HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

according to Marinaro on 100%

Old
05-16-2009, 09:07 AM
12jf54

vCash: 500
This is getting ridiculous. Every single one of those journalists wants "THE SCOOP" in regards to the selling of the Habs and to make sure they have something, they just throw garbage at us. I mean come one. Quebecor ??? Damphousse??? This is sad

12jf54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 09:20 AM
momotan

That's the most far fetched one i have heard thus far. Damphouse was a major ***** disturber at the top of the NHLPA and vowed we would never see a salary cap. He was partially right, HE never saw a salary cap because as soon as it came in, he could no longer find a roster spot. Now your telling me he's gonna join the management side? He blew his reputation with the players during the strike. He's considered a failure by them as he was part Goodenow's inner circle and we all saw they were all removed/retired/fired by the NHLPA. Chances of him convincing anyone on any deal are lower than Gainey's. But he does speak perfect franglais like the rest of the province and the gang at chez parez would love to have him back blowing his wad on a daily basis. I hear they still have a good lunch buffet. It's only a 5 minute walk from the soon to be Celine Dion Star Academy center. Har Har. Tony should stop listening to louis the usher.

momotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 09:28 AM
Go Habs Go

This would mean the end of the Habs. Damphousse at the helm then the Habs hire Brunet as the coach. Habs lose 75% of their good assets through Houlish trades then starts a rebuild with a lackluster crew of scouts because Savard has already cleaned house with all the good scouting talent like Timmins. Development becomes sluggish because of poor coaching they lose too many games killing their morale. Rebuilding process is extended from a 4 year plan to a 10 year plan. The return of the dark ages!

Go Habs Go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Article from Mathias Brunet about Damphousse and Desjardins:

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...de-qualite.php

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 09:55 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
So Bob Gainey's not respected? Good gawd!

It's funny that Gainey was able to bring in big name UFA's to Dallas (Belfour, Hull, etc) but can't do it in Montreal. It's because of forces outside his power and one of them is the crazed tabloid buffoons that call themselves journalists.

By the way, what's so great about Snow? Isn't he the GM of the worst team in hockey?? That's quite the high standard.
Does people need reading lesson in here. What the **** is going on in these boards. Where the **** do I mention that Gainey is not respected. Question is: Why would Damphousse be a good candidate. Answer is what I've written. So why the heck do you bring Gainey in all of this.

Then, Gainey was able to bring the big name UFA's 'cause he was willing to overpay some players thanks to not having a salary cap. But then, Gainey was able to bring a UFA by overpaying him, see Hamrlik. Yes there are other factors, journalists, taxes, winter and so on so it is more difficult and you might have to overpay a player. In the meantime, why would a UFA player come here when you still haven't establish yourself as a winning team. As soon as you'll see a winning team, those factors won't be that problematic? Why? 'Cause what is Montreal's reputation? When you win, everything is fine, it's when you lose that it's more difficult. Well start winning, and people would like to play in that kind of environment. But if you would follow my kind of posts, you would know that I don't blame a whole lot Gainey for his inability to bring UFA's. I keep repeating a thousand times that this team needs to build on the draft. For that, every dollar and every minute should be spent in having the best crew around to draft the best players around. To have FULL time scouts everywhere (read not only the Q but everywhere...)

As far as Snow....wow, Gainey has the luxury in working on a 5-year plan and still people would keep him for life and you are giving Snow 1 year to evaluate his work? Great double standards here once again. He's the GM of the worst team but how is it his fault again? Gainey has been there 6 years and nothing is ever his fault....

Anyway, that board has become lovers of individuals. The day that Gillett leaves, this board will lose a few people. Then if/when Gainey leaves, we'll lose some others. And the final nail, when Koivu leaves, we'll lose another bunch. Then, maybe, the lovers OF THE TEAM will remain and we will start conducting ourselves as fans of this team. Strangely, seems that those fans are conducting themselves the same way that some players are handling themselves. Oriented on the individuals instead of the team concept.

Old
05-16-2009, 10:25 AM
MoonlightGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Does people need reading lesson in here. What the **** is going on in these boards. Where the **** do I mention that Gainey is not respected. Question is: Why would Damphousse be a good candidate. Answer is what I've written. So why the heck do you bring Gainey in all of this.

Then, Gainey was able to bring the big name UFA's 'cause he was willing to overpay some players thanks to not having a salary cap. But then, Gainey was able to bring a UFA by overpaying him, see Hamrlik. Yes there are other factors, journalists, taxes, winter and so on so it is more difficult and you might have to overpay a player. In the meantime, why would a UFA player come here when you still haven't establish yourself as a winning team. As soon as you'll see a winning team, those factors won't be that problematic? Why? 'Cause what is Montreal's reputation? When you win, everything is fine, it's when you lose that it's more difficult. Well start winning, and people would like to play in that kind of environment. But if you would follow my kind of posts, you would know that I don't blame a whole lot Gainey for his inability to bring UFA's. I keep repeating a thousand times that this team needs to build on the draft. For that, every dollar and every minute should be spent in having the best crew around to draft the best players around. To have FULL time scouts everywhere (read not only the Q but everywhere...)

