HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo to Flyers?

Old
05-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
You guys are all crazy. Luongo will NEVER return a player like Carter without him being resigned and if he's resigned then the Nucks have no reason to deal him.

When has Luongo played in a Conference finals??? That's right NEVER, Biron HAS PLAYED IN A CONFERENCE FINALS. There, is that so hard to understand???

In case you guys up in Vanc don't know how to go back a page or 2 and reread what I posted befroe, I'll summerize here:

Luongo will only be dealt if Vanc can't resign him and they are out of the playoff hunt before the trade deadline. The only way the Flyers inquire about obtaining him is if they are unhappy with whomever they pick up before this season begins AND they are in the playoff/division lead hunt. If all those things happen then the Flyer MAT try and aquire Luongo, however don't expect the Flyers to part with any of the pieces currently on their team that are key to their playoff success.

How hard is it for you guys to understand this??? If Luongo was signed long term and you guys HAD to trade him they yeah, I'd have not problem at all trading Carter + for him, but I wouldn't trade you one of Carter, JVR or Sbisa for Luongo straight up right now. The only ones I'd trade for him without him being extended right now is Briere, Lupul of Carle and that's it.

Is that how you measure a player's success? By the amount of times they've played in the conference finals? Hockey is a team sport and Luongo has grossly outplayed Biron, regular season or playoffs.

How hard is it for you to understand your opinion means nothing? Quit spouting off like you're in any position to know what Philadelphia management would or would not do. There's nothing wrong with letting it be known what you'd prefer to see, just stop pretending your opinion is worth anything.

If Luongo wants out of Vancouver and is willing to sign an extension in Philadelphia you can bet the Flyers will put together an enticing package if they're interested in upgrading the goaltender position. Nobody knows what Holmgren would pay, enough pretending otherwise.

You can say what you'd give up, just don't assume Holmgren thinks like you.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 08:51 PM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
And what makes you think Vancouver isn't willing to give up Luongo for a player like Briere if he really doesn't intend on re-signing in Vancouver?
Oh and what makes us think that, maybe because Mike Gillis has stated about 300 times he has no interest in trading for older players with bloated long term contracts.

That kinda gives guys an idea of what the GM is thinking.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
And what makes you think Vancouver isn't willing to give up Luongo for a player like Briere if he really doesn't intend on re-signing in Vancouver?

In some respect, us giving up Carter for Luongo is equivilant in our minds to you giving up Luongo for Briere.
Mike Gillis has stated numerous times he has zero interest in older players on longterm contracts. Daniel Briere fits that criteria.

If you giving up Carter for Luongo is the equivalent in your minds of giving up Luongo for Briere it's no wonder you come across like such a mental midget.

Has Paul Holmgren come out and said he's not interested in giving value for the most sought after goaltender in the game? Has he explicitly made comments about not moving Jeff Carter under any circumstances? If so, link the quotes and you'll have a leg to stand on.

Otherwise, just stop pretending like you have any say in the Flyers organization whatsoever. It's embarrassing.

Old
05-17-2009, 10:26 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

The rumor I heard (somewhere on this site) was Carter for Luongo, straight up.

It's a fair value deal, but I don't see either team doing it.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 10:45 PM
1025*

obviously some Phillies fans wants to send Vancouver scraps for Luongo

It just doesn't work that way.

1025* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 10:49 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1025 View Post

Luongo could make a pretty decent catcher, but probably pretty easy to steal on. I don't like Ruiz chances in net either.

Phillies and Canucks are bad trading partners IMHO.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Edler Von Gud

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Luongo could make a pretty decent catcher, but probably pretty easy to steal on. I don't like Ruiz chances in net either.

Phillies and Canucks are bad trading partners IMHO.
What do you want for Matt Stairs?

Edler Von Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 11:23 PM
twenty2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler Von Gud View Post

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 11:31 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler Von Gud View Post
I want a six pack of Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss, and a throwback Bure jersey and a conditional Kirk McLean as well (conditions are negotiable).

EDIT: You are in Canada, and Matt Stairs is Canadian. In light of these two facts, as well as Canada's wealth of solid beers, I think it only proper to accept Molson instead of Leinenkugel's, if you so chose.

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 05-17-2009 at 11:39 PM.
Old
05-17-2009, 11:31 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Is that how you measure a player's success? By the amount of times they've played in the conference finals? Hockey is a team sport and Luongo has grossly outplayed Biron, regular season or playoffs.

How hard is it for you to understand your opinion means nothing? Quit spouting off like you're in any position to know what Philadelphia management would or would not do. There's nothing wrong with letting it be known what you'd prefer to see, just stop pretending your opinion is worth anything.

If Luongo wants out of Vancouver and is willing to sign an extension in Philadelphia you can bet the Flyers will put together an enticing package if they're interested in upgrading the goaltender position. Nobody knows what Holmgren would pay, enough pretending otherwise.

You can say what you'd give up, just don't assume Holmgren thinks like you.
Mrs Pots, meet Mr Kettle (were you smart enough to get the little joke, and no I'm not talking about the obvious one). Maybe you and your fellow Nucks fans should take YOUR advice and stop acting like you know exactly what it would take for your GM to trade Luongo to our GM. Your opinion means spit too.

I never once said that Biron was > Luongo. The point was that with what you guys are DEMANDING for just 1 year of Luongo would leave us looking much like the Vanc team that Luongo hasn't been able to carry past the 2nd round of the playoffs. How would the situation be much different here in Philly??? I guess maybe I'm expecting too much believing you guys are capable of making that connection so I had to spell it out to you.

I understand that you guys probably don't get to see the Flyers very much and that you probably don't know our team very well. Here's the honest truth about the last 2 years in the playoffs for the Flyers. Last year we were pretty even with the Caps fo much of the series. Honestly, the Caps out played us in 4 of the 7 games and probably deserved to win the series. Flat out, Biron won us 2 games that we shouldn't have won. He CARRIED the Flyers in that series. Next up was the Habs, the best team in the east last year. Their players skated circles around our team and honestly, it almost looked like and AHL team vs and NHL team. Price **** the bed yeah but Biron absolutely stood on his head. He was OUTSTANDING. Even with Price stinking it up last year the Habs would most likely STILL have beaten us if it weren't for Biron playing so well. Against the Pens, Biron played average, MAF played a little bit better than him, but their team out classed us. It may pain Flyers fans to have to admit that but it was true. This year Biron was probably our best player, it just so happened that MAF played outstanding and was better than MAF. Staal made Carter invisible for most of the series. Richards did a pretty decent job of containing Crosby and Timonen/Parent contained Malkin for most of the time. Biron bailed us out and kept things close for all but 1 game. If you actually watched the Flyers last year and this year you'd know that goal tending really wasn't our achilles heel like everyone likes to say it is.

Like I've said, if Luongo is signed I'd give up a ton to get him, I wouldn't have any problem trading Carter and JVR and our 1st if needed. I can deal with 3 centers of Briere, Richards and Giroux and wings of Gagne, Lupul, Hartnell, Nodl and whatever. We NEED to hold on to Sbisa because we don't have any 1st line puck moving dmen in the system to eventually replace Timonen besides Sbisa. How can you think I under value Luongo when I'd be willing to give up Carter, JVR and a 1st??? However, I just think it's rather foolish to give up that much for only 1 year when you don't know his long term intensions.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 11:34 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1025 View Post

I've maintained that I, did you all get that, I, wouldn't give up anything sifnificant for an unsigend Luongo.

Also, some Vanc fans seem to think that Luong would return Carter, Gagne, JVR, Sbisa our 09 1st and our 2010 1st. You have retardedfanson your side too.

Old
05-18-2009, 12:13 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
What team would offer something better than Jeff Carter for Roberto Luongo? Think about it, who else would offer a 6'3", young, cheap for 2 more years, 45 goal scorer, two-way center who plays PP and PK? Or anyone that could compare to that? Nobody, and the Flyers wouldn't offer it up either. Some people amaze me.
Quote:
This. Luongo is not worth Carter let alone Carter+. I'd rather get a cheaper goalie and boost the defense.
Quote:

Like I've said, if Luongo is signed I'd give up a ton to get him, I wouldn't have any problem trading Carter and JVR and our 1st if needed. .
Such ranging opinions from 3 different Flyers fans.

Maybe Canuck fans aren't the only ones that think one of the league's top players in Luongo could in fact bring back a quality return.

Old
05-18-2009, 12:18 AM
CM-

Quote:
I've maintained that I, did you all get that, I, wouldn't give up anything sifnificant for an unsigend Luongo.

Also, some Vanc fans seem to think that Luong would return Carter, Gagne, JVR, Sbisa our 09 1st and our 2010 1st. You have retardedfanson your side too.
I'm sorry for those that think that much for Roberto, when I posted mine I was under the assumption that Luongo would sign with whoever he was dealt to for at least a couple of yours. I believe if Luongo went to Philly (and re-signed with Philly) he would be going for either Carter + JVR or for Giroux, JVR, Sbisa and possibly a pick or two (never specified where). And If you wouldn't give up much for an unsigned Luongo that is your choice where as I think Holmgren might want to as if Luongo does go to Philly (be it at the deadline or before the season. A Flyers team with Luongo is a top 3 challenger for the Cup from the East (if not the top choice). And barring this one play-off series where the Canucks got outplayed and outcoached Luongo has been a difference-maker in every series he's been in.

CM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 01:08 AM
phlocky

Quote:

Maybe Canuck fans aren't the only ones that think one of the league's top players in Luongo could in fact bring back a quality return.
A signed Luongo is worth a lot, an unsigned Luongo is not, plain and simple. I'd be very happy to get a signed Luongo ad though I might be willing to give up that much (and yes, I exagerated the deal) I highly doubt you could get nearly whay I had offered up in a deal. You'd be lucky to get 2 of the 3 I listed and then Vanc would probably have to send back a lesser quality roster player/prospect/pick to Philly to even the deal out.

Old
05-18-2009, 01:41 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
A signed Luongo is worth a lot, an unsigned Luongo is not, plain and simple.
Luongo has a NTC. Not many people would waive their NTC and bother to relocate if they had the intention of being in town for one season. So if he consented to the trade I'd think Philly could resign him.

Old
05-18-2009, 01:46 AM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Luongo has a NTC. Not many people would waive their NTC and bother to relocate if they had the intention of being in town for one season. So if he consented to the trade I'd think Philly could resign him.
Your point is very valid, and goes along with a point I have tried to make that few give any credit.

If you trade for Luongo this summer you not only get his playing rights for one season, but you get his negotiating rights for one year. Does that have value? Philly gave up a 1st rounder for the negotiating rights for Timonen and Hartnell.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 01:50 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:

Just FYI...THIS Flyers fan would swap Carter for Luongo without blinking.

I'd wrap his knick-knacks in bubble wrap and book his flight.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
A signed Luongo is worth a lot, an unsigned Luongo is not, plain and simple.
Except three years ago, a Luongo in the same contract situation(one year away from UFA) but was completely unproven in the post-season and less proven overall, could've been dealt for Vincent Lecavalier, a 26 year old, two-way 1st line center with great size and coming off a 35 goal, 75 point season. Oh and Paul Ranger was also in the mix. Why has Luongo's value dropped so much? Sure's hes got a NTC, but you can be sure that if he's willing to waive his NTC it's going to be for a team that he'd be willing to talk contract extension with.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 12:14 PM
crazyforhockey

Still think that if a trade happens it will be Schneider for say a Gagne.(Luongo resigns with Van on Jul 1)

Phi give up alot but they create cap space and get a premier goalie prospect,who would start next year in Phi................Phi is almost at the cap already(keep in mind the cap can drop 3-5 mil the following year).......................Gagne as good as he is has had concussion proplems and other injury proplems..

Now phi may say that Schneder hasnt done anything or is just a prospect,but with the cap proplems and a future franchise goalie making 984,000 for 5.25 mil=4.26 cap space and gives them a big goalie.

have not added any 2nd or 3rd picks going either way,because how good does Holgrem see Corey S. and how desperate are they with the cap proplems.50 mil needing at least
5 players....two goalies,defencman,ability to bring up some young forwards.And I didnt put in Lupul as gagne is of course much better and game in game out solid.Think better than Varlomov and ithen its a fair price.

Gagne(premier scorer) for Franchise goalie and cap space.

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 12:19 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
If Luongo is signed, the Canucks don't move him. It'd be like asking Pittsburgh for Sidney Crosby right now or Washington for Alexander Ovechkin. It just won't happen and makes zero sense from Vancouver's point of view.

If Luongo is not signed and is dealt, it certainly won't be for an aging Daniel Briere with that long-term contract. Vancouver would be in more of a rebuilding phase. I would think that something around Jeff Carter, Claude Giroux, JVR and draft picks would get it done. I know Philly fans are going to jump around and scream at this () but that's just reality. Look at what Peter Forsberg was able to get at the trade deadline...now increase that amount for being granted a franchise goalie for an ENTIRE season.

As well, it's obvious Philly would need to clear some cap space. And again, I can't stress this enough, Vancouver is NOT going to want to take Briere's contract, nor would we be interested in scraps like Jones or Lupul.

05-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Vikke
ViktorAllvin twitter

vCash: 685
Carter, Giroux, JVR AND draft picks?

The hilarity of HF never cease to amaze me.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
would think that something around Jeff Carter, Claude Giroux, JVR and draft picks would get it done. I know Philly fans are going to jump around and scream at this () but that's just reality
Reality? Yea, ok.

A 24 yr old 45 goal center, two of the top prospects in the world and draft picks? Seriously?

Luongo is great, but that's about as far from reality as you can get. No goalie in the history of the world has ever returned half that package, and neither would Luongo.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I would think that something around Jeff Carter, Claude Giroux, JVR and draft picks would get it done.
You're clearly delusional if you think that's Luongo's actual trade value.

Considering what the Canucks gave up for him, they should prepare for more of the same if he's ever dealt.

05-19-2009, 12:37 PM
T_Cage
VP of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Carter, Giroux, JVR AND draft picks?

The hilarity of HF never cease to amaze me.
You are right, HF never ceases to amaze me either. However, if any Flyer fans think Vancouver will give you Luongo for Briere, Lupul, and Carle, then you are just as hilarious if not more. My favourite were the folks who thought two garbage contracts (Briere and Lupul) were TOO MUCH to give for ROBERTO freakin LUONGO.

It's like you have the full 'spectrum of stupid' in one thread.

T_Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Cage View Post
You are right, HF never ceases to amaze me either. However, if any Flyer fans think Vancouver will give you Luongo for Briere, Lupul, and Carle, then you are just as hilarious if not more.
Agreed.

Why can't people ever just find a realistic middle ground?

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote