Why would the Kings need to get rid of Preissing ???

He can play in the AHL. The Kings are in a good position, salary cap wise.

Who cares.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 02:20 PM
Mr Lahey*

Counter-

LA gets: TOR 6th Round, Jamie Sifers
TOR gets: LA 2nd round, Tom Preissing

Mr Lahey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 02:21 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Thing is, Goat's contract was only for one season - Preissing got an extra year left.
True. I think Preissing is a little better at what he does than Goat. Preissing just didn't fit here because of TM's style and also being instantly replaced by not only Doughty, but Quincey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
Why would the Kings need to get rid of Preissing ???

He can play in the AHL. The Kings are in a good position, salary cap wise.

Who cares.

Read the whole post and know your owners. INTERNAL CAP!

Do you really think that AEG sets an internal cap and bases it off the NHL salary cap? That would defeat the purpose. This is about actual salary being paid, and Preissing gets his 2.75 each year regardless of where he plays, and while he is Kings property AEG has to write that check. You think Liewieke gives a crap that it doesn't count against the salary cap? Disregarding the NHL cap, which the Kings have no problems with at the moment, unloading 5.5 million bucks gives Lombardi 5.5 million more to use to front load a contract for Gaborik or someone.

Old
05-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Zal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBoy17 View Post
Counter-

LA gets: TOR 6th Round, Jamie Sifers
TOR gets: LA 2nd round, Tom Preissing
I'd do this from LA. We can live without the 2nd. The Kings have so many 2nd round prospects it's unreal.

Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

vCash: 50
I can't see why Toronto would have to give up two picks here, its a salary dump. One could argue that a 3rd + 6th = 2nd, I say Toronto would drop the 6th rounder from the deal and just make it

Preising + 2nd for 3rd

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 03:19 PM
grabo84

Yeah, this is actually a pretty well thought out salary dump proposal. I wouldn't be shocked to see something like this happen. And hey, if a guy like Kaberle gets dealt, or if MVR continues to be injured, Burke might be able to use Preissing anyways.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Acekicker123

The way Burke is purging the system, I think you're more likely to see something along the Philly trade where Burke trades current Toronto prospects that might not necessarily fit his mold.

Perhaps something like:

Preissing + 2nd round pick for F Chad Rau + 6th round pick

I think Burke will want to hold onto current picks and address the size/toughness issue in the farm system.

Acekicker123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 03:23 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
I can't see why Toronto would have to give up two picks here, its a salary dump. One could argue that a 3rd + 6th = 2nd, I say Toronto would drop the 6th rounder from the deal and just make it

Preising + 2nd for 3rd
Deal.

That's the way I originally had it, but added an extra pick to appease Kings fans. I'm good with just a 3rd.

Old
05-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Roof Daddy

I could definitely see something like this happening. Buy a pick/move up at the draft and strengthen your AHL team (barring a turnaround from Priessing) so that younger, developing prospects on the Marlies have NHL calibre talent to play with.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 03:35 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

How about these slight changes.

To LA

Tor 1st
Ponikarovsky

To Tor

LA 1st
Priessing
3rd

or To LA

4th
Frogen

To Tor

2nd
Priessing

The reason I put in Frogen is because I think you'd need to take a touch of salary for taking Priessing. He's only to be paid 900k for next year with a cap hit of 1.054 then he's a UFA. He's a good 6th dman. Physical dman that's 27. The leafs also are a little back logged on d so we'd need to move one. I figure Frogen hurts the least for the Kings to take on.

dredeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 03:36 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post

Preising + 2nd for 3rd
Sounds good to me.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 03:38 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
How about these slight changes.

To LA

Tor 1st
Ponikarovsky

To Tor

LA 1st
Priessing
3rd

or To LA

4th
Frogen

To Tor

2nd
Priessing

The reason I put in Frogen is because I think you'd need to take a touch of salary for taking Priessing. He's only to be paid 900k for next year with a cap hit of 1.054 then he's a UFA. He's a good 6th dman. Physical dman that's 27. The leafs also are a little back logged on d so we'd need to move one. I figure Frogen hurts the least for the Kings to take on.
Mmmm... the first one is interesting. Not sure I'd do it though. If Cowen was a lock to go at 6, then maybe. But what if Atl takes Kane, Burke takes Schenn and then Pheonix takes MSP? Then I would be very upset.

The second one is OK. But you have to take Peter Harrold too.

Old
05-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:

The second one is OK. But you have to take Peter Harrold too.
Dean could just waive Harrold...I am sure some team would take him.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 03:42 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Dean could just waive Harrold...I am sure some team would take him.
Could we engineer a time warp in which Harrold is sent back in time and put on waivers instead of Ellis????

Old
05-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Zal

It's a good deal, but he'll most likely play in Manchester or get bought out.

Old
05-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Stephen

What are the terms of Preissing's contract exactly? In the real world, taking on $6 million or whatever is left on his contract for a second round pick isn't exactly a fiscally sane thing to do. Nevermind giving up 2 picks in addition.

Taking on the Kolzig thing for a few months is one thing. This is simply ********.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 03:48 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zal View Post
It's a good deal, but he'll most likely play in Manchester or get bought out.
One buy-out per year...

That is not a trend I want to see continue. I'm more OK with him in Manchester, but again, I worry about it hurting DL's latitude this summer in spending money.

Old
05-15-2009, 03:50 PM
Zal

Quote:
One buy-out per year...

That is not a trend I want to see continue. I'm more OK with him in Manchester, but again, I worry about it hurting DL's latitude this summer in spending money.
I don't like the trend either, but it would $900ish'k a year, which isn't too bad.

Old
05-15-2009, 03:53 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
What are the terms of Preissing's contract exactly? In the real world, taking on $6 million or whatever is left on his contract for a second round pick isn't exactly a fiscally sane thing to do. Nevermind giving up 2 picks in addition.

Taking on the Kolzig thing for a few months is one thing. This is simply ********.
2.75 for 2 more years exactly.

I picked Toronto because they have deep pockets (in terms of actual salary, as well as cap) and Burke just took control. I would think a guy like Burke can convince his owners to absorb the cost to accomplish his goals in the draft, and having the 35th and 37th overall picks will look pretty sweet to someone.

And we've all but agreed its down to just one pick. Someone else said it precisely, its literally paying for a pick. The price is steep, but Preissing isn't entirely useless, especially if you move Kaberle, Kubina or both. Preissing has very LOW value, but I don't think he quite has negative value.