As far as Snow....wow, Gainey has the luxury in working on a 5-year plan and still people would keep him for life and you are giving Snow 1 year to evaluate his work? Great double standards here once again. He's the GM of the worst team but how is it his fault again? Gainey has been there 6 years and nothing is ever his fault....

Anyway, that board has become lovers of individuals. The day that Gillett leaves, this board will lose a few people. Then if/when Gainey leaves, we'll lose some others. And the final nail, when Koivu leaves, we'll lose another bunch. Then, maybe, the lovers OF THE TEAM will remain and we will start conducting ourselves as fans of this team. Strangely, seems that those fans are conducting themselves the same way that some players are handling themselves. Oriented on the individuals instead of the team concept.
Good post. On HFBoards it seems no one is even allowed envision a day where Koivu, Gainey or Gillett will be gone without people saying you hate them. There is a difference between plain hate and discussing the possibility of who could possibily end up replacing them someday...

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Komi View Post
Sad but true...welcome to today's world...ME, MY SELF and I! It's that ideology that destroyed the Habs his year...young kids thinking about them first instead of the TEAM and its FANS...ie the ones who pay their salaries! Those players are the ones that need to go and be replaced by players with a better winning attitude. McDonagh, Subban and Pacioretty seem to be made of that mold, so that is promising!
They look that way because they haven't been crucified yet. I guarantee you that 2-3 years from now at least one of those guys will have a large portion of the fanbase who wants to trade them for not developing fast enough, want to run them out of town or worse.

Go back no more than a year and a half and many on this board would be arguing that Higgins was a candidate for captaincy, Sergei Kostitsyn was a feisty little bulldog, Price had a calm air about him that would lead to greatness... And ironically Lapierre was being ripped apart for being a fringe NHL player.

A losing season and now Higgins is a meth addict, Kostitsyn is a kingpin of crime and Carey Price is a depressed alcoholic. Admirably, Lapierre brought his game this year and now he's A-OK.

We like tearing the team down in this city as much as we like lauding their successes. We're all guilty of it too.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 10:30 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Tony says he's got info close to Serge Savard.

Savard buys the Habs
Quebecor buys Bell Centre and Gillette entertainment

and if Savard is head of the Habs, Gainey gets replaced by Vinny Damphousse.
yes yes yes, you read right...Vinny Damphousse

don't shoot the messenger
I don't see such a deal happening because the money maker here is more the arena than the team, why would Savard want to own a team and not get full concesions along with other gates money makers in concerts and events.

Gillett makes money with the Habs, but the real money printer is the facility.

Any new owner will want it all, why do you think all major sports owners want to own the arena or stadium?

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Mustafa*

Like if 110% needed the help of morons such as Mariano!

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 10:51 AM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Article from Mathias Brunet about Damphousse and Desjardins:

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...de-qualite.php
I am glad you bring the article back, because there was a huge contradiction in one of Desjardins' comment in the associated article.
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...ans-la-lnh.php
First, let's just say in the first article Brunet states that Damphousse and Desjardins are two of the most eloquent and intelligent interlocutors.

And in this second related article Desjardins goes on to say:
«Ça explique pourquoi les équipes américaines vont tenter d'obtenir une ou deux vedettes plutôt que de se construire des clubs gagnants. Ils parlent à Atlanta d'échanger Kovalchuk. Ils sont aussi bien de vendre l'équipe immédiatement. C'est lui que les gens vont voir. À Philadelphie, on a eu Lindros, puis Forsberg et quand Forsberg est parti, l'équipe s'est effondrée. L'année suivante, le directeur général a fait un bon travail, il a remis de bons joueurs sur la glace et dans l'amphithéâtre. Les amateurs ne viennent pas suivre une équipe de hockey professionnelle, ils veulent suivre un club gagnant
He starts by saying that because of the culture of their fans (previous paragraph), American clubs would prefer to get one or two stars instead of building a winning club. Then blablabla his way to conclude the opposite, that fans want to follow a winning club.

Either he is not smart or not eloquent. But the whole thing doesn't make sense.

I certainly conclude that I should not rely on Mathias Brunet to tell me that Damphousse is smart or not, since he obviously mischaracterized Desjardins one way or another.

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pere Noel View Post
I am glad you bring the article back, because there was a huge contradiction in one of Desjardins' comment in the associated article.
First, let's just say in the first article Brunet states that Damphousse and Desjardins are two of the most eloquent and intelligent interlocutors.

«Ça explique pourquoi les équipes américaines vont tenter d'obtenir une ou deux vedettes plutôt que de se construire des clubs gagnants. Ils parlent à Atlanta d'échanger Kovalchuk. Ils sont aussi bien de vendre l'équipe immédiatement. C'est lui que les gens vont voir. À Philadelphie, on a eu Lindros, puis Forsberg et quand Forsberg est parti, l'équipe s'est effondrée. L'année suivante, le directeur général a fait un bon travail, il a remis de bons joueurs sur la glace et dans l'amphithéâtre. Les amateurs ne viennent pas suivre une équipe de hockey professionnelle, ils veulent suivre un club gagnant
He starts by saying that because of the culture of their fans (previous paragraph), American clubs would prefer to get one or two stars instead of building a winning club. Then blablabla his way to conclude the opposite, that fans want to follow a winning club.

I certainly conclude that I should not rely on Mathias Brunet to tell me that Damphousse is smart or not, since he obviously mischaracterized Desjardins one way or another.
Et s'ils n'ont pas d'équipe gagnante alors ils iront voir la vedette, d'ou le fait qu'ils ne vont pas voir l'équipe professionelle. J'imagine que c'est ce qu'il voulait dire.

Don't see where he's wrong there.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Subban76

Quote:

He starts by saying that because of the culture of their fans (previous paragraph), American clubs would prefer to get one or two stars instead of building a winning club. Then blablabla is way to conclude the opposite, that fans want to follow a winning club.

When he talks about american clubs, he means most of them, especially the ones in the south, but the old teams like Philly, Detroit, NY don't want stars, they want wining teams.

Damphousse is an extremely smart man, he doesn't have to explain every little word for smart people like him to understand him, you're just looking for a way to bring him down by playing with is words...typical Habs fan...let's find something negative instead of something positive!

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Habsfan18
The Future

People need to stop watching these clowns.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

No Savard/Damphousse.....please.

I don't know how much of a leash Damphousse will have until Savard comes in to make some moves (and don't we remember Chelios, LeClair, Muller/Schneider [Ok, that wasn't THAT bad]).

And even then...having a guy learning on the spot for a GM doesn't seem like a great idea for a team that wants to stay competitive instead of rebuilding.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Pere Noel

Quote:
When he talks about american clubs, he means most of them, especially the ones in the south, but the old teams like Philly, Detroit, NY don't want stars, they want wining teams.

Damphousse is an extremely smart man, he doesn't have to explain every little word for smart people like him to understand him, you're just looking for a way to bring him down by playing with is words...typical Habs fan...let's find something negative instead of something positive!
Don't insult me if you don't spend the time to read. DESJARDINS said that... not DAMPHOUSSE. Should I have not spend the time to explain this to you?

PS: I liked Damphousse as a player. I would rather keep Bob Gainey as a GM. He is good. Are you happy? I showcased by positivism as a fan. (that was between the lines, I would rather keep Gainey than to hope for Damphousse based on a comment by Mathias Brunet, again using your own lingo and insulting ways, did I have to explain every little words to you?)

Last edited by Pere Noel: 05-16-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old
05-16-2009, 11:07 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Even if you would prefer to not understand what he's saying and even if you woudl be right, I will certainly not conclude on one article to determine if Desjardins and/or Damphousse are smart or not. 'Cause if we do, I can find more than one article where Gainey, Timmins, and all the great Habs minds will look not that bright...

Old
05-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Pere Noel

Quote:
And I will certainly not conclude on one article to determine if Desjardins and/or Damphousse are smart or not. 'Cause if we do, I can find more than one article where Gainey, Timmins, and all the great Habs minds will look not that bright...
You would be correct too. I stated that I could only conclude that I can not rely on Mathias Brunet's opinion.

Old
05-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Don't insult me if you don't spend the time to read. DESJARDINS said that... not DAMPHOUSSE. Should I have not spend the time to explain this to you?

PS: I liked Damphousse as a player. I would rather keep Bob Gainey as a GM. He is good. Are you happy? I showcased by positivism as a fan. (that was between the lines, I would rather keep Gainey than to hope for Damphousse based on a comment by Mathias Brunet, again, did I have to explain every little words to you)
Who cares if its Desjardins or Damphousse, I just think the way you manipulated his words and couldn't understand what he meant was...I will stay polite

Your post was pure negativism and pure BS by looking for something that wasn't there and that most people figured out on their own...except you!

Your great conclusion (sarcasm here) was that Desjardins is dumb because you couldn't understand what he said which was not hard to understand...do I need to go on!

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Habs

Savard doesn't have near enough money to purchase this team, and couldn't come close to getting the financing needed to do so.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Who cares if its Desjardins or Damphousse, I just think the way would manipulated his words and couldn't understand what he meant was...I will stay polite

Your post was pure negativism and pure BS by looking for something that wasn't there and that most people figured out on their own...except you!

Your great conclusion (sarcasm here) was that Desjardins is dumb because you couldn't understand what he said which was not hard to understand...do I need to go on!
No I never concluded that. And I did not manipulated words. I cut and pasted them for you to read; ding dong. I only concluded that I could not rely on Mathias Brunet's opinion.

I can only see that the words that Brunet wrote about Desjardins portray him as a guy who is either not intelligent or not eloquent (couldn't express his thought properly). Which are the words that Brunet used to describe him.

Anyway, enough time wasted.

Old
05-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Damphousse would not be a bad choice.

The guy knows very well the player's side of the business. He is a pretty intelligent individual and a successful business man.

With Damphousse as GM, I would not be surprised to see Patrick Roy behind the bench.
Yea Vinny is a smart guy and was a big part of the handlings of the NHL PA when he was with the Habs and after that. He and his wife are implicated in the community, he's always been a great spokesman. Plus we hear stories about how much he was a good leader when he was the Habs captain. So with that we have smarts, leadership, knows what he's doing.

He wouldn't be my first choice but I don't think it's a bad one.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 12:16 PM
MTL-rules

Only speculation and it doesn't make any sense...

For me, as long as Quebecor doesn't buy the habs, I'm happy.

As for the idea to bring Damphousse as GM, it's as retarded as it comes...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
You seem quick to give pardon to the players for their own mistakes. They went out and partied on their own and created the lockerroom mess before any of us came down on them. Fans and media did not make them selfish and party animals...they decided to to that on their own.
Get off your prudish high horse! There isn't a team in the NHL that doesn't party hard. It goes with the hockey culture and it always has. They party after home games and they party on the road. This isn't a church league! NHL teams consist of young fit men with loads of money and women at their disposal. The great Habs teams of the late-70's would put any of today's teams to shame in terms of partying magnitude.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 12:37 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
I don't pay the lawyers and doctors salaries like we pay the players, so yes we have a right of entitlement. You're mixing things together. Their role is to play and entertain us (that's the definition of their jobs), not doctors and lawyers. Yes their role is more important in the society, but also completely different than hockey players...no point of comparison betwen the 2 at all.

As for the partying, I know because me and my friends go out often and Opera was much more abused this year...MUCH MORE!!! Keep on thinking that the partying was the same as previous years

What's ridiculous is you ignoring well known facts like the fight between Kovy and the brothers. It was said many times by various journalists on various sports pannel.

What does previous years have to do with this year?

Anyways, I don't want this to turn into a internet fight. Belive what you want...I'm sure this team which was the same as the 1st place team the year before crumbled on its own for no reasons! The partying and the lockerroom mess that generated fom it certainly had nothing to do with it!
To think these hockey players have similar roles than Doctors or Lawyers is just foolish. It's not even comparable.
Hockey is a sport. To expect some 20ish year old kids to be role models is dumb.

As for the partying, NO, it's not much worse. I know this because I can organize you a party that Higgins, O'byrne, Komi, Gorges, Price and Chipchura(when in town) will all attend too.
The partying is exactly the same as last year. It's not because you saw them more often at Opera that they weren't partying elsewhere last year.
Med, Buona Note, Time, Confessional, Santos, Opera, Cavali, I've seen the Habs last year at all these places.
Streit went out with a friend of mine when he was here, so I tell you this with 100% assurance, the Partying last year was just as intense, if not more, than this year.

So stop talking out of your ass by saying it was much worse this year. It wasn't the case at all.

As for the Kovalev vs Kost broz. I only heard Jean Perron mention this and his credibility is as good as a turd.
What he said was that, allegedly, the Kost broz didn't listen to Kovalev anymore and he was fed up.
But there was no fight, and I don't even believe Perron.
Since you seem to say it was a well known fact, you won't have any problems finding any related articles and facts that will prove it.
I'll be waiting for your sources.

You like to blame the bad season we had off rumors such as too much partying and ''locker room mess'', instead of blaming on true facts like injuries to key players at the worst possibly time.
Very smart I must say.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Yea Vinny is a smart guy and was a big part of the handlings of the NHL PA when he was with the Habs and after that. He and his wife are implicated in the community, he's always been a great spokesman. Plus we hear stories about how much he was a good leader when he was the Habs captain. So with that we have smarts, leadership, knows what he's doing.

He wouldn't be my first choice but I don't think it's a bad one.
He has zero experience.

Steve Yzerman has passed up opportunities to interview for GM jobs because there is so much to learn in the business and he wants to be completely ready when he takes his first job. Vinny may be smart and a great guy but he'd be in over his head. The GM job is so much more complex with the salary cap and shorter tenures until free agency. I don't want to have a GM, with no experience even as an assistant GM, learning on the fly.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote