HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

LA/TOR - A Salary Dump

Old
05-15-2009, 03:55 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zal View Post
I don't like the trend either, but it would $900ish'k a year, which isn't too bad.
True, but its 4 more years of something on the books. I think we want to be as paid up as possible by the time Doughty/Molller/Simmonds need new contracts. We are in cap heaven now, but we have to be careful maintaining it because in order to get competitive we are going to get to cap hell sooner than we'd like.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
2.75 for 2 more years exactly.

I picked Toronto because they have deep pockets (in terms of actual salary, as well as cap) and Burke just took control. I would think a guy like Burke can convince his owners to absorb the cost to accomplish his goals in the draft, and having the 35th and 37th overall picks will look pretty sweet to someone.

And we've all but agreed its down to just one pick. Someone else said it precisely, its literally paying for a pick. The price is steep, but Preissing isn't entirely useless, especially if you move Kaberle, Kubina or both. Preissing has very LOW value, but I don't think he quite has negative value.
I appreciate the creativity, but it's just crazy to think a second round pick could be worth it for a franchise to spend upwards of $5 million to acquire.

If the Leafs weren't willing to spend $7 million for 2 seasons on a mature NHL ready prospect like Matt Gilroy, I don't see them investing $5 million + to acquire a pick that might turn into nothing.

Preissing is completely useless to Toronto. Kaberle, Kubina, Van Ryn, Stralman, White are all guys who can move the puck and play on the PP, so there's an organizational log jam anyway. If it was an underachieving forward, maybe there'd be hope he could find his game and be useful. This move is totally a waste of money and there's no way a second round pick is worth that in real world terms.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 04:10 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Preissing is completely useless to Toronto. Kaberle, Kubina, Van Ryn, Stralman, White are all guys who can move the puck and play on the PP, so there's an organizational log jam anyway. If it was an underachieving forward, maybe there'd be hope he could find his game and be useful. This move is totally a waste of money and there's no way a second round pick is worth that in real world terms.
Fair enough. Don't know much about Stralman, didn't think you liked White all that much.

You don't think he could serve the same purpose on the Marlies that Mark Bell does?

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zal View Post
I don't like the trend either, but it would $900ish'k a year, which isn't too bad.
For 4 years....which is bad.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 04:19 PM
Zal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
For 4 years....which is bad.
I knew that before I posted it, but I could see it happening.

I really don't think AEG gives a crap about the cap as much as they do about how much goes out every year.

$900+k>$2.75m(in this case)

Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Fair enough. Don't know much about Stralman, didn't think you liked White all that much.

You don't think he could serve the same purpose on the Marlies that Mark Bell does?
Mark Bell was a waste of space on the Marlies who was only buried there because of a regime change. Before that he was fully in Toronto's plans.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 05:26 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
We are going to be far off the cap. Why can't we just wait out Preissing? He is going to be gone before we have to re-sign Doughty etc... Don't see a great need to unload him, especially where we are sitting financially. He is just a really expensive leader for Manchester and a possible trade token to someone in desperate need of a defenseman. I say let him play it out. Maybe he can turn it around and garner interest. If not, just let him rot. His contract only lasts for this year and the next and I don't think we are going to have our backs against the cap by then, perhaps the year after, but not yet.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 05:32 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
We are going to be far off the cap. Why can't we just wait out Preissing? He is going to be gone before we have to re-sign Doughty etc... Don't see a great need to unload him, especially where we are sitting financially. He is just a really expensive leader for Manchester and a possible trade token to someone in desperate need of a defenseman. I say let him play it out. Maybe he can turn it around and garner interest. If not, just let him rot. His contract only lasts for this year and the next and I don't think we are going to have our backs against the cap by then, perhaps the year after, but not yet.
This

Also I think the talk of the Kings' internal cap is blown way out of proportion because of a "cash budget" comment by Lombardi in the offseason. The Celtics owners were looking to buy part of The Kings and AEG wanted the payroll as low as possible.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 05:32 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
True. I think Preissing is a little better at what he does than Goat. Preissing just didn't fit here because of TM's style and also being instantly replaced by not only Doughty, but Quincey.
Agree. I was actually surprised by apparently how well Goat was (at least with respect to the PK) for the Kings.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
2.75 for 2 more years exactly.

I picked Toronto because they have deep pockets (in terms of actual salary, as well as cap) and Burke just took control. I would think a guy like Burke can convince his owners to absorb the cost to accomplish his goals in the draft, and having the 35th and 37th overall picks will look pretty sweet to someone.

And we've all but agreed its down to just one pick. Someone else said it precisely, its literally paying for a pick. The price is steep, but Preissing isn't entirely useless, especially if you move Kaberle, Kubina or both. Preissing has very LOW value, but I don't think he quite has negative value.
Not Toronto, we traded our 2nd

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
If the Kings do sign an impact free agent this summer then Preissing would definitely put the team close to the cap....and do you really believe that with the economic climate being what it is that AEG is going to not only spend about $50 million on a team that they are supposedly losing money on with a $41 million payroll.....but they are also going to pay a guy $2.75 million a year to take up space in Manchester? You guys have not been Kings fans for very long if you think that AEG would even consider that.

Old
05-15-2009, 05:58 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

I'd rather we keep the 35th. I see major potential with that pick. Maybe a package of lesser picks, perhaps? We'll even throw in Zeiler or Ivanans.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 06:01 PM
drofnats

Interesting, but I probably wouldn't do this deal... at least in it's original format. I would want something similar to the Gauthier deal, which is for the 2nd round pick outright, not just an upgrade of picks. I don't think moving up 32 spots is enough to warrent using up cap space and limit our ability to chase UFA's like Gaborik, the Sedins or J-Bo.

drofnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
I'd rather we keep the 35th. I see major potential with that pick. Maybe a package of lesser picks, perhaps? We'll even throw in Zeiler or Ivanans.
Toronto isn't interested in castoffs or low quality pieces, especially for TP's remaining salary. If you want to move him you have to give Toronto a reason to pay for him to play in the AHL.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 06:39 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
Toronto isn't interested in castoffs or low quality pieces, especially for TP's remaining salary. If you want to move him you have to give Toronto a reason to pay for him to play in the AHL.
Then Toronto won't be getting him then. I hear Cbus has a need for a PP QB....

Old
05-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
If the Kings do sign an impact free agent this summer then Preissing would definitely put the team close to the cap....and do you really believe that with the economic climate being what it is that AEG is going to not only spend about $50 million on a team that they are supposedly losing money on with a $41 million payroll.....but they are also going to pay a guy $2.75 million a year to take up space in Manchester? You guys have not been Kings fans for very long if you think that AEG would even consider that.
You sure do put a lot of stock in that revenue assessment don't you? I mean, just about every discussion I read you always bring up that AEG is losing money. They aren't losing money. They spun the numbers so that it appeared so in order to add justification for keeping the team low on salary for the due increase this year. Lombardi told us that they can spend this year, why not wait and see?

We still fit nicely within the cap even if we add a star. Currently, after all our free agents leave, we sit at right around $40 million. Even if we add an $8 player, sign Johnson, and give an extension to Frolov we are still well below the cap.

I just don't see any problem with keeping Preissing around as long as we don't make another signing of the like. Cloutier (who we were paying more money to sit around in Manchester) is also off the books next season and McCauley the year after that.

Old
05-15-2009, 10:06 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
You sure do put a lot of stock in that revenue assessment don't you? I mean, just about every discussion I read you always bring up that AEG is losing money. They aren't losing money. They spun the numbers so that it appeared so in order to add justification for keeping the team low on salary for the due increase this year. Lombardi told us that they can spend this year, why not wait and see?

We still fit nicely within the cap even if we add a star. Currently, after all our free agents leave, we sit at right around $40 million. Even if we add an $8 player, sign Johnson, and give an extension to Frolov we are still well below the cap.

I just don't see any problem with keeping Preissing around as long as we don't make another signing of the like. Cloutier (who we were paying more money to sit around in Manchester) is also off the books next season and McCauley the year after that.
Do you think the cap will continue to increase? Most experts think it will stay put and has a chance to go down. If the Kings sign an $8 million / year player, resign Johnson to about $3 million / year it would put their cap figure at about $52 million.....that is without Preissing's $2.75 million salary....which would put the Kings over $54 million......Then the following year Cloutier would come off the books....but if you add in a $2 million raise for Frolov it would push the Kings cap figure to about $55 million....I think you are not acknowledging how much impact Preissing's cap hit could effect the Kings cap room.

Old
05-15-2009, 10:09 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Then Toronto won't be getting him then. I hear Cbus has a need for a PP QB....
Yes apparently they do but I doubt they go out and get a guy that you guys would rather have in the minors then on your big club to run their pp

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 01:07 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Do you think the cap will continue to increase? Most experts think it will stay put and has a chance to go down. If the Kings sign an $8 million / year player, resign Johnson to about $3 million / year it would put their cap figure at about $52 million.....that is without Preissing's $2.75 million salary....which would put the Kings over $54 million......Then the following year Cloutier would come off the books....but if you add in a $2 million raise for Frolov it would push the Kings cap figure to about $55 million....I think you are not acknowledging how much impact Preissing's cap hit could effect the Kings cap room.
Preissing's cap hit is included. It isn't going to fall that much and we, in the end, won't sign an $8 million player. So we are fine.

Old
05-16-2009, 01:12 AM
Zal

Quote:
Well, we could allow him to lead in Manchester, but does AEG want to pay a "leader" in Manchester $2.75m/per? That's the real question. Is AEG willing to let it ride? It's a lot money over 2 years. I guess we'll find out soon enough. His contract is probably one of the biggest focal points in the offseason, since he's an expensive non-producer at this point.

Old
05-16-2009, 01:16 AM
Zal

Quote:
Preissing's cap hit is included. It isn't going to fall that much and we, in the end, won't sign an $8 million player. So we are fine.
We won't? I think DL would sign a highly marketable player to that kind of monetary value if:

A) If the said player warrants that type of money due to his talent level. I.e. Kovalchuk.
B) The player is highly marketable(see A).

Old
05-16-2009, 05:04 AM
Primakov!

Quote:
Also keep in mind that unless the NHL closes the loophole with some type of ruling on their part, Detroit won't be the only team in the NHL that will be able to sign players to ridiculously long terms to artificially bring down a cap figure. So an $8 million player may not necessarily be an $8 million *cap hit* player.

Primakov! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 05:17 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Yes apparently they do but I doubt they go out and get a guy that you guys would rather have in the minors then on your big club to run their pp
He got sent down for various reasons. He wasn't working out in TM's new system. Later, he had his whole vertigo/concussion episode. He is still fully capable of putting up respectable numbers. Personally, I was against benching him over guys like Gauthier, but I'm not the coach. So the point is...don't write the guy off just because the coach didn't see a role for him. He'd do just fine in CBus.

Old
05-16-2009, 06:47 AM
seanlinden

Very good proposal, if I'm Toronto I'd do it without thinking twice.

The #35 pick is very early in the second round.....its something that would really help Burke move around in the 1st round, or combined with one of our 2 other 2nd rounders, could jump up into the 20-25 range easily I believe.

Preissing could be of use to us if we decide to move Kaberle.... if not we could just move Van Ryn. He's far from the world's best defenceman but we've got cap to burn this year. In terms of next year when the cap is expected to fall; the leafs would have the option of burying him in the minors.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 08:51 AM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoHo View Post
Nice proposal. TO can really make use of that 35th pick, and LA benefits by getting rid of Preissing, who has really fallen off the map since becoming a top 4 D for OTT during their run for the cup.
This never happened.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